Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Number of Fatal ODs
We Just Suffered Is Huge
Nov 17, 2021 11:30 AM CST
The Number of Fatal ODs We Just Suffered Is Huge
Number crests 100K for first time ever
- As if COVID wasn't enough of a mortality whammy, now this: The CDC on Wednesday announced that Americans suffered more than 100,000 drug overdose deaths in a 12-month period for the first time ever. Between May 2019 and April 2020 there were 78,056 overdose deaths. Over the...
FBI: Fetty Wap
Oct 29, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
FBI: Fetty Wap Helped Flood Long Island With Drugs
Rapper busted by FBI Thursday at music fest at NYC's Citi Field
- Fetty Wap has had his fair share of legal trouble over the past few years, and he's now got another woe to add to the list. WABC reports the 30-year-old rapper, real name William Junior Maxwell II, was arrested Thursday by FBI agents at Citi Field in Queens, NY....
Plea Deal in
Oct 27, 2021 1:30 AM CDT
Man Strikes Plea Deal in Mac Miller's Fentanyl Death
Stephen Walter was involved in the supply chain of fentanyl-laced counterfeit oxycodone
One of the three men arrested in connection with rapper Mac Miller's 2018 death has struck a plea deal. Stephen Walter, 48, pleaded guilty to distributing fentanyl-laced counterfeit oxycodone pills, and the more serious charges will be dropped,
reports. He'll spend 17 years behind bars....
Family Doctor's Big Secret:
$9K a Week Pushing Fentanyl
Apr 4, 2021 7:01 AM CDT
Family Doctor's Big Secret: $9K a Week Pushing Fentanyl
'Toronto Life' recounts the case of George Otto
- About a decade ago, the province of Ontario, Canada, set up a monitoring system to prevent bogus opioid prescriptions, a system designed to flag shady doctors or pharmacists. "But what happens when a bad doctor meets a bad pharmacist?" writes Brett Popplewell in
. "The system wasn’...
'Shattered:' TV Host's Son Dies
of Drugs Ordered on Snapchat
Feb 10, 2021 8:36 AM CST
'Shattered:' TV Host's Son Dies of Drugs Ordered on Snapchat
Dr. Laura Berman hopes speaking out will prevent another child's death
- Sex and relationship therapist Dr. Laura Berman, an OWN TV host , says she discovered her 16-year-old son's lifeless body Sunday following an overdose with drugs he purchased on Snapchat. "My beautiful boy is gone. 16 years old. Sheltering at home," Berman writes of Samuel Berman Chapman on...
7 First Responders
Sickened at Bridge Crash
Sep 15, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
7 First Responders Sickened at Bridge Crash
7 exposed to what authorities believe was fentanyl on San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge
- A section of the Golden Gate Bridge was deemed an accident scene, a crime scene, and a hazmat scene in one fell swoop over the weekend after first responders started becoming ill while responding to a car crash. Per KGO , officers got a call just before noon on Sunday about...
Drug Raids Reveal
May 19, 2020 7:05 PM CDT
Drug Raids Reveal 'Unprecedented' Fentanyl Production
Asian syndicates might be treating pandemic as a 'business opportunity'
- Raids on clandestine labs in Myanmar resulted in drug seizures that were "truly off the charts," authorities say. AFP reports that the raids on dozens of labs in remote Shan state between February and April unearthed hundreds of pounds of heroin and raw opium, along with the largest...
This Is How He Died
May 16, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Actor: This Is How He Died
Marlyse Williams speaks out about Logan's death
- Logan Williams' death remains tragic, but at least the cause is known—and might help others avoid the same fate. His grieving mother, Marlyse, has stepped into the media spotlight to explain how
star died suddenly on April 2 at age 16. "His death is not going...
Rep: TobyMac's Son Died
of Accidental Overdose
Jan 22, 2020 8:51 AM CST
Rep: TobyMac's Son Died of Accidental Overdose
Truett Foster McKeehan ODed on amphetamines, fentanyl
- In October, the 21-year-old son of Christian rapper TobyMac (real name: Kevin McKeehan) died suddenly at his Tennessee home. Now, the cause of Truett Foster McKeehan's death has come to light. A rep for TobyMac tells
that the younger McKeehan accidentally overdosed on a mix of fentanyl and...
9 Sentenced in China After
Tip From US About 'Diana'
Nov 7, 2019 1:57 AM CST
9 Sentenced in China After Tip From US About 'Diana'
All were fentanyl traffickers
- A Chinese court sentenced nine fentanyl traffickers Thursday in a case that was a culmination of a rare collaboration between Chinese and US law enforcement to crack down on global networks that manufacture and distribute lethal synthetic opioids. Liu Yong was sentenced to death with a two-year reprieve, while Jiang...
A Teen's 2015 OD Death Had
Link to Something Much Bigger
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 27, 2019 6:47 AM CDT
A Teen's 2015 OD Death Had Link to Something Much Bigger
Alex W. Palmer goes deep into a global fentanyl ring
- Prepare to feel pretty worn out after reading Alex W. Palmer's lengthy dive into a global fentanyl ring for the
New York Times
. The piece is staggering in its scope—in terms of distance (it bounces between Hong Kong, North Dakota, and Florida, among other locales), timeline, and complexity....
Mom of 'Emo Rapper'
Sues Over His Death
Oct 8, 2019 4:33 PM CDT
Mom of 'Emo Rapper' Sues Over His Death
Lil Peep's mother blames his managers for his overdose
- Lil Peep died of a drug overdose at age 21 , and nearly two years after the death of the "emo rapper" on a tour bus, his mother is suing. Liza Womack says in her suit that her son was "stressed, overwhelmed, burnt out, exhausted and physically unwell" before...
Doctor Who Gave Every Patient
Opioids Sentenced to 40 Years
Oct 4, 2019 5:23 AM CDT
Doctor Who Gave Every Patient Opioids Sentenced to 40 Years
He 'hid behind his doctor's coat as a large-scale drug dealer'
- A Virginia doctor who never met a patient he didn't prescribe opioids to has been sentenced to 40 years in prison. Prosecutors say Dr. Joel Smithers, 36, prescribed more than 500,000 doses of opioids in less than two years at his practice in Martinsville, population 13,000, before...
Before OD Death
Oct 3, 2019 7:40 AM CDT
Vine Founder Texted 'Candyshop' Before OD Death
6 charged with conspiring to distribute drugs in NYC
- Six people who allegedly operated a drug delivery service called Mike's Candyshop have been arrested in connection with the overdose death of Vine founder Colin Kroll. The suspects, ages 25 to 38, each face a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison on a charge of conspiring to...
One Partygoer Made Wise
Choice to Refuse a 'Bump'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 29, 2019 12:15 PM CDT
One Partygoer Made Wise Choice to Refuse a 'Bump'
Police unravel what led to overdoses in Pittsburgh apartment
- Authorities in Pittsburgh say they've largely unraveled the story of how three men wearing orange wristbands ended up dead in a Pittsburgh apartment building last weekend. Authorities received help from a witness who made a possibly lifesaving choice in refusing to sniff white powder from a knife. The details:...
China Says Trump's
Fentanyl Claims Are False
Sep 3, 2019 3:48 AM CDT
China Says Trump's Fentanyl Claims Are False
'What Trump said is completely groundless and untrue'
- China said Tuesday that it's not the source of the fentanyl that's killing Americans, contrary to President Trump's recent tweets blaming China for the drug deaths. At a briefing for the National Narcotics Control Commission, China reiterated that it is making extensive efforts toward controlling the synthetic...
Doctor With Vendetta Accused
of Cooking Up Crazy Plot
Aug 29, 2019 8:08 AM CDT
Doctor With Vendetta Accused of Cooking Up Crazy Plot
Michigan's Daniel Schwarz allegedly asked recovering addict to kill attorney with fentanyl
- "It sounds like a James Bond movie," observes a post at WXYZ in Detroit. The comparison is apt: The story involves a doctor who allegedly aimed to have an attorney killed for revenge, with fentanyl as the weapon of choice and a meth addict as the alleged hitman....
After Chef's Sudden Death,
Drug Charges for Woman
Aug 26, 2019 6:55 PM CDT
After Chef's Sudden Death, Drug Charges for Woman
Court filings in Andrea Zamperoni case involve fentanyl
- A woman has been charged with drug crimes connected to the death of Andrea Zamperoni, a prominent New York chef whose body was found Wednesday in a hostel in Queens. Angelina Barini, 41, faces charges involving conspiracy to distribute drugs that contained fentanyl, NBC reports. Court documents say she's...
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled
Out 750K Prescriptions
Jul 31, 2019 8:39 AM CDT
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled Out 750K Prescriptions
For over 10 years, Kim Thien Le worked as Bay Area pharmacist without license: Xavier Becerra
- For more than 10 years, Kim Thien Le handed out scads of prescriptions as a pharmacist at a handful of Walgreens stores in the Bay Area—nearly 750,000 scripts when all was said and done, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra noted Tuesday. The problem, per the AG's statement:...
Is Putting CBP
Agents at Risk
Jul 20, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Report: Fentanyl Is Putting CBP Agents at Risk
CBP has enough fentanyl to kill roughly 794M people
- Fentanyl is pouring into America, and that's putting border officers at risk. Homeland Security released a report Friday saying border agents are seizing and storing more of the dangerous drug but aren't receiving proper protection, ABC News reports. With US Customs and Border Protection grabbing enough fentanyl in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Food Prices May Spike Again, Thanks to a New Shortage
Crazy Homecoming Scandal May Result in Serious Jail Time
Stowaway Endures Over 2-Hour Flight Inside Plane Landing Gear
Smash and Grab Turns Deadly for Former Officer
Fauci Says US Could Face 'Fifth Wave' as Omicron Spreads
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.