Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
17-Year-Old Caught After
Prison Break Does It Again
Nov 27, 2023 9:35 AM CST
17-Year-Old Caught After Prison Break Does It Again
David Atkins, 17, slipped out of Baton Rouge detention facility on Saturday with another teen
- Louisiana police have their hands full with a murder suspect, who has escaped youth jail there not once but twice this month. CBS News reports that two teens slipped out of the East Baton Rouge Juvenile Detention Center on Saturday night, though authorities aren't yet sure how. WAFB identifies...
Sep 21, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Beverly Hills Targets Young Vandals Prepping for Halloween
City bans those under 21 from possessing shaving cream, Silly String on Oct. 31
- Beverly Hills has placed a ban on young people possessing everyday products abused by vandals in an effort to create a "safe, family-friendly environment" on Halloween. The city council voted 5-0 Tuesday to ban people under the age of 21 from possessing Silly String, shaving cream or gel, and...
Cops: He Hit 2 Cyclists, Then
Made the Next Hit a Fatal One
Sep 14, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Cops: He Hit 2 Cyclists, Then Made the Next Hit a Fatal One
Juvenile in Huntington Beach, California, charged with homicide after 70-year-old cyclist died
- A juvenile driver in Huntington Beach, California, is accused of running down three cyclists within 45 minutes on Sunday, killing one. The cyclists were struck in separate incidents less than a mile apart, KTLA reports. The first incident occurred around 10pm when a cyclist was struck in a crosswalk by...
Philly DA: Teen Bomb-Maker
Was 'Grave Danger to Everyone'
Aug 15, 2023 2:41 PM CDT
Philly DA: Teen Bomb-Maker Was 'Grave Danger to Everyone'
17-year-old nabbed in Philadelphia was allegedly testing devices, communicating with terrorists
- A 17-year-old "aspiring terrorist" is facing multiple state felony charges in Pennsylvania after he was found to be communicating with a foreign terrorist group while building a weapon of mass destruction, officials said Monday. At a press conference, Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner said the unnamed teen "was...
Extradited Nigerian Allegedly
Pushed US Teen to Suicide
Aug 15, 2023 2:14 PM CDT
Extradited Nigerian Allegedly Pushed US Teen to Suicide
Samuel Ogoshi and his brother Samson accused in international 'sextortion' scheme
- In March 2022, 17-year-old Jordan DeMay received a message over Instagram from someone threatening to make his nude photo go viral unless the teen coughed up $1,000. DeMay, a high school senior in Michigan, could afford only $300. "I'm kms rn [killing myself right now]. Bc [because]...
Into Car Trapped
Then, a Drone
Jun 28, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Water Poured Into Car Trapped in Sinkhole. Then, a Drone
'Maybe 30 minutes later, they could have been dead,' Colorado teen says of his well-timed rescue
- When Josh Logue started flying drones as a hobby, he had no idea it would result in him saving lives. That's what happened Saturday morning as the 18-year-old Colorado man sent up a drone to explore the Denver suburb of Brighton after heavy rainfall transformed a dry canal into...
in 1999 Deaths
of Teenage Girls
Jun 15, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
Killer Receives Life Sentence in 1999 Deaths of Teenage Girls
DNA testing tied Coley McCraney to the slayings
- An Alabama judge sentenced a man to life imprisonment without possibility of parole on Thursday, bringing a close to the case of the slayings of two teenage girls in 1999. Coley McCraney was convicted of capital murder in April by a jury that decided the sentence, which the judge was...
Restaurant's $480K Suit Goes
After Teen for 'Sushi Terrorism'
Jun 12, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Restaurant's $480K Suit Goes After Teen for 'Sushi Terrorism'
Japan's Sushiro chain says high schooler licked sushi, claims customers fled after viral video
- A high schooler in Japan has been hit with a nearly half-million-dollar lawsuit, after a sushi eatery says viral footage of his antics caused a huge customer dip. Broadcaster NHK reports that Akindo Sushiro Co., parent company of the Sushiro chain, is suing the teen for $480,000, accusing him...
Means This Group
Is in Demand for
May 27, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Labor Shortage Means This Group Is in Demand for Summer Jobs
Teens are in the driver's seat, with the ability to hold out for jobs with higher wages
- Teens have long been vital to filling out the summertime staffs of restaurants, ice cream stands, amusement parks, and camps. Now, thanks to one of the tightest labor markets in decades, they have even more sway, with an array of jobs to choose from at ever higher wages, per the...
Issue of Our
Time,' a Warning
May 23, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
On 'Defining Public Health Issue of Our Time,' a Warning
Surgeon General Vivek Murthy says social media is driving depression, anxiety in teens, kids
- Few parents love seeing their kids hunched over their phones, scrolling like zombies through TikTok videos or Instagram posts, and a new warning from the nation's top doctor isn't about to alleviate those feelings. Per NBC News , Surgeon General Vivek Murthy has issued a new report on youth...
Venmo Changes Policy
on Teen Accounts
May 22, 2023 2:46 PM CDT
Venmo Changes Policy on Teen Accounts
Social payments app will let kids ages 13 to 17 join, get debit card—with parental OK
- Teenagers will officially be allowed to open a Venmo account with a parent's permission, the company said Monday, expanding the popular social payments app to an age demographic that's likely to embrace it almost immediately. The Venmo Teen Account will be available for 13- to 17-year-olds and comes...
New Labor Law
in This State
Lets Kids Work
Apr 19, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
New Labor Law in This State Lets Kids Work Longer Hours
Iowa GOP pushes through child labor legislation that even lets minors serve booze in some cases
- Every Democrat in Iowa's Senate, as well as two Republicans, voted nay on a controversial bill early Tuesday that would allow teens to work longer hours in currently banned jobs, including in roles that serve booze. But the rest of the body's GOP pushed the legislation through by...
Good Samaritan Who Helped
Teen: 'I Thought He Was Dead'
Apr 18, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
Good Samaritan Who Helped Teen: 'I Thought He Was Dead'
More on the case of Ralph Yarl, Kansas City 16-year-old shot when he went to the wrong home
- Charges have been filed in the case of Ralph Yarl, the Black teen shot Thursday night in Kansas City, Missouri, when police say he showed up at the wrong house to pick up his younger siblings. Andrew Lester, the 84-year-old white homeowner accused of shooting the 16-year-old and charged...
Final Juvenile Suspect in
Murder of 3 Teens Arrested
Apr 10, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Final Juvenile Suspect in Murder of 3 Teens Arrested
3 young suspects all now in custody
- The final juvenile suspected in the murder of three other teens in Florida was arrested Saturday, the AP reports. US Marshals located the 16-year-old and took him into custody. He faces charges of carjacking with a firearm, aggravated assault, grand theft of a motor vehicle, fleeing or attempting to elude...
Cops: TikTok Challenge Drove
Teens to Act Like Kool-Aid Man
Feb 23, 2023 12:07 PM CST
Cops: TikTok Challenge Drove Teens to Act Like Kool-Aid Man
Kids busted for crashing through residents' fences on Long Island
- Another day, another stupid TikTok challenge. This time it involves a group of Long Island teens who allegedly decided to emulate the Kool-Aid Man's move of busting through walls —except in their case, they're accused of kicking down local fences. Fox News reports that Suffolk County police...
2 Men Arrested in 1975
Murder of Indiana Teen
Feb 9, 2023 9:45 AM CST
2 Men Arrested in 1975 Murder of Indiana Teen
Laurel Jean Mitchell's body was found nearly 50 years ago, and the case had gone cold
- Almost half a century ago, 17-year-old Laurel Jean Mitchell was killed in Indiana. Her case had gone cold since, but now, thanks partially to a DNA match, two arrests have finally been made. At a Tuesday news conference, Indiana State Police announced that Fred Bandy Jr., 67, and John Wayne...
MLB Teams Sign a Bunch
of Players' Family Members
Jan 16, 2023 8:41 AM CST
MLB Teams Sign a Bunch of Players' Family Members
Among them: Padres sign Ethan Salas, younger bro of top Marlins prospect Jose Salas, for $5.6M
- The San Diego Padres signed 16-year-old catcher Ethan Salas of Caracas, Venezuela, to a $5.6 million bonus on Sunday, the first day of the international signing period. Salas is the consensus top overall prospect in this year's class. The left-handed hitter is the younger brother of Jose Salas,...
Dec 17, 2022 12:47 PM CST
Teacher Who Gave Teen Vaccine Shot Avoids Prison
Laura Russo pleads guilty to lesser charge
- A high school teacher fired after being accused of injecting a teenager with a coronavirus vaccine without his parents knowing has avoided a prison sentence. Laura Russo pleaded guilty Friday to a misdemeanor count of attempting the unauthorized practice of medicine in court in Mineola, New York. She also entered...
Teen Who Vanished While
Working on Project Found Dead
Dec 10, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Teen Who Vanished While Working on Project Found Dead
Body of Dante de la Torre, 16, discovered in wooded area in Placer County, California
- Dante de la Torre set off early Wednesday afternoon to the Gold Run rest stop area off of California's Interstate 80, ready to gather soil samples for a high school science project he was working on. Just over a day later, the California 16-year-old was found dead in a...
Teen Who Killed Her Rapist
in Custody After Her Escape
Nov 9, 2022 1:15 PM CST
Teen Who Killed Her Rapist in Custody After Her Escape
Pieper Lewis, who fled from a Des Moines women's center, didn't go far
- Pieper Lewis is back in custody. The 18-year-old Iowa sex trafficking victim who on Friday fled a Des Moines women's center where she was serving five years of probation for the killing of her alleged rapist was found in Des Moines and booked into Polk County Jail on Tuesday....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.