Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Scientist's Monkey Research Is
Put on Blast: 'I'm Horrified'
Oct 24, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Scientist's Monkey Research Is Put on Blast: 'I'm Horrified'
PETA, animal behavior experts slam Harvard's Margaret Livingstone for her work; others defend her
- A Harvard neuroscientist is drawing backlash for her studies on infant monkeys, as is the scientific journal that referenced the research. Per
, Margaret Livingstone has studied the primates for more than four decades, specifically monkeys' vision. In some of the experiments she's done, in order to see how...
Dogs From Winds
Mar 27, 2022 11:25 AM CDT
Iditarod Mushers Pay for Sheltering Dogs From Winds
Race marshal decides taking dogs inside during storm gave them a competitive advantage
- A fierce winter storm in the last stretch of this year's Iditarod Trail Sled Dog, which ultimately forced six mushers to scratch the same day, now has cost three other mushers for sheltering their dogs instead of leaving them outside in the harsh conditions. Mille Porsild of Denmark, Michelle...
Crash Witness Fell Ill After
Face-to-Face Monkey Meeting
Jan 26, 2022 9:17 AM CST
Crash Witness Fell Ill After Face-to-Face Monkey Meeting
Michele Fallon has received antiviral drugs, rabies treatment as a precaution
- A woman who witnessed Friday's crash in Pennsylvania involving a truck carrying 100 lab-bound monkeys ended up face-to-face with one of the monkeys, and is now receiving treatment as a precaution. "I thought I was just doing the right thing by helping—I had no idea it would...
PETA's Monkey Labor
Claim Sees Another
Jan 26, 2021 3:45 AM CST
PETA's Monkey Labor Claim Sees Another Big Casualty
Target the latest to drop Chaokoh coconut milk
- A brand of coconut milk is slowly disappearing from the shelves of America's retailers thanks to an effort by PETA . Target on Monday confirmed to
that it no longer sells Chaokoh coconut milk after PETA accused the Thai brand of relying on forced monkey labor. Since 2019,...
Canada Goose Makes
a Big Change on Fur
Apr 22, 2020 4:50 PM CDT
Canada Goose Makes a Big Change on Fur
Parka maker says it will only buy 'reclaimed' fur
- After years of pressure from PETA and other groups, Canada Goose says it is making a big change on the use of coyote fur in its luxury parkas—but it's not being eliminated. Instead, the company says that starting in 2022, it will no longer buy "virgin" fur...
SeaWorld Cuts Back
on Dolphin Stunts
Feb 9, 2020 10:59 AM CST
SeaWorld Cuts Back on Dolphin Stunts
PETA declares victory in its campaign
- Although it contends the practice isn't harmful, SeaWorld has decided to no longer have trainers ride dolphins' dorsal fins and snouts in its shows. The announcement came in response to a shareholder proposal by PETA and was filed with the SEC,
reports. SeaWorld said the decision wasn't...
'Shocking' Find Made
at Government Labs
Feb 8, 2020 12:00 PM CST
'Shocking' Find Made at Government Labs
PETA demands an audit at all National Institutes of Health laboratories
- Mice cooked to death. Primates holed up in a room with 24-hour-a-day lights. An owl, denied veterinary care, that dies in a cage. These are among the 31 incidents uncovered through a freedom-of-information request about animal-welfare failures in government labs in 2018 and 2019—labs where official inspections are never...
Fox Accused of Scuttling
Super Bowl Commercial
Jan 31, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Fox Accused of Scuttling Super Bowl Commercial
PETA had it made as a call against 'speciesism'
- PETA says its Colin Kaepernick-themed ad for the Super Bowl is getting a frosty reception over at Fox and might not air at all, TMZ reports. The animal rights group's ad calls for an end to speciesism—in their words, to "challenge people to expand their concept of...
In Small NC
Dec 31, 2019 7:33 AM CST
In Small NC Town, No More NYE Possum Drop
Town of Andrews finally gives up controversial practice after years of backlash
- A longtime New Year's Eve tradition in North Carolina appears to have finally come to a close. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that, after years of protests by animal rights activists, the town of Andrews won't carry out its holiday "Possum Drop," in which a live...
Prosecutor Sees No Crimes
in Santa Anita Horse Deaths
Dec 19, 2019 4:50 PM CST
Prosecutor Sees No Crimes in Santa Anita Horse Deaths
Report says track's toll is lower than in past years but makes recommendations
- Whatever is causing the deaths of horses at Santa Anita Park, it's not criminal conduct, a nine-month investigation has found. Prosecutors made the announcement Thursday in releasing a 17-page report by a task force put together by the Los Angeles County district attorney's office. The task force reported...
PETA Calls for '3 Strikes Rule'
After Latest Horse Death
Oct 26, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
PETA Calls for '3 Strikes Rule' After Latest Horse Death
Mare put down after hurting legs at Santa Anita Park, 35th horse to die since December
- Yet another horse has died at Santa Anita Park, adding more fuel to the fire on why the racetrack in Arcadia, Calif., is still running. Per FOX 5 , GQ Covergirl, said to be a 5- or 6-year-old mare, hurt both front legs during training Friday, and the veterinarian on the...
Feb 19, 2019 3:33 PM CST
PETA Hears From Twitter After Statement on Lagerfeld's Death
Organization defends its statement about fur
- PETA evidently saw the death of fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld as a fitting opportunity to make a statement about wearing fur. Not everyone agreed,
reports. Ingrid Newkirk, the organization's president, said in a statement that Lagerfeld’s death "marks the end of an
era when fur and...
SeaWorld Just Lost
Jan 28, 2019 6:00 PM CST
SeaWorld Just Lost Another Orca
Kayla, 30, died after a brief illness at the theme park's Orlando location
- A 30-year-old orca died Monday at SeaWorld's Orlando park after a brief illness, company officials say. A cause of death won't be known until a post-mortem examination is conducted, per SeaWorld. Kayla began showing signs of discomfort on Saturday, and veterinarians began treating her based on what they...
5 Phrases You Can't Say
Anymore, According to PETA
Dec 5, 2018 10:25 AM CST
5 Phrases You Can't Say Anymore, According to PETA
Don't fret, 'feed a fed horse' is fine
- "I'm going to die laughing" is probably not the reaction PETA was seeking with its latest initiative supporting animal rights, this one demanding people abandon commonly used phrases with "anti-animal language." That includes "kill two birds with one stone," "bring home the bacon,...
Killed in Crash
Aug 31, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
PETA Seeks Roadside Memorial for Lobsters Killed in Crash
Maine officials are reviewing the request for a tombstone
- If you stopped eating crabs at PETA's request , you'll probably love the animal rights group's latest idea. PETA has asked Maine officials for permission to build a 5-foot tombstone in Brunswick to honor an estimated 4,500 lobsters killed when a truck overturned on a highway last...
Aug 24, 2018 3:04 PM CDT
PETA's New Billboard Isn't Pleasing Baltimore
Group is trying to get people to stop eating crabs, and locals are mocking it
- PETA scored a PR win this week when the makers of Animal Crackers agreed to remove the animals on its boxes from cages. But the animal-rights group's newest initiative isn't faring as well, reports the
. Why? A new billboard in Baltimore is trying to get folks...
PETA Push Leads to Change
on Animal Cracker Boxes
Aug 21, 2018 12:06 PM CDT
PETA Push Leads to Change on Animal Cracker Boxes
No more cages on Nabisco snack packaging
- We probably wouldn't want to see lions, elephants, and gorillas at the local zoo or circus busting out from behind bars, but on Nabisco's updated animal-cracker packaging, going cage-free has been deemed perfectly safe.
reports the company has removed any depiction of cages on its boxes...
Court Deals Serious
Blow to Monkey Rights
Apr 23, 2018 7:00 PM CDT
Court Deals Serious Blow to Monkey Rights
PETA sued to secure a macaque's rights to its selfies
- A US appeals court on Monday favored humans over animals in a novel copyright lawsuit filed over a series of entertaining selfies taken by a monkey with a toothy grin. US copyright law does not allow lawsuits that seek to give animals the rights to photographs or other original work,...
PETA Has Issue With Woman
Who Flushed Her Hamster
Feb 9, 2018 5:03 AM CST
PETA Has Issue With Woman Who Flushed Her Hamster
'This must have been a horrific, terrifying death'
- Airlines that accept emotional support animals on flights usually have explicit instructions on which ones are OK and which aren't, but a miscommunication about Spirit Airlines' policy led to hubbub over a hamster. Belen Aldecosea, a 21-year-old college student who was heading home to Florida for surgery on her...
Lawsuit Over Monkey Selfies
Settled Out of Court
Sep 12, 2017 2:11 AM CDT
Lawsuit Over Monkey Selfies Settled Out of Court
Revenue will be shared with wildlife charities
- A lawsuit over who owns the copyright to selfies taken by a monkey was settled before a federal appeals court could answer the novel legal question. Under a deal attorneys announced Monday, the photographer whose camera was used to take the photos agreed to donate 25% of any future revenue...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.