Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
7 First Responders Sickened at Bridge Crash
7 exposed to what authorities believe was fentanyl on San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge
- A section of the Golden Gate Bridge was deemed an accident scene, a crime scene, and a hazmat scene in one fell swoop over the weekend after first responders started becoming ill while responding to a car crash. Per KGO , officers got a call just before noon on Sunday about...
Drug Raids Reveal 'Unprecedented' Fentanyl Production
Asian syndicates might be treating pandemic as a 'business opportunity'
- Raids on clandestine labs in Myanmar resulted in drug seizures that were "truly off the charts," authorities say. AFP reports that the raids on dozens of labs in remote Shan state between February and April unearthed hundreds of pounds of heroin and raw opium, along with the largest...
Actor: This Is How He Died
Marlyse Williams speaks out about Logan's death
- Logan Williams' death remains tragic, but at least the cause is known—and might help others avoid the same fate. His grieving mother, Marlyse, has stepped into the media spotlight to explain how
star died suddenly on April 2 at age 16. "His death is not going...
Rep: TobyMac's Son Died of Accidental Overdose
Truett Foster McKeehan ODed on amphetamines, fentanyl
- In October, the 21-year-old son of Christian rapper TobyMac (real name: Kevin McKeehan) died suddenly at his Tennessee home. Now, the cause of Truett Foster McKeehan's death has come to light. A rep for TobyMac tells
that the younger McKeehan accidentally overdosed on a mix of fentanyl and...
9 Sentenced in China After Tip From US About 'Diana'
All were fentanyl traffickers
- A Chinese court sentenced nine fentanyl traffickers Thursday in a case that was a culmination of a rare collaboration between Chinese and US law enforcement to crack down on global networks that manufacture and distribute lethal synthetic opioids. Liu Yong was sentenced to death with a two-year reprieve, while Jiang...
A Teen's 2015 OD Death Had Link to Something Much Bigger
Alex W. Palmer goes deep into a global fentanyl ring
- Prepare to feel pretty worn out after reading Alex W. Palmer's lengthy dive into a global fentanyl ring for the
New York Times
. The piece is staggering in its scope—in terms of distance (it bounces between Hong Kong, North Dakota, and Florida, among other locales), timeline, and complexity....
Mom of 'Emo Rapper' Sues Over His Death
Lil Peep's mother blames his managers for his overdose
- Lil Peep died of a drug overdose at age 21 , and nearly two years after the death of the "emo rapper" on a tour bus, his mother is suing. Liza Womack says in her suit that her son was "stressed, overwhelmed, burnt out, exhausted and physically unwell" before...
Doctor Who Gave Every Patient Opioids Sentenced to 40 Years
He 'hid behind his doctor's coat as a large-scale drug dealer'
- A Virginia doctor who never met a patient he didn't prescribe opioids to has been sentenced to 40 years in prison. Prosecutors say Dr. Joel Smithers, 36, prescribed more than 500,000 doses of opioids in less than two years at his practice in Martinsville, population 13,000, before...
Vine Founder Texted 'Candyshop' Before OD Death
6 charged with conspiring to distribute drugs in NYC
- Six people who allegedly operated a drug delivery service called Mike's Candyshop have been arrested in connection with the overdose death of Vine founder Colin Kroll. The suspects, ages 25 to 38, each face a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison on a charge of conspiring to...
One Partygoer Made Wise Choice to Refuse a 'Bump'
Police unravel what led to overdoses in Pittsburgh apartment
- Authorities in Pittsburgh say they've largely unraveled the story of how three men wearing orange wristbands ended up dead in a Pittsburgh apartment building last weekend. Authorities received help from a witness who made a possibly lifesaving choice in refusing to sniff white powder from a knife. The details:...
3rd Man Arrested in Connection to Mac Miller's Death
Stephen Walter allegedly sold pills to Cameron Pettit, who allegedly sold them to Miller
- A third man has been arrested and charged with drug offenses in connection with the overdose death of rapper Mac Miller, the AP reports. Court documents show Stephen Walter is suspected of selling counterfeit oxycodone pills laced with fentanyl that Miller possessed before he died of an accidental overdose last...
China Says Trump's Fentanyl Claims Are False
'What Trump said is completely groundless and untrue'
- China said Tuesday that it's not the source of the fentanyl that's killing Americans, contrary to President Trump's recent tweets blaming China for the drug deaths. At a briefing for the National Narcotics Control Commission, China reiterated that it is making extensive efforts toward controlling the synthetic...
Doctor With Vendetta Accused of Cooking Up Crazy Plot
Michigan's Daniel Schwarz allegedly asked recovering addict to kill attorney with fentanyl
- "It sounds like a James Bond movie," observes a post at WXYZ in Detroit. The comparison is apt: The story involves a doctor who allegedly aimed to have an attorney killed for revenge, with fentanyl as the weapon of choice and a meth addict as the alleged hitman....
After Chef's Sudden Death, Drug Charges for Woman
Court filings in Andrea Zamperoni case involve fentanyl
- A woman has been charged with drug crimes connected to the death of Andrea Zamperoni, a prominent New York chef whose body was found Wednesday in a hostel in Queens. Angelina Barini, 41, faces charges involving conspiracy to distribute drugs that contained fentanyl, NBC reports. Court documents say she's...
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled Out 750K Prescriptions
For over 10 years, Kim Thien Le worked as Bay Area pharmacist without license: Xavier Becerra
- For more than 10 years, Kim Thien Le handed out scads of prescriptions as a pharmacist at a handful of Walgreens stores in the Bay Area—nearly 750,000 scripts when all was said and done, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra noted Tuesday. The problem, per the AG's statement:...
Report: Fentanyl Is Putting CBP Agents at Risk
CBP has enough fentanyl to kill roughly 794M people
- Fentanyl is pouring into America, and that's putting border officers at risk. Homeland Security released a report Friday saying border agents are seizing and storing more of the dangerous drug but aren't receiving proper protection, ABC News reports. With US Customs and Border Protection grabbing enough fentanyl in...
Cops Applaud 'Courage' of Kid Who Brought Meth to School
Young boy essentially turned in parents
- Police in Washington state are praising a young boy for bringing drugs to school—because he did so to get help regarding his parents. The
New York Daily News
cites a Facebook post from the Kennewick PD that relays what happened Wednesday when the "elementary school-aged child" showed up...
Cops: Doctor Prescribed Too Much Fentanyl, Killed 25
William Husel has been charged in the 25 deaths
- Authorities say an Ohio doctor is responsible for the deaths of 25 patients for whom he prescribed excessive doses of the opioid painkiller fentanyl. William Husel has been charged in all those deaths following a six-month investigation, reports NBC News , which calls the deaths "a stunning case of medical...
Pharma Exec Convicted in Sensational Opioid Case
John Kapoor's Insys Therapeutics used illegal tactics to sell its fentanyl spray
- A pharmaceutical company founder accused of paying doctors millions in bribes to prescribe a highly addictive fentanyl spray was convicted Thursday in a case that exposed such marketing tactics as using a stripper-turned-sales-rep to give a physician a lap dance. John Kapoor, the 76-year-old former chairman of Insys Therapeutics, was...
Pentagon, DHS Thinking of Naming New WMD
'Because of its strength, it's like nothing else that we've seen'
- Fentanyl is already killing a staggering number of Americans—30,000 in 2017 alone, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse—and authorities say it would be "disturbingly easy" to use the synthetic opioid in a terrorist attack. Pentagon and Homeland Security officials are considering designating the drug...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ken Jennings Blasted for Tweet He Chose Not to Delete
Doctor Has 'Chilling' Warning in Viral COVID Video
SCOTUS Sides With Religious Groups Over COVID Restrictions
'Zombie' COVID-Infected Mink Re-Emerging From Graves
DOJ to Allow for Federal Execution by Firing Squad
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.