Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled
Out 750K Prescriptions
Jul 31, 2019 8:39 AM CDT
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled Out 750K Prescriptions
For over 10 years, Kim Thien Le worked as Bay Area pharmacist without license: Xavier Becerra
- For more than 10 years, Kim Thien Le handed out scads of prescriptions as a pharmacist at a handful of Walgreens stores in the Bay Area—nearly 750,000 scripts when all was said and done, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra noted Tuesday. The problem, per the AG's statement:...
Is Putting CBP
Agents at Risk
Jul 20, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Report: Fentanyl Is Putting CBP Agents at Risk
CBP has enough fentanyl to kill roughly 794M people
- Fentanyl is pouring into America, and that's putting border officers at risk. Homeland Security released a report Friday saying border agents are seizing and storing more of the dangerous drug but aren't receiving proper protection, ABC News reports. With US Customs and Border Protection grabbing enough fentanyl in...
'Courage' of Kid
Meth to School
Jun 7, 2019 8:47 AM CDT
Cops Applaud 'Courage' of Kid Who Brought Meth to School
Young boy essentially turned in parents
- Police in Washington state are praising a young boy for bringing drugs to school—because he did so to get help regarding his parents. The
New York Daily News
cites a Facebook post from the Kennewick PD that relays what happened Wednesday when the "elementary school-aged child" showed up...
Cops: Doctor Prescribed Too
Much Fentanyl, Killed 25
Jun 5, 2019 1:35 PM CDT
Cops: Doctor Prescribed Too Much Fentanyl, Killed 25
William Husel has been charged in the 25 deaths
- Authorities say an Ohio doctor is responsible for the deaths of 25 patients for whom he prescribed excessive doses of the opioid painkiller fentanyl. William Husel has been charged in all those deaths following a six-month investigation, reports NBC News , which calls the deaths "a stunning case of medical...
May 2, 2019 4:49 PM CDT
Pharma Exec Convicted in Sensational Opioid Case
John Kapoor's Insys Therapeutics used illegal tactics to sell its fentanyl spray
- A pharmaceutical company founder accused of paying doctors millions in bribes to prescribe a highly addictive fentanyl spray was convicted Thursday in a case that exposed such marketing tactics as using a stripper-turned-sales-rep to give a physician a lap dance. John Kapoor, the 76-year-old former chairman of Insys Therapeutics, was...
Pentagon, DHS Thinking
of Naming New WMD
Apr 22, 2019 7:06 AM CDT
Pentagon, DHS Thinking of Naming New WMD
'Because of its strength, it's like nothing else that we've seen'
- Fentanyl is already killing a staggering number of Americans—30,000 in 2017 alone, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse—and authorities say it would be "disturbingly easy" to use the synthetic opioid in a terrorist attack. Pentagon and Homeland Security officials are considering designating the drug...
DEA Busts a Staggering
Amount of Fentanyl
Mar 3, 2019 10:34 AM CST
DEA Busts a Staggering Amount of Fentanyl
Enough to kill 2M people found in house in Westchester, NY
- "The fentanyl alone has the potency to kill nearly over 2 million people." This from Ray Donovan, special agent with the New York division of the DEA, about a drug bust on Friday morning in suburban Westchester County that yielded five kilos of fentanyl and six kilos of...
Massive Fentanyl Bust
Is Largest in US History
Jan 31, 2019 3:03 PM CST
Massive Fentanyl Bust Is Largest in US History
254 pounds of the synthetic opioid seized
- US Customs and Border Protection officials announced Thursday their biggest fentanyl bust ever, saying they captured nearly 254 pounds of the deadly synthetic opioid from a secret compartment inside a load of Mexican produce heading into Arizona, the AP reports. The drug was found hidden Saturday morning in a compartment...
1 Dead, 12 Hospitalized
After Calif. 'Mass Overdose'
Jan 14, 2019 12:11 AM CST
1 Dead, 12 Hospitalized After Calif. 'Mass Overdose'
Police believe fentanyl is to blame
- The powerful opioid fentanyl is believed to have caused what police in Chico, Calif., are calling a "mass casualty incident" Saturday morning. Authorities say one person died and another 12 were hospitalized after a mass overdose. Chico Fire Department Chief Steve Standridge says every ambulance in the city was...
Inmate Found Hanged in Cell
After Execution Called Off
Jan 7, 2019 12:07 AM CST
Inmate Found Hanged in Cell After Execution Called Off
Nevada inmate Scott Dozier said he had been 'very clear' about desire to be executed
- A twice-convicted murderer who had repeatedly said he wanted to die by lethal injection was found dead in his death-row prison cell in Nevada from an apparent hanging, officials said Saturday. Scott Raymond Dozier, 48, was found unresponsive in his solo cell at the state's maximum-security prison in Ely,...
Fentanyl Now the
Deadliest Drug in the US
Dec 12, 2018 1:17 PM CST
Fentanyl Now the Deadliest Drug in the US
It overtakes heroin on ranking of fatal overdoses
- Fentanyl killed 18,335 people in the US in 2016—the most of any drug, making the synthetic opioid the deadliest drug in America. Health officials announced the new ranking of overdose deaths from 2016, the most recent year for which data is available, on Wednesday. It's fentanyl's...
Even 'Dark Web' Dealers
Refuse to Sell This Drug
Dec 2, 2018 1:50 PM CST
Even 'Dark Web' Dealers Refuse to Sell This Drug
Some sellers say fentanyl is just too dangerous
- Fentanyl suppliers on the so-called "dark web" are delisting the drug because it's just too dangerous—and tends to attract police attention, the
reports. If true, the move places fentanyl alongside explosives and certain firearms that are too risky for some purveyors to sell. "There are...
Wins FDA Approval
Nov 5, 2018 10:50 AM CST
Super-Potent Opioid Wins FDA Approval
Dsuvia will be tightly controlled, the FDA promises
- It's called Dsuvia, and the potency of this opioid is hard to fathom: It's up to 1,000 times stronger than morphine and up to 10 times stronger than fentanyl, reports
. Despite the worries of critics that it will add to the nation's opioid problem,...
OD Deaths in US Last Year
Nov 2, 2018 4:47 PM CDT
Record-Breaking Drug OD Deaths in US Last Year
200 people died per day in US in 2017, per the DEA
- Drug overdose deaths hit the highest level ever recorded in the US last year, with an estimated 200 people dying per day, according to a report by the DEA. Most of that was the result of a record number of opioid-related deaths. Preliminary figures show more than 72,000 people...
Addict Allegedly Stole
Dying Daughter's Opioids
Sep 14, 2018 9:36 AM CDT
Addict Allegedly Stole Dying Daughter's Opioids
Carol Ballweg confessed after tip from hospice staff: cops
- Police in Missouri say a dying woman didn't get the oxycodone and fentanyl she was prescribed because her mother stole the drugs to feed her opioid addiction. Carol Ballweg—charged with abusing a vulnerable person and stealing a controlled substance—allegedly admitted to stealing painkillers from her 20-year-old daughter,...
After Inmate Likely ODs,
27 Prison Workers Fall Ill
Aug 30, 2018 5:00 AM CDT
After Inmate Likely ODs, 27 Prison Workers Fall Ill
Ohio prison officials believe fentanyl may be to blame
- Four nurses, 23 prison guards, and an inmate were sickened Wednesday at Ross Correctional Institute in Ohio, and officials believe the powerful synthetic opioid fentanyl may be to blame, CNN reports. The incident began around 9am when an inmate showed signs of a possible drug overdose; 29 people ended up...
Nebraska Uses Fentanyl
to Kill Prisoner, a First
Aug 14, 2018 12:44 PM CDT
Nebraska Uses Fentanyl to Kill Prisoner, a First
Carey Dean Moore was put to death Tuesday
- For the first time, fentanyl has been used in the execution of a US prisoner. Carey Dean Moore was put to death via lethal injection at the Nebraska State Penitentiary Tuesday morning using a previously untested combination of four drugs: fentanyl citrate, the powerful synthetic opioid blamed for deadly overdoses...
Cop: Police Chief
Who OD'd Took
Aug 3, 2018 8:53 AM CDT
Cop: Police Chief Who OD'd Took Drugs From Evidence Room
Neighboring police agency says James Hughes Jr. lifted drugs from evidence room
- An Ohio police chief died in May , and an autopsy released last month said he died from "acute intoxication by fentanyl." Now officials say they think they know how James Hughes Jr. got his hands on the deadly drug: They believe he took it from the Kirkersville Police...
Son of Greek
in US. Fentanyl
Jul 17, 2018 10:50 AM CDT
Son of Greek Billionaire Dead in US. Fentanyl Is Blamed
Socrates S. Kokkalis, 34, was found in Cleveland hotel
- The youngest son of a Greek billionaire has died in Ohio of a suspected overdose involving fentanyl. Socrates S. Kokkalis, 34, was found in Cleveland's downtown Marriott Hotel around 2:45pm Saturday, about 12 hours after he's believed to have died. Though an official cause of death is...
Critics Blast Nevada's Plan to
Execute Inmate With Fentanyl
Jul 10, 2018 2:33 PM CDT
Critics Blast Nevada's Plan to Execute Inmate With Fentanyl
It's a US first
- Critics are warning about the "very real risk of a botched execution" in what is to be the first US case of capital punishment using fentanyl. With manufacturers unwilling to sell any drugs to be used in executions, Nevada's Department of Corrections quietly purchased small doses of fentanyl...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
Wife of Cryptocurrency CEO Maintains She Watched Him Die
Decrepit Zero-Bedroom Home Sells for 'Head-Scratcher' Price
Moon Knight Star Dies 2 Days After Trailer Released
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.