Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cute Voice on Emergency Call:
'I've Got Some Toys for You'
Oct 19, 2021 8:53 AM CDT
Cute Voice on Emergency Call: 'I've Got Some Toys for You'
4-year-old New Zealand boy invites police over to play
- "Police lady … I've got some toys for you." So begins an endearing 111 call placed to emergency services in New Zealand this week by a 4-year-old boy. With his mother under the weather and his caretaker distracted by another child, the apparently bored boy picked up...
Cops Getting Irked at Bogus
911 Calls for J-Lo's Home
Jun 11, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
Cops Getting Irked at Bogus 911 Calls for J-Lo's Home
The 'swatting' has been going on for months
- Back in March, reports emerged that Jennifer Lopez had become a "swatting" victim of sorts, with more than a dozen 911 calls made since mid-January that brought police to her Los Angeles-area home—only for cops to find no one was home and that the complaints, which ranged from...
Migrants' 911 Calls Spur Search
for Truck: 'We Are Dying'
Feb 11, 2021 9:06 AM CST
Migrants' 911 Calls Spur Search for Truck: 'We Are Dying'
Local authorities in San Antonio, DHS desperately seeking white tanker that may have 80 trapped
- Authorities from the San Antonio Police Department, Bexar County Sheriff's Office, Texas Department of Public Safety, and even the Department of Homeland Security have embarked on a desperate search for a tanker truck that may be crammed with dozens of trapped migrants in a human smuggling operation. Sheriff Javier...
Woman Made 2nd Hoax Call
About Black Birdwatcher
Oct 14, 2020 12:17 PM CDT
Woman Made 2nd Hoax Call About Black Birdwatcher
Amy Cooper claimed he had 'tried to assault her'
- Amy Cooper, the white New York City woman who falsely claimed a Black birdwatcher had threatened her after a disagreement over her unleashed dog in Central Park, made a second 911 call even more likely to provoke a strong response from police, prosecutors revealed Wednesday. In the second call, Cooper...
A Library Voiced
Its Support for BLM.
A Sheriff Pounced
Jul 29, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
A Library Voiced Its Support for BLM. A Sheriff Pounced
Dan Coverley has backtracked since telling Nevada library not to call 911
- A Nevada library recently posted a proposed statement on diversity and inclusion, and it didn't sit well with the county sheriff. The Douglas County Public Library "denounces all acts of violence, racism, and disregard for human rights. We support #Black Lives Matter," the library wrote in the...
SF Lawmaker: CAREN Act
'Is the CAREN We Need'
Jul 8, 2020 1:38 PM CDT
SF Lawmaker: CAREN Act 'Is the CAREN We Need'
The legislation would ban racially biased 911 calls
- A San Francisco lawmaker wants to deploy "CAREN" against people making racially motivated calls to 911. Supervisor Shamann Walton introduced the ordinance Wednesday, calling it the "CAREN Act," for Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies. The
San Francisco Chronicle
describes the name as an "apparent nod to...
Woman Arrested in Odd
Kerfuffle Over Cell Service
Feb 22, 2020 12:30 PM CST
Woman Arrested in Odd Kerfuffle Over Cell Service
Seloni Khetarpal complained after her parents cut off her cellphone service
- An Ohio woman was arrested for calling 911 when her parents cut off her cellphone service, authorities said. Seloni Khetarpal was arrested Feb. 13 by Massillon police and charged with disrupting police services, a fourth-degree felony, the AP reports. Jail records show that Khetarpal, 36, repeatedly called emergency dispatchers because...
Mother's 911 Call: 'I Was Fine
and Then I Ate a Cupcake'
Feb 20, 2020 6:32 AM CST
Mother's 911 Call: 'I Was Fine and Then I Ate a Cupcake'
Elysia Miller described feeling numb after encounter with Juliette Parker
- "I was fine and then I ate a cupcake," a mother in Tacoma, Wash., told a 911 dispatcher after an encounter with a woman who told her she was a newborn photographer . Elysia Miller began to slur her words in the call placed Feb. 5 after she had...
Woman Calls 911 With
Toes After Hands Crushed
Feb 4, 2020 6:57 AM CST
Woman Calls 911 With Toes After Hands Crushed
The jack slipped while she was changing a tire
- A woman trapped in "excruciating pain" next to a highway in South Carolina had to use her toes to summon help, authorities say. Trouble began for the 54-year-old resident of Charlotte, NC, when she got a flat tire on I-95 Sunday night, CNN reports. She was in the breakdown...
Makes Fake Pizza Call to 911
Nov 21, 2019 6:08 AM CST
Quick-Thinking Daughter Makes Fake Pizza Call to 911
That allows officers to arrive and stop an alleged domestic abuse incident
- A quick-thinking daughter in Oregon, Ohio, teamed up with a quick-thinking 911 dispatcher to stop an alleged domestic abuse incident. The woman called police and pretended to order a pizza, reports ABC 12 . The real reason for the call: A man was beating her mother, and the caller didn't...
Man Complains About
Amber Alert, Gets Arrested
Oct 4, 2019 1:36 AM CDT
Man Complains About Amber Alert, Gets Arrested
Canadian man complained he had been trying to rest
- When police in Ontario, Canada, put out an Amber Alert for five missing children, a man called 911 within minutes—to complain about the alert. Police say 70-year-old Hamilton resident Doug Bagshaw was arrested and charged with mischief because he called 911 when there was no emergency, trying to "...
5th-Grader Called 911 on Her.
This Video Offers a Hint Why
Sep 30, 2019 7:34 AM CDT
5th-Grader Called 911 on Her. This Video Offers a Hint Why
Catherine Maccarone has resigned, is charged with driving under the influence, endangerment
- A school bus driver in Washington state has left her job after an alleged DUI incident earlier this month, and now video has also been released. NBC News reports that 48-year-old Catherine Maccarone resigned last week after a fifth grader who'd ridden on her bus called 911 on Sept....
Woman Who Drowned Called
911 for Help, Got Scolded
Aug 30, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Woman Who Drowned Called 911 for Help, Got Scolded
Dispatcher was working her last shift
- An Arkansas woman was delivering newspapers early Saturday when water pushed her SUV off the road, into a grove of trees. Unable to get out of the vehicle, Debra Stevens called 911 for help. What she got was a lecture. "This will teach you next time, don’t drive...
Man Calls 911 Over
Comic's Middle East Joke
May 16, 2019 2:41 AM CDT
Man Calls 911 Over Comic's Middle East Joke
It 'really bothered me,' man told dispatcher
- "I don’t think anyone has ever called 911 because they were offended by a joke," says Florida comedy club owner Brien Spina. Well, apart from on Sunday, when an audience member called 911 over remarks comedian Ahmed Ahmed made at Spina's Off The Hook club in...
Crooks Ruin Their Robbery
in Most Ridiculous Way
Apr 28, 2019 12:25 PM CDT
Crooks Ruin Their Robbery in Most Ridiculous Way
Seems one of three Houston robbers made an unexpected call
- Note to burglars: Try to avoid butt-dialing 911 during your getaway. But that's apparently what three crooks did Sunday after hitting a Best Buy near Houston, ABC News reports. Officers were en route to the Sugar Land store when dispatch received a 911 call that transmitted only background noise....
Jan 12, 2019 3:34 PM CST
Cops Release Care Facility's Frantic Call to 911
Workers at Hacienda HealthCare were shocked by pregnancy
- The nation was shocked by news of a woman in a vegetative state giving birth last month at a Phoenix care facility. Now, audio of a panic-stricken 911 call reveals workers who seem not only shocked, but frantic: "We need help, please," a nurse at Hacienda HealthCare tells...
'Why Don't You Die!'
Jan 2, 2019 9:35 AM CST
He Screamed 'Why Don't You Die!' Then, Embarrassment
Australian man trying to kill spider got a little fired up
- Two legs good, eight legs bad—not one of the commandments from
, but rather the deep-seated feelings of an Australian man whose reaction to a spider ended up drawing law enforcement to his home. Per the
, a report came in to police that a passer-by strolling past...
Girl Told to Clean Room
Calls 911 on Parents
Dec 11, 2018 4:38 AM CST
Girl Told to Clean Room Calls 911 on Parents
Police say 9-year-old got a 'talking to'
- Police in Ontario have told parents to make sure their children know that 911 is a number to be called in emergencies only—and it is not an emergency when your parents ask you to clean your room. The Ontario Provincial Police say they rushed to a residence in Simcoe...
After 911 Call
Oct 19, 2018 2:25 PM CDT
Star Hospitalized After 911 Call
TMZ says it has the tape, in which Jenelle Evans accuses her husband of assault
- A star from the
franchise was hospitalized over the weekend, and TMZ says it now has the 911 call she made from her North Carolina home. In the call, a sobbing woman said to be 26-year-old Jenelle Evans tells the dispatcher that her husband, David Eason, attacked her...
Woman in Golf Cart Calls
Cops on Black Dad at Game
Oct 18, 2018 7:57 AM CDT
Woman in Golf Cart Calls Cops on Black Dad at Game
Gerald Jones says he was instructing his son
- We've had "Cornerstone Caroline," "Pool Patrol Paula," and "BBQ Becky." Now: "Golfcart Gail." That's the nickname given by Ginger Williams to a woman she says was at her son's soccer game in Ponte Vedra, Fla., this weekend, harassing a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Cops: Woman Tries to Buy Baby at Walmart
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Man Fired, Charged After Rant in Smoothie Store
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.