Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Juul to Pay $438.5M to
Settle Teen Vaping Probe
Sep 6, 2022 3:20 PM CDT
Juul to Pay $438.5M to Settle Teen Vaping Probe
33 states were investigating the marketing of its high-nicotine vaping products
- Electronic cigarette maker Juul Labs has agreed to pay nearly $440 million to settle a two-year investigation by 33 states into the marketing of its high-nicotine vaping products, which have long been blamed for sparking a national surge in teen vaping. Connecticut Attorney General William Tong announced the deal Tuesday...
Have to Pull
Its E-Cigs Yet
Jul 6, 2022 12:29 AM CDT
Juul Actually Doesn't Have to Pull Its E-Cigs Yet
FDA temporarily suspends its order banning the products
- The Food and Drug Administration issued an administrative stay Tuesday on the order it issued last month for vaping company Juul to pull its electronic cigarettes from the market. The agency said on Twitter that the stay temporarily suspends the marketing denial order while it conducts further review, but does...
FDA to Juul: Pull Your
E-Cigs Off the Market
Jun 23, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
FDA to Juul: Pull Your E-Cigs Off the Market
Decision is a major blow to the vaping company
This summary has been updated to reflect the FDA decision.
The FDA on Thursday ordered Juul to take its e-cigs and other products off the market in the US, reports the
New York Times
, which describes it as a "profoundly damaging blow" to the company. The agency found...
A Big First for FDA
Oct 13, 2021 2:19 AM CDT
A Big First for FDA on E-Cigarettes
Agency authorizes one to stay on the market
- For the first time, the Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday authorized an electronic cigarette, saying the vaping device from RJ Reynolds can help smokers cut back on conventional cigarettes. E-cigarettes have been sold in the US for more than a decade with minimal government oversight or research. Facing a...
at Home, Teen
Sep 30, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
With Students at Home, Teen Vaping Plunges
The question is whether rates will climb as schools reopen
- Teen vaping plummeted in the US this year as many students were forced to learn from home during the pandemic, according to a government report released Thursday. Health officials urged caution in interpreting the numbers, which were collected through an online questionnaire for the first time, the AP reports. But...
Aug 23, 2021 7:55 PM CDT
FDA Decisions Near on E-Cigarettes
Agency has deadline next month for approving companies' product applications
- E-cigarette manufacturers soon will learn whether they're out of business, still in the market but facing new government controls, or back in in a big way. The companies were given a choice last year: pull their vaping products or seek Food and Drug Administration approval for them. More than...
Ahead of Major Trial,
an E-Cig Maker Settles
Jun 28, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Ahead of Major Trial, an E-Cig Maker Settles
Juul will pay North Carolina $40M over allegations it went after teens in ads
- Remember when Juul was everywhere, and all the kids thought it was cool? So does the state of North Carolina, which sued the vape pod company in 2019. Now, Juul has agreed to pay $40 million over six years to settle that lawsuit just before it was set to go...
Another Risk Factor
for COVID: Vaping
Aug 12, 2020 3:25 PM CDT
Another Risk Factor for COVID: Vaping
Young people's survey answers show smoking makes them much more vulnerable to virus
- Researchers were not surprised when a survey showed that using e-cigarettes puts young people at greater risk from COVID-19. But they weren't prepared for the depth of the risk they found. Vapers age 13-24 were five times as likely to test positive for the coronavirus, Stanford University researchers say....
U-Haul to Stop Hiring Smokers
Jan 2, 2020 3:29 PM CST
U-Haul to Stop Hiring Smokers
Company will stop interviewing, hiring anyone who uses nicotine
- U-Haul International has announced plans to stop interviewing and hiring nicotine users, including people who use e-cigarettes and vaping products, the AP reports. The well-known truck and trailer rental company approved the nicotine-free policy set to go into effect Feb. 1 in more than 20 states where the company operates,...
New Strategy on
Jan 2, 2020 12:37 AM CST
Trump Promises New Strategy on Underage Vaping
Flavor may be removed from market temporarily
- President Trump says the federal government will soon announce a new strategy to tackle underage vaping, promising, "We're going to protect our families, we’re going to protect our children, and we’re going to protect the industry." Trump was vague about what the plan would entail...
Minnesota Is Suing Juul
Dec 5, 2019 12:02 AM CST
Minnesota Is Suing Juul
'They have deceived and misled Minnesota consumers of all ages'
- Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison sued Juul Labs on Wednesday, accusing the e-cigarette maker of unlawfully targeting young people with its products to get a new generation addicted to nicotine. The lawsuit filed in Hennepin County District Court in Minneapolis seeks to force Juul to stop marketing to young people;...
Health Official Marks
Grim Vaping Record
Dec 4, 2019 6:00 PM CST
Health Official Marks Grim Vaping Record
Alaska reports its first case of vaping-related health problems
- Now, it's nationwide. Alaska announced Tuesday its first case of vaping-related lung injury—making it the 50th state to do so, CNN reports. "We are fortunate that we haven't identified" such a case "in Alaska until now, but it's not surprising that we have joined...
After Dozens of Deaths,
Apple Nixes 181 Apps
Nov 15, 2019 11:28 AM CST
After Dozens of Deaths, Apple Nixes 181 Apps
You won't find vaping-related products on the App Store anymore
- Don't bother with Apple for your vaping-related apps: Axios reports the company is removing all 181 apps related to e-cigarettes and vaping from its App Store. "We take great care to curate the App Store as a trusted place for customers, particularly youth, to download apps," Apple...
Lung Transplant Surgeon:
Vaping Damage Is 'Evil
I Haven't Faced Before'
Nov 13, 2019 3:35 AM CST
Lung Transplant Surgeon: Vaping Damage Is 'Evil I Haven't Faced Before'
17-year-old patient received double transplant
- After he led a team that successfully performed a double lung transplant on a teenager, a doctor at Detroit's Henry Ford Hospital said he was shocked by what vaping had done to the young man. "What I saw in his lungs is nothing that I have ever seen...
After Troublesome Year,
Juul Makes a 'Right-Size' Move
Nov 12, 2019 11:22 AM CST
After Troublesome Year, Juul Makes a 'Right-Size' Move
E-cigarette maker will slash 16% of its workforce, per a company official
- Due to the public's "lack of trust" in the vaping industry, Juul cut four of its fruit- and dessert-flavored products last month. Now, confirming rumors from last month, the e-cigarette maker says it will cut 650 jobs, or about 16% of its workforce, reports the
Wall Street Journal
Man With Lungs Wrecked by
Vaping Gets Double Transplant
Nov 12, 2019 4:20 AM CST
Man With Lungs Wrecked by Vaping Gets Double Transplant
Detroit hospital says this is a first
- A man whose lungs were damaged beyond repair by vaping has undergone a double lung transplant at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. The hospital says it believes it is the first in the country to perform the procedure on a patient harmed by vaping,
Detroit Free Press
reports. The hospital...
After New Study,
No More Mint
Nov 7, 2019 5:30 PM CST
After New Study, No More Mint
Juul will sell only menthol and tobacco flavors
- Juul Labs said Thursday it will halt US sales of its best-selling, mint-flavored electronic cigarettes as it struggles to survive a nationwide backlash against vaping. The voluntary step comes days after new government research showed that Juul is the top brand among high schoolers who use e-cigarettes and that many...
Ex-Juul Official Makes
Huge Claim in Lawsuit
Oct 30, 2019 7:00 PM CDT
Ex-Juul Official Makes Huge Claim in Lawsuit
Siddharth Breja says the company sold a million contaminated nicotine pods
- Looks like Juul's lawyers won't be sleeping much tonight. A former executive at the e-cigarette company says Juul sold a million contaminated nicotine pods and fired him for complaining about it, BuzzFeed reports. Siddharth Breja, ex-senior vice president for global finance, made the allegations in a Tuesday lawsuit...
Bending to Pressure,
Juul Cuts 4 Products
Oct 17, 2019 3:47 PM CDT
Bending to Pressure, Juul Cuts 4 Products
The e-cigarette brand responds to people's 'lack of trust' in the industry
- Juul Labs stopped selling fruit and dessert flavors Thursday, acknowledging the public's "lack of trust" in the vaping industry, the AP reports. The voluntary step is the company's latest attempt to weather a growing political backlash blaming its flavored-nicotine products for hooking a generation of teenagers on...
More Retailers to Stop
Sales of E-Cigarettes
Oct 7, 2019 6:32 PM CDT
More Retailers to Stop Sales of E-Cigarettes
Kroger, Walgreen cite regulatory uncertainty
- Two major retailers say they will no longer sell e-cigarettes in the US amid mounting health questions surrounding vaping. Supermarket chain Kroger and drugstore chain Walgreen announced Monday they would discontinue sales of e-cigarettes at their stores nationwide, citing an uncertain regulatory environment, the AP reports. The vaping industry has...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.