Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Prison Break Is First
of Its Kind in Decades
Sep 7, 2021 12:37 AM CDT
Prison Break Is First of Its Kind in Decades
Manhunt has been launched in Israel
- For the first time in years, Palestinian prisoners have broken out of an Israeli jail. Six men escaped around 1am Monday, the
New York Times
reports. Five of them are Islamist militants, according to the prison service, while the sixth is said to be the former commander of another militant...
Peter Madsen Gets
Another 21 Months
Feb 9, 2021 12:09 PM CST
Macabre Killer Peter Madsen Gets Another 21 Months
He is sentenced over his escape from prison after Kim Wall's submarine murder
- He was already serving life for one of Denmark's most notorious murders , but Peter Madsen just got another 21 months tacked on to his sentence. A court on Tuesday handed down the additional time for Madsen's stunning, if short-lived, escape from a prison in suburban Copenhagen last year,...
Just Before Midnight, a Cell
Check—and 6 Men Missing
Jan 11, 2021 8:44 AM CST
Just Before Midnight, a Cell Check—and 6 Men Missing
Authorities on the hunt for 6 inmates who broke out of California jail
- Cell check just before midnight Saturday at a California jail yielded an alarming find: six men missing, and now on the run. ABC News reports the inmates, all between the ages of 19 and 22, made their break over the weekend from the Merced County Downtown Jail by getting up...
She Was a Rule Follower—Until
Helping a Murderer Escape
Sep 18, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
She Was a Rule Follower—Until Helping a Murderer Escape
Toby Dorr smuggled inmate out of prison in a dog crate
- As far as prison escapes go, it was ingenious in its simplicity. In 2006, 48-year-old Toby Dorr drove away from the gates of a prison in Lansing, Kansas, with dogs from her prison foster program loaded in the back of her van. Inside a box in one of the crates...
Hunt Escaped Murderer
Feb 25, 2020 12:01 AM CST
Alabama Authorities Hunt Escaped Murderer
Daniel Miner escaped from work-release facility
- Authorities in Alabama are hunting a 43-year-old man who has been serving a life sentence for murder since he was a teenager. Daniel Miner, who was convicted of a 1993 Marshall County murder in 1994 and sentenced to life with the possibility of parole, escaped from a minimum-security work-release facility...
Inmate Climbed Into Ceiling.
It Didn't End Well
Feb 21, 2020 11:20 AM CST
Inmate Climbed Into Ceiling. It Didn't End Well
Ohio inmate's prison escape plan foiled after ceiling gives way
- WOIO calls it a botched prison escape in Ohio that ended in "embarrassing fashion." ABC7 calls it an "epic fail"—or should it be "epic fall"? It was all of these things for Jessica Boomershine, who was caught on surveillance camera determinedly trying...
2 Inmates Go Missing
From Troubled Miss. Prison
Jan 5, 2020 7:13 AM CST
2 Inmates Go Missing From Troubled Miss. Prison
1 is back in custody
- One of two prisoners believed to have escaped from one of several Mississippi prisons recently rocked by violence is back in custody, authorities said early Sunday. The Mississippi Department of Corrections tweeted just before 3:30am that David May was in custody. Gov. Phil Bryant on Saturday said via Twitter...
Fugitive on the Run 40 Years
Busted, Done In by His Prints
Jan 3, 2020 12:53 PM CST
Fugitive on the Run 40 Years Busted, Done In by His Prints
Jose Romero escaped from SC in 1979; he was nabbed in Delaware last month
- In 1979, Pink Floyd's
was released, Margaret Thatcher was elected prime minister of the UK, and Jose Romero escaped from a South Carolina prison. Almost 40 years to the day of his jailbreak, however, the sexagenarian (he's said to be 63 or 64) was arrested in...
Brick Wall Couldn't Stop
Inmate. His Dad Finally Did
Dec 27, 2019 1:38 PM CST
Brick Wall Couldn't Stop Inmate. His Dad Finally Did
Jace Martin Laws' Texas prison escape didn't last long after his father spotted him
- A Texas inmate who authorities say carved his way through a brick wall to escape prison has been recaptured. Per KLTV , the Gregg County Sheriff's Office first made the announcement Thursday on 34-year-old Jace Martin Laws' prison break from the county's South Jail in Longview. In a Facebook...
Locals on Edge as Prisoner
Oct 1, 2019 7:06 AM CDT
Locals on Edge as Prisoner Goes Missing—Again
Calvin Adams escaped an Arkansas prison in 2009 and may have just done so again
- "We'll get him." That's the determined response of a spokeswoman for the Arkansas Department of Corrections, which has pulled out all the stops to look for a convicted murderer who either managed to bust out of a state prison or is hiding very well somewhere on...
All 4 'Extremely Dangerous'
Escaped Inmates Captured
Sep 30, 2019 2:54 PM CDT
All 4 'Extremely Dangerous' Escaped Inmates Captured
Authorities say men overpowered female guards at Ohio prison
- Four inmates described as "extremely dangerous" escaped from a county jail in Ohio early Sunday after overpowering two female guards, authorities say, but all four have since been recaptured, nearly 400 miles away, per WCHS . The Gallia County Sheriff's Office says Brynn Martin, 40; Christopher M. Clemente, 24;...
After Prison Break
Aug 2, 2019 12:15 AM CDT
White Supremacist Leader Captured After Prison Break
Gang leader, 2nd inmate escaped Ark. facility
- Authorities on Thursday captured two fugitives, including a white supremacist gang leader, who escaped from an Arkansas jail and whose disappearance may have gone unnoticed for more than a day. Wesley Gullett, 30, was captured after he was found walking alone down a highway in Dover, which is about 100...
El Chapo's Wife
Jan 24, 2019 1:29 AM CST
El Chapo's Wife Assisted Escape, Witness Says
She was in on the meetings, former henchman says
- The wife of Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman played a key role in his infamous 2015 escape from prison through a tunnel dug into the shower of his cell, a witness testified Wednesday at the kingpin's US trial. Damaso Lopez Nunez, once a loyal lieutenant for...
Ex-Prison Worker Who Helped
Escapees: Ben Stiller Is a 'Liar'
in case you missed it
Dec 29, 2018 9:03 AM CST
Ex-Prison Worker Who Helped Escapees: Ben Stiller Is a 'Liar'
Joyce 'Tillie' Mitchell, depicted in Showtime's 'Escape at Dannemora,' says director is an 'idiot'
- Joyce Mitchell—better known as "Tillie" in Showtime's
Escape at Dannemora
, in which she's played by Patricia Arquette—is proving as salty as her TV character. The ex-prison seamstress, serving time in New York for her role in the escape from an upstate New York prison by...
They Used Decoy
Heads to Flee Alcatraz.
Now, FBI Replicas
Nov 16, 2018 11:45 AM CST
They Used Decoy Heads to Flee Alcatraz. Now, FBI Replicas
3D-printed dupes look like the heads used by Frank Morris, Anglin brothers
- Half a century after a notorious prison escape from Alcatraz Island, the FBI has created replicas of decoy heads that inmates used to distract guards from a plan that still captivates researchers and tourists. Authorities on Thursday unveiled 3D-printed copies of the decoys that inmates Frank Morris and John and...
Odd: a Chinese Jailbreak.
Odder: the Media Reporting It
Oct 5, 2018 8:33 AM CDT
Odd: a Chinese Jailbreak. Odder: the Media Reporting It
There's a $15K reward for Zhang Guilin and Wang Lei
- Looking to make a quick $15,000? Find these two fugitive prisoners for Chinese authorities. In what the BBC calls a "rare" event, Wang Lei, said to be in his mid-30s, and Zhang Guilin, in his late 30s or early 40s, broke out of the Lingyuan Third Prison in...
Notorious French Inmate Makes
Brazen Helicopter Prison Break
Jul 1, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Notorious French Inmate Makes Brazen Helicopter Prison Break
Redoine Faid was freed by armed men in balaclavas
- A notorious French criminal serving 25 years for murder made an audacious escape from prison Sunday after several heavily armed men landed a helicopter in a courtyard, freed him from a visiting room and carried him away. Per AP , it was the second daring escape by Redoine Faid, who once...
Fugitive Eluded Thousands of
Cops for Weeks—Until Now
Apr 30, 2018 8:21 AM CDT
Fugitive Eluded Thousands of Cops for Weeks—Until Now
Tatsuma Hirao escaped from minimum-security prison on Japanese island, swam to mainland
- Over the past few weeks, Japanese cops kept finding socks and cellphones they thought may have been stolen by the No. 1 fugitive on their list—but they couldn't find the fugitive himself. That changed Monday with the recapture of Tatsuma Hirao, who'd escaped an "open" prison...
Key to Infamous
1962 Alcatraz Break:
Jan 27, 2018 6:31 AM CST
Key to Infamous 1962 Alcatraz Break:
The magazine flags 2 past issues
- This week brought the revelation of a letter written in 2013 and sent to San Francisco police, purportedly by John Anglin—who, with brother Clarence and fellow inmate Frank Morris—famously escaped Alcatraz in 1962. That they famously escaped at all is thanks to
Escapes to Chartered Plane
Nov 16, 2017 1:16 AM CST
'Dangerous Individual' Escapes to Chartered Plane
Hawaii killer wasn't reported missing for 8 hours
- A dangerous Hawaii psychiatric patient who escaped a state hospital and flew to California before being captured Wednesday has prompted an investigation into why employees appeared to fail to do their jobs. Dr. Virginia Pressler, director of the Hawaii Department of Health, says an internal inquiry indicated that workers inadvertently...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
FBI: Images Show Dark Truth About Renowned Collector
She Feared Her Partner Would Kill Her. Death Came Differently
Mother Chases Down Leopard To Rescue Son
Climber Found Box of Gems on Mont Blanc in 2013. Now, a Windfall
Experts Warn About Shooter Drills
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.