Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Texas Rejects Posthumous
Pardon for George Floyd
Sep 16, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
Texas Rejects Posthumous Pardon for George Floyd
Board first voted yes, then no after Abbott's office kicked recommendation back
- Without giving a reason, Texas officials revealed their decision Thursday to not grant a posthumous pardon to George Floyd over a Houston drug conviction. The Board of Pardons and Paroles told the public defender who has represented Floyd in a letter, the Hill reports. A majority on the board opposed...
One Question on This Week's
Migrant Moves: Who's Perla?
Sep 16, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
One Question on This Week's Migrant Moves: Who's Perla?
Democrats want to know what new arrivals were told before being sent to Martha's Vineyard, DC
- Immigration re-entered the national conversation in a big way this week thanks to high-profile moves by GOP Govs. Ron DeSantis of Florida and Greg Abbott of Texas. DeSantis sent two planeloads of newly arrived migrants to Martha's Vineyard , while Abbott shipped two busloads of people to the DC residence...
Migrants Arrive at Harris' Home,
Sent From Texas By Governor
Sep 15, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Migrants Arrive at Harris' Home, Sent From Texas By Governor
Abbott says he wanted vice president to understand the border situation
- Gov. Greg Abbott escalated his standoff with the Biden administration over border crossings, dispatching two buses carrying migrants to the Washington residence of Vice President Kamala Harris. The buses dropped off about 100 people early Thursday near the main gate to the Naval Observatory, the vice president's official home,...
Abbott's Order on Migrants
Sets Up Clash With US Agencies
Jul 7, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
Abbott's Order on Migrants Sets Up Clash With US Agencies
Move puzzles Republicans and legal experts
- Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order Thursday directing the Texas National Guard and Department of Public Safety to take undocumented immigrants to the Mexican border and leave them there. The order sets up a confrontation with the federal government, which has responsibility for enforcing immigration law, the
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other
No-Shows at NRA Meeting
May 28, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
'Unlike some, I did not disappoint you,' Trump told crowd gathered in Houston on Friday
- The NRA's Houston convention went on as planned Friday, despite protests due to the deadly mass shooting on Tuesday across the state in Uvalde. And although some big names pulled out of the gun rights advocacy group's annual meeting in the 11th hour, former President Donald Trump wasn'...
Texas Governor Pulls Out
of NRA Convention
May 27, 2022 6:22 AM CDT
Texas Governor Pulls Out of NRA Convention
Abbott plans to hold press conference in Uvalde instead
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott won't be appearing at the National Rifle Association convention in Houston on Friday after all, a spokesman has confirmed. The Republican governor, who was heavily criticized for his plan to speak at the convention just days after the deadliest school shooting in state history, will...
Gunman Sent Message:
'Going to Shoot
May 25, 2022 1:51 PM CDT
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
He apparently used Facebook Messenger
- The 18-year-old gunman who murdered 19 children and two adults at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday did so with guns purchased just days prior. Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steven McCraw said a semiautomatic rifle was purchased May 17 at a local sporting goods store, with...
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts
Abbott's Press Conference
May 25, 2022 1:28 PM CDT
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
'This is on you,' Democrat says of the mass shooting
- Beto O'Rourke briefly brought a press conference by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on the Uvalde mass shooting to a dramatic halt on Wednesday. O'Rourke—a Democrat challenging the Republican Abbott for governor—accused Abbott of being weak on gun control. Watch the video here . "The time to...
19 Elementary School Students,
2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
May 24, 2022 10:08 PM CDT
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
18-year-old shooter was killed by police, Texas governor says
This file has been updated with the most up-to-date death toll and the shooter's identity.
Nineteen children and two adults were killed when a gunman walked up to an elementary school in the Texas town of Uvalde and started shooting on Tuesday, officials said. Gov. Greg Abbott identified...
Texas Might Fight Ruling That
States Must Educate All Children
May 5, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
Texas Might Fight Ruling That States Must Educate All Children
1982 Supreme Court case applied to undocumented students, as well
- Gov. Greg Abbott said Texas may fight a Supreme Court ruling mandating that public education for all children, including undocumented immigrants, be provided free by the states. Texas already sued the federal government over the cost of complying with the ruling, the Hill reports. That was a loss for the...
At US-Mexico Border, Truckers
Block Bridges in Protest
Apr 13, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
At US-Mexico Border, Truckers Block Bridges in Protest
This time it's Mexican truckers, upset over Texas governor's inspections order that's slowing traffic
- There's a new trucker protest underway, this time along the US southern border. Reuters reports that big-rig drivers from Mexico have been blocking bridges leading in and out of Texas for days, a protest against Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's recent mandate that officials carry out vehicle safety inspections...
Deputy 'Engulfed' in Blaze
Raging Across Texas
Mar 19, 2022 8:49 AM CDT
Deputy 'Engulfed' in Blaze Raging Across Texas
Deputy Sgt. Barbara Fenley died while reportedly trying to check on an elderly resident
- Fire crews in Texas hope to make progress Saturday against a massive complex of wildfires that have killed one person and burned at least 50 homes, officials said. Winds were expected to diminish on Saturday, raising hopes for the attack on the flames, said a spokesman for the task force...
Greg Abbott to
Face Off in Texas
Mar 1, 2022 8:30 PM CST
Beto O'Rourke, Greg Abbott to Face Off in Texas Governor's Race
They win their respective primaries Tuesday
- It'll be Beto O'Rourke vs. Greg Abbott in the Texas gubernatorial race. O'Rourke won the Democratic primary Tuesday—the first primary of the 2022 midterm election season—and incumbent Gov. Abbott won the Republican primary, the AP reports. O'Rourke, a former congressman, 2018 Senate candidate, and...
White House Slams 'Dangerous'
Move by Texas Governor
Feb 24, 2022 9:20 AM CST
White House Slams 'Dangerous' Move by Texas Governor
Greg Abbott wants gender-transitioning procedures investigated as child abuse
- Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday ordered Texas' child welfare agency to investigate reports of "gender-transitioning procedures" as child abuse, in a move LGBTQ advocates say will strip transgender children of their rights. Legislation to classify gender-affirming medical care as child abuse passed the state Senate but failed to pass...
Jan 30, 2022 12:10 PM CST
Trump Suggests Pardons Over Capitol Attack
Former president attacks federal, New York prosecutors at Texas event
- The people who attacked the Capitol a year ago are being treated "so unfairly" by prosecutors, former President Donald Trump told a rally in Texas before making clear that would change if he returns to the White House. "And if it requires pardons, we will give them pardons,...
George Floyd Pardon Dropped
Dec 23, 2021 6:55 PM CST
George Floyd Pardon Dropped
Abbott's office says there were errors in recommendation by Texas parole board
- The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles unanimously recommended that George Floyd, who was convicted on a drug charge in 2004 and killed by a police officer in 2020, be given a full pardon. But Thursday, when it came time for Gov. Greg Abbott to release his annual list of...
Vaccine Mandates Are Now
Completely Banned in Texas
Oct 12, 2021 12:58 AM CDT
Vaccine Mandates Are Now Completely Banned in Texas
Governor says even private companies cannot enforce such a requirement
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order Monday to prohibit any entity, including private business, from enforcing a COVID-19 vaccine mandate on workers and called on state lawmakers to pass a similar ban into law, the AP reports. The move comes as the Biden administration is set to issue...
to Deter Surge
Sep 22, 2021 6:57 AM CDT
Texas Creates 'Steel Barrier' to Deter Surge of Migrants
As thousands remain under Del Rio International Bridge
- Texas' latest move to deter the unprecedented number of migrants surging into the state: a "steel barrier" that stretches for miles. No, it's not an actual wall; as CNN explains, Texas National Guard and Texas Department of Public Safety vehicles are parked along the border, Texas Gov. Greg...
Texas Gov: 6 Weeks Is Enough
Time to Abort Rapist's Baby
Sep 8, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Texas Gov: 6 Weeks Is Enough Time to Abort Rapist's Baby
He contends rape victims won't be forced to carry a baby to term
- On Tuesday, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott defended his state's week-old abortion law, maintaining it wouldn't lead to rape victims being forced to give birth. CBS News reports that a reporter asked the Republican why he would "force" a rape victim to carry a resulting pregnancy to term....
Signed Into Law
Sep 7, 2021 3:30 PM CDT
New Texas Voting Restrictions Signed Into Law
Greg Abbott claims bill will make it easier to vote
- The day Texas Democrats fought for months to prevent is here—Gov. Greg Abbott has signed an election overhaul into law, a week after it was passed by the GOP-controlled state legislature. Abbott, who signed the bill at a ceremony in Tyler, said it would make it "easier than...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Deborrah Collier Bought Some Items Before Her Odd Death
Moans and Worse Heard Over Airline's PA System
Explosive New Book Reveals Anthony Bourdain's Final Texts
She Boasted About Killing a Wolf. It Was a Husky
Inside the Push to Regulate 'Gooning'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.