Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
PA: None 'More Deserving' of
Life in Prison Than These 3
Jan 18, 2023 1:30 PM CST
PA: None 'More Deserving' of Life in Prison Than These 3
Family members sentenced for 2020 murder of store security guard over mask requirement
- Three family members in Michigan have been sentenced to life in prison without parole over their involvement in the fatal shooting of a security guard who tried to enforce a store's mask requirement. Larry Teague, wife Sharmel Teague, and Sharmel's adult son Ramonyea Bishop were each convicted of...
Ex-Michigan Governor Catches
Big Break in Flint Case
Dec 10, 2022 11:30 AM CST
Ex-Michigan Governor Catches Big Break in Flint Case
Judge dismisses criminal charges against Rick Snyder, 8 years after water issues began
- A judge dismissed criminal charges against former Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder in the Flint water crisis, months after the state Supreme Court said indictments returned by a one-person grand jury were invalid. Snyder, a Republican who left office in 2019, had been charged with two misdemeanor counts of willful neglect...
Court Throws Out
Against Rick Snyder
Jun 28, 2022 5:42 PM CDT
Court Throws Out Flint Charges Against Rick Snyder
Former Michigan governor's lawyers slam 'vindictive' prosecution
: Charges against former Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder in connection with the Flint water scandal have been thrown out by the state's top court. The Michigan Supreme Court ruled in a 6-0 decision Monday that while state laws authorize a judge acting as a one-person grand jury "to...
Flint School Board
Meeting Turns Violent
Mar 25, 2022 5:03 AM CDT
Flint School Board Meeting Turns Violent
President was voted out after what witnesses said was a shocking attack
- A school board president in Flint, Michigan, was unanimously voted out after a meeting Wednesday morning escalated into what witnesses said was a shocking attack. Flint Community Schools Board of Education President Danielle Green allegedly assaulted Treasurer Laura MacIntyre during a meeting of the board's finance committee, MLive.com...
$600M Flint Settlement
Nov 10, 2021 7:10 PM CST
Judge Approves $600M Flint Settlement
Thousands will be eligible for payments over contaminated water
: Calling it "a remarkable achievement," a judge in Michigan has approved a $626.5 million settlement for thousands of people in Flint whose water was contaminated with lead. US District Judge Judith Levy said Wednesday that the package "is consistent for every qualifying participant, regardless...
Report: Ex-Gov Will Be
Charged in Flint Water Probe
Jan 12, 2021 6:21 PM CST
Report: Ex-Gov Will Be Charged in Flint Water Probe
Sources say Snyder, other officials have been told they will face charges
- Former Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder, his health director, and other ex-officials have been told they’re being charged after a new investigation of the Flint water scandal, which devastated the majority Black city with lead-contaminated water and was blamed for a deadly outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in 2014-15, insiders say....
Suspect's Sister Charged
After Family Dollar Murder
May 8, 2020 12:10 AM CDT
Suspect's Sister Charged After Family Dollar Murder
Brya Bishop accused of lying to police
- The sister of one of the fugitives accused of killing a security guard at a Family Dollar in Michigan last week has become the fourth family member to be charged in the case. Brya Bishop has been charged with tampering with evidence, lying to police investigating a violent crime, and...
Foreman at Flint Water Plant
Warned 'People Are Gonna Die'
Sep 7, 2019 5:11 PM CDT
Foreman at Flint Water Plant Warned 'People Are Gonna Die'
Matt McFarland's alarm is reported in upcoming PBS documentary
- The warning is about as stark as it gets: “It’s not safe. We’re not ready. People are gonna die." The words were from Matt McFarland, who worked as a foreman at the water plant in Flint, Michigan, in 2014—just before the city began using the...
Nature' for New
Aug 23, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
City Official Blames 'Mother Nature' for New Flint Mess
2M gallons of raw sewage spill into Flint River
- Flint is still contending with its long-standing water issues , and now there's a new mess in the beleaguered Michigan city. MLive.com reports that "months after dire warnings" of reaching a "critical point," 2 million gallons of raw sewage ended up in the Flint River Sunday,...
The Best- and Worst-Run
Cities in America
Jul 1, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
The Best- and Worst-Run Cities in America
Nampa, Idaho, is No. 1, and Washington, DC, is last in WalletHub ranking
- The best-run city in the US isn't exactly a household name. Nampa, Idaho, gets the honor in a new ranking from WalletHub . The site ranked 150 of the nation's largest cities (including Washington, DC) on a range of factors, including financial stability, education, health, safety, infrastructure, and pollution....
'Stunning' Reversal in
Flint Water Crisis
Jun 13, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
'Stunning' Reversal in Flint Water Crisis
Prosecutors drop charges, vow fresh probe
- Prosecutors dropped all criminal charges Thursday against eight people in the Flint water crisis and pledged to start from scratch the investigation into one of the worst man-made environmental disasters in US history. The stunning decision comes more than three years—and millions of dollars—after authorities began examining the...
Felony Charges Dropped
in Flint Water Case
Dec 27, 2018 4:05 AM CST
Felony Charges Dropped in Flint Water Case
2 regulators take plea deals
- Two Michigan environmental regulators implicated in the Flint water scandal pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor Wednesday in exchange for more serious charges being dropped, bringing to six the number of officials who have agreed to such deals. Stephen Busch pleaded no contest to disturbing a public meeting, and Michael...
Elon Musk for
a Promise Kept
Oct 10, 2018 10:10 AM CDT
Flint Thanks Elon Musk for a Promise Kept
Donation will pay for water filtration systems at schools
- Clean drinking water—it's an underappreciated luxury coming at long last to students in Flint, Mich., thanks to Elon Musk. Following his July vow to assist in the Flint water crisis, the Tesla and SpaceX CEO and the Musk Foundation donated $480,350 to the Flint City School District,...
Miss America Intro
Is Getting Major Props
Sep 10, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Miss Michigan's Miss America Intro Is Getting Major Props
She used her intro time to call out the ongoing Flint, Michigan, water crisis
- Emily Sioma may not have won Sunday night's Miss America pageant , but many commentators believe she had the best introduction of any contestant. "From the state with 84% of the US' fresh water but none for its residents to drink, I am Miss Michigan Emily Sioma," she...
Watchdog to EPA:
You Need to Do Better
After Flint Crisis
Jul 19, 2018 2:01 PM CDT
Watchdog to EPA: You Need to Do Better After Flint Crisis
Federal watchdog calls on EPA to strengthen its oversight of state drinking water systems
- A federal watchdog is calling on the Environmental Protection Agency to strengthen its oversight of state drinking water systems in the wake of the lead crisis in Flint, Michigan, the AP reports. The EPA's Office of Inspector General says in a report that the agency must take steps now...
Elon Musk Promises to Fix
Flint Water Contamination
Jul 12, 2018 2:04 AM CDT
Elon Musk Promises to Fix Flint Water Contamination
He says anybody who needs a filter will get one
- He sent a sports car to space , but can he fix Flint's water crisis? Elon Musk says the answer is yes. In response to a request Wednesday on Twitter, the Tesla and SpaceX CEO promised that he would deal with the scandal in the Michigan city, where the water...
Researchers See Grim Toll
on Fetuses From Flint Water
Sep 22, 2017 6:52 AM CDT
Researchers See Grim Toll on Fetuses From Flint Water
'This represents a couple hundred fewer children born'
- Two researchers looked into whether tainted water in Flint, Michigan, had any effect on the city's fertility rate, and the resulting data led them to a chilling assessment: "This represents a couple hundred fewer children born that otherwise would have been," says David Slusky of Kansas University...
FBI: Flint Airport Attacker
'Has a Hatred for the US'
Jun 22, 2017 4:19 AM CDT
FBI: Flint Airport Attacker 'Has a Hatred for the US'
Canada condemns 'cowardly' attack
- "Suffice to say, he had a hatred of the United States," Detroit FBI chief David Gelios says of Canadian citizen Amor Ftouhi, who is accused of stabbing a police officer in a suspected terrorist attack at Flint, Michigan's airport. Ftouhi, a 49-year-old Montreal resident, has been charged...
Man Charged in Suspected
Terrorist Attack at Mich. Airport
Jun 21, 2017 6:01 PM CDT
Man Charged in Suspected Terrorist Attack at Mich. Airport
Canadian allegedly stabbed airport officer in neck
- The FBI says a Canadian man charged with stabbing an airport officer in the neck in Flint, Michigan, made references during the attack to people being killed in Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Special agent in charge David Gelios says authorities are investigating the attack by Amor Ftouhi as an act...
Manslaughter Charges Filed
Over Flint Water Crisis
Jun 14, 2017 11:24 AM CDT
Manslaughter Charges Filed Over Flint Water Crisis
State health chief, 4 others face involuntary manslaughter charges
- Five city and state officials were charged Wednesday with involuntary manslaughter over the water crisis in Flint, Michigan, the
Detroit Free Press
reports. They are Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Director Nick Lyon—the highest-ranking official to be charged in the water crisis so far, per the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
This Is 'the Worst Kind of Earthquake'
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.