Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 4, 2021 6:55 PM CDT
US Sues Texas Over New Voting Law
Legislation affects rights of disabled voters, members of military, filing says
- Although Gov. Greg Abbott said a new voting law would make it " easier than ever " for Texans to cast a ballot, the Justice Department filed suit Thursday arguing that the legislation would instead disenfranchise various groups of eligible voters. The law makes many changes, but the suit emphasizes...
Sep 27, 2021 7:12 PM CDT
California Makes Mail-In Voting Law
Pandemic experiment will be the new normal
- Until recently, only a handful of states have automatic mail-in ballot systems. Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Utah, Colorado, and Nevada, and DC use the system, and Vermont does, too, in general elections. California is the newest member of the club, since Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill Monday making California’s...
Texas House Passes
Aug 27, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
Texas House Passes Election Overhaul
With Democrats back, voting restrictions go to Senate for final OK
- With the Texas House back in business, Republicans pushed a broad election overhaul through on Friday and sent it to the Senate. The legislation already cleared the Senate but had to go back to reconcile minor differences between the two versions. The package then will go to Gov. Greg Abbott,...
Return to Give
Texas a Quorum
Aug 19, 2021 7:25 PM CDT
Enough Democrats Return to Give Texas a Quorum
Voting restrictions legislation now is back in play in state House
- For the first time since July, the Texas House had a quorum on Thursday, after a few Democrats returned from their stay in Washington. Democratic members had left the state to prevent the Republican-controlled House from passing election legislation that Democrats say would restrict participation. The end of the stalemate,...
Texas House Speaker Signs
52 Arrest Warrants for Dems
Aug 11, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
Texas House Speaker Signs 52 Arrest Warrants for Dems
Following state Supreme Court ruling overturning restraining order on arrests, 80-12 vote in House
- On Tuesday, the Texas Supreme Court overturned a district court's restraining order that blocked the arrest of Democrats in the state's House of Representatives who fled Texas last month for DC to break quorum and keep the chamber from voting on restrictive voting bills. The all-Republican high court...
5 Texas Lawmakers Who
Left the State Get COVID
Jul 19, 2021 3:34 AM CDT
5 Texas Lawmakers Who Left the State Get COVID
Democrats were pictured maskless on plane
- Two more Texas lawmakers who left their state to hobble efforts to pass new voting restrictions have tested positive for the coronavirus, raising to five the number of infected people in the delegation, the AP reports. State Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer of San Antonio said in a statement Sunday that...
Biden Slams Trump's 'Big Lie'
Jul 13, 2021 4:48 PM CDT
Biden Slams Trump's 'Big Lie'
President delivers address on voting rights
- "We’re facing the most significant test of our democracy since the Civil War," President Biden warned in a speech to supporters in Philadelphia Tuesday. The president, speaking at the National Constitution Center, spoke out against GOP-led efforts to restrict voting rights, linking them to Donald Trump's...
Texas Governor on Lawmakers:
'They Will Be Arrested'
Jul 13, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Texas Governor on Lawmakers: 'They Will Be Arrested'
Greg Abbott criticizes Democrats who fled state to block new voting laws
- The national debate over voting laws is very much in the spotlight again Tuesday, and not only because President Biden plans to address the topic in a speech in Philadelphia . Democratic lawmakers in Texas remained holed up in DC after fleeing the state to prevent new restrictions from going into...
Supreme Court Hands GOP
a Win Over Voting Laws
Jul 1, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Supreme Court Hands GOP a Win Over Voting Laws
Justices uphold restrictions put in place in Arizona
- The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld voting restrictions in Arizona in a decision that could make it harder to challenge other voting measures put in place by Republican lawmakers, per the AP . The court, by a 6-3 vote, reversed a lower court ruling in deciding that Arizona's limits on...
Justice Department Sues
Georgia Over Voting Laws
Jun 25, 2021 10:32 AM CDT
Justice Department Sues Georgia Over Voting Laws
Merrick Garland is looking at new laws around the US
- The Justice Department is suing Georgia over the state's voting laws , per the AP . The decision, to be announced later Friday by Attorney General Merrick Garland, comes two weeks after Garland said the Justice Department would scrutinize a wave of new laws in Republican-controlled states that tighten voting rules....
Jun 18, 2021 7:32 AM CDT
McConnell Responds to Manchin's Voting Law Pitch
Senate minority leader says 'plan endorsed by Stacey Abrams is no compromise'
- On Thursday, Sen. Joe Manchin offered up a long list of reforms to proposed voting rights legislation that he hoped would appeal to both Democrats and Republicans. But by later that day, the GOP made clear the compromise effort wasn't drawing them in. Per Axios , Senate Minority Leader Mitch...
Joe Manchin's Big Move
on Voting Law
Jun 17, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Joe Manchin's Big Move on Voting Law
Democratic senator floats a compromise ahead of next week's vote
- Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia earned the wrath of fellow Democrats earlier this month when he announced that he wouldn't back a major election-reform law. Now, ahead of next week's vote, Manchin has put a compromise in play. Coverage:
Manchin released a lengthy list of reforms he
DeSantis Signs Voter Law,
Allows Only Fox News to Cover
May 6, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
DeSantis Signs Voter Law, Allows Only Fox News to Cover
In lawsuit, critics say rules are designed to curb voting by minorities
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday signed a sweeping elections bill into law that voter rights advocates immediately challenged with a federal lawsuit. The Republican governor signed the freshly passed legislation ahead of his impending announcement that he'll run for reelection in the nation's largest battleground state, per...
When Criticizing Georgia,
Biden Told a 'Whopper'
Mar 30, 2021 1:52 PM CDT
When Criticizing Georgia, Biden Told a 'Whopper'
State isn't restricting voting hours, writes Glenn Kessler, no matter what the president says
- A president spreading tall tales about an election? The Fact Checker blog of the
says it's happening, and in this case the president is Joe Biden. The blog by Glenn Kessler gives Biden a four-Pinocchio rating—that translates to "whopper"—for statements he made about...
Judge Tells Wisconsin
to Take 230K Off
Dec 15, 2019 11:15 AM CST
Judge Tells Wisconsin to Take 230K Off Voting Rolls
Ruling could hurt Democrats' efforts to carry the state next year
- Wisconsin has been ordered to remove about 234,000 names from its list of registered voters. A judge made the ruling Friday in a lawsuit brought by conservatives who argued that the state should have voided the registrations of people who did not respond within 30 days to a letter...
Judge Spikes Pennsylvania Voter ID Requirement
Jan 17, 2014 10:40 AM CST
Judge Spikes Pennsylvania Voter ID Requirement
Issue likely headed to state Supreme Court
- A nearly 2-year-old requirement that almost all of Pennsylvania's 8.2 million voters must show photo identification before casting a ballot was struck down today by a state judge, setting the stage for a courtroom showdown before the state's highest court. Commonwealth Court Judge Bernard L. McGinley, a...
NC Voter ID
Law Runs Into
Sep 30, 2013 7:14 AM CDT
NC Voter ID Law Runs Into Roadblock: the DOJ
Eric Holder to announce lawsuit today: source
- North Carolina passed a controversial voter ID law in July, but if the Department of Justice has its way, the law—said to be the most sweeping of its kind in the nation—may never be enforced. The DOJ will file suit against the state today, a source tells Politico...
at Texas Over
Jul 25, 2013 11:57 AM CDT
DoJ Fires Opening Salvo at Texas Over Voting Laws
Eric Holder wants state subjected to 'preclearance'
- The Justice Department has made its first move since the Supreme Court struck down a key portion of the Voting Rights Act : Eric Holder said today that the department wants to require Texas to get federal permission before making any changes to voting rules . A motion asking a court to...
It's July 1: Hundreds
of New Laws Go Live
Jul 1, 2013 7:36 AM CDT
It's July 1: Hundreds of New Laws Go Live
On everything from drones to tanning to Election Day drinking, and more
- The Jersey Shore is about to get a little paler. As of today, minors in the state won't be allowed to use tanning beds—and anyone under age 14 won't even be able to get a spray tan there. It's July 1, the day hundreds of of...
Feb 12, 2013 7:37 AM CST
SOTU Guests: Ted Nugent, Mohawk Guy
A look at who will be attending tonight's State of the Union address
- Who will be sitting in the audience when President Obama gives his State of the Union address tonight? Well, not everyone will be a fan:
Ted Nugent will be there as a guest of Rep. Steve Stockman, Talking Points Memo reports. Nugent wants to "counter the scams and lies
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
CNN Fires Chris Cuomo, Citing New Information
FBI: Images Show Dark Truth About Renowned Collector
Mother Chases Down Leopard To Rescue Son
Diabetics' Quest for This 7% Target 'Could Kill Them'
She Feared Her Partner Would Kill Her. Death Came Differently
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.