Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Shot Dead at
Nov 26, 2021 7:27 AM CST
Chicago Mom Shot Dead at Teen Son's Memorial
Police release footage of 2 male suspects in Kevin Tinker Jr.'s murder
- A 31-year-old woman in Chicago was mourning the death of her 14-year-old son when she was shot dead in the same spot he had died only three days earlier. Kevin Tinker Jr. had been walking home from a friend's house in the Roseland neighborhood shortly after 5pm Sunday when...
Eyes Run for
Nov 24, 2021 12:11 AM CST
Kinzinger Eyes Run for Illinois Governor
He thinks he's the only candidate capable of beating current Democratic governor
- Adam Kinzinger isn't running for re-election to the House of Representatives next year, but the anti-Trump Republican may be running for governor of his state. "I think I’m the only candidate that could win, at least that’s out there now," against the current Illinois governor,...
2 Party Guests Killed as
They Celebrated Halloween
Nov 1, 2021 12:10 AM CDT
2 Party Guests Killed as They Celebrated Halloween
More than a dozen injured at shooting in Illinois
- "You could just tell something was going to happen," says a guest at a Chicago-area Halloween party that went horribly wrong. But, he continues, "I never thought my friend was going to die." Two people died and more than a dozen were injured just after midnight...
Cause of Death Announced for
Grad Student Found in River
Oct 26, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Cause of Death Announced for Grad Student Found in River
Coroner says Jelani Day, 25, drowned in Illinois River; Day's family says he was murdered
Jelani Day, the Illinois State University grad student found dead in the Illinois River on Sept. 4, died by drowning, a coroner announced Monday. LaSalle County Coroner Richard Ploch noted the autopsy wasn't ideal, as the body had decomposed and been visited by predators. Still, "there was...
Police Searched His House. He
Was Found Dead Months Later
Oct 25, 2021 3:29 PM CDT
Police Searched His House. He Was Found Dead Months Later
United exec Jake Cefolia disappeared in August
- A United Airlines executive who mysteriously disappeared in August was found dead in a nature preserve Sunday. Jake Cefolia was under criminal investigation when his ex-wife, Kristine Cefolia, reported him missing. Police say they found his remains hanging from a tree in Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve in Illinois,
a Second Trial
Oct 21, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
R. Kelly Now Facing a Second Trial
He was temporarily put on suicide watch after his conviction
- A federal judge on Wednesday ordered R&B superstar R. Kelly to stand trial in Chicago on child pornography and obstruction of justice charges next year after the scheduled sentencing for his conviction in an earlier sex trafficking trial in New York, per the AP . US District Judge Harry Leinenweber...
Student Sentenced for Ad
Offering Black Teen as 'Slave'
Oct 21, 2021 10:19 AM CDT
Student Sentenced for Ad Offering Black Teen as 'Slave'
Illinois teen ordered to serve 2 years of probation, 100 hours of community service
- An Illinois teenager who was charged with a hate crime two years ago over a Craiglist ad offering to sell a Black classmate as a slave has been sentenced to two years of probation, and authorities say they hope it will help him "mature into a productive member of...
Illinois Man Who
Dies of Rabies
Sep 29, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Illinois Man Who Refused Treatment Dies of Rabies
Thomas Krob reportedly awoke last month to find a bat on his neck
- Illinois' first human case of rabies in 67 years turned into a fatal one. An elderly Lake County resident who awoke in mid-August to find a bat on his neck has died of the disease after declining medical treatment, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health. The man—identified...
Marathon's First US Winner in
20 Years Caught a Lucky Break
Sep 28, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Marathon's First US Winner in 20 Years Caught a Lucky Break
2 Kenyan leaders were diverted, disqualified at Quad Cities Marathon
- An Illinois man became the first US runner since 2001 to claim victory in the Quad Cities Marathon on Sunday after watching the two Kenyan runners ahead of him go the wrong way. "I was about 20 seconds back, so I kind of saw it happening but I'm...
Conor McGregor's New Title:
'Worst First Pitch' Thrower
Sep 22, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Conor McGregor's New Title: 'Worst First Pitch' Thrower
MMA fighter's pitch hit barrier some 20 feet right of home plate
- The world's highest-paid athlete can throw a punch with accuracy, but apparently not a baseball. Mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor joined the long list of celebrities who've bungled a ceremonial first pitch at an MLB game after he took to the mound Tuesday at Wrigley Field ahead...
Professor Allegedly Spat on
Black Woman, Yelled Slurs
Sep 21, 2021 8:10 PM CDT
Professor Allegedly Spat on Black Woman, Yelled Slurs
Alberto Friedmann faces hate crime charge
- A college professor in Illinois has been charged with a hate crime in connection with a confrontation outside a grocery store in a Chicago suburb earlier this month. Alberto Friedmann, 53, allegedly spat on a Black woman and yelled racial slurs at the woman and her 7-year-old daughter in a...
Obituary: The Unvaccinated
Cost Grandma Her Life
Sep 16, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
Obituary: The Unvaccinated Cost Grandma Her Life
Candace Ayers, who died of COVID-19, was frustrated by vaccine hesitancy
- The family of a fully vaccinated grandmother who died from COVID-19 is urging unvaccinated people across the country to get the shot, if not to protect themselves, then to protect someone else. "She was preceded in death by more than 4,531,799 others infected with COVID-19. She was...
Illinois Students Get
5 Mental Health Days
Sep 3, 2021 12:45 PM CDT
Illinois Students Get 5 Mental Health Days
It's the latest state to adopt the trend
- Illinois has become the latest state to embrace a new philosophy on the health of students: mental health days. Starting in January, students in the state will be able to take five such days off a year, with no need for a doctor's note, reports NPR . The move is...
'Obvious Case of
Racial Profiling' by Cop
Aug 31, 2021 1:54 PM CDT
Lawyers Describe 'Obvious Case of Racial Profiling' by Cop
Chicago police officer is on administrative leave
- A white Chicago police officer has been placed on administrative duty as the city's police oversight agency investigates his struggle with a Black woman who was walking her dog in a lakefront park. Police Superintendent David Brown on Monday directed that the officer be placed on paid desk duty...
New State Law Bars Schools
From 'Hairstyle Discrimination'
Aug 16, 2021 6:27 PM CDT
New State Law Bars Schools From 'Hairstyle Discrimination'
Illinois law is named after Jett Hawkins, 4
- Earlier this year, 4-year-old Jett Hawkins was told that his braids were a violation of the dress code at a private school in Chicago. On Friday, he was present as Illinois Gov. Jay Pritzker signed the Jett Hawkins Act, banning hairstyle discrimination in schools. The law requires the state board...
2 Young Sisters Shot
After Getting Into Car
Aug 16, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
2 Young Sisters Shot After Getting Into Car
7-year-old killed in Chicago in 'gang conflict area'; 6-year-old sister is 'fighting for her life'
- A 7-year-old girl was fatally shot and her 6-year-old sister was seriously wounded in Chicago when someone opened fire after the siblings had gotten into a parked a car, police said. The 7-year-old was shot in the chest and torso Sunday afternoon and was pronounced dead at Loyola University Medical...
Dozens of Cops Turn Back on
Chicago Mayor at Hospital
Aug 10, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Dozens of Cops Turn Back on Chicago Mayor at Hospital
Lori Lightfoot went to offer support for injured police officer whose partner died in weekend shooting
- Two Chicago police officers were shot during a Saturday night traffic stop, one fatally, and after the shooting, the city's mayor headed to the hospital where the surviving officer is said to be fighting for his life. That visit didn't go well for her. First, sources tell the...
Aug 3, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Convicted Governor Sues Illinois
Rod Blagojevich wants the right to run for office again
- This time, Rod Blagojevich is taking Illinois to court. The former governor, who served eight years in prison on corruption convictions before his sentence was commuted by former President Trump, filed a federal lawsuit Monday to regain the right to run for elective office, the
reports. That required...
This Is the First State
to Ban Cops From
Lying to Minors
Jul 16, 2021 12:37 PM CDT
This Is the First State to Ban Cops From Lying to Minors During Questioning
Illinois law bans interrogation techniques linked to false confessions
- After hours of interrogation in 1995, police in Chicago told 17-year-old Terrill Swift he could go home if he admitted being present at the scene of a rape and murder. He went home 17 years later after he was exonerated by DNA evidence. Illinois has now become the first state...
at My House
Jul 15, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Scottie Pippen: Come Watch the Olympics at My House
Retired basketball star offering stays at his Illinois vacation home on Airbnb
- You could watch the Tokyo Olympics from Scottie Pippen's home and, in his words, "sleep in my bed." The six-time NBA champion and two-time Olympic gold medalist has turned to Airbnb to offer three one-night stays at his vacation home in Illinois' Highland Park where fans can...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
FBI: Images Show Dark Truth About Renowned Collector
Mother Chases Down Leopard To Rescue Son
CNN Fires Chris Cuomo, Citing New Information
She Feared Her Partner Would Kill Her. Death Came Differently
Glued Lock Prevents Hundreds From Receiving COVID Shots
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.