Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
District Puts AR-15s in Schools
Aug 6, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
District Puts AR-15s in Schools
North Carolina sheriff cites Uvalde shooting delays for new policy
- A North Carolina sheriff said he's taking a lesson from the school shooting in Uvalde, Texas. "Those officers were in that building for so long , and that suspect was able to infiltrate that building and injure and kill so many kids," Madison County Sheriff Buddy Harwood said....
College Football Star:
Don't Call Me 'AR-15'
Jul 19, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
College Football Star: Don't Call Me 'AR-15'
Gators QB Anthony Richardson doesn't want to be 'associated with the assault rifle'
- College football star Anthony Richardson will no longer go by the nickname "AR-15." The 21-year-old University of Florida quarterback said Sunday that he didn't wish to be associated with assault rifles used in mass shootings. Though "'AR-15' was simply a representation of my initials combined...
Wisconsin Crime Lab
Destroys Rittenhouse Rifle
Mar 11, 2022 4:55 PM CST
Wisconsin Crime Lab Destroys Rittenhouse Rifle
Police return clothes, personal items the former defendant wanted
: The weapon that Kyle Rittenhouse used to shoot three people during Wisconsin protests in 2020 has been destroyed. The State Crime Lab did it on Feb. 25, WISN reports, in keeping with an agreement between Rittenhouse and prosecutors. Police had been holding the rifle since it was confiscated after...
Man Who Bought
Jan 10, 2022 7:17 AM CST
Man Who Bought Rittenhouse Gun Shifts His Plea
Dominick Black now wants to plead no contest to no-felony charge of contributing to delinquency of minor
- Kyle Rittenhouse may not have had the AR-15 he used to shoot three men, two fatally, on Aug. 25, 2020, in Kenosha, Wis., if Dominick Black hadn't bought it for him three months earlier. At the time in May 2020, Rittenhouse was only 17, too young to legally...
'Swiss Army Knife' Ruling
Jun 10, 2021 5:45 PM CDT
California Appeals 'Swiss Army Knife' Ruling
Attorney general argues the ban saves lives
- Calling a federal judge's reasoning disturbing, California's attorney general on Thursday appealed the decision that found the state's assault weapons ban to be unconstitutional. In his ruling issued Friday, US District Judge Roger Benitez said an AR-15, like a Swiss army knife, could be used "for...
Owning an AR-15
Mar 29, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Graham Defends Owning an AR-15
He says he would use it to protect himself from roving gangs after a natural disaster
- Sen. Lindsey Graham doesn't seem to have a lot of faith in his state's disaster preparedness. The South Carolina Republican told
Fox News Sunday
that he owns an AR-15 to protect himself from gangs in the aftermath of a disaster, CBS reports. "If there's a natural...
Girl, 11, Brings AR-15
to Gun Law Hearing
Feb 25, 2020 1:30 AM CST
Girl, 11, Brings AR-15 to Gun Law Hearing
'She's been shooting since she was 5 years old,' grandfather tells committee
- An 11-year-old girl toting a loaded AR-15 assault weapon appeared Monday at a legislative hearing with her grandfather, who is supporting a proposal that would allow visitors to Idaho who can legally possess firearms to carry a concealed handgun within city limits. Charles Nielsen addressed the committee that voted to...
8 Months Pregnant, Woman
Returns Home Invaders' Fire
Nov 4, 2019 7:45 PM CST
8 Months Pregnant, Woman Returns Home Invaders' Fire
One of the armed men was killed, the other fled
- Hearing a commotion one evening last week, a Florida woman who'd been in a back bedroom of the family house looked out to see what was going on. When she saw two men holding her 11-year-old daughter and pistol-whipping her husband, and one of them took a shot at...
MLB Ump Warns of 'CIVAL
WAR' in Pro-Trump Tweet
Oct 24, 2019 6:38 AM CDT
MLB Ump Warns of 'CIVAL WAR' in Pro-Trump Tweet
League looking into deleted post by Rob Drake
- Rob Drake's 20 years as an MLB umpire may now be in jeopardy after a tweet about the possible impeachment of President Trump. As in, he's clearly upset by the impeachment inquiry, evidenced by a post seen by ESPN that he put up late Tuesday (and has since...
Dick's Sporting Goods Turned
Assault Rifles Into Scrap Metal
Oct 8, 2019 2:23 AM CDT
Dick's Sporting Goods Turned Assault Rifles Into Scrap Metal
Chain halted sales after Florida school shooting
- Dick's Sporting Goods stopped selling assault-style rifles after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla.—and the chain didn't try to offload its unsold inventory to other retailers. CEO Ed Stack revealed in a CBS interview Sunday that the chain turned the $5 million worth of assault rifles...
to 'Take Your
Sep 22, 2019 1:52 PM CDT
O'Rourke's Plan to 'Take Your AR-15' Raises Questions
Americans own an estimated 16 million AR-15s and AK-47s
- Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke's recent vow to take away people's AR-15 and AK-47 rifles raised one big question: How is it possible to round up the millions of such guns that exist in the United States? The number of AR-15 and AK-47s in the US is...
Colt Suspends Production
of AR-15 Rifles for Civilians
Sep 20, 2019 1:52 AM CDT
Colt Suspends Production of AR-15 Rifles for Civilians
Market is already saturated, company says
- Gun-maker Colt is suspending its production of rifles for the civilian market including the popular AR-15, the company said Thursday in a shift it attributed to changes in consumer demand and a market already saturated with similar weapons. The company said it will focus instead on fulfilling contracts with military...
ID the Odessa
Sep 1, 2019 2:40 PM CDT
Law Officers ID the Odessa Shooter, Talk About Motive
Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke refused to publicly say the name
- Authorities said Sunday they still could not explain why a man with an AR-style weapon opened fire during a routine traffic stop in West Texas to begin a terrifying rampage that killed seven people, injured 22 others, and ended with officers gunning him down outside a movie theater, the AP...
A High-Speed Bullet,
Then 'Ghastly' Injuries
Mar 5, 2018 11:00 AM CST
A High-Speed Bullet, Then 'Ghastly' Injuries
Trauma surgeons describe the 'haunting' wounds they've seen from assault-style rifles
- While the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School has caused horror nationwide, only a few have actually seen the damage wrought to victims' bodies by an assault-style rifle. The
New York Times
talks to five trauma surgeons from all parts of the US, all "haunted by their...
Another Retailer Tightens
Rules on Gun Sales
Mar 1, 2018 10:15 AM CST
Another Retailer Tightens Rules on Gun Sales
Kroger won't sell to those under 21 through its Fred Meyer outlets
- The issue of guns remained front and center Thursday, with Kroger becoming the third major retailer in recent days to add new restrictions to gun sales, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. (Dick's and Walmart came first .) The supermarket chain will no longer sell guns or ammo to those...
With Bullet Crowns and AR-15s,
Church Ceremony Riles Town
Mar 1, 2018 9:50 AM CST
With Bullet Crowns and AR-15s, Church Ceremony Riles Town
Offshoot of Unification Church slammed by locals for 'scary' event
- Worshippers wearing crowns made of bullets clutched AR-15 rifles, drank holy wine, and exchanged or renewed wedding vows in a commitment ceremony at a Pennsylvania church Wednesday, prompting a nearby school to cancel classes. With state police and a smattering of protesters standing watch outside the church, brides clad in...
Cops: Man Armed With
AR-15 Stops Attack
Feb 27, 2018 11:27 AM CST
Cops: Man Armed With AR-15 Stops Attack
Chicago-area resident Dave Thomas says he chose it deliberately over his handgun
- A story involving an AR-15 is making headlines, with a twist: Police near Chicago say a man used his weapon to stop a knife attack, reports the
. The resident of Oswego Township tells WGN that he witnessed a confrontation among neighbors turn violent and decided to act. Dave...
After School Threat, Cops
Find Cache of Guns, Ammo
Feb 22, 2018 1:25 AM CST
After School Threat, Cops Find Cache of Guns, Ammo
Security officer overheard teen threaten school shooting
- Police say they found a cache of guns and ammo, including two AR-15 rifles, in the home of a student who was overheard saying "he was going to shoot up the school sometime in the next three weeks." Los Angeles County Sheriff Jim McDonnell says the "disgruntled"...
Selling AR-15 Raffle Tickets
Feb 19, 2018 11:50 AM CST
Post-Parkland, 3rd-Graders Selling AR-15 Raffle Tickets
Some are calling it 'tone deaf,' but coach says he thinks it's a 'positive thing'
- Candidates in Kansas and Maryland have drawn criticism for refusing to nix their AR-15 raffles after the Parkland school shooting last week. Now, another (but much younger) group is in the spotlight. The
Kansas City Star
reports members of a third-grade baseball team in Neosho, Mo., are trying to raise...
Sandy Hook Families
on Gun Maker: 'Lanza
Heard Their Message'
Nov 14, 2017 2:52 PM CST
Sandy Hook Families on Gun Maker: 'Lanza Heard Their Message'
Court hears arguments in lawsuit against Remington
- The families of nine Sandy Hook victims and one teacher who survived the deadly mass shooting presented their case to Connecticut Supreme Court justices Tuesday in their lawsuit against Remington, maker of the AR-15 weapon used by Adam Lanza to kill 20 children and six adults in 2012, the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.