Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Holds Bank Hostage,
Demands His Own Money
Aug 12, 2022 9:36 AM CDT
Man Holds Bank Hostage, Demands His Own Money
Bassam al-Sheikh Hussein is now being hailed a hero in Lebanon
- A man with a gun held a Lebanese bank hostage for more than six hours on Thursday—firing warning shots and threatening to set himself on fire—then emerged to be hailed a hero. Banks in Lebanon imposed strict rules on withdrawals in 2019 amid a devastating economic crisis that...
This Ex-Bank CEO's Expense
Report Was Eyebrow-Raising
Apr 13, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
This Ex-Bank CEO's Expense Report Was Eyebrow-Raising
Former Raiffeisen chief Pierin Vincenz gets nearly 4 years in prison after $214K in strip club bills
- A former "banker of the year" in Switzerland used his company credit card to pay for a Tinder date, a trip to Australia, and $214,000 in bills from strip clubs, according to testimony heard in a Zurich court before Pierin Vincenz was sentenced Wednesday to nearly four years...
Exodus From Russia Now
Includes Wall Street Banks
Mar 10, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Exodus From Russia Now Includes Wall Street Banks
Goldman Sachs is first to make the move
- Another financial shot to Russia: Goldman Sachs on Thursday became the first major Wall Street bank to pull out of the nation since the invasion of Ukraine, reports NPR . It's a sign of the increasing economic isolation being imposed on Moscow by the West, though CNBC describes US banking...
Whistleblower Reveals 18K
Secret Swiss Bank Accounts
Feb 21, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Whistleblower Reveals 18K Secret Swiss Bank Accounts
Credit Suisse did business with some nefarious characters
- The idea of not-so-upright characters stashing money in a Swiss bank account is a staple of Hollywood—and a large leak of account holders with the giant Credit Suisse suggests it's right on the money:
A whistleblower gave the German newspaper
data on more than
Scammers Clone Exec's Voice,
Steal $35M From Bank
Oct 15, 2021 8:35 AM CDT
Scammers Clone Exec's Voice, Steal $35M From Bank
Dubai investigators say deepfake technology fooled bank manager
- The crimes of the future are here today, according to a court document connected to a $35 million bank heist in the United Arab Emirates. Per the document, investigators in Dubai say a bank manager "received a phone call that claimed to be from the company headquarters. The caller...
Victim Sues Her Bank
Oct 11, 2021 11:02 AM CDT
'Grandparent Scam' Victim Sues Her Bank
Florida widow lost more than $700K, says bank was negligent
- The "grandparent scam" has been around for a while, but the
Tampa Bay Times
reports on one with a particularly large payday and an unusual legal twist. An attorney for 82-year-old Anna Nunn of Florida says his widowed client was bilked of more than $700,000—and she's...
Jul 3, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
$50B Deposit Baffles Customer
Mistaken deposit lasted until the bank noticed it
- There was a moment when Darren James thought the $50 billion that showed up in his bank account might really be his. "I was excited for sure," James said, "really surprised how it got there and wondered if I had a rich uncle that gave it to...
Bank Error Put $1.2M in Her
Account, Ends in Her Arrest
Apr 13, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
Bank Error Put $1.2M in Her Account, Ends in Her Arrest
Louisiana woman Kelyn Spadoni was fired, too
- A Louisiana woman was fired and arrested after allegedly treating a $1.2 million bank error like it was a lottery win. Police say 33-year-old Kelyn Spadoni refused to return $1,205,619.56 after Charles Schwab bank accidentally transferred it to her brokerage account, the
New Orleans Times-Picayune
ATM Customer Makes
Startling Discovery at Bank
Oct 22, 2020 11:09 AM CDT
ATM Customer Makes Startling Discovery at Bank
Nature's masked 'bandits' had broken in to a California Chase and were wreaking havoc
- Some faces were made for radio; others were made for breaking into banks. CBS San Francisco and KPIX report that a customer was using an ATM outside a Chase bank in Redwood City, Calif., around 7:30am Tuesday morning when he saw what he thought was a stuffed animal on...
Aug 2, 2020 2:40 PM CDT
Someone Tries Laundering Money—Literally
South Korean loses 'considerable' sum after washing-machine debacle
- Money laundering is not a good idea, as a South Korean found out when he or she put banknotes in a washing machine to remove possible traces of the coronavirus, the AP reports. Officials say the loss was considerable. The person living in Ansan city, near Seoul, placed an unspecified...
Trump's Press Secretary
Reveals a Little Too Much
May 23, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Trump's Press Secretary Reveals a Little Too Much
Kayleigh McEnany put some private information on display
- President Trump's press secretary revealed a little more than she bargained for Friday while displaying a check written by her boss, NBC News reports. Kayleigh McEnany was announcing which government agency will be the lucky recipient of Trump's $100,000 quarterly salary: "Here is the check,"...
Jan 20, 2020 1:01 PM CST
Bank Worker's Christmas Eve Kindness Gets Her Canned
Emily James fired from US Bank after giving broke customer $20
- One of US Bank's core tenets is "We put people first," but when one of its own senior bankers tried to do just that, she was fired. Emily James tells the
that on Dec. 23, she was working at the bank's call center in Gresham,...
Bank Customer Walks In
With a Highly Unusual Bill
Oct 30, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
Bank Customer Walks In With a Highly Unusual Bill
But tellers at Pinnacle Bank in Lincoln, Nebraska, weren't fooled
- At least he tried? A guy walked into a Nebraska bank Monday and tried opening a checking account with a fake $1 million bill, the
Lincoln Journal Star
reports. He swore it was real, but tellers at Pinnacle Bank in Lincoln disagreed and he walked out. Now police are trying...
It Was a Sinkhole.
Then They Saw
the Orange Cord
in case you missed it
Feb 3, 2019 12:40 PM CST
They Thought It Was a Sinkhole. Then They Saw the Orange Cord
FBI investigating after public works employees find secret tunnel leading to Florida bank
- It started out as public works employees checking out a potential sinkhole or pothole; it ended up with the FBI trying to solve what the
is now calling a "bank caper." What the workers spotted in the hole in Pembroke Pines, Fla., on Tuesday that raised...
Ex-Girlfriend: Florida Suspect
'Wanted Everyone to Die'
Jan 24, 2019 11:10 AM CST
Ex-Girlfriend: Florida Suspect 'Wanted Everyone to Die'
A neighbor says he'd hear Zephen Xaver screaming at night
- As Florida police attempt to piece together the events that led to a fatal shooting at a SunTrust bank on Wednesday, facts are slowly emerging about the suspected gunman. Per WSBT , Zephen Xaver, 21, who appeared in court Thursday , is accused of opening fire inside the Sebring bank after a...
A Grieving Son Blames
Bank Over $732K Con
Jan 21, 2019 5:20 PM CST
A Grieving Son Blames Bank Over $732K Con
Dayle Hogg says TD Bank shouldn't have let his father wire the money
- Dayle Hogg is hopping mad over the $732,000 his dad sent a romance scammer, but doesn't seem to blame him. "There should have been red flags going up all over the place at the bank," Hogg tells the CBC . "He had no history of sending...
Bank Is Sorry After Calling
Cops on Black Customer
Dec 20, 2018 12:48 PM CST
Bank Is Sorry After Calling Cops on Black Customer
Paul McCowns was just trying to cash his paycheck in Ohio
- An incident at a bank near Cleveland has spawned an unfortunate hashtag: #BankingWhileBlack, reports NBC News . When Paul McCowns, who is black, showed up at Huntington Bank in the Ohio suburb of Brooklyn to cash his first check from a new job, the tellers got suspicious. After they tried calling...
Suspect in $4.3M Bank Theft
Had Elaborate Getaway: DOJ
Sep 27, 2018 4:03 AM CDT
Suspect in $4.3M Bank Theft Had Elaborate Getaway: DOJ
Extradited Alaska man drove, flew, cabbed it, and took a bus all the way to Mexico
- Seven years after a bank in Alaska had more than $4 million lifted, the man suspected of stealing the money has been extradited back there—all the way from Mexico. A DOJ release reports that 33-year-old Gerardo "Gary" Adan Cazarez Valenzuela, who used to be the cash vault services...
4 Dead After Shooting
at Cincinnati Bank
Sep 6, 2018 11:01 AM CDT
4 Dead After Shooting at Cincinnati Bank
Shooter is among the dead, reportedly killed by a police officer
- Police say four people are dead, including the gunman, in a downtown Cincinnati bank shooting. Police Chief Eliot Isaac said the shooter opened fire early Thursday morning at the loading dock of the Fifth Third Bank building, then entered the bank's lobby where he was confronted by police, per...
FBI Warns New 'ATM Cash-Out'
Scheme May Be Imminent
Aug 13, 2018 8:24 AM CDT
FBI Warns New 'ATM Cash-Out' Scheme May Be Imminent
An alert was sent to banks on Friday
- "ATM cash-out." It's a phrase that has the ring of a game show but the reality of a nightmare, at least according to the FBI, which has issued a warning about the scheme. Per Krebs on Security , the FBI has been on the receiving end of "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Musk's Surprise Friday Leak: 'The Twitter Files'
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.