Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
15-Year-Old Arrested in Park
Shooting That Injured 6 Teens
Nov 24, 2021 10:40 AM CST
15-Year-Old Arrested in Park Shooting That Injured 6 Teens
Police say boy in Aurora, Colo., incident was behind the wheel of Chrysler 300 used in a drive-by
A 15-year-old boy has been charged with attempted first-degree murder after six teens were shot and injured in an Aurora, Colo., park on Nov. 15, reports NBC News . Per a statement from the Aurora Police Major Crimes Unit, the male suspect was arrested Monday night after being IDed as...
3 Shot at Another
Nov 19, 2021 4:05 PM CST
3 Shot at Another Aurora School
6 students were wounded just days ago elsewhere in the Colorado city
- Three people were shot Friday in the parking lot of a high school in the Denver suburb of Aurora, and the school went on lockdown, police said Friday. On Monday, six students from another Aurora high school were shot and injured at a park near their school. The Aurora Police...
Report: Settlement in
Elijah McClain Suit Is
Aurora PD's Biggest Ever
Nov 18, 2021 9:50 AM CST
Report: Settlement in Elijah McClain Suit Is Aurora PD's Biggest Ever
Insiders say Colo. city will pay $15M to family of Black man who died after he was restrained
- A settlement between the city of Aurora, Colo., and the family of Elijah McClain is one of the biggest of its kind on record, insiders say. Sources tell CBS Denver that the city has agreed to pay $15 million to the family of the 23-year-old Black man, who died in...
Elijah McClain's Parents
Reach Settlement With City
Oct 19, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
Elijah McClain's Parents Reach Settlement With City
They filed civil rights lawsuit after son's death
: The parents of Elijah McClain have reached a tentative settlement with the city of Aurora, Colorado over the death of their son after a fatal encounter with police in 2019. The 23-year-old massage therapist was thrown to the ground and placed in a chokehold before paramedics injected him with...
Grand Jury Indicts 5
in Elijah McClain Death
Sep 1, 2021 1:46 PM CDT
Grand Jury Indicts 5 in Elijah McClain Death
Aurora police, paramedics face charges in death of unarmed Black man
- Two years ago, Elijah McClain went out to buy some iced tea for his brother and ended up dead. Now, three police officers—two current and one former—have been indicted in the 23-year-old Black man's death, along with two paramedics. Arrest warrants were issued for all five Wednesday...
New Elijah McClain Report
Blames Police, Paramedics
Feb 23, 2021 8:07 AM CST
New Elijah McClain Report Blames Police, Paramedics
Family says city of Aurora was trying to 'cover up' circumstances of Black man's death
- Police officers and paramedics acted unjustifiably throughout their fatal encounter with Elijah McClain in Aurora, Colo. That's according to an independent report commissioned by the city council and released Monday, which the family says "substantiated what we knew and what the city of Aurora was trying to cover...
For 20 Minutes, Her Pleas of
'I Can't Breathe' Were Ignored
Oct 1, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
For 20 Minutes, Her Pleas of 'I Can't Breathe' Were Ignored
Ex-Colorado cop appealing his firing over 2019 incident
- A Colorado police officer ignored a Black woman's cries of "I can't breathe" while she lay hogtied in the back of a patrol car, her face on the floor. That's according to bodycam footage revealed Tuesday during an appeal hearing for now former Aurora police officer...
Black Mom, 4 Kids
Out for Salon Day
Now Getting a
Aug 4, 2020 7:29 AM CDT
Black Mom, 4 Kids Out for Salon Day Now Getting a Police Apology
Children were handcuffed, made to lie on ground during stolen-vehicle mix-up in Aurora, Colo.
- The same Colorado police department involved in the death of Elijah McClain now has a new controversy on its hands—this time involving a Black family pulled over for an allegedly stolen vehicle. Per the
, Brittney Gilliam had taken her nieces, sister, and daughter out to get their...
Cops Allegedly Posed
at Elijah McClain Memorial
Jun 30, 2020 12:15 PM CDT
Cops Allegedly Posed at Elijah McClain Memorial
They reportedly re-enacted fatal chokehold, and all are under investigation
- Three police officers are under investigation in Aurora, Colorado, after they were photographed near the site of Elijah McClain's fatal encounter with police , reports CBS Denver . Reporter Brian Maass says the photos show officers reenacting the chokehold used on the 23-year-old. The site where he died is now a...
He Went to Get
an Iced Tea. His
Jun 25, 2020 8:50 AM CDT
He Went to Get an Iced Tea. His Death Spurred an Outcry
Colo. governor says his office will take closer look at 2019 death of Elijah McClain
- Last August, a 23-year-old unarmed black man died after an incident involving the police in Aurora, Colo. Now, Gov. Jared Polis says his office will examine how the state can assist in the investigation into Elijah McClain's death amid renewed public interest in the case, per the
Cops: 'Senseless Act' at Waffle
House Over Unmasked Man
May 20, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
Cops: 'Senseless Act' at Waffle House Over Unmasked Man
Kelvin Watson, 27, has been charged with attempted murder in shooting of cook in Colo.
- A shooting at a Colorado Waffle House that left one employee injured took place after a customer was asked to wear a face mask, local cops say. According to an arrest affidavit cited by KDVR , police say 27-year-old Kelvin Watson first showed up at the Aurora restaurant, which is currently...
Cop Found Drunk Behind
the Wheel Can't Be Prosecuted
Feb 7, 2020 12:15 PM CST
Cop Found Drunk Behind the Wheel Can't Be Prosecuted
Colorado District Attorney George Brauchler is displeased
- "He's a little intoxicated," said a lieutenant of a Colorado man found passed out behind the wheel. Except that man was a police officer—and Colorado District Attorney George Brauchler is pretty peeved that he can't prosecute him. That's because an investigation was never opened...
10 Best, Worst Cities
to Celebrate July 4
Jul 3, 2019 3:40 PM CDT
10 Best, Worst Cities to Celebrate July 4
The Big Apple promises the best time, while San Bernardino falls last
- Tomorrow is Independence Day, meaning you still have time to get to where the best celebrations are going to be. WalletHub tries to suss those out for you, looking at the 100 most populous cities in the nation across five major categories: affordability, attractions and activities, safety and accessibility, the...
Here Are the US Cities
With the Best Work Ethic
Feb 25, 2019 10:20 AM CST
Here Are the US Cities With the Best Work Ethic
The Lone Star state has some hardworking folks
- Do you work to live or live to work? It might depend on where you live. WalletHub decided to take a look at nearly 120 of America's biggest cities to see how their work ethic holds up, looking at both "direct" work factors—including the employment rate, average...
NFLer Turned Assistant
Principal Killed in School Lot
Feb 20, 2019 9:46 AM CST
NFLer Turned Assistant Principal Killed in School Lot
TJ Cunningham's neighbor is charged with murder after alleged parking dispute
- A former NFL player was fatally shot over the weekend in what authorities say was a dispute over a parking space. Anthony "TJ" Cunningham, who played part of the 1996 season with the Seattle Seahawks, was allegedly shot three times by a man who lived across the street from...
'Hero' Killed by Cops Got
5 Warnings Over 13 Seconds
Aug 3, 2018 12:35 PM CDT
'Hero' Killed by Cops Got 5 Warnings Over 13 Seconds
But the scene was noisy and chaotic, and Richard Black's family says his hearing wasn't good
- Officers repeatedly instructed Richard "Gary" Black to drop his weapon and show his hands after arriving at his Colorado home in the early hours of Monday morning. The request was made five times over a period the
reports was 13 seconds. When he didn't, but instead...
Before Cops Killed Homeowner,
He Fought Fierce Intruder
Aug 2, 2018 8:53 AM CDT
Before Cops Killed Homeowner, He Fought Fierce Intruder
Stepson says officers 'shot the first thing they saw moving'
- If Richard Black's Purple Heart and Bronze Star weren't example enough of his bravery, stepson Chad Hayashi says his last act summed it up. According to Hayashi, the 73-year-old Vietnam veteran fatally shot a naked intruder found choking his 11-year-old grandson, also nude, in the bathtub of their...
Colorado Boy, 6,
New Year's Eve
Jan 3, 2017 8:49 AM CST
Colorado Boy, 6, Missing Since New Year's Eve
FBI, police searching Denver suburb for David Puckett
- Authorities are combing a Denver suburb for a 6-year-old boy who wandered away from his home on New Year's Eve and has now been missing for more than 60 hours. David Puckett—4 feet tall with light brown hair and blue-green eyes—left his Aurora home around 5:30pm...
Boycott Urged After
Theater Seeks $700K
From Shooting Victims
Jul 2, 2016 1:49 PM CDT
Boycott Urged After Theater Seeks $700K From Shooting Victims
'Don't add to their $194 million profit while they come after Aurora victims'
- Calls for a boycott of Cinemark are gaining steam after it was revealed this week that the country's third-largest theater chain was seeking to recoup $700,000 in legal fees from the victims of the deadly Colorado movie theater shooting, the
reports. “Please boycott Cinemark," tweets...
Theater Wants $700K
From Aurora Shooting Victims
Jun 30, 2016 12:50 PM CDT
Theater Wants $700K From Aurora Shooting Victims
Cinemark is seeking to recoup legal fees after winning a civil suit
- Cinemark, owner of the Aurora Century 16 movie theater where 12 people were killed in a 2012 mass shooting, is seeking nearly $700,000 in legal fees from victims and their families, Deadline reports. According to the
, more than two-dozen survivors and parents of those killed sued the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
FBI: Images Show Dark Truth About Renowned Collector
She Feared Her Partner Would Kill Her. Death Came Differently
Climber Found Box of Gems on Mont Blanc in 2013. Now, a Windfall
Guy Who Helped Shooting Suspect's Parents Identifies Self
Mother Chases Down Leopard To Rescue Son
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.