Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Just Hit a Milestone
Nov 15, 2022 6:42 AM CST
World Population Just Hit a Milestone
It's estimated to top 8B for the first time on Tuesday
- You are now one of 8 billion people on the planet, according to UN estimates. The organization calculates the world population will cross the 8 billion mark on Nov. 15, though it admits it could be off as counting every single person on the planet is nearly impossible. Regardless, the...
UN Forecasts a Population
Milestone in 2050
Sep 2, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
UN Forecasts a Population Milestone in 2050
It projects an approximately equal number of men and women by that year
- Viewed solely in terms of population numbers, it's long been a man's world. Last year, for example, men outnumbered women worldwide by 44 million, notes the Pew Research Center . However, a new UN projection sees the gap narrowing relatively quickly, and it forecasts a roughly equal number of...
Big Shifts Are Close
for World's Population
Jul 11, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Big Shifts Are Close for World's Population
UN projects we'll hit 8B in months, with India on track to overtake China as No. 1 next year
- A new UN report on Monday—aka World Population Day—sees some major milestones on the horizon, including a pending shift for the title of most populous nation. Some of the nuggets highlighted, including in coverage at Quartz and the Hindu :
The world's population is expected to reach
Here's How Much the
World Grew in the Past Year
Dec 31, 2021 12:06 AM CST
Here's How Much the World Grew in the Past Year
By 74M people, according to US Census Bureau
- The world’s population is projected to be 7.8 billion people on New Year’s Day 2022, according to the US Census Bureau. That represents an increase of 74 million people, or a 0.9% growth rate from New Year’s Day 2021, the AP reports. Starting in the...
Will Have More People
Than US by 2050
Jul 16, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
Texas-Sized Nigeria Will Have More People Than US by 2050
And it might overtake China in another century
- The UN's new population forecast for the world has some eye-popping figures, especially about Africa in general and Nigeria in particular. Its charts show that Nigeria, about the size of Texas, will surpass the entire US in population by 2050, reports the
. By 2100, it is expected to...
7B People Isn't as
Terrifying as It Sounds
Oct 31, 2011 11:42 AM CDT
7B People Isn't as Terrifying as It Sounds
Food production has soared alongside population: David Lam
- Halloween may seem the perfect day for the world population to reach 7 billion —after all, it’s a terrifying milestone, right? Wrong, writes economist David Lam, president of the Population Association of America, in the
Los Angeles Times
. “The parents of the 7-billionth person should not be...
Meet Baby No. 7 Billion
Oct 31, 2011 7:56 AM CDT
Meet Baby No. 7 Billion
UN, activists pick representatives for population landmark
- The world’s 7 billionth baby has been born, and a number of infants are vying for the title. The UN has chosen Danica May Camacho—born in Manila, Philippines, just before midnight—as its symbolic No. 7 billion, the
reports. UN officials offered Danica’s family a cake...
Oct 27, 2011 1:57 PM CDT
Earth Has 7B People: Calculate
BBC provides a calculator
- Planet Earth is going to get its 7 billionth person in coming days, and the BBC marks the occasion with a calculator that estimates what your number is in that mass of humanity. You plug in your birth date, and it computes the figure, along with how many people came...
A Challenge From a Planet
About to House 7B People
Oct 24, 2011 11:07 AM CDT
A Challenge From a Planet About to House 7B People
Time to change the way we think about prosperity: Joel Cohen
- The world’s population is set to hit 7 billion within a week, according to UN estimates, and we’re looking at 10 billion people by century’s end. And that raises a new challenge for Westerners, who must must "shake off, at last, the view that large and...
World's 7 Billionth Person
Arrives by Halloween
Oct 17, 2011 8:15 AM CDT
World's 7 Billionth Person Arrives by Halloween
UN says new projection is a call to action
- By the time you’re out trick-or-treating on Halloween, the planet will have marked an important milestone: As predicted, the world’s 7 billionth person will arrive this year , by Oct. 31, according to the UN Population Fund. It predicts that we’ll hit 8 billion just 14 more years...
Will Break 10B
May 3, 2011 3:33 PM CDT
World Population Will Break 10B by 2100
UN fears 'serious implications' for poorest countries
- The world’s population will hit 9.3 billion by 2050 and 10.1 billion by 2100, UN experts say. It’s set to reach 7 billion by the end of this year. The UN uses the figures, which depend on fertility expectations, to set up programs to address issues...
Popular on Newser
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Irish Court to Elon Musk: No, You Can't Fire This Exec
Late Surge May Make This the 'Emoji of the Year'
Huge Fatal Landslide Blamed on Ill-Advised Development
Maine Objects to Decision by Whole Foods on Lobster
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.