Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Injures Euro 2020 Spectators
Jun 15, 2021 5:26 PM CDT
Parachuting Protester Injures Euro 2020 Spectators
Soccer authorities say several people were hospitalized after Munich stunt
- Several spectators were treated in the hospital for injuries caused by a protester who parachuted into the stadium before France played Germany at the European Championship, UEFA said Tuesday. Debris fell on the field and main grandstand, narrowly missing France coach Didier Deschamps, when the parachutist struck wires for an...
Greenpeace: Fukushima Water
Has a Lurking Danger
Oct 23, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Greenpeace: Fukushima Water Has a Lurking Danger
Group says it has an isotope that could damage human DNA, warns against ocean dump
- Almost a decade after an earthquake triggered a tsunami that caused a meltdown at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, Japan is still grappling with the aftermath of the triple disaster—and with the question of what to do with more than a million metric tons of radioactive water. The government...
There's a 'Zombie'
in Our Oceans
Nov 6, 2019 9:25 AM CST
There's a 'Zombie' in Our Oceans
Greenpeace report finds dumped fishing gear is a leading plastic polluter
- Try to comprehend just how much 55,000 double-decker buses weigh. It's a whole heck of a lot—more than a billion pounds. That's how much commercial fishing gear is abandoned in our oceans each year, according to a new report from Greenpeace on "ghost gear."...
Protester to UK Politician:
You Need Anger Management
Jun 21, 2019 2:44 PM CDT
Protester to UK Politician: You Need Anger Management
Mark Field is suspended after roughly escorting Greenpeace's Janet Barker from room
- A British officeholder has been suspended by Prime Minister Theresa May after video showed him grabbing a protester at a London event and pushing her out of the room. Mark Field, who is a Conservative Party member of Parliament as well as an officer in the Foreign Office, has apologized,...
Is Back in Japan
Jun 10, 2019 7:05 PM CDT
Commercial Whaling Is Back in Japan
Nation withdrew from global moratorium in December
- After pulling out of an international agreement in December, Japan will resume commercial whaling next month. The International Whaling Commission's moratorium took effect in 1986. Japan has limited itself to "scientific whaling" since 1988, Quartz reports, though that claim was widely considered cover for continued commercial whaling. A...
Scotland Busts Paragliding
Jul 15, 2018 7:34 AM CDT
Scotland Busts Paragliding Trump Protester
Yes, it turns out this is a violation of a no-fly zone over Trump's golf course
- President Trump's visit to the United Kingdom has attracted no small amount of protest or controversy, but one of the more innovative protesters has been arrested for his trouble, reports the
The unnamed 55-year-old Greenpeace protester paraglided over Trump's Turnberry resort Friday evening as the US president...
First Photos of Reef
at Amazon's Mouth Stun
Jan 30, 2017 11:55 AM CST
First Photos of Reef at Amazon's Mouth Stun
But environmentalists worry oil drilling could soon put 600-mile-long reef at risk
- Last year, scientists made an amazing discovery under the mud and muck at the mouth of the Amazon River: a long-rumored 600-mile-long coral reef. Now the first images of the natural phenomenon are emerging, captured from a sub sent 720 feet down into the murky waters off a Greenpeace boat,...
Protesters Lift 'RESIST' Banner
From Crane Near White House
Jan 25, 2017 7:32 PM CST
Protesters Lift 'RESIST' Banner From Crane Near White House
'There's nothing that irritates him more than to know he's not popular'
- The morning after President Trump issued orders to delay environmental rules and restart pipeline projects, seven Greenpeace protesters climbed a 270-foot tall construction crane blocks from the White House and unfurled a massive orange and yellow banner with the word, "RESIST." The banner encouraging opposition to Trump's...
107 Nobel Laureates
Lay Off the
Jun 30, 2016 7:31 AM CDT
107 Nobel Laureates to Greenpeace: Lay Off the GMO Hate
They're safe and could save lives, say scientists
- While some companies are banning genetically modified organisms, more than a third of living Nobel laureates want Greenpeace to embrace them. A letter signed by 107 laureates stresses the potential of GMOs to solve some of the world's biggest problems, including how to increase crop yields to feed our...
Apr 1, 2016 10:29 AM CDT
Clinton Snaps at Greenpeace Activist Over Sanders' 'Lying'
'I'm so sick of the Sanders campaign lying about me'
- Hillary Clinton seemed to get genuinely angry on the campaign trail Thursday, with her anger directed squarely at the Bernie Sanders campaign. In a video from a campaign stop in Purchase, NY, Greenpeace activist Eva Resnick-Day asks Hillary Clinton if she'll "reject fossil fuel money in the future"...
Spy: Sorry I Blew Up
Sep 6, 2015 2:35 PM CDT
Spy: Sorry I Blew Up Greenpeace Ship
Jean-Luc Kister admits his role in bombing attack
- Jean-Luc Kister has a not-so-little confession to make—that as a French spy, he planted the explosives that sank a Greenpeace ship thirty years ago and took the life of a Portuguese photographer, NPR reports. "Now that emotions have subsided and also with the distance I now have from...
Fined $2,500 an
Hour for This
Jul 30, 2015 3:26 PM CDT
Greenpeace Being Fined $2,500 an Hour for This
13 protesters are dangling from an Oregon bridge to stop a ship
- Greenpeace is trying to prevent a Royal Dutch Shell icebreaker from leaving Oregon to go drill for oil in the Arctic in a most unusual—and, it now seems, expensive—way. The protesters have since yesterday been dangling from St. Johns Bridge over the Willamette River using ropes and pulleys....
It's Not Just Greenpeace
Damaging Nazca Lines
Dec 29, 2014 3:42 AM CST
It's Not Just Greenpeace Damaging Nazca Lines
Peru faces huge challenge protecting ancient sites
- A spectacularly ill-advised Greenpeace stunt did what authorities say is permanent damage to the ancient Nazca Lines, but archaeologists say the activists were just the latest in a long line of threats to Peru's heritage. Tomb raiders, developers, and illegal miners have destroyed or disturbed countless sites across the...
Dec 16, 2014 6:46 AM CST
Greenpeace Not Naming Activists Who Tarnished Ancient Site
Damage is permanent: officials
- Greenpeace is keeping mum when it comes to the identities of activists who displayed their message among the ancient Nazca Lines, leaving marks that officials call permanent. A drone investigation reveals the damage, which Peru's culture minister calls "irreparable," saying that "the apologies offered by the...
Greenpeace Sorry for
'Moral Offense' in Peru
Dec 11, 2014 10:27 AM CST
Greenpeace Sorry for 'Moral Offense' in Peru
Activists left footprints at site of sacred Nazca lines
- An organization that bills itself as an environmental watchdog can't claim it's an archaeological one after an incident in Peru that's left that country steaming. Earlier this week, 20 Greenpeace activists with a clean-energy message for officials meeting in Lima for UN climate talks spread huge yellow...
Rogue Employee Costs
Jun 17, 2014 12:06 AM CDT
Rogue Employee Costs Greenpeace $5.2M
He made bad bet on currency markets
- Greenpeace is down $5.2 million thanks to an employee who used the environmental group's cash to gamble on currency markets. The worker wasn't acting for his own gain, but his reckless move left the group with a record loss after the euro strengthened instead of weakening as...
Dec 26, 2013 12:39 PM CST
Russia Lets Greenpeace Activists Leave
7 of 30 people detained are issued visas
- Russian authorities today issued visas to seven of 30 members of a Greenpeace ship crew that allow the protesters to leave the country. The move comes after Moscow dropped criminal charges against them over a protest outside an Arctic oil rig. Greenpeace said other foreign members of the crew were...
Russia Tossing Charges Against Greenpeace Activists
Dec 24, 2013 7:09 AM CST
Russia Tossing Charges Against Greenpeace Activists
They could be home for New Year: rep
- Yesterday, Pussy Riot members left prison under Russia's new amnesty measure ; today, the country's charges against at least some Greenpeace activists are being dropped. RT reports that at least three of 30 crew members from the organization's Arctic Sunrise ship have seen charges dropped; the same will...
Putin May Free Jailed
Pussy Riot Members
Dec 10, 2013 2:36 PM CST
Putin May Free Jailed Pussy Riot Members
Planned amnesty also affects Greenpeace activists
- It looks like the two members of Pussy Riot who remain locked up in jail in Russia will be free this month. President Putin plans to release thousands of prisoners under an amnesty to mark the anniversary of the nation's post-Communist constitution of 1993, reports Reuters . Serious criminals won'...
Ugly Number: Amazon
Deforestation Up 28%
Nov 15, 2013 9:08 AM CST
Ugly Number: Amazon Deforestation Up 28%
Rise follows 4 years of decline
- A year after reporting the lowest rates of Amazon deforestation since monitoring began, Brazil has noted a big change this time around: a 28% surge in deforestation from August 2012 to this July. During that period, 2,255 square miles were destroyed, compared with 1,765 square miles during the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Only a Whirlwind Can Save Mars Lander
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Female Soldier's Promotion Ceremony Took Lewd Turn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.