Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Batali's Sex Misconduct Trial
Starts, With One Decision Made
May 9, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Batali's Sex Misconduct Trial Starts, With One Decision Made
Celebrity chef opts for judge to decide his fate, not a jury
- Celebrity chef Mario Batali has waived his right to a jury trial and is opting to have a judge decide his fate in his sexual misconduct trial in Boston. Batali confirmed the decision to Boston Municipal Court Justice James Stanton as the trial opened Monday morning, per the AP . In...
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months
for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
in case you missed it
Dec 5, 2021 3:20 PM CST
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
John Croucher's 2018 meal served to church congregation sickened dozens, killed one
- John Croucher served up a shepherd's pie in 2018 that ended up giving 32 people food poisoning, including one woman who died. Now, the former head chef at a UK country pub has been sentenced to four months in prison, with a year's suspension, after conceding that he'...
3-Star Restaurant Known
for Meat Ditching the Meat
May 4, 2021 6:27 AM CDT
3-Star Restaurant Known for Meat Ditching the Meat
Eleven Madison Park will be almost entirely vegan upon reopening
- A Manhattan restaurant once considered the best in the world will no longer serve meat. David Humm's Eleven Madison Park, which topped the World's 50 Best Restaurants list in 2017 but failed to land a place in 2019 , plans to serve "an eight to ten course menu...
Burger King Apologizes Over
Tweet About Women's Place
Mar 8, 2021 6:00 PM CST
Burger King Apologizes Over Tweet About Women's Place
Similar message appears in the US on International Women's Day
- Burger King UK says its tweet on International Women's Day was misunderstood. "Women belong in the kitchen," said the Monday tweet, which has since been taken down. A followup tweet added context: "If they want to, of course. Yet only 20% of chefs are women. We'...
Mar 25, 2020 12:52 PM CDT
Coronavirus Takes Another Big Name
Floyd Cardoz, 59, was a Top Chef Masters winner and a legend in New York City
- The coronavirus has claimed another prominent name. Renowned chef Floyd Cardoz, 59, has died of complications from the virus in a New Jersey hospital, reports
. Two notable claims to fame: Cardoz won
Top Chef Masters
in 2011, and he opened what Eater NY calls "one of New York’...
Dec 31, 2019 1:21 PM CST
Chef Loses Unusual Court Fight Over Critique
Marc Veyrat sued the Michelin Guide when it demoted his restaurant
- Some chefs don't care about getting three stars in the Michelin Guide. French chef Marc Veyrat cares very much. So much, in fact, that he took Michelin to court to force a full explanation of why his restaurant got demoted from three stars to two. The court, however, has...
Chef Takes Fight Over
Michelin Star to Court
Nov 28, 2019 4:31 AM CST
Chef Takes Fight Over Michelin Star to Court
He says inspectors slandered his soufflé
- A chef in France is suing the Michelin guide for downgrading his rating by a star, complaining that the prestigious guide sent inspectors so incompetent that they thought his "virtual scallops" were "real coquilles Saint-Jacques when they were made from a base of burbot livers from Lake Geneva"...
Paula Deen Jokes
About Deceased Chef
Sep 25, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
Paula Deen Jokes About Deceased Chef
Critics say comment on Carl Ruiz's death was tasteless
- Paula Deen is feeling the heat for a comment she made following the sudden death of celebrity chef Carl Ruiz . Deen, 72, discussed her new cookbook
Paula Deen's Southern Baking
in a Monday interview on
The Big J Show
, aired by Montana's Hot 101.9, before host Jason...
Famous Chef Says This Spice
Cost Him a Michelin Star
Sep 25, 2019 8:27 AM CDT
Famous Chef Says This Spice Cost Him a Michelin Star
France's Marc Veyrat says saffron fooled inspector into thinking pedestrian cheese was used
- Marc Veyrat is world renowned, recognized for both his wild herb-based fare and his trademark look—a "wide-brimmed black Savoyard hat and smoke-tinted glasses," per the
. What the 69-year-old French chef doesn't want to be known for, however, is losing a coveted star in the Michelin...
Celebrity Chef Dies Suddenly
Sep 23, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
Celebrity Chef Dies Suddenly
Food Network star Carl Ruiz was 44
- Guy Fieri is among the many fellow celebrity chefs paying tribute to Food Network star Carl Ruiz, whose sudden death at the age of 44 was announced over the weekend by his La Cubana restaurant. The Cuban-American chef and restaurateur appeared on shows including "Guy's Ranch Kitchen" and...
Found Dead in
Aug 23, 2019 6:53 AM CDT
Missing Chef Found Dead in NYC Hostel
Andrea Zamperoni was Cipriani head chef
- When Andrea Zamperoni unexpectedly missed a day at work for the first time in a decade, his colleagues at New York City's renowned Cipriani Dolci restaurant knew something must be wrong. The head chef at the Grand Central Terminal restaurant was reported missing after he failed to show up...
May 21, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
Jamie Oliver 'Devastated' About Chain's Collapse
Chef's British restaurant chain has filed for bankruptcy protection
- Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver's British restaurant chain filed for bankruptcy protection on Tuesday, partly due to increased competition and escalating rents in local commercial districts. The insolvency put 1,300 jobs at risk and reignited worries about local retail and food outlets in Britain, reports the AP . "I'...
Jan 28, 2019 9:04 AM CST
Chef Unhappy With Michelin Rankings for Surprising Reason
Sebastien Bras doesn't want the honor
- Sebastien Bras is a world-renowned chef who stunned the culinary world when he asked the Michelin Guide to keep him and his Le Suquet restaurant out of its pages. The folks at Michelin granted the first-of-its-kind request, and there was no sign of Le Suquet in the 2018 guide—even...
NYPD Closed Sex Misconduct
Cases Against Batali: Sources
Jan 9, 2019 4:33 AM CST
NYPD Closed Sex Misconduct Cases Against Batali: Sources
But they could be reopened if more evidence pops up against celebrity chef
- New York City cops reportedly have dropped their investigation of Mario Batali, at least for the time being. A law enforcement official told CNN on Tuesday that the NYPD no longer has any open sexual-assault investigations against the 58-year-old celebrity chef, though there are varying reports on how many there...
Chef Charged With
at Women's Event
Nov 1, 2018 8:54 AM CDT
Chef Charged With Indecent Exposure at Women's Event
SC's Mike Ray is seeking counseling after allegedly dropping his pants
- Someone should tell Mike Ray that if he wants to be the "life of the party," he should try wearing a lampshade on his head, not dropping trou. At least not at an event for women-owned businesses, which is where WYFF reports the South Carolina chef allegedly decided...
One of the World's
Top Chefs Is Dead
Aug 6, 2018 8:23 AM CDT
One of the World's Top Chefs Is Dead
Joël Robuchon was 73
- It's tough to know which accolade to list first: that Joël Robuchon was dubbed "chef of the century" in 1989 or that he won a record-setting 32 Michelin stars in 2016. The French chef, regarded as one of the world's best, has died of cancer at...
Loss of Bourdain
Jun 8, 2018 11:44 AM CDT
'Anthony, Why?' Friends Mourn Loss of Bourdain
Chef had legions of admirers, in and out of the culinary world
- "The most interesting man in the world" has departed. That's Drew Magary's take on Anthony Bourdain's Friday death of a suspected suicide . At
, Magary writes that he idolized the celebrity chef, who "lived so much that the idea of him dying seems completely preposterous....
CNN Cites Suicide in Death
of Anthony Bourdain, 61
Jun 8, 2018 6:50 AM CDT
CNN Cites Suicide in Death of Anthony Bourdain, 61
He leaves behind a daughter
- Chef, author, and TV personality Anthony Bourdain is dead at 61, and the cause is suicide, confirms CNN . The network, which is home to his Emmy-award-winning series
released this statement Friday: "It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony...
New Misconduct Allegations:
'It's Batali. And It's Bad'
Dec 11, 2017 8:37 AM CST
New Misconduct Allegations: 'It's Batali. And It's Bad'
Four women come forward to describe groping to Eater
- The latest lengthy dive into allegations of sexual misconduct comes via Eater —and, as the publication suggests, involves a chef. Mario Batali has been named by four unnamed women as having touched them inappropriately "in a pattern of behavior that appears to span at least two decades"; Eater...
Restaurant Sees 'Remarkable'
Change After Diners Disconnect
Oct 3, 2017 8:07 AM CDT
Restaurant Sees 'Remarkable' Change After Diners Disconnect
They're actually talking to each other, says Marco Canora of Hearth
- "We want people to have an experience that is calm," says Chef Marco Canora of his revamped Hearth restaurant in New York City. Apparently that means phones should be out of the picture. After noticing how often diners appeared more engaged in their phones than in their company...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Virginia Republicans Take Barnes & Noble to Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.