Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Connecticut State Trooper Has
Kept His Sandy Hook Promise
Dec 14, 2022 6:55 AM CST
Connecticut State Trooper Has Kept His Sandy Hook Promise
Survivors, family members, first responders, and others look back on 10th anniversary of massacre
- Wednesday is the 10th anniversary of the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary , in which a gunman massacred 20 first-graders and six adults in Newtown, Connecticut. In the decade since, the victims' families have struggled with a painful new life without their loved ones, and the town of Newtown has...
Newtown Quietly Opens
Memorial to 26 Victims
Nov 13, 2022 4:00 PM CST
Newtown Quietly Opens Memorial to 26 Victims
Site is 'perfectly appointed' for contemplation, mother of slain 6-year-old says
- A memorial to the 20 first graders and six educators killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting opened to the public Sunday, a month before the 10th anniversary of the massacre. No ceremony was planned at the site a short distance from the Connecticut school. It has become a...
Alex Jones Calls Judgment
a Joke and Asks for Money
Oct 12, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Alex Jones Calls Judgment a Joke and Asks for Money
Sandy Hook families listen quietly in court, then weep
- Instead of being in the Connecticut courtroom when he was being ordered Wednesday to pay the families of Sandy Hook mass shooting victims almost $1 billion for insisting the massacre was a hoax, Alex Jones was hosting his Infowars show. That allowed him to mock the court and lobby his...
Alex Jones Erupts
Sep 22, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Alex Jones Erupts in Courtroom
Infowars host testifies that he's through apologizing for false claims
- Alex Jones took the stand Thursday at his Connecticut defamation trial, acknowledging he had promoted the conspiracy theory that the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre was a hoax, but angrily refusing to keep apologizing for that. More than a dozen relatives of the 26 shooting victims showed up to observe his...
of Slain 6-Year-Old
Aug 3, 2022 12:10 AM CDT
Alex Jones Takes Stand, Addresses Parents of Slain 6-Year-Old
Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis got into a heated exchange with him later
- The parents of Jesse Lewis, who was murdered at 6 years old in the Sandy Hook massacre, took the stand Tuesday in the trial to determine what damages Alex Jones owes for defamation. Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis said the conspiracy theorist Infowars radio host made their lives "hell,...
Sandy Hook Family Has a
Dollar Amount for Alex Jones
Jul 27, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Sandy Hook Family Has a Dollar Amount for Alex Jones
They say he should pay them $150M
- For the first time, a Sandy Hook victim's family has named a price they believe Alex Jones should pay for defaming them with his lies about the Dec. 14, 2012, mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school. The lawyer for the parents of Jesse Lewis, one of the 20...
After $75K in Fines,
Alex Jones Finally
Sits for Deposition
Apr 7, 2022 1:19 AM CDT
After $75K in Fines, Alex Jones Finally Sits for Deposition
He then immediately applied for the money to be returned to him
- Alex Jones was questioned Wednesday by lawyers for families of Sandy Hook victims in Connecticut, where a judge had ordered the Infowars host to face mounting fines until he appeared for a deposition, the AP reports. Relatives of some of the 20 children and six educators killed in the 2012...
to Be Fined
$25K a Day
Until He Is
Mar 31, 2022 1:03 AM CDT
Alex Jones to Be Fined $25K a Day Until He Is Deposed
Right-winger claimed he was sick, but he somehow made it into studio to record his radio show
Alex Jones will be fined $25,000 for each weekday that he fails to appear for a deposition in a lawsuit brought against him by the families of some of the victims of the Sandy Hook elementary school mass shooting. A Connecticut judge found him in contempt of court...
Nix Alex Jones'
Mar 30, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
Sandy Hook Families Quickly Nix Alex Jones' Settlement Offer
Lawyers say Jones is just trying to 'escape a public reckoning'
- Infowars host Alex Jones offered to pay $120,000 per plaintiff to resolve a lawsuit by relatives of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims who said he defamed them by asserting the massacre never happened, according to court filings Tuesday. The offer was quickly rejected by the families, the AP...
In a First, Gun Maker Is
Held Liable for Mass Shooting
Feb 15, 2022 12:36 PM CST
In a First, Gun Maker Is Held Liable for Mass Shooting
Sandy Hook relatives and a survivor reach $73M settlement with Remington
(This summary has been updated throughout with new details.)
The families of nine victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting have agreed to a $73 million settlement of a lawsuit against the maker of the rifle used to kill 20 first graders and six educators in 2012, per...
Gunmaker Goes After Sandy
Hook Kids' School Records
Sep 4, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Gunmaker Goes After Sandy Hook Kids' School Records
Parents want them sealed
- The gunmaker being sued by parents of students killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting has subpeonaed the school records of nine slain students and educators, per the CT Post . Per the
, Remington Arms--maker of the firearm used by a 20-year-old gunman to kill 26 at the Newtown,...
Gunmaker Has a Number
for Sandy Hook Families
Jul 29, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
Gunmaker Has a Number for Sandy Hook Families
Gunmaker offers $33M in lawsuit, though it's far less than what families of shooting victims sought
- Remington has made an offer to the nine Sandy Hook families that are suing it. The settlement number the gunmaker has come up with, presented in Tuesday court documents: $33 million, subject to approval by the Alabama judge overseeing its bankruptcy case, per CNN . That means each family would receive...
Sandy Hook Families:
Us 18K Cartoons
Jul 8, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Sandy Hook Families: Gunmaker Sent Us 18K Cartoons
Motion tied to suit alleges Remington handed over tens of thousands of 'random' files to stall
- A gunmaker sued in 2014 by nine Sandy Hook families has spent seven years pulling together tens of thousands of documents for discovery proceedings, claiming it was using "extensive resources" to do so. Now, in a complaint filed last week in Connecticut Superior Court, lawyers for those families allege...
Supreme Court Rejects
Alex Jones' Request
in Sandy Hook Case
Apr 6, 2021 2:04 AM CDT
Supreme Court Rejects Alex Jones' Request in Sandy Hook Case
High court offered no comment on its decision
- The US Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear an appeal by Infowars host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who was fighting a Connecticut court sanction in a defamation lawsuit brought by relatives of some of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, the AP reports. Jones was...
Sue Alex Jones
Jan 23, 2021 1:45 PM CST
Court: Newtown Parents Can Sue Alex Jones
Defamation cases are pending over Infowars calling mass shooting a hoax
- Alex Jones has lost his attempt to have lawsuits by the parents of children shot to death at Sandy Hook Elementary thrown out. The Texas Supreme Court made no comment in rejecting Jones' argument Friday, the
reports. The parents sued after Jones and his Infowars broadcasts called the...
for $100K Over
Dec 31, 2019 8:28 AM CST
Alex Jones, Infowars Hit for $100K Over Sandy Hook
Judge orders conspiracy theorist to pay court costs, legal fees to family of slain Newtown boy Jesse Lewis
- Alex Jones and his Infowars website haven't even gone to trial yet regarding a lawsuit brought against him by a Sandy Hook family, but the case has already put him nearly $130,000 in the hole, not counting his own expenses. Per the Daily Beast , in addition to an...
A Suffering Town
Celebrates a Victory
Dec 15, 2019 9:12 AM CST
A Suffering Town Celebrates a Victory
Newtown High School wins state football title 7 years to the day after Sandy Hook killings
- On the final play of the game—after a rainy day of vigils and mourning, with flags at half-staff—Riley Ward caught a 36-yard pass from Jack Street. The touchdown gave the Newtown Nighthawks the Connecticut Class LL high school championship on Saturday, the seventh anniversary of the day a...
Sandy Hook Families' Suit a
Go After SCOTUS Decision
Nov 12, 2019 10:55 AM CST
Sandy Hook Families' Suit a Go After SCOTUS Decision
Supreme Court refuses to hear gun-maker Remington's appeal in complaint
- Family members of the children killed in the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School are free to move forward with their lawsuit against gun-maker Remington . The Supreme Court said Tuesday it wouldn't hear the case, meaning a March ruling by the Connecticut Supreme Court stands, per CNBC . In...
He Said Boy Didn't Die at Sandy
Hook, Now Must Pay Boy's Dad
Oct 16, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
He Said Boy Didn't Die at Sandy Hook, Now Must Pay Boy's Dad
Noah Pozner's dad awarded $450K in defamation case
- A jury in Wisconsin has awarded $450,000 to the father of a boy killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting after he filed a defamation lawsuit against conspiracy theorist writers who claimed the massacre never happened. A Dane County jury on Tuesday decided the amount James Fetzer must...
Brother of Sandy Hook
Hero Makes Public Move
Jul 17, 2019 10:18 AM CDT
Brother of Sandy Hook Hero Makes Public Move
Republican JT Lewis is running to be a Connecticut state senator
- JT Lewis was 12 years old when he learned his 6-year-old brother, Jesse, had been shot in the head at Sandy Hook Elementary School after helping some of his classmates escape alive . The horrific event transformed Lewis into an advocate in his teenage years—he received an award for courage...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Defiant Trump Arrives for Trial: Americans Won't 'Stand for It'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.