Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
They Found His Body
—Then His Snakes
Jan 21, 2022 11:40 AM CST
They Found His Body —Then His Snakes
Maryland man was keeping illegal collection of venomous pets: police
- A Maryland man was found dead on the floor of his Pomfret home Wednesday surrounded by some 125 pet snakes, some of which were venomous and illegal to possess. A cause of the death for the 49-year-old, who lived alone, is not yet known. There were no signs of foul...
Homeowner's Attempt to Smoke
Out Snakes Torches Home
Dec 5, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Homeowner's Attempt to Smoke Out Snakes Torches Home
At least they got rid of the snakes
- A Maryland homeowner's Nov. 23 attempt to use smoke to dispense with a snake infestation was incredibly successful--but they managed to get rid of most of their house, as well. Per Fox 5 DC , Montgomery County fire officials said the owner of the home in the Poolesville area apparently...
Man Found Guilty
of Killing His Wife
With a Cobra
in case you missed it
Oct 17, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Man Found Guilty of Killing His Wife With a Cobra
Sooraj Kumar receives rare double life sentence in India
- A man convicted of killing his wife by forcing a venomous cobra to bite her has received a rare double life sentence in India. Police determined Sooraj Kumar had twice used snakes in an attempt to kill his 25-year-old wife Uthra, succeeding on the second attempt. Uthra, mother to a...
Wriggling Surprise Lurked
Under California Home
Oct 16, 2021 10:02 AM CDT
Wriggling Surprise Lurked Under California Home
Reptile rescuer pulled nearly 100 rattlesnakes out of house's foundation
- The number of snakes under a California house was a surprise to everyone, even the snake wrangler hired to deal with them. “I found a total of 92 rattlesnakes under that house—I was tickled pink,” Al Wolf, also the director of Sonoma County Reptile Rescue, told KGO...
Rattlesnakes Can Fool Us
With Their Rattles
Aug 24, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Rattlesnakes Can Fool Us With Their Rattles
They change the frequency, making it sound like they're closer than they really are
- The rattle of a rattlesnake turns out to be way more complicated than we knew. Researchers have discovered that the snakes are masters of auditory deception, reports the BBC . In a new study in
, researchers found that they rattle their tails at a frequency of 40 hertz if...
Python Spotted by a Completely
Appropriate Grocery Shopper
Aug 18, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Python Spotted by a Completely Appropriate Grocery Shopper
Helaina Alati, who encountered the 10-foot-long diamond python, is a snake catcher
- Helaina Alati was browsing the spice aisle of an Australian supermarket when she came face-to-face with a huge snake. The head of the 10-foot-long non-venomous diamond python emerged through a space in a shelf in the Woolworths in the suburb of Glenorie on Sydney’s northwest outskirts. "I was...
He Sat on the
Toilet at Dawn.
Suddenly, a 'Nip'
in case you missed it
Jul 11, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
He Sat on the Toilet at Dawn. Suddenly, a 'Nip'
Python escapes from Austria apartment, ends up in neighbor's bathroom
- An elderly Austrian man had an unpleasant surprise waiting for him while answering nature's call early Monday: a python, in his toilet. The man, identified by the BBC as 65-year-old Walter Erhart, tells the broadcaster that he "went to the toilet as usual" in his Graz apartment around...
Escaped Spitting Cobra
Captured With Glue Traps
Jul 2, 2021 9:47 AM CDT
Escaped Spitting Cobra Captured With Glue Traps
Police in Raleigh say it is now in state custody
- Raleigh residents no longer have to fear encountering an escaped cobra capable of blinding them with venom from nine feet away. An escaped spitting zebra cobra on the loose since Monday was captured in a home Wednesday night and was in state custody Thursday, the
News & Observer
If You See This Snake in NC,
Don't Go Near It—Call 911
Jun 30, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
If You See This Snake in NC, Don't Go Near It—Call 911
Police are on the lookout in Raleigh for an escaped zebra cobra
- If you're out for a jog or walking your dog in Raleigh today, you might want to steer clear of the Brittany Woods neighborhood. WRAL reports that residents there "are waking up to another day of anxiety" after police reported that a highly toxic zebra cobra is on...
Miles From Shore, He Found
a Deadly Snake in His Boat
May 3, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Miles From Shore, He Found a Deadly Snake in His Boat
'I didn't like the bugger,' Aussie man says after lucky escape
- A bite from a tiger snake can cause a victim to collapse within 15 minutes, so Australian man Bob Thatcher was understandably nervous when he spotted one just inches from his feet when his tiny fishing boat was 30 minutes from shore. The 80-year-old retired banker tells the
Apr 16, 2021 4:36 PM CDT
He Bought Lettuce at Store, Found This Creature
That would be a venomous snake, in Australia
- Alex White thought he was watching a huge worm writhing in plastic-wrapped lettuce he’d just brought home from a Sydney supermarket—until a snake tongue flicked. “I kind of completely freaked out," recalls White, per the AP . It was a venomous pale-headed snake that authorities say made...
Snake Bites Zoo Worker,
and There's No Antivenom
Apr 13, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
Snake Bites Zoo Worker, and There's No Antivenom
'Incidents like this are very rare,' zoo says
- A San Diego Zoo employee was hospitalized Monday after being bitten by a venomous snake—one for which no antivenom exists. The zoo says the worker was bitten by the African bush viper—aka
—in an area of the zoo that is off-limits to the public, KGTV reports....
a Bizarre Theft
Dec 25, 2020 12:41 PM CST
Petco Reports a Bizarre Theft
Cops say 2 people ran off with a python
- Police in Peabody, Massachusetts, are looking for a couple who slithered away with a snake worth $300 from a city pet store, per the AP . The couple entered the Petco store around 4:30pm Monday, police tell the
. The man asked an employee if he could play with...
One State Wants to Put
Pythons on the Menu
Dec 20, 2020 2:22 PM CST
One State Wants to Put Pythons on the Menu
It has 'the texture of fish, but ... tastes more like chicken'
- Python and a brew, anyone? That might just become a happy-hour special in Florida if it turns out the snakes are safe enough to eat. But state officials first have to figure out whether Florida pythons contain too much mercury, CNN reports. "We would like to use consumption as...
Elon Musk's Newest
Foe: Sleeping Snakes
Dec 8, 2020 4:18 PM CST
Elon Musk's Newest Foe: Sleeping Snakes
Construction on hold at site of German gigafactory
- Tesla is hoping to have its first European factory up and running by July. But that plan was in doubt Tuesday after a German court ordered the company to stop clearing a forest on the proposed site in Gruenheide, south of Berlin. The reason: sleeping snakes. As Reuters and the...
2 Reasons Why This Python's
7 Eggs Are Totally Weird
Sep 11, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
2 Reasons Why This Python's 7 Eggs Are Totally Weird
First, she's 62 years old. Second, she hasn't been near a male python for 2 decades
- A 62-year-old ball python surprised experts at the St. Louis Zoo by laying seven eggs, despite not being near a male python for at least two decades. Mark Wanner, manager of herpetology at the zoo, says it's unusual but not unheard of for ball pythons to reproduce asexually. The...
After Ga. Homeowner
Kills Python in Yard, a Warning
Aug 29, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
After Ga. Homeowner Kills Python in Yard, a Warning
'Please do NOT release exotic animals'
- Pythons are native to Southeast Asia, Australia, and Africa—so when they turn up in someone's yard in the US, it attracts notice. That's what recently happened at a home in Walton County, Ga., where what looks like a ball python showed up, only to meet its demise...
Thousands of Pythons
Removed From Everglades
Aug 3, 2020 1:46 AM CDT
Thousands of Pythons Removed From Everglades
Namely, 5K since 2017
- Burmese pythons have invaded the Florida Everglades and are wreaking havoc, and last week, the state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission announced it has removed 5,000 of them from the ecosystem since a python elimination program was established in 2017. The snakes, which likely got established after pets were...
Zoo Offers Up a Little V-Day
Revenge for the Lovelorn
Feb 11, 2020 7:51 AM CST
Zoo Offers Up a Little V-Day Revenge for the Lovelorn
For $25, you can name a mouse after your ex, watch it get fed to a snake
- The San Antonio Zoo is getting in on the trend of Valentine's Day revenge , offering to name a rat after your ex and feed it to a snake. The feast goes down Feb. 14, with a $25 charge per submission. Or you can go the $5 route and name...
Before Miami's Super Bowl,
a Massive Snake Hunt
Jan 11, 2020 8:30 AM CST
Before Miami's Super Bowl, a Massive Snake Hunt
'Python Bowl' participants to hunt down invasive Burmese pythons for cash and prizes
- Miami's upcoming Super Bowl will mean death for dozens of invasive Burmese pythons in the Everglades—and wildlife officials say that's a good thing. The game's organizing committee is working with Florida to promote the Python Bowl, a 10-day contest that began Friday that will give out...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
Alicia Witt on Parents' Deaths: 'I Had No Idea' Heat Was Out
Boy Who Wrote Letter About Guns and Murder Is Shot Dead
Hospital Boosts Security After Bizarre NICU Incident
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.