Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Xi to China's Women: Time
for a 'New Trend of Family'
Oct 31, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Xi to China's Women: Time for a 'New Trend of Family'
Leader's speech to state-run women's rights group urges women to focus on 'family harmony'
- It's not enough for women to work on their own development, according to Chinese President Xi Jinping, who said Monday that women must also strive toward "family harmony, social harmony, national development, and national progress," in large part by having children. He urged women to establish a...
Japan Hits a
Sep 19, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Japan Hits a Gray Milestone
Nation clocks in with more than 10% of population over age 80 for first time
- It is very, very common knowledge that the median age of Japan's population is, well, not associated with the term "spring chicken." With what the BBC reports is the planet's oldest population—the yardstick there being the percentage of people 65 or older, of which Japan...
In China, an Unusual Tactic
to Boost Young Marriage
Sep 2, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
In China, an Unusual Tactic to Boost Young Marriage
One region is bestowing cash for brides under 25
- Officials in one part of China are urging people to get married at a young age, with cash as an incentive. Couples who marry in Zhejiang province's Changshan County when the bride is 25 or younger will receive a $137 cash bonus, the county announced last week, noting the...
I Told Off
May 12, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Pope Francis: I Told Off Woman With Dog
Pontiff warns against pets replacing kids amid Italy's demographic crisis
- In numerous countries in the EU, birth rates are declining, including in Italy, which could lose nearly 20% of its residents by 2050. Those stats are apparently putting Pope Francis on edge, enough to spur him to warn Italian citizens not to let their anxieties about the future keep them...
We Haven't Seen This on
the Birth Front for 7 Years
May 24, 2022 8:44 AM CDT
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
There was a 1% increase in number of births in 2021—the first rise since 2014, per CDC report
- For the first time in seven years, the US birth rate has risen—meaning predictions that the pandemic would have a more significant impact on becoming a parent went slightly off course. Americans welcomed to the world 3.66 million babies in 2021, up 1% from the previous year, according...
Median Age for
in US Hits
May 9, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
Median Age for Giving Birth in US Hits Record High
It's now 30, according to US Census Bureau
- For Allyson Jacobs, life in her 20s and 30s was about focusing on her career in health care and enjoying the social scene in New York City. It wasn't until she turned 40 that she and her husband started trying to have children. They had a son when she...
2 Bleak Firsts
for the Population
Sep 20, 2021 9:29 AM CDT
In Alabama, 2 Bleak Firsts for the Population
In 2020, more deaths than births in the state, and the most total deaths ever in one year
- Dr. Scott Harris, Alabama's chief health officer, recently asked his staff to pore over state mortality records, and his crew came back to him with two sobering numbers. In 2020, for the first time since the early 1900s, Alabama had more deaths than births, Harris announced Wednesday at a...
Drop in US Birth
Rate Could Lead
May 5, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
Drop in US Birth Rate Could Lead to 'Demographic Time Bomb'
Birth rates have fallen for the 6th year in a row, and pandemic may be helping that trend along
- For the sixth year in a row, birth rates in the US have fallen, and, combined with a slowing down of immigration and an increasing number of deaths, it all points to a "shifting demographic picture" in America, reports the
New York Times
. CDC data released Wednesday shows there...
Baby Boom? Instead, We're
Getting a Pandemic Baby Bust
Mar 4, 2021 2:17 PM CST
Baby Boom? Instead, We're Getting a Pandemic Baby Bust
Birthrate in US is falling sharply
- In the early days of the pandemic, with people confined to their homes, it wasn't unusual to hear predictions of an impending baby boom. But in an op-ed at the
New York Times
, two economics professors say the opposite is happening. The US is facing a "baby bust,...
This Country Just Saw Its
First-Ever Population Drop
Jan 4, 2021 10:25 AM CST
This Country Just Saw Its First-Ever Population Drop
South Korea had more deaths than births in 2020, and the pandemic likely made things worse
- For the first time ever, South Korea's population has seen a downturn, with the decline likely exacerbated by the pandemic. Census figures reported by Yonhap show a count of 51,829,023 at year's end, a nearly 21,000 drop from 2019, per the
. The population had...
In China, a 'Slow, Painful,
Jun 29, 2020 9:01 AM CDT
In China, a 'Slow, Painful, Creeping Genocide'
AP report: Country is systematically forcing birth control on Uighurs to cut down Muslim population
- The Chinese government is taking draconian measures to slash birth rates among Uighurs and other minorities as part of a sweeping campaign to curb its Muslim population, even as it encourages some of the country's Han majority to have more children. While individual women have spoken out before about...
With New CDC Stat, a
US 'Baby Bust' Continues
May 20, 2020 8:24 AM CDT
With New CDC Stat, a US 'Baby Bust' Continues
Births in America fell about 1% from 2018, leading to fewest number of newborns in 35 years
- US births continued to fall last year, leading to the fewest number of newborns in 35 years. The decline is the latest sign of a prolonged national "baby bust" that's been going on for more than a decade, the AP notes. Some experts believe the coronavirus pandemic and...
New Stat Hints at
Jan 17, 2020 9:42 AM CST
New Stat Hints at a 'Demographic Time Bomb'
Low birth rate, low death rate in China has researchers, economists there worried
- There's a "looming crisis" brewing in China, one the
New York Times
says could eventually have a "seismic effect." Per the country's National Bureau of Statistics, about 14.6 million babies were born there last year, an almost 4% drop from 2018. It's the...
Another Drop in Fertility Rate
Suggests Deep Social Change
Nov 27, 2019 7:47 AM CST
Another Drop in Fertility Rate Suggests Deep Social Change
Births increased among women in late 30s, early 40s
- The US fertility rate fell for a fourth year in a row in 2018 to the lowest level in about three decades. The 3,791,712 births—59.1 for every 1,000 women of childbearing age—was down 2% from 2017 and 15% from 2007, according to data out...
Sep 5, 2019 12:52 PM CDT
At Confirmation Hearing, Woman Chastised for Being Childless
Critics are blasting remarks of S. Korea's Jeong Kab-yoon to female economics professor
- A renowned economics professor in South Korea is the first female nominated to head up the country's fair-trade commission, but even though she seems to have the professional credentials, one politician says she's got one big gap that makes her nomination iffy: She's single and childless. "...
Fertility Rate in the US
Hits Record Low
May 17, 2018 7:19 PM CDT
Fertility Rate in the US Hits Record Low
The continuing downward trend could have long-term consequences
- Although you wouldn't know it from the constant barrage of pregnant celebrity pics on social media, the fertility rate in the US—the number of births per 1,000 women ages 15 to 44—fell to 60 last year, its lowest level since the government started tracking the figure...
Birth Rate Has
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 2, 2017 2:00 PM CDT
All-Time Low Birth Rate Has Some Fearing 'National Emergency'
The US birth rate is now 62 births per 1,000 women
- Some experts worry the US is heading for disaster due to a baby shortage, the
reports. According to 2016 data released Friday by the CDC, the number of women giving birth in the US is down 1% from 2015 and at a historic low. The birth rate is...
Nearly Half Japan's
Millennials Are Virgins
Sep 21, 2016 1:13 PM CDT
Nearly Half Japan's Millennials Are Virgins
A large number of 18- to 34-year-olds aren't just not having sex, they've never had it
- While America might more typically worry about what its youth are doing, Japan spends a lot of time worrying about what they're
doing , and what they're not doing is having sex—at all, apparently. A new government survey suggests that the country's millennials are not only...
Life Is Deadlier for
Americans for the
1st Time in 10 Years
Jun 4, 2016 2:15 PM CDT
Life Is Deadlier for Americans for the 1st Time in 10 Years
And we're making fewer new Americans to boot
- Life was slightly deadlier for Americans in 2015 than it was in 2014. CNN reports the death rate for the US in 2015 was 729.5 deaths per 100,000 people. That's up from 723.2 deaths per 100,000 people in 2014. Those rates have been adjusted to...
After 7-Year Slide,
US Birth Rate Rebounds
Jun 17, 2015 10:06 AM CDT
After 7-Year Slide, US Birth Rate Rebounds
As teen birth rate hits historic low, falling 9%
- American women are having more babies after years of holding off since the beginning of the recession in 2007. The US birth rate saw a small 1% jump from 2013 to 2014, with 3.98 million births—the highest number since 2010,
reports. The CDC data shows older...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.