Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
4 Killed, 97 Hurt in
Mar 17, 2022 12:27 AM CDT
4 Killed, 97 Hurt in Fukushima Quake
Train partially derailed in Japan quake
- The powerful 7.4 magnitude earthquake that struck off the coast of Fukushima in northern Japan Wednesday night killed four people and injured 97, the AP reports. A small tsunami reached shore, but the low-risk advisory was lifted by Thursday morning. The region is part of northern Japan that was...
7.3 Quake Hits
Mar 16, 2022 12:31 PM CDT
7.3 Quake Hits Fukushima Area
Authorities say tsunami risk is receding, no damage found at nuclear plant
- A powerful 7.3 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Fukushima in northern Japan on Wednesday evening, triggering a tsunami advisory and plunging more than 2 million homes in the Tokyo area into darkness. The region was devastated by a deadly 9.0 quake and tsunami 11 years ago...
Clock Stopped by Earthquake
a Decade Ago Restarts
Apr 15, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
Clock Stopped by Earthquake a Decade Ago Restarts
After another earthquake in Japan
- A clock that stopped working after the catastrophic 2011 earthquake in Japan has resumed ticking a decade later—after another strong earthquake. The BBC reports that the century-old, spring-driven clock in a Buddhist temple stopped keeping time when the temple was damaged by the quake and ensuing tsunami. The temple'...
of Triple Disaster
Mar 11, 2021 4:54 AM CST
Japan Marks 10th Anniversary of Triple Disaster
More than 18K died in earthquake, tsunami
- Japan on Thursday marked the 10th anniversary of the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear disaster that hit its northeastern region, where many survivors' lives are still on hold. Carrying bouquets, many walked to the coast or visited graves to pray for relatives and friends washed away by the tsunami, the AP...
Japan Quake Is Aftershock
From Big One in 2011
Feb 15, 2021 7:31 AM CST
Japan Quake Is Aftershock From Big One in 2011
It hit Japan's Fukushima region, site of nuclear disaster 10 years ago
- Just how powerful was the 2011 earthquake that triggered a nuclear disaster in Japan? The aftershocks are still coming a decade later, reports the
. The Fukushima region got hit with a 7.1 magnitude temblor over the weekend, and Japan's Meteorological Agency is calling it an aftershock...
7 Dead, Dozens Missing
in Hokkaido Quake
Sep 6, 2018 2:41 AM CDT
7 Dead, Dozens Missing in Hokkaido Quake
6.7 quake caused landslides, blackout
- Rescuers are rushing to unearth survivors and restore power after a powerful earthquake jolted Japan's northernmost main island of Hokkaido, buckling roads, knocking homes off their foundations and causing entire hillsides to collapse. Residents in Sapporo were shaken from their beds when the magnitude 6.7 earthquake struck southern...
Rocks Japanese Island
Sep 5, 2018 7:15 PM CDT
6.6-Magnitude Quake Rocks Japanese Island
At least one person is reportedly dead as a result
- A powerful earthquake on Hokkaido Island in Japan triggered landslides that buried a "large" number of homes, a Japanese broadcaster reports, per CNN . Several aftershocks—one as powerful as 5.4 magnitude—followed the main quake, according to reports. An 82-year-old man died after he fell down the stairs...
3 Dead, Hundreds Hurt
in Strong Japan Quake
Jun 18, 2018 1:33 AM CDT
3 Dead, Hundreds Hurt in Strong Japan Quake
6.1 quake hit Osaka during morning commute
- A strong earthquake knocked over walls and set off scattered fires around metropolitan Osaka in western Japan on Monday, killing at least three people and injuring more than 300. A 9-year-old girl was killed by a falling concrete wall at her school, and the two other fatalities were men in...
Japan Discovers How to
Keep Popsicles From Melting
Aug 4, 2017 7:31 PM CDT
Japan Discovers How to Keep Popsicles From Melting
And it was completely by accident
- Eating ice cream on a hot summer's day presents something of a challenge—one must tackle the meltiest spots fast enough, before the treat becomes a mess on the ground. But this summer in Japan, people are enjoying better living through chemistry with a new type of popsicle that...
Fukushima Quake Was
Aftershock From 2011
Nov 22, 2016 12:08 AM CST
Fukushima Quake Was Aftershock From 2011
This time, there was no major tsunami damage
- All tsunami warnings and advisories have been lifted in Japan, hours after a powerful offshore earthquake triggered a series of moderate tsunami waves. The Japan Meteorological Agency warned of waves of up to 10 feet soon after the 7.4 magnitude earthquake and urged residents on sections of the Pacific...
Tsunami Expected After
Earthquake Near Fukushima
Nov 21, 2016 3:26 PM CST
Tsunami Expected After Earthquake Near Fukushima
Residents advised to flee the coast
- A tsunami warning has been issued after a 7.3 earthquake hit off of Fukushima, Japan, Monday, the AP reports. Per Reuters , residents have been advised to flee the Fukushima coast and a tsunami was expected "within minutes." The story is developing.
Shakes Western Japan
Oct 21, 2016 12:30 AM CDT
Powerful Quake Shakes Western Japan
No deaths reported after 6.6-magnitude Honshu quake
- A powerful earthquake in western Japan knocked off loose roof tiles, toppled store shelves, and caused power outages Friday afternoon, but it apparently caused no deaths or widespread damage. At least seven people were injured, one seriously, the AP reports. The Japan Meteorological Agency says the 6.6-magnitude quake occurred...
He Learned to Dive to Find His Wife's Body in the Sea
in case you missed it
Aug 7, 2016 7:37 AM CDT
He Learned to Dive to Find His Wife's Body in the Sea
Jennifer Percy on those still searching for the dead, 5 years after the tsunami
- Yasuo Takamatsu explained to his instructor why, at 56, he wanted to learn to dive. "I'm trying to find my wife in the sea." Five years after Japan was ravaged by a 9.0-magnitude earthquake and subsequent tsunami , Jennifer Percy tells an incredible story in the
Mystery Foam Strikes
Japanese City After Quakes
Apr 17, 2016 2:05 PM CDT
Mystery Foam Strikes Japanese City After Quakes
One tweeter in Fukuoka calls it "disgusting"
- A mysterious foam spread through the streets of a Japanese city on Saturday after two earthquakes struck the country , killing dozens of people, Mashable reports. With pedestrians and drivers in Fukuoka moving through the muck, people posted images of it on Twitter ( here and here ). One called it...
Death Toll Soars
in Japan Quakes
Apr 16, 2016 7:48 AM CDT
Death Toll Soars in Japan Quakes
Mudslides threaten to add to misery
- Army troops and other rescuers rushed Saturday to save scores of trapped residents after a pair of strong earthquakes in southwestern Japan killed at least 41 people, injured about 1,500, and left hundreds of thousands without electricity or water. Rainfall is forecast to start pounding the area soon, threatening...
People Trapped After 2nd
Huge Quake Hits Japan
Apr 15, 2016 1:28 PM CDT
People Trapped After 2nd Huge Quake Hits Japan
Thursday's quake was technically a foreshock to this one
- A powerful earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.1 struck southern Japan early Saturday, barely 24 hours after a smaller quake hit the same region and killed nine people , the AP reports. While it was not immediately clear whether the latest quake increased the death toll, Japanese broadcaster NHK...
Deadly Quake Hits
Apr 15, 2016 12:27 AM CDT
Deadly Quake Hits Southern Japan
At least 9 dead, hundreds injured in Kyushu
- At least nine people have been killed and more than 800 injured by a magnitude-6.5 earthquake that toppled houses and buckled roads in southern Japan late Thursday, the AP reports. With daybreak, the extent of the damage became apparent: collapsed buildings, streets warped by manholes pushed higher by the...
Japan Prays on
Mar 11, 2016 1:00 AM CST
Japan Prays on 5th Anniversary of Tsunami
Parts of ravaged coast are coming back to life
- Japanese gathered in Tokyo and along the country's ravaged northeast coast to observe a moment of silence at 2:46pm Friday, exactly five years after a magnitude-9.0 earthquake struck offshore and triggered a devastating tsunami that killed more than 18,000 people. Some teared up as they held...
Tsunami Warning After 7.0
Earthquake Hits Japan
Nov 13, 2015 4:08 PM CST
Tsunami Warning After 7.0 Earthquake Hits Japan
Tsunamis of up to 3 feet could hit
- A tsunami advisory was issued for parts of southern Japan on Saturday after a magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck off the coast of the island of Kyushu. The Japan Meteorological Agency said tsunamis of up to 3 feet could hit the coast of Kagoshima prefecture on Kyushu and small islands...
At Least 22 Hurt
Nov 22, 2014 4:45 PM CST
Japan Earthquake Collapses Homes; At Least 22 Hurt
Disaster strikes area of 1998 Olympics
- A strong earthquake has struck a mountainous area of central Japan that hosted the 1998 winter Olympics, knocking down at least 10 homes in a ski resort town and injuring more than 20 people, officials say. The magnitude-6.8 earthquake hit near Nagano city shortly after 10 pm at a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.