Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Blamed for Deaths of 3
'High-Achieving' New Yorkers
Oct 24, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Fentanyl-Laced Cocaine Blamed for Deaths of 3 'High-Achieving' New Yorkers
Police say the buyers were unaware that the coke they ordered contained deadly synthetic opioid
- It's no secret that—although the heady
Wolf of Wall Street
days have passed—cocaine has remained popular among many high-achieving professionals in New York City. Per the
Wall Street Journal ,
those professionals included Ross Mtangi, 40, a trading executive at Credit Suisse Group; Julia Ghahramani, 26, a first-year...
Suspect Got Away After
Huge Fentanyl Seizure
Oct 4, 2022 5:46 PM CDT
Suspect Got Away After Huge Fentanyl Seizure
He promised to lead DEA agents to drug kingpins but removed tracking device
- In July, Drug Enforcement Administration agents in Colorado boasted about seizing 114 pounds of pure fentanyl in the biggest-ever seizure of the deadly synthetic opioid on a US highway—but they were quieter about what happened to the alleged drug mule. The suspect, 27-year-old David Maldonado, agreed to cooperate with...
4 Students Overdose
on Same Day—1 Fatally
Sep 16, 2022 9:54 AM CDT
4 Students Overdose on Same Day—1 Fatally
Girl, 15, found dead in Los Angeles school bathroom; 2 teenage boys have been arrested
- A 15-year-old girl bought pills at her high school before dying in a campus bathroom on Tuesday. But "this was not an overdose. This was murder," Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti tweeted Thursday after police made arrests in connection with the overdose death and the overdoses of three...
Drugs He Sold Killed 11 People.
He's Going to Jail for Life
Sep 14, 2022 2:31 AM CDT
Drugs He Sold Killed 11 People. He's Going to Jail for Life
Customers thought they were buying one drug, got a more dangerous one
- In 2016, drugs sold by Aaron Broussard killed 11 people and left others seriously injured. On Tuesday, the Minnesota 31-year-old was sentenced to life in prison, NPR reports. "Although the trauma felt by the victims can never be undone and the true cost can never be calculated, Mr. Broussard...
2 Cartels Are Keeping
America Flush With Fentanyl
Aug 30, 2022 4:48 PM CDT
2 Cartels Are Keeping America Flush With Fentanyl
'Wall Street Journal' looks at how the Sinaloa, Jalisco cartels ended up supplying the US after China cracked down
- He's a 25-year-old cook who works six days a week and pulls in about $10,000 a month. It's a lucrative gig, but also an illegal one: He's cooking fentanyl that will be smuggled into the US, and his one-person lab churns out the equivalent of hundreds...
Jul 7, 2022 7:33 AM CDT
Scott Adams Offers Eyebrow- Raising Take on Troubled Young Men
'Dilbert' creator sees only 2 options available: 'murder your own son or watch him die'
- Scott Adams has had controversial takes on gun violence before, but his latest one, on the Highland Park mass shooting , is spurring backlash from those speaking on mental health illness and addiction. The 65-year-old creator of the
cartoon strip posted an eyebrow-raising series of tweets on Wednesday that discussed...
Kills 9 in Florida
Jul 6, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
Authorities suspect other drugs were tainted with fentanyl
- Nine people died over the holiday weekend in Gadsden County, Florida, in what officials are calling a "potential mass fentanyl poisoning event." Two women were found dead of an apparent drug overdose Friday, prompting the Gadsden County Sheriff's Office to issue an alert regarding drugs potentially tainted...
Canada Takes Bold Step to
'Remove the Shame' on Drugs
Jun 1, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
Canada Takes Bold Step to 'Remove the Shame' on Drugs
Small amounts of 'hard' drugs to be temporarily decriminalized in British Columbia to fight ODs
- If you're busted in British Columbia with a small amount of hard drugs, you could soon see some grace, thanks to an innovative new program designed to deal with the OD crisis. The BBC reports that, starting at the end of January, drugs like cocaine, methamphetamine, MDMA (ecstasy), and...
Stat on Drug
May 11, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
CDC Reveals 'Truly Staggering' Stat on Drug Overdoses
More than 107K Americans suffered fatal ODs last year
- More than 107,000 Americans died of drug overdoses last year, setting another tragic record in the nation's escalating overdose epidemic, the CDC estimated Wednesday. The provisional 2021 total translates to roughly one US overdose death every five minutes. It marked a 15% increase from the previous record, set...
Report: Novelist's Son Dies
of OD After Baby's Drug Death
Apr 28, 2022 1:48 PM CDT
Report: Novelist's Son Dies of OD After Baby's Drug Death
Daniel Auster was charged earlier this month in daughter's death
- Novelist Paul Auster has now lost both his only son and his baby granddaughter to drugs. Law enforcement sources tell the
New York Post
that Daniel Auster, 44, died Tuesday from what is believed to be an accidental drug overdose. Less than 10 days earlier, Auster was charged with manslaughter,...
Doctor Acquitted of Murder
in 14 Fentanyl Deaths
Apr 20, 2022 12:33 PM CDT
Doctor Acquitted of Murder in 14 Fentanyl Deaths
Prosecutors alleged William Husel killed critically ill patients with fentanyl overdoses
- After six days of deliberations, a jury in Ohio decided that a doctor accused of killing multiple patients with fentanyl overdoses is not a murderer. William Husel was acquitted Wednesday of 14 counts of murder, all involving critically ill patients in the Columbus-area Mount Carmel Health System, NBC reports. The...
Study Reveals Startling
Stat on Synthetic Opioids
Mar 31, 2022 2:49 PM CDT
Study Reveals Startling Stat on Synthetic Opioids
Seizures of pills tainted with fentanyl are up 50-fold in just 4 years
- A new study led by New York University has a stat about drug seizures that speaks volumes about the nation's fentanyl problem : In the first quarter of 2018, authorities seized about 42,000 pills containing the highly potent drug, per the National Institutes of Health . In the last quarter...
Spring Break Goes Badly
for West Point Cadets
Mar 12, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Spring Break Goes Badly for West Point Cadets
7 people were hospitalized in Fort Lauderdale after ODing on powdery substance laced with fentanyl
- Spring break in Fort Lauderdale didn't end well for one group this week, with seven people hospitalized after ODing on fentanyl, several of them confirmed to be West Point cadets. Police say that Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue responded to a call at a vacation rental home in Wilton Manors...
Feb 2, 2022 6:45 PM CST
4 Arrested in
Actor's Overdose Death
Men allegedly sold Michael K. Williams fentanyl-laced heroin
- Four men accused of selling actor Michael K. Williams the fentanyl-laced heroin that killed him have been arrested and could be facing long prison sentences. Williams, best known for playing Omar Little in
, died in September from what officials ruled was an accidental drug overdose. The 54-year-old was...
Cops Tasked With
Jan 31, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Cops Tasked With Investigating Black Women's Deaths Suspended
Families of Lauren Smith-Fields, Brenda Rawls say police in Bridgeport, Conn., bungled probes
Two Connecticut police officers involved with investigating the deaths of two Black women have been suspended and placed on administrative leave during an internal affairs probe, reports CBS News . In a Sunday statement, Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim said he was "extremely disappointed" with his city's police department...
Police Find 100 Bags of
Fentanyl in Dead Boy's Room
Jan 27, 2022 12:57 AM CST
Police Find 100 Bags of Fentanyl in Dead Boy's Room
Authorities are still investigating how he got the dangerous drug
- The 13-year-old boy who collapsed at his Connecticut school after ingesting fentanyl and died two days later had 100 bags of the synthetic opioid in his bedroom, authorities say. Sixty bags had been found at the school after the incident, ABC News reports, and the 100 bags found in the...
Boy, 13, Dies After
Collapsing at School
Jan 17, 2022 3:01 AM CST
Boy, 13, Dies After Ingesting Fentanyl, Collapsing at School
It's not clear how he got access to the dangerous opioid
- A 13-year-old Connecticut boy died Saturday, two days after collapsing during gym class in his school's gymnasium due to a fentanyl overdose. Two other students who came in contact with the drug and were hospitalized at the same time have been released,
reports. The mayor of Hartford,...
It Took 8 Narcan Doses to Save
Her. That Was Just the Start
Dec 12, 2021 5:00 PM CST
It Took 8 Narcan Doses to Save Her. That Was Just the Start
A fentanyl-addicted daughter, and the mother who tried to help her
- Laurie Steves made the drive alone from Port Orchard, Wash., to San Francisco this May. Kind of. As Heather Knight writes in a lengthy story for the
San Francisco Chronicle
, she had the ashes of her son Zachary in the car. The 25-year-old had died of a fentanyl and ketamine...
The Number of Fatal ODs
We Just Suffered Is Huge
Nov 17, 2021 11:30 AM CST
The Number of Fatal ODs We Just Suffered Is Huge
Number crests 100K for first time ever
- As if COVID wasn't enough of a mortality whammy, now this: The CDC on Wednesday announced that Americans suffered more than 100,000 drug overdose deaths in a 12-month period for the first time ever. Between May 2019 and April 2020 there were 78,056 overdose deaths. Over the...
FBI: Fetty Wap
Oct 29, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
FBI: Fetty Wap Helped Flood Long Island With Drugs
Rapper busted by FBI Thursday at music fest at NYC's Citi Field
- Fetty Wap has had his fair share of legal trouble over the past few years, and he's now got another woe to add to the list. WABC reports the 30-year-old rapper, real name William Junior Maxwell II, was arrested Thursday by FBI agents at Citi Field in Queens, NY....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
Cops Issue 'Clarification' on Murder of Idaho Students
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.