Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NASA Designs New
Message for Aliens
Apr 10, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
NASA Designs New Message for Aliens
'Beacon in the Galaxy' proposal builds on previous efforts, with some important updates
- The Arecibo message—beamed via interstellar radio in 1974 from its namesake telescope—was “humanity’s first attempt to send out a missive capable of being understood by extraterrestrial intelligence,” per
which reports on efforts to develop a sequel, nicknamed “Beacon in the Galaxy.”...
Evidence of Alien Life Might
Emerge in a Cloud of Methane
Apr 2, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Evidence of Alien Life Might Emerge in a Cloud of Methane
The trick will be ruling out nonbiological explanations
- Methane—a key ingredient in delightful things like swamp gas, flatulence, and fossil-fuel emissions —could also prove to be a key biosignature, i.e., evidence of extraterrestrial life. Thus, the gas is top-of-mind for scientists preparing to receive an influx of data from the James Webb Space Telescope. According...
'Very Weird' Radio Signals
Turn Out to Be Very Human
Oct 26, 2021 7:23 AM CDT
'Very Weird' Radio Signals Turn Out to Be Very Human
Scientists: 2019 signals picked up by telescope at Parkes Observatory were form of radio interference
- If you were hoping we'd soon get to meet our neighbors from an Earth-like planet more than 4 light-years away, we'll be waiting a little longer. More than two years ago, researchers using the Murriyang radio telescope at Australia's Parkes Observatory were excited to pick up "...
Defiant Demi Lovato: Space
Creatures Are 'ETs,' Not 'Aliens'
Oct 12, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
Defiant Demi Lovato: Space Creatures Are 'ETs,' Not 'Aliens'
Singer says 'alien' is an offensive term 'for anything'
- Demi Lovato may need to have a word with Katy Perry .
reports that whispers recently circulated that an upcoming Lovato song is named "Aliens," a rumor that the 29-year-old singer—who goes by the pronouns they/them—seemed to neutralize during an interview with Pedestrian.TV , an...
29 Planets Are in
Prime Spot to
Jun 23, 2021 7:25 PM CDT
29 Planets Are in Prime Spot to Observe Earth
They orbit some of the stars that have a 'cosmic front seat'
- Astronomers searching the cosmos for signs of life are getting curious about who might be looking back. Of the hundreds of billions of stars in our galaxy, astronomers have pinpointed 1,715 nearby systems where their alien counterparts might have been able to detect Earth at some point in the...
Israel's Ex-Space Boss:
Trump Interacted With Aliens
Dec 8, 2020 8:19 AM CST
Israel's Ex-Space Boss: Trump Interacted With Aliens
Haim Eshed claims 'Galactic Federation' is experimenting on Earth, Mars
- The race to get to Mars is apparently a smokescreen. According to the man who led Israel's space security program for almost three decades from 1981 to 2010, American astronauts have already found their way to a secret underground Mars base created by aliens. In an interview with
Sep 14, 2020 11:23 AM CDT
Something Weird Is Happening on Venus
Chemical associated with biological life is detected in the clouds
- Astronomers have found something unexpected in the clouds of Venus—a chemical usually associated with biological life. Does this mean there's life on Venus? Nope, far from it, explains the
MIT Technology Review
. But the gist from coverage is that the discovery is extremely intriguing. In their paper in...
If ET Calls This Week, We
Probably Won't Hear Him
Aug 14, 2020 8:25 AM CDT
If ET Calls This Week, We Probably Won't Hear Him
Famous Arecibo telescope in Puerto Rico is badly damaged by haywire cable
- If aliens pick this month to finally send a message to us earthlings, we might not hear it. The famous Arecibo telescope in Puerto Rico, known for scanning the heavens in search of extraterrestrial signals, has been knocked out of commission for the near future by a giant cable that...
Scientists Have Surprisingly
Specific Answer on Alien Life
in case you missed it
Jun 20, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Scientists Have Surprisingly Specific Answer on Alien Life
Study estimates 36 alien civilizations exist in our galaxy capable of communicating with us
- Asked the meaning of life, the supercomputer in the
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
came up with a very specific answer: 42 . Tasked with a different Big Question—how many intelligent alien civilizations exist in our galaxy—real-life scientists have gotten just as specific: 36. That's the estimate...
First-Ever Radio Signal Hits
Earth From Inside Our Galaxy
May 3, 2020 2:25 PM CDT
First-Ever Radio Signal Hits Earth From Inside Our Galaxy
And scientists think they've found the source
- Intrigued by radio signals from outer space? Scientists have spotted a fast radio burst from inside the Milky Way—the first ever from our own galaxy—and say it might solve the riddle of other such bursts from the cosmos, Science Alert reports. This signal was discovered Tuesday and reported...
Life Endures Pretty Much
Nov 23, 2019 9:40 AM CST
Life Endures Pretty Much Anywhere—Except Here
The landscape at Dallol is forbidding to say the least
- Just because a planet has liquid, don't expect life there—at least according to a new study that delved into one of Earth's most toxic environments, CNN reports. Scientists took samples from the creepy, multicolored pools on a volcanic crater in Ethiopia, and found not one living thing....
'Mystery Men' Took Our
UFO Data: Navy Veterans
Nov 16, 2019 11:50 AM CST
'Mystery Men' Took Our UFO Data: Navy Veterans
5 veterans tell their version of a UFO sighting
- The Navy already admits to seeing "unidentified aerial phenomena." Now five Navy veterans are adding to the story with details about longer video footage and two mysterious visitors, Fox News reports. In a private group chat with
, the veterans tell their version of what happened on...
I Looked for
of Aliens, Found None
Oct 23, 2019 2:08 PM CDT
Snowden: I Looked for Government Proof of Aliens, Found None
NSA leaker talks to Joe Rogan
- Extraterrestrial enthusiasts may be disappointed to hear Edward Snowden's official take on the matter: The infamous NSA leaker doesn't think the government is hiding evidence of extraterrestrial life. While he was a contractor at the National Security Agency, "I had ridiculous access to the networks of the...
Dozens Show Up
at Area 51 Gate
Sep 20, 2019 11:49 AM CDT
Dozens Show Up at Area 51 Gate
No mass storming takes place, but one person is arrested for urinating near the gate
- About 75 people arrived early Friday at a gate at the once-secret Area 51 military base in Nevada—at the time appointed by an internet hoaxster to "storm" the facility to see space aliens—and one person was arrested, authorities said. The "Storm Area 51" invitation spawned festivals...
US Navy Confirms UFO Videos
Sep 19, 2019 1:59 AM CDT
US Navy Confirms UFO Videos
But the Navy doesn't like saying 'UFOs'
- The Navy isn't hiding it: Those purported UFO videos seen in recent years really do show unidentified flying objects, the
reports. "The Navy designates the objects contained in these videos as unidentified aerial phenomena," Navy spokesman Joseph Gradisher told the Black Vault blog last week...
Planet Has Both Water,
Temperature Needed for Life
Sep 11, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
Planet Has Both Water, Temperature Needed for Life
It's a big first
- In a tantalizing first, scientists have discovered water at a planet outside our solar system that has temperatures suitable for life, the AP reports. Two research groups announced this week that they've found water vapor in the atmosphere of a planet 110 light-years away in the constellation Leo. This...
Near-Constant UFO Sightings
Force New Navy Procedure
May 4, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Near-Constant UFO Sightings Force New Navy Procedure
From now on, pilots will be able to submit UFO data
- Angry pilots have prompted the US Navy to draft new guidelines about UFO sightings—but it seems that information will be kept from the public,
reports. "There have been a number of reports of unauthorized and/or unidentified aircraft entering various military-controlled ranges and designated air spaces in recent...
Scientists Are Excited About
the Next Mars Destination
Nov 20, 2018 7:11 AM CST
Scientists Are Excited About the Next Mars Destination
2020 rover will land on site of ancient delta
- Between 3.5 billion and 3.9 billion years ago, when simple life forms were emerging on Earth, a river flowed through a delta system into a lake on Mars, then a warm and wet planet. NASA plans to send a rover there to see if any traces of life...
Officials Make Admission
About Alien Life
Aug 18, 2018 3:50 PM CDT
Officials Make Admission About Alien Life
Germany admits it lacks plan for extra-terrestrials
- The German government says it has made no preparations for the possibility that aliens might land in the European country, the AP reports. In a response to questions from opposition Green Party lawmaker Dieter Janecek, the government says "there are no protocols or plans for a possible first contact...
Town Wants UFO
Apr 14, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
Town Wants UFO Memorial Moved; Witness Says No Way
Thom Reed is willing to pick a fight
- A memorial in a remote corner of Massachusetts that marks a 1969 UFO sighting has been ordered moved, but one man who experienced a close encounter is objecting, the AP reports. The 5,000-pound memorial in Sheffield was installed in 2015, but was moved about 30 feet a few weeks...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
All Nantucket Beaches Are Now Topless Beaches
SCOTUS Hears Case That Could Reshape Elections
Biden Signs NDA Limits Into Law
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.