Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Jun 16, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Saudi Arabia Cracks Down on Rainbows
Authorities seize toys, children's clothes
- While other countries celebrate Pride Month, Saudi Arabia has launched a crackdown on rainbows. The state-run al- Ekhbariya news channel reported this week that authorities in Riyadh had raided stores and confiscated rainbow-colored toys and children's clothing. The items "contradict the Islamic faith and public morals and promote...
There Are Reasons
Hawaii Is the Best
Place for Rainbows
Mar 28, 2021 12:01 PM CDT
There Are Reasons Hawaii Is the Best Place for Rainbows
Atmospheric scientist counts the right mix of factors beyond light and water
- "Can you imagine a rainbow that lasts seven hours?" asked Steven Businger, an atmospheric scientist at the University of Hawaii. "It's really fun." He makes the case that Hawaii is the best place to chase rainbows, Science Friday reports, because of its mix of clean air,...
Cream Is Gay
Jul 7, 2020 11:28 AM CDT
Putin Ally: Rainbow Ice Cream Is Gay Propaganda
Head of Russia's Union of Women implies harmful effect on children
- A newspaper has jokingly suggested that rainbows be banned in Russia after President Vladimir Putin heard complaints about one featured on ice cream packaging. Yekaterina Lakhova, a former MP and the current head of Russia's Union of Women, likened the image to gay propaganda during a Friday video conference...
Found in China: Dino
With a 'Rainbow Glimmer'
Jan 15, 2018 9:01 AM CST
Found in China: Dino With a 'Rainbow Glimmer'
Jurassic Period's 'Caihong juji' had shimmering feathers like those found on hummingbirds
- Scientists are now saying there may have been "a more colorful Jurassic World than we previously imagined," thanks to the recent discovery of a fossil in China's Hebei province. Reuters reports that a closer look at the "exquisitely preserved," almost completely intact fossil of a...
White Rainbows Frequent
Only 2 Places in the World
Jan 2, 2017 9:09 AM CST
White Rainbows Frequent Only 2 Places in the World
Zambia and Kentucky boast monthly displays
- Waterfalls are among the most reliable places to catch a rainbow, but only two on the planet offer up a regular display of its close cousin, the moonbow: Cumberland Falls in Kentucky and Victoria Falls on the Zambia-Zimbabwe border. Also called a white rainbow, a moonbow appears when moonlight (which...
Rainbows Are Way
Than We Thought
Dec 18, 2015 6:09 PM CST
Rainbows Are Way More Complicated Than We Thought
Some don't even have all the colors of the rainbow
- How long have you spent thinking about rainbows—like really thinking about them?
reports atmospheric scientists Jean Ricard has spent enough time thinking about rainbows to develop a new rainbow classification system, which he presented Friday at an American Geophysical Union meeting. According to the presentation , Ricard created...
Did the Grateful Dead
Conjure Up a Rainbow?
Jun 29, 2015 3:33 AM CDT
Did the Grateful Dead Conjure Up a Rainbow?
Some suspect moving sight at farewell gig was man-made
- Even without Jerry Garcia, the Grateful Dead's power to put on an amazing show isn't in doubt—but the group's ability to conjure up rainbows is being hotly debated. As the band played "Viola Lee Blues" on Saturday to end the first of two sets, a...
Catholic School Bans Rainbows
Jun 8, 2011 7:00 AM CDT
Catholic School Bans Rainbows
...at an anti-homophobia event
- One Canadian Catholic school went a step further than banning the word gay : It banned rainbows at a recent anti-homophobia event. “We brought signs and posters with rainbows, and we were told that we can’t put them up,” the founder of St. Joseph Catholic Secondary School’s...
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
John Cornyn's Brown v. Board of Education Tweet Causes Uproar
As House Burned, Georgia Mother Allegedly Killed 3 of Her Kids
AP Sees a 'Political Shift' That Should Scare Democrats
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.