Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man With Esteemed
Was 'Blinded by Greed'
Nov 3, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
Man With Esteemed Classic-Car Collection Was 'Blinded by Greed'
Businessman Najeeb Khan, who orchestrated $180M check-kiting scheme, gets 8 years in prison
- A businessman who orchestrated a $180 million check-kiting scheme and used the proceeds to live a lavish lifestyle and amass one of the world's most revered classic-car collections has been sentenced to more than eight years in prison, per the AP . Najeeb Khan, 70, of Edwardsburg, Michigan, told a...
Gets Him 27
Oct 23, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Inmate's 'Relentless' Meth Operation Gets Him 27 More Years
Mexican gang member David 'Toro' Zavala is busted for running drug distribution from prison
- A Mexican gang member already serving time in Georgia just got hit with a lot more time for distributing methamphetamine from behind bars. The
reports that 30-year-old David "Toro" Zavala, who federal agents say is a known member of the Surenos 13 gang, received his additional prison...
Ex-Cop Who Sexually Assaulted
Dozens Hears His Fate
Oct 21, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Ex-Cop Who Sexually Assaulted Dozens Hears His Fate
Former Philly police officer Patrick Heron, 54, is sentenced to 15 to 40 years in state prison
- A former Philadelphia police officer has been sentenced to 15 to 40 years in state prison after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting women and girls—often while in uniform and in the back of his police vehicle, per the AP . Patrick Heron, 54, entered his pleas Friday after reaching an...
Family of 'Con Men'
Hear Their Fate
for Fake COVID Cure
Oct 9, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Family of 'Con Men' Hear Their Fate for Fake COVID Cure
Mark Grenon, 3 adult sons get jail time for hawking toxic bleach through their online church
- A Florida man and his three adult sons were sentenced Friday for selling a toxic industrial bleach as a fake COVID-19 cure through their online church. A federal judge in Miami sentenced Jonathan Grenon, 37, and Jordan Grenon, 29, to 12 years and seven months in prison, while Mark Grenon,...
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate
Price' for Mom's Addiction
Sep 26, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Leticia Gonzales of Michigan to serve up to 5 years for DUI crash that killed her young sons
- A western Michigan woman was sentenced to up to five years in prison Monday for a crash in which her three young sons drowned after her SUV plunged into an ice-covered pond, per the AP . Leticia Gonzales, 31, had pleaded no contest in August to operating while intoxicated causing serious...
Her Way Up the
Ladder. Now, Jail
Sep 21, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Gina Lonestar created phony invoices from a fake vendor to the tune of $1.7M, prosecutors say
- A former Men's Wearhouse executive is going to prison for nearly two years after pleading guilty to embezzling $1.7 million from the clothing giant and its parent, Tailored Brands. CBS News reports that 52-year-old Gina Suzanne Lonestar was sentenced to 22 months behind bars on a wire fraud...
Proud Boys' 'Leader on
the Ground' Sentenced
Sep 1, 2023 5:16 PM CDT
Proud Boys' 'Leader on the Ground' Sentenced
Ethan Nordean's prison term equals longest given so far in Jan. 6 attack
- A onetime leader in the Proud Boys far-right extremist group has been sentenced to 18 years in prison for his role in the Jan. 6 riot at the US Capitol, tying the longest sentence imposed so far in the attack. Ethan Nordean was one of several members convicted of spearheading...
Proud Boy Who Broke Window
of Capitol on Jan. 6 Gets Prison
Sep 1, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
Proud Boy Who Broke Window of Capitol on Jan. 6 Gets Prison
Dominic Pezzola apologized, later shouted, 'Trump won!' leaving the courtroom
- "You were the one who smashed that window and let people begin to stream into that Capitol building and threaten the lives of our lawmakers," a federal judge told Dominic Pezzola on Friday as he sentenced the Proud Boy to 10 years in prison. "It's not...
DOJ Seeks Longest
Sentence Yet for Capitol Riot
Aug 18, 2023 10:34 AM CDT
DOJ Seeks Longest Sentence Yet for Capitol Riot
Enrique Tarrio faces 33 years in longest sentence sought yet by Justice Department for Capitol riot
- The Justice Department is seeking 33 years in prison for Enrique Tarrio, the former Proud Boys leader convicted of seditious conspiracy in one of the most serious cases to emerge from the attack on the US Capitol, according to court documents. The sentence, if imposed, would be by far the...
Man Who Mocked Marriage on
Gets Life in Prison
Aug 15, 2023 11:23 AM CDT
Man Who Mocked Marriage on
Gets Life in Prison
Illinois' Timothy Bliefnick was found guilty in May of murdering his wife early this year
- A judge sentenced a former contestant on the television game show
to life in prison after he was convicted of first-degree murder and other charges in the slaying of his estranged wife in western Illinois. Timothy Bliefnick, 40, showed no reaction as Adams County Circuit Judge Robert Adrian...
Former Police Union Chief Gets
Prison Time for $600K Fraud
Aug 4, 2023 12:33 PM CDT
Former Police Union Chief Gets Prison Time for $600K Fraud
Ed Mullins, ex-head of NYPD's Sergeants Benevolent Association, sentenced to 2 years behind bars
- For almost 20 years, Ed Mullins served as the head of one of the largest police unions in America. Now, the former president will spend two years behind bars for perpetrating fraud against the Sergeants Benevolent Association, which represents the 13,000 active and retired sergeants of the New York...
Jul 11, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes' Sentence Shortened
Her release date has been changed to 2032
- Elizabeth Holmes' prison sentence is now two years shorter than it originally was . Her release date on the Bureau of Prisons website is now projected to be Dec. 12, 2032, about two years earlier than the original projection, the
reports. While no reason was given, the newspaper notes the...
Woman Who Stabbed
Lover's Wife Hears Her Fate
Jun 14, 2023 2:06 PM CDT
Woman Who Stabbed Lover's Wife Hears Her Fate
Clare Bailey of UK, who hid knife in flower bouquet, sentenced to more than 22 years in prison
- A woman who failed to accept that her affair with a married man was over showed up in disguise at the home of his wife, then proceeded to stab her with a carving knife she'd hidden in a bouquet of flowers. Clare Bailey of the UK, who pleaded guilty...
Man Who Set Fire to Own
Property Hears His Fate
Jun 9, 2023 7:07 AM CDT
Man Who Set Fire to Own Property Hears His Fate
Denis Molla, who initially blamed antifa for arson, gets 30 months in prison after Minnesota blaze
- A Minnesota man was sentenced Thursday to 30 months behind bars after setting fire to his own property to claim insurance money, and initially blaming the September 2020 arson on antifa. Per court documents cited by CBS News , Denis Vladmirovich Molla, 29, who'd first claimed that someone had torched...
It's Prison for
Dad, Son Whose
Was a Scam
May 24, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
It's Prison for Dad, Son Whose Lottery 'Luck' Was a Scam
Ali and Yousef Jaafar illegally cashed 14K tickets over 9 years
- A father and son in Massachusetts will spend years in prison for a decade-long lottery scam that saw them claim $20 million in winnings from 14,000 tickets, illegally obtained from the true winners. Authorities are calling it "an elaborate tax fraud" that ensnared not only the father and...
Jan. 6 Rioter
May 5, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Jan. 6 Rioter Receives Longest Term Yet
Judge tells Peter Schwartz he's no political prisoner
- A Kentucky man with a long criminal record was sentenced Friday to 14 years in prison for attacking police officers with pepper spray and a chair as he stormed the US Capitol with his wife. Peter Schwartz's prison sentence is the longest so far among hundreds of Jan. 6...
Former 1-800-GET-THIN Doc:
'I Live in Constant Remorse'
Apr 19, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Former 1-800-GET-THIN Doc: 'I Live in Constant Remorse'
Julian Omidi gets 7 years behind bars for hawking unnecessary surgeries, defrauding insurance firms
- The man behind 1-800-GET-THIN has been sentenced to seven years in prison for a fraud scheme that saw insurance companies billed nearly $120 million for forged sleep studies and unnecessary surgeries. Charged in 2018, Julian Omidi, 54, of West Hollywood, California, was convicted in December 2021 of 28 counts of...
Elizabeth Holmes Gets
One Step Closer to Prison
Apr 11, 2023 7:47 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Gets One Step Closer to Prison
Judge denies request to remain free during appeal; ruling from appeals court is still to come
- A US judge has denied Elizabeth Holmes' request to remain free while she appeals her wire fraud conviction. The Theranos founder, who recently gave birth , is to begin serving an 11-year sentence in roughly two weeks. Convicted in January 2022, she argued she should remain out of prison while her...
Jan. 6 Rioter Gets Prison
for Attacking Brian Sicknick
Jan 27, 2023 5:10 PM CST
Jan. 6 Rioter Gets Prison for Attacking Brian Sicknick
Judge imposes 80-month sentence for using chemical spray on officer
- A Jan. 6 rioter who attacked Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick, who died the next day, with chemical spray to his face was sentenced to prison on Friday. Federal Judge Thomas Hogan gave Julian Khater an 80-month term and imposed a $10,000 fine, the
reports. The judge...
'Evil Genius' Dad Who Lived in
Daughter's Dorm Gets 60 Years
Jan 20, 2023 1:29 PM CST
'Evil Genius' Dad Who Lived in Daughter's Dorm Gets 60 Years
Larry Ray sentenced after conviction in abuse case involving Sarah Lawrence students
- Larry Ray, the dad convicted in April of sex trafficking and racketeering after moving into his daughter's Sarah Lawrence dorm and sexually, emotionally, and physically abusing her classmates, was sentenced to 60 years behind bars on Friday. Calling Ray an "evil genius," Judge Lewis Liman handed the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.