Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Unwanted First in Cannabis
Industry: Fatal Asthma Attack
Nov 16, 2023 3:45 PM CST
Unwanted First in Cannabis Industry: Fatal Asthma Attack
Employee's death in plant highlights a health risk in the growing field
- A 27-year-old woman suffered a fatal asthma attack last year in what health and workplace safety officials said was the US cannabis industry's first reported occupational asthma death, per the AP . The woman was working in a cannabis cultivation and processing facility in Massachusetts when she experienced work-related respiratory...
Ohio Votes to Legalize Weed
Nov 7, 2023 9:34 PM CST
Ohio Votes to Legalize Weed
Race is called with 56% in favor
- Ohio on Tuesday became the 24th state to legalize adult use of cannabis for non-medical reasons. Voters approved the measure to legalize recreational pot for those 21 and over, the AP reports. The law, which allows for the possession and purchasing of up to 2.5 ounces of cannabis as...
May Be Doing
Nov 6, 2023 12:32 PM CST
Pot Smokers May Be Doing Damage to Their Tickers
Researchers find daily users have a 34% greater risk of heart failure; heart attack, stroke risk also up
- If you think you're avoiding serious health issues by switching from smoking tobacco to smoking pot, you might want to reassess. Two new still-to-be-published studies, set to be presented Nov. 13 at an American Heart Association meeting in Philadelphia, show that people who use marijuana on a daily basis...
Minnesota's Cannabis Boss
Runs Into Cannabis Trouble
Sep 25, 2023 3:05 PM CDT
Minnesota's Cannabis Boss Runs Into Cannabis Trouble
Erin Dupree was about to assume post before reports emerged of her company's illegal sales
- The recently appointed director of Minnesota's new marijuana regulatory agency has resigned amid reports that she sold illegal cannabis products in the state, per the AP . Erin Dupree ran a business that sold products exceeding state limits on THC potency, owed money to former associates, and accumulated tens of...
Mastercard Brings Hammer
Down on Pot Purchases
Jul 27, 2023 7:33 AM CDT
Mastercard Brings Hammer Down on Pot Purchases
Company says it's banning cannabis transactions on its debit cards, as cannabis isn't legal federally
- Looking to pick up some pot at the dispensary? Don't pull out your Mastercard. On Wednesday, the payment processing company announced it had informed financial institutions that it would not be allowing marijuana purchases on its debit cards, in what Reuters describes as "a blow to an industry...
on Pot Tests for Jobs
Jul 22, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Employers Surrendering on Pot Tests for Jobs
More employers scrapping the practice amid fast-changing laws
- It's a brave new world in regard to marijuana use in the US, and getting braver all the time. In May, Minnesota became the 23rd state to legalize recreational use of the drug, notes Reuters , and a number of outlets have been cataloguing the resulting nationwide changes:
They Grow Pot Illegally,
Leave Behind an 'Eyesore'
Jun 10, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
They Grow Pot Illegally, Leave Behind an 'Eyesore'
Oregon Legislature passes bill to make landowners responsible for messy aftermath of illicit grows
- Oregon has long been known as a mecca for high-quality marijuana, but that reputation has come with a downside: illegal growers who offer huge amounts of cash to lease or buy land, then leave behind pollution, garbage, and a drained water table. Now, a bill passed by the Oregon Legislature...
Is Legal in a 23rd State
May 30, 2023 6:57 PM CDT
Recreational Marijuana Is Legal in a 23rd State
Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura joined Gov. Tim Walz for signing ceremony
- Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz was joined by a high-profile predecessor Tuesday when he signed a bill to make the state the 23rd in the nation to legalize marijuana for recreational use. Former WWF wrestler Jesse Ventura, who governed the state from 1999 to 2003, was among the first governors in...
Pot Farms Face Threat From
Widely Spreading Pathogen
May 29, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Pot Farms Face Threat From Widely Spreading Pathogen
Nearly every growing operation in California has it, scientists say
- California's marijuana industry is facing a major threat in the form of an infectious pathogen that scientists say has reached almost every pot farm in the state. The damage could run in the billions of dollars, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. Hop-latent viroid grows unseen for months in cannabas...
California Cannabis Industry
Fears a Big Crash Soon
May 20, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
California Cannabis Industry Fears a Big Crash Soon
Unpaid debts and taxes could lead to pot store shutdowns
- The massive cannabis industry in California is in real peril, with one industry vet telling SF Gate that an "extinction event" is on the horizon. A number of marijuana dispensaries are in danger of closing due to mounting debt and missed tax payments, according to the outlet. While the...
Singapore Executes Man
Over 2.2 Lbs. of Pot
Apr 26, 2023 12:08 AM CDT
Singapore Executes Man Over 2.2 Lbs. of Pot
Tangaraju Suppiah had maintained his innocence
- Despite protests that spread far beyond its borders, Singapore on Wednesday executed a man who was convicted in 2018 of aiding an attempt to smuggle 2.2 pounds of cannabis into the country. British billionaire Richard Branson was among those urging Singapore to give Tangaraju Suppiah clemency, warning, "Singapore...
Daily Pot Use May Take
a Toll on the Heart
Feb 24, 2023 1:55 PM CST
Daily Pot Use May Take a Toll on the Heart
Study suggests regular marijuana use leads to greater risk of coronary artery disease
- A new Stanford study released Friday found evidence that people who smoke or vape cannabis every day could be at higher risk for coronary artery disease than nonusers. CNN quoted study author Dr. Ishan Paranjpe, who said there is "a growing body of evidence" suggesting cannabis is not harmless...
Judge: Taking Guns From
Pot Smokers Unconstitutional
Feb 6, 2023 8:03 AM CST
Judge: Taking Guns From Pot Smokers Unconstitutional
Jared Michael Harrison wins his federal case in Oklahoma
- A federal judge in Oklahoma has ruled that a federal law prohibiting people who use marijuana from owning firearms is unconstitutional, the latest challenge to firearms regulations after the US Supreme Court's conservative majority set new standards for reviewing the nation's gun laws. Lawyers for Jared Michael Harrison...
Kids Got Their Hands On Lots
of Edibles During Pandemic
Jan 3, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Kids Got Their Hands On Lots of Edibles During Pandemic
Study finds 1,375% spike in reports to poison centers involving children under 6 from 2017 to '21
- More than 40% of human poison exposure calls to US poison centers in 2020 were about children who'd accidentally been exposed to cannabis, according to a new study, which shows an alarming rise in accidental ingestion of edibles in particular. The number of children under 6 who accidentally ate...
47K People Just Got
Weed Offenses Wiped
Nov 22, 2022 5:44 AM CST
47K People Just Got Weed Offenses Wiped
Ore. Gov. Kate Brown's pardon applies to simple possession convictions from before 2016
- More than 47,000 Oregonians will have prior offenses pardoned in a move Gov. Kate Brown announced Monday. Brown said she will pardon simple marijuana possession offenses in certain cases, a move that will also see the $14 million in fines and fees associated with those offenses forgiven, KATU reports....
Struck a 'Historic'
Nov 5, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
'Diddy' Just Struck a 'Historic' Cannabis Deal
Rapper Sean Combs' acquisitions will create the biggest Black-owned pot company in the US
- Sean Combs already has branched out from his rapper and producer career with business ventures in the fashion, alcohol, and media worlds. Now "Diddy" is dipping his toe into marijuana, with a deal worth up to $185 million that, if approved by federal and state regulators, may result in...
Uber Eats Launches Its
First Pot Delivery Service
Oct 17, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Uber Eats Launches Its First Pot Delivery Service
Toronto program is a world first, company says
- Pot smokers in Canada's biggest city might now be calling Uber Eats long before they get the munchies. In what the company says is a world first, it is partnering with cannabis marketplace Leafly for home cannabis delivery in Toronto, Engadget reports. "This is the first time cannabis...
Today's Potent Marijuana
Poses Bigger Addiction Risk
Jul 26, 2022 4:34 PM CDT
Today's Potent Marijuana Poses Bigger Addiction Risk
Users of high-potency THC products have 4 times the risk of users of low-potency products
- Cannabis potency is climbing and with it the risk of addiction to the drug. That's according to a review of 20 studies involving nearly 120,000 people, published in
The Lancet Psychiatry
, per CNN . "One of the highest quality studies included in our publication found that use of...
Pot Plant's Blinds Won't Close,
Creating 'Sunset on Steroids'
Jul 22, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Pot Plant's Blinds Won't Close, Creating 'Sunset on Steroids'
Sky turned an eerie pink over Aussie city of Mildura, leading to rumors of solar flare, aliens, apocalypse
- No, there's not a Kenny Rogers Roasters opening in Mildura, though that was one suggestion this week as to why there's been a strange pink glow hovering over the Australian city. Locals had been worriedly musing over the origin of the colorful but mysterious light, which made its...
Show Court a
Jul 15, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
Griner's Lawyers Show Court a Doctor's Note
In letter, doctor recommended WNBA star use medical cannabis for pain
- Brittney Griner's trial resumed in Khimki, Russia, on Friday, and a key defense argument tied her apparent use of vape cartridges to her health. Reuters reports that in the fourth hearing for the WNBA star, her lawyers told the court that Griner had been authorized to use medical cannabis...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.