Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Man Who Helped
Ghosn Flee Isn't Doing
Well in Prison: Lawyers
Feb 4, 2022 8:55 AM CST
US Man Who Helped Ghosn Flee Isn't Doing Well in Prison: Lawyers
Michael Taylor, who aided Nissan chair's escape from Japan, reportedly got frostbite in Fuchu jail
The American dad sentenced to two years in a Fuchu prison for helping Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn escape Japan is suffering behind bars, according to his legal team. One of Michael Taylor's US-based attorneys, Paul Kelly, tells the
New York Times
the facility's lack of heating led...
US Turns Over
of Nissan Boss
Mar 1, 2021 4:45 PM CST
US Turns Over 2 Americans in Smuggling of Nissan Boss
Father and son tried to avoid extradition in Carlos Ghosn case
- An American father and son wanted by Japan for helping former Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn escape from the country in a box were handed over to Japanese custody Monday, ending their monthslong battle to stay in the US. Michael Taylor and his son, Peter Taylor, failed to persuade US officials...
Nissan to Ghosn:
Pony Up $91M
Feb 12, 2020 5:01 AM CST
Nissan to Ghosn: Pony Up $91M
Automaker sues, citing 'years of misconduct and fraudulent activity' by Carlos Ghosn
- Nissan filed a civil suit Wednesday seeking $91 million in damages from the Japanese automaker's former Chairman Carlos Ghosn, reports the AP . Nissan Motor Co. filed the case in Yokohama District Court to recoup some of the monetary damages suffered, it said, “as a result of years of...
Why Did Ghosn Flee Japan?
He Cites a Figure: 99.4%
Jan 8, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Why Did Ghosn Flee Japan? He Cites a Figure: 99.4%
Ex-Nissan boss gives his first press conference since escaping the country
- In his first press conference given since his clandestine exit from Japan, Carlos Ghosn cleared one thing up on Wednesday: No, there's no Netflix show in the works about his dramatic exit. But Ghosn certainly brought the drama in the lengthy press conference given in Beirut, likening his November...
Ghosn, Hidden in Box,
Exploited Airport Security Flaw
Jan 6, 2020 9:40 AM CST
Ghosn, Hidden in Box, Exploited Airport Security Flaw
There was no mandatory check on luggage for private planes
- Reports that Carlos Ghosn escaped Japan in a musical instrument box were pretty close to the truth. The former Nissan executive facing charges of financial wrongdoing hid in a large black box designed for concert equipment, with breathing holes poked in the bottom, reports the
Wall Street Journal
, citing sources...
Fugitive CEO's Wife:
'Best Gift of My Life'
Jan 1, 2020 10:10 AM CST
Fugitive CEO's Wife: 'Best Gift of My Life'
Carole Ghosn happy her husband escaped, is believed to have played a role
- It will take a while to figure out exactly how former Nissan exec Carlos Ghosn managed to jump bail in Japan and flee to Lebanon , but the
Wall Street Journal
reports that his wife played a big role in the escape. "Best gift of my life," she texted...
Ex-Nissan Boss Jumps Bail,
Somehow Flees Japan
Dec 31, 2019 3:34 AM CST
Ex-Nissan Boss Jumps Bail, Somehow Flees Japan
'I have escaped injustice,' Ghosn says
- Authorities in Japan might be regretting their decision to grant bail to former Nissan and Renault chief Carlos Ghosn earlier this year. He has fled the country and is now in Lebanon, which does not extradite its citizens, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. It's not clear how Ghosn managed...
At 'Extraordinary' Meeting,
More Bad News for Ghosn
Apr 8, 2019 12:00 AM CDT
At 'Extraordinary' Meeting, More Bad News for Ghosn
Nissan's fallen chairman is officially ousted from board by shareholders
- Nissan shareholders approved on Monday the ouster from the Japanese automaker's board of former chairman Carlos Ghosn, who faces allegations of financial misconduct. The approval was shown by applause from the more than 4,000 people gathered at a Tokyo hotel for a three-hour extraordinary shareholders' meeting, the AP...
Ghosn Calls His Unusual
Apr 4, 2019 1:21 AM CDT
Ghosn Calls His Unusual Re-Arrest 'Outrageous'
Ex-Nissan boss is back behind bars
- Former Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn is back in the Tokyo Detention Center after what legal experts say was a highly unusual re-arrest of somebody out on bail. Ghosn—who was released on $8.9 million bail almost a month ago after 108 days in custody—was detained Thursday on suspicion...
Ex-Nissan Boss Released
on Breathtaking Bail Sum
Mar 5, 2019 12:24 AM CST
Ex-Nissan Boss Released on Breathtaking Bail Sum
Lawyer questions grounds for Ghosn arrest
- The Tokyo District Court approved the release of former Nissan Chairman Carlos Ghosn on 1 billion yen—$8.9 million—bail on Tuesday, ending nearly four months of detention. The acceptance of Ghosn's request for bail, his third, came a day after one of his lawyers said he was...
Jailed Auto Boss Says
Execs Plotted Against Him
Jan 31, 2019 12:03 AM CST
Jailed Auto Boss Says Execs Plotted Against Him
Ghosn says he's a victim of 'treason'
- Jailed former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn says he's the innocent victim of treacherous rivals at the company. In an interview with Nikkei Asian Review —his first since his Nov. 19 arrest—Ghosn said he is certain the financial misconduct charges against him are the result of "plot...
Jailed Nissan Exec
Makes Unusual Bail Plea
Jan 21, 2019 6:17 AM CST
Jailed Nissan Exec Makes Unusual Bail Plea
Carlos Ghosn promises to pay for own ankle bracelet and related security
- Former auto exec Carlos Ghosn made another long-shot appeal for bail on Monday, one that came with an unusual twist: He offered to pay for his own ankle bracelet as well as security guards to keep an eye on him, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Ghosn, the former chairman of...
Wife: Ex-Nissan Boss
Treated Harshly in Jail
Jan 15, 2019 7:23 AM CST
Wife: Ex-Nissan Boss Treated Harshly in Jail
She says he lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks
- Former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn may be spending another six months in a jail cell in Japan, despite his wife's claim that he is being subjected to "cruel and inhumane" treatment. In a letter to Human Rights Watch, Carole Ghosn said her 64-year-old husband lost 15 pounds in...
Defiant Auto Exec
Makes His Case in Court
Jan 8, 2019 6:28 AM CST
Defiant Auto Exec Makes His Case in Court
Carlos Ghosn: 'I have been wrongly accused'
- Just a few months ago, Carlos Ghosn was one of the most powerful executives in the auto industry. On Tuesday, however, he appeared in a Tokyo courtroom wearing plastic prison slippers and a rope around his waist instead of a belt, reports the BBC . Ghosn, the 64-year-old former Nissan chairman,...
Here Are 14 Cars
That Are Getting the Ax
Dec 28, 2018 10:05 AM CST
Here Are 14 Cars That Are Getting the Ax
Say goodbye to the Volkswagen Beetle, the Ford Focus, and a dozen others
- If you think you're seeing more SUVs and crossovers on the road, you're not imagining things. That's because automakers are making what
calls a "sweeping shift" into those types of vehicles—which also means they're dumping more-traditional passenger cars from their lineups. The...
Saga Has a New Twist
Dec 25, 2018 12:19 PM CST
Automaker 'Corruption' Saga Has a New Twist
Greg Kelly is given his walking papers
- Nissan Motor Co. executive Greg Kelly was released from detention in Japan on Tuesday after being granted bail over the alleged underreporting of his boss Carlos Ghosn's pay, the AP reports. The late-night release of Kelly, who is American, followed the Tokyo District Court's approval earlier in the...
More Bad News
Dec 21, 2018 8:32 AM CST
More Bad News for Nissan's Already Jailed Ex-Chief
Carlos Ghosn hit with fresh allegations of 'breach of trust' regarding financial investment that tanked
- Things just went from bad to worse for the ex-head of Nissan. Already facing charges that he'd underreported his income while heading up the car company, Carlos Ghosn was arrested again Friday, while in jail in Tokyo, amid fresh allegations of a possible "breach of trust" regarding a...
Regret' as It's
Dec 10, 2018 8:03 AM CST
Nissan: 'Deepest Regret' as It's Charged in Ex-CEO's Scam
Carlos Ghosn, the former chair, and exec Greg Kelly have been charged, as has company itself
- Tokyo prosecutors have charged Nissan's former chairman Carlos Ghosn, another executive, and the automaker itself for allegedly underreporting income. The charges imposed Monday involve allegations Ghosn's pay was underreported by about $44 million between 2011 and 2015, per the AP . The prosecutors said earlier that the allegations were...
Chairman Gets the Boot
Nov 22, 2018 8:00 AM CST
Nissan's Arrested Chairman Gets the Boot
Full shareholder vote needed to make ouster of Carlos Ghosn official
- Nissan has followed up on its promise to remove Chairman Carlos Ghosn. The auto company's board voted Thursday to oust its arrested leader, accused of underreporting his income by more than $44 million , and senior executive Greg Kelly, who was allegedly involved in the scheme, per the BBC . The...
More Bad News for
Arrested Auto Boss
Nov 20, 2018 1:22 PM CST
More Bad News for Arrested Auto Boss
Mitsubishi to ask board to remove disgraced Nissan exec Carlos Ghosn
- About to be ejected as chairman of Nissan Motors, Carlos Ghosn's future at Mitsubishi and Renault is now very much in doubt. A day after Ghosn was arrested on suspicion of understating his Nissan income by more than $44 million , Mitsubishi said it would ask its board to "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
'Unapproved' Schools Illustrate an Education Trend
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.