Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Zion National Park
16-Mile Utah Hike Goes
Horribly Wrong for Couple
Nov 25, 2022 9:48 AM CST
16-Mile Utah Hike Goes Horribly Wrong for Couple
Woman died, man was rescued in Zion National Park
- A 16-mile overnight hike in Utah's Zion National Park went horribly wrong for a woman and her husband, authorities say. The National Park Service says the couple began the permitted hike through an area of the park known as the Narrows Tuesday and faced cold weather overnight, when the...
Body of Hiker Who Went
Missing on Iconic Trail Is Found
Aug 24, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
Body of Hiker Who Went Missing on Iconic Trail Is Found
Jetal Agnihotri was hiking the famous 'Narrows' in Utah's Zion National Park
The body of a 29-year-old woman who didn't return from a hike in Utah's Zion National Park has been found. Jetal Agnihotri of Tucson, Arizona, was hiking in the Narrows on Friday when flash floods swept through the area. CNN reports her body was recovered Monday in...
Woman Falls to Her Death
in Zion National Park
Jun 7, 2021 12:44 PM CDT
Woman Falls to Her Death in Zion National Park
NPS says woman was canyoneering alone
- A 26-year-old woman has died after falling in a canyon at a US national park in Utah, officials said. The woman's body was recovered Sunday evening from Mystery Canyon at Zion National Park, the National Park Service said in a news release . According to visitors, the woman was canyoneering...
Rescuer Thinks Missing
Hiker's Story Is Fishy
Oct 22, 2020 3:05 PM CDT
Rescuer Thinks Missing Hiker's Story Is Fishy
Sheriff's sergeant says there are red flags in Holly Courtier's account
- A crew member involved in the search for Holly Courtier, the hiker who was missing in Utah's Zion National Park for 12 days, doesn't buy her family's account of what happened . Sgt. Darrell Cashin of the Washington County Sheriff's Search and Rescue says the 38-year-old left...
Left Lost Hiker
Unable to Walk
Oct 20, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
Head Injury Left Lost Hiker Unable to Walk
Holly Courtier, since found safe in Zion National Park, hit her head on a tree, daughter tells CNN
- The hiker found 12 days after disappearing in Zion National Park became disoriented after a head injury, according to her daughter, who never gave up hope of finding her mother. Holly Courtier, 38, was last seen getting off a shuttle at the Utah park on Oct. 6. She was to...
Oct 18, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Missing Hiker Found After Nearly 2 Weeks
Holly Courtier's family says they're 'overwhelmed and grateful'
- A mother who went missing in a Utah park nearly two weeks ago has turned up alive—and her family is overjoyed. Holly Courtier, 38, an experienced hiker, made headlines after vanishing in Zion National Park on Oct. 6. Details are scant, but the
Salt Lake Tribune
reports that search...
Mom Missing Nearly a Week
After Hike in National Park
Oct 13, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Mom Missing Nearly a Week After Hike in National Park
Holly Suzanne Courtier hasn't been heard from since entering Utah's Zion National Park
- Authorities in Utah are searching for a missing mother and avid hiker, who hasn't been heard from since she was dropped off at Zion National Park a week ago. Holly Suzanne Courtier, 38, from Woodland Hills, Calif., was last seen around 1:30pm on Oct. 6, when she's...
Man Gets Stuck in Quicksand at
Zion. Then Real Ordeal Begins
Feb 19, 2019 9:35 AM CST
Man Gets Stuck in Quicksand at Zion. Then Real Ordeal Begins
Arizona's Ryan Osmun is 'very lucky to be alive'
- Spending 10 hours stuck in quicksand sounds like a rough weekend for anybody. For Arizona's Ryan Osmun, it was just the start. The 34-year-old was hiking with his girlfriend in Utah's Zion National Park on Saturday when the woman's leg got stuck in a creek 4.5...
13-Year-Old Girl Dies
on Popular Hiking Trail
Feb 7, 2018 2:00 AM CST
13-Year-Old Girl Dies on Popular Hiking Trail
The teen fell at Utah's Zion National Park
- A 13-year-old girl fell to her death from a popular narrow trail bordered by steep drops at Utah's Zion National Park, officials said Tuesday. The Utah girl was hiking with family when she tumbled from the Angel's Landing Trail on Monday evening, park ranger John Marciano said. She...
Zion National Park May Need
to Require Reservations
Jul 21, 2017 9:09 AM CDT
Zion National Park May Need to Require Reservations
'We have to do something,' says rep for crowded Utah park
- It would be a first for a US national park: requiring reservations to explore it. But it's an option that Utah's Zion National Park is considering to manage an overwhelming surge of visitors, the AP reports. Zion, which welcomed 4.3 million people last year, is weighing online...
Video Shows Hikers' Escape From Flash Flooding
Sep 19, 2015 1:03 PM CDT
Video Shows Hikers' Escape From Flash Flooding
Deadly floods at Zion National Park killed seven others
- A GoPro video documents a couple's harrowing seven-minute escape from the deadly flash flood that hit Zion National Park on Monday. KTLA reports Jordan Birnbaum and his girlfriend were halfway up the 1,500-foot climb to Angels Landing lookout when the rain started to fall. “Oh my God....
Base Jump Kills
Extreme Sports Legend
Mar 31, 2014 8:50 AM CDT
Base Jump Kills Extreme Sports Legend
Climbing world mourns Sean 'Stanley' Leary
- One of the more celebrated careers in extreme sports has come to a tragic end in Utah's Zion National Park. Sean "Stanley" Leary of California, a base jumper, climber, and stuntman, has been confirmed as one of two jumpers who died in the park earlier this month , reports...
3 Base Jumpers Have
Now Died in Utah
Mar 25, 2014 6:34 AM CDT
3 Base Jumpers Have Now Died in Utah
2 last weekend along
- This weekend saw two separate base jumping deaths in Utah, one in the state's Mineral Canyon and the other in Zion National Park. The latter comes weeks after the park, where the practice is illegal, saw its first-ever base jumping death, the
reports. Yesterday, authorities announced they'...
to Her Death in Utah
Feb 10, 2014 11:00 AM CST
Newlywed Base-Jumps to Her Death in Utah
As her husband of 2 weeks looked on
- A Utah woman attempting a parachute jump near Zion National Park died when her parachute failed to open, say park officials. Amber Bellows fell about 2,000 feet to the ground Saturday afternoon. The 28-year-old had been attempting the jump from Mount Kinesava, in the southern part of the park...
America's Best National Parks
Jul 29, 2009 6:20 PM CDT
America's Best National Parks
- In the recession, international air travel is down and national park attendance is way up.
runs down the crème de la crème of America’s national treasures, but be warned: “It's been incredibly hard to get camping space at most national parks,” one travel agent...
Popular on Newser
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Riots Follow World Cup Upset
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.