Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 22, 2022 12:15 PM CST
The Queen of Goldfish Is Caught
Andy Hackett brings 67-pound Carrot to the surface in France
- If you were wowed by headlines about a 9-pound goldfish caught in South Carolina, you'll be stunned by what's come out of a lake in France. Andy Hackett was on a fishing trip with friends when he pulled up a massive goldfish weighing 67 pounds, or as much...
Plead Not Guilty
Oct 27, 2022 1:02 AM CDT
Fishermen in Cheating Scandal Plead Not Guilty
Video of the discovery of alleged cheating went viral last month
- The fishermen accused of stuffing their catch with weights in an attempt to win a walleye tournament in Ohio last month pleaded not guilty to cheating charges in court Wednesday. Jacob Runyan and Chase Cominsky did not speak during their appearances in court, Cleveland.com reports. They are charged with...
That Colorful Aquarium Masks
a Sometimes Dark Trade
Oct 23, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
That Colorful Aquarium Masks a Sometimes Dark Trade
Experts say demand for fish is contributing to degradation of delicate coral ecosystems
- Millions of saltwater fish of all shades and shapes are caught in Indonesia and other countries every year to fill ever more elaborate aquariums in living rooms, waiting rooms, and restaurants around the world. "It's just so much fun to just watch the antics between different varieties of...
2 Fishermen Charged in
'Disgusting' Cheating Scandal
Oct 13, 2022 7:46 AM CDT
2 Fishermen Charged in 'Disgusting' Cheating Scandal
They allegedly stuffed walleye with lead weights, fish fillets at Ohio tournament
- In video from a Sept. 30 fishing tournament in Ohio, members of an angry crowd, some of them using NSFW language, shouted "Call the cops" and "You should go to jail" after apparent cheating was uncovered. Police were indeed called—and the alleged cheaters might go to jail....
Suspiciously Heavy Fish
Lead to Chaos at Tournament
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 8, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
Team disqualified in Ohio after their walleyes were found stuffed with weights, fillets
- First the chess world was rocked by cheating allegations . Now, it's joined by the competitive fishing world. Video started making the rounds over the weekend promoting a "serious controversy" out of Ohio, in which a two-man team is now accused of stuffing their entries in a local tournament...
Dad Was Intoxicated When
He and His Kids Drowned
Sep 8, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Dad Was Intoxicated When He and His Kids Drowned
Kyle Moorman and his 3 children set out to go night fishing
The Indiana father and his three children who were found dead in a submerged car in an Indianapolis pond in July died accidentally. The deaths of Kyle Moorman, 27, and his children—1-year-old Kyran Holland, 2-year-old Kyannah Holland, and 5-year-old Kyle Moorman II—were the result of accidental freshwater...
Sailfish Sends Woman
to the Hospital in Florida
Jul 24, 2022 8:12 AM CDT
Sailfish Sends Woman to the Hospital in Florida
70-year-old is stabbed by the bill of the fish as it was being reeled in
- A 70-year-old woman was stabbed by the bill of a 100-pound sailfish that leapt out of the water as her companions were trying to reel it in on a boat near the Florida coast, authorities said. The sailfish stabbed the woman from Arnold, Maryland, in the groin area with its...
Massive Dump of Dead Fish
Feb 6, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Massive Dump of Dead Fish Prompts Investigation
More than 100K came from huge fishing trawler off the coast of France
- From the air, it looks for all the world like an ordinary streak of sea foam, notes France24 . It's only up close that it becomes clear the streak of white is actually a massive blob of dead fish—an estimated 100,000 or more of them off the coast...
Lawsuit: Red Lobster
Made 'Deceptive' Claims
About Its Lobsters
Jun 16, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
Lawsuit: Red Lobster Made 'Deceptive' Claims About Its Lobsters
Some of its seafood isn't sustainable or responsible, suit argues
- Red Lobster has been making some fishy claims about its product, according to a class- action lawsuit filed in California. According to court documents, the plaintiffs say the chain markets its lobster and shrimp as "sustainable" and "responsible" when the truth is very different, IntraFish reports. The lawsuit,...
Wildlife Official Reels In
7-Foot Fish in Detroit
May 1, 2021 10:26 AM CDT
Wildlife Official Reels In 7-Foot Fish in Detroit
240-pound sturgeon, which was released, could be 100 years old
- It's quite a fish tale. A 240-pound sturgeon that could be more than 100 years old was caught last week in the Detroit River by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The "real life river monster" was nearly 7 feet long, the agency said Friday on Facebook , where...
Their 'Fish Story' Ended
With Felony Convictions
Sep 24, 2020 9:02 AM CDT
Their 'Fish Story' Ended With Felony Convictions
2 pleaded guilty to tampering to influence a fishing contest
- There's a reason a "fish story" has become synonymous with the unbelievable. Two fisherman have pleaded guilty to felony charges for lying about some impressive fish entered in a Utah fishing tournament. Robert Dennett, 45, and Kamron Wootton, 35, are the first people in the state's history...
'Dark Fishing Fleets' Blamed
for Rise in Ghost Ships
Jul 23, 2020 2:09 PM CDT
'Dark Fishing Fleets' Blamed for Rise in Ghost Ships
Chinese vessels are forcing North Koreans to fish elsewhere, researchers say
- "Ghost ships" carrying the bodies—or skeletons—of North Korean fishermen have been washing up in Japan for years, but there was a massive increase after 2017. A new study links the rise to "dark fishing fleets" of Chinese vessels in North Korean waters in violation of United...
Sheriff: 3 Men
Going Fishing Killed
in 'Horrific Scene'
Jul 19, 2020 9:08 AM CDT
Sheriff: 3 Men Going Fishing Killed in 'Horrific Scene'
Friends were going night fishing in remote Florida area when they were beaten and shot to death
- Three friends on their way to go fishing were beaten and shot to death in a grisly scene in the backwoods of Florida that the Polk County sheriff is calling a "massacre." “This is a horrific scene," Grady Judd tells the Lakeland
Jun 27, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Swimmer Seen Prying Open Shark's Mouth
'It was so crazy, like a movie. Like Jaws.'
- A swimmer in Delaware was caught on camera prying a shark's mouth open with his hands this weekend in an effort to free it from a fishing hook, the AP reports. The video shows the man grabbing onto the shark at a beach in Cape Henlopen State Park. He...
5 Missing After Crab Boat
Sinks in Gulf of Alaska
Jan 2, 2020 4:27 AM CST
5 Missing After Crab Boat Sinks in Gulf of Alaska
There was a 'careful consideration of survival probability'
- After an effort that spanned 1,400 square miles over 20 hours, the Coast Guard has suspended its search for survivors from a crabbing boat that sank in gale-force winds in the Gulf of Alaska on New Year's Eve. The Coast Guard says two "extremely hypothermic" members of...
There's a 'Zombie'
in Our Oceans
Nov 6, 2019 9:25 AM CST
There's a 'Zombie' in Our Oceans
Greenpeace report finds dumped fishing gear is a leading plastic polluter
- Try to comprehend just how much 55,000 double-decker buses weigh. It's a whole heck of a lot—more than a billion pounds. That's how much commercial fishing gear is abandoned in our oceans each year, according to a new report from Greenpeace on "ghost gear."...
The Snow and Rain Came,
Then Lots of Salmon
Aug 23, 2019 7:35 AM CDT
The Snow and Rain Came, Then Lots of Salmon
After 5 years of drought, California is seeing one of its best salmon fishing seasons in years
- California fishermen are reporting one of the best salmon fishing seasons in years, thanks to heavy rain and snow that ended the state's historic drought. It's a sharp reversal for chinook salmon, also known as king salmon, an iconic species that helps sustain many Pacific Coast fishing communities,...
Banned From US Fisheries
Aug 20, 2019 12:27 AM CDT
'Codfather' Permanently Banned From US Fisheries
He was found guilty of fish fraud
- A fishing magnate known as the Codfather will never be allowed to return to US fisheries, the federal government said Monday in announcing it has settled its civil case against a man whose arrest for shirking quotas and smuggling profits overseas shocked the East Coast industry. The settlement with Carlos...
Talk About a Fish Tale:
This One's a Doozy
Jun 25, 2019 12:12 PM CDT
Talk About a Fish Tale: This One's a Doozy
Divorced man attaches wedding ring to fish, and it's re-caught at a tournment
- "I didn't know steelhead get married," a fisherman quipped Friday after a fish was pulled from Lake Michigan with a wedding band fixed to its tail with a zip-tie. The
unravels the mystery: Four years after his divorce, fishing guide Jason Rose felt his wedding...
Son Dies Trying to Save Dad
Who Sleepily Stepped in Lake
May 27, 2019 2:02 PM CDT
Son Dies Trying to Save Dad Who Sleepily Stepped in Lake
Jermiah Israel and his father were fishing on West Point Lake
- In a sad story from Georgia, a son dived into a lake to save his father—but only the father came out alive, the
LaGrange Daily News
reports. Seems Jermiah Israel, 34, was sleeping alongside his dad Sunday night on boat tied to a bridge after a day of fishing....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
Gravel Racing Was on the Rise. Then, a Murder
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.