Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
They've Climbed the
14 Highest Peaks. Now,
a 'Grand Slam' Quest
Dec 13, 2021 8:33 AM CST
They've Climbed the 14 Highest Peaks. Now, a 'Grand Slam' Quest
Nepalese Sherpa brothers set out to climb highest peaks on all 7 continents
- Two brothers who are among Nepal's most famous Sherpa guides set out on Monday to scale the highest peaks on each of the world's seven continents, in a sweeping global trek that will take them across both the North and South poles. Mingma Sherpa and Chhang Dawa Sherpa...
Your Kid Finished the
Be Quiet, Maybe
Nov 12, 2021 1:49 PM CST
Your Kid Finished the Appalachian Trail? Be Quiet, Maybe
In 'Outside' essay, Krista Langlois explains why she doesn't like stories of young record-breakers
- We've all seen the occasional headlines about kids who set mountain-climbing records or hike the entire Appalachian Trail , but Krista Langlois doesn't want to hear about such feats anymore. In her latest piece for
, she explains it's not that she's unimpressed by the youngsters' abilities,...
3 Bodies Found Buried
on Peak Near Everest
Nov 9, 2021 1:07 PM CST
3 Bodies Found Buried on Peak Near Everest
They belong to French climbers missing on Kangtega since Oct. 26
- Three French climbers appear to have died in an avalanche on a peak near Mount Everest last month. The bodies of Thomas Arfi, Gabriel Miloche, and Louis Pachoud were recovered from Kangtega mountain in Nepal's remote Solukhumbu district on Monday, a day after they were discovered under more than...
First Disabled Man to Scale 14
Tallest Peaks Lost on Descent
Jul 20, 2021 12:16 PM CDT
First Disabled Man to Scale 14 Tallest Peaks Lost on Descent
Kim Hong-bin believed to have fallen into crevasse on Broad Peak in China
- In reaching the summit of Broad Peak on the border of Pakistan and China on Sunday, 57-year-old Kim Hong-bin became the first disabled person—and 44th person overall—to climb the world's 14 tallest mountains , reports the
. "As I could do it as a disabled person,...
On Mount Everest,
a World Record Twofer
May 29, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
On Mount Everest, a World Record Twofer
75-year-old becomes oldest American to climb peak; HK climber nabs fastest ascent by woman
- Two new climbers made the Mount Everest record books over the past week, including a man who now holds the title of oldest American ever to ascend the 29,032-foot peak. Per Reuters and the
, 75-year-old Arthur Muir is that man, completing his ascent on Sunday and taking...
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest
Record. Now, Yet Again
May 8, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest Record. Now, Yet Again
Kami Rita Sherpa has climbed world's tallest mountain 25 times
- For the past 27 years, Kami Rita Sherpa has been ascending and descending Mount Everest, part of expedition teams bent on conquering the mountain. In 2019, the Nepalese man set a world record for the most summits of the world's tallest mountain, making it to the top and back...
Now Considered Dead
Feb 18, 2021 8:13 AM CST
Famous Mountaineer Now Considered Dead
Pakistan officials make statement about 3 climbers who went missing on K2
- Three mountaineers who went missing earlier this month while attempting to scale the world’s second-highest mountain, K2, should now be considered dead, Pakistani officials said Thursday. The announcement brings closure to a dramatic snowbound rescue effort on one of the most dangerous mountains to climb in the world. K2...
With 3 Climbers Missing,
the Rest Are Forced Down K2
Feb 10, 2021 9:39 AM CST
With 3 Climbers Missing, the Rest Are Forced Down K2
Pakistan suspends winter ascents, effective immediately
- Climbers managed to reach the top of the world's second-highest mountain in winter for the first time in January , but no more will be able to attempt it. Pakistani authorities on Wednesday suspended all winter ascents of K2, effective immediately, after three climbers went missing while attempting to scale...
They Said They
Their Photo Said Otherwise
in case you missed it
Feb 6, 2021 7:00 AM CST
They Said They Summited Everest. Their Photo Said Otherwise
Shadows were one issue
- Two Indian climbers who claimed to have summited Mount Everest, making them eligible for national awards, actually faked the ascent. That's according to authorities in Nepal, who began investigating after questions were raised about the pair's 2016 summit photo. At first glance, Narender Singh Yadav and Seema Rani...
Bid to Make Climbing
History Ends in Tragedy
Jan 17, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Bid to Make Climbing History Ends in Tragedy
Spain's Sergi Mingote dies trying to scale K2 in winter; a different group made it
- For the first time, climbers have reached the top of the world's second-highest mountain in winter. But the feat comes after yet another tragedy on Pakistan's K2. Reuters reports that a team of Nepalese climbers reached the summit together on Saturday. The celebration was muted, however, by news...
No One Has Climbed K2 in
Winter. This Year, 55 Will Try
Jan 5, 2021 8:54 AM CST
No One Has Climbed K2 in Winter. This Year, 55 Will Try
Push is on to claim 'one of mountaineering's last great prizes'
- About 1 in 4 people who climb K2, the world's second-highest mountain, die in the process. That's compared to about 4% of those who climb Mount Everest, which is 800 feet taller but less of a challenge for mountaineers. And the 28,251-foot-tall K2 is the only one...
Rock Climbing 'Prodigy,'
16, Killed in Cliff Fall
Jun 16, 2020 3:47 AM CDT
Rock Climbing 'Prodigy,' 16, Killed in Cliff Fall
Luce Douady apparently slipped, fell from French cliff
- Luce Douady was seen as a "climbing prodigy" and one of the "brightest young talents" in rock climbing, per AFP . But the French 16-year-old Olympic hopeful is dead after falling from a cliff in southeastern France on Sunday, the BBC reports. She reportedly slipped and fell from the...
'Oh, Jesus—What Are
They Doing' on Everest?
Dec 4, 2019 11:20 AM CST
'Oh, Jesus—What Are They Doing' on Everest?
Inside the perilous ascents and descents over 2 days in May
- "Oh, Jesus—what are they doing here?" It's a thought that repeated itself in Reinhard Grubhofer's mind as he summited Everest on May 23 and kept encountering climbers not physically and mentally up for the challenge. He was part of the horde who attempted to make it...
Father on Climbing Trip
With Son Falls to His Death
Nov 4, 2019 10:55 AM CST
Father on Climbing Trip With Son Falls to His Death
Texas man was attempting to descend Washington state's Aasgard Pass
- A father-son climbing trip in the Cascade Mountains turned tragic last week when Robert Jake Colburn apparently slipped and fell several hundred feet to his death. The 60-year-old from Dallas was descending Washington state's Aasgard Pass Thursday with three other people when he got ahead of the group, NBC...
They Watched Him Fall
on Video. Now, a Body
Oct 30, 2019 8:52 AM CDT
They Watched Him Fall on Video. Now, a Body
Live-streamer went missing atop Mount Fuji on Monday
- "Am I on the right track? So much of the route is covered with snow," says a man who was live-streaming his attempt at summiting Mount Fuji—a man whose body Japanese police on Wednesday said they may have found. The AP reports officials were notified after those...
The Ultimate Climbing Record
Has Just Been Smashed
Oct 29, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
The Ultimate Climbing Record Has Just Been Smashed
Nirmal Purja summited the planet's 14 tallest peaks in 189 days
- Nirmal Purja on Tuesday described the last six months as "grueling." That's likely an understatement. The 36-year-old Nepalese man has obliterated the world record for summiting the 14 peaks on the planet that measure at least 8,000 meters, or roughly 26,350 feet. The record had...
'Huge Mystery': Skeleton
Found Near Summit
Oct 18, 2019 8:35 AM CDT
'Huge Mystery': Skeleton Found Near Summit
Remains on Mt. Williamson appear to have been deliberately buried, maybe years ago
- Two hikers ascending California's second-tallest peak were a bit lost and bit off course when they came across a startling find: a full human skeleton. Now authorities in Inyo County are trying to solve what one calls a "huge mystery"—just who died below Mt. Williamson? And...
One of the Doomed
Climbers Had a GoPro
Jul 9, 2019 9:11 AM CDT
One of the Doomed Climbers Had a GoPro
'Black box video' of sorts suggests group triggered avalanche on Nanda Devi
- Eight climbers traverse a snow ledge on an unclimbed peak of India's second-highest mountain, a bright sun shining down. Then the screen goes black. The footage released Monday, taken from a GoPro camera retrieved from the body of one of eight climbers who perished on Nanda Devi in May,...
Missing Climbers May Not
Have Had Permission
Jun 3, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Missing Climbers May Not Have Had Permission
8, including 2 Americans, are presumed dead on unnamed peak in India
- The news about eight missing climbers in the Indian Himalayas took a grim turn Monday when Indian pilots spotted five bodies amid evidence of an avalanche. High winds and snow kept rescuers from getting to the spot to search for the other three, but one official said the odds of...
Bad News in Search
for 8 Missing Climbers
Jun 3, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
Bad News in Search for 8 Missing Climbers
Indian pilots spot 5 bodies, and chances of finding any survivors 'almost zero'
- Pilots from India searching for eight missing climbers on a Himalayan peak spotted five bodies, but conditions remain too dangerous to retrieve them, reports the
. Prior to that sighting, a government official had declared of the eight, "The chances of survival are almost zero now." The climbers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Things Got Ugly After Dallas' Wild Playoff Loss
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
Friction Is Heating Up Between Trump, DeSantis
Walmart Is Getting Into an Unlikely New Sector
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.