Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Verged on the
Aug 4, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
After Capsizing, Sailor's Survival 'Verged on the Impossible'
He managed to make it the 16 hours until he was rescued
- A French sailor was rescued in the rough Atlantic on Tuesday after spending 16 hours in his capsized sailboat. The 62-year-old, who'd set sail on his 40-foot vessel from Lisbon on Sunday morning, was 14 miles from the Sisargas Islands off Spain's northwestern Galicia region when he sent...
20 Found Dead on Small
Boat in Caribbean
Jun 28, 2021 11:16 AM CDT
20 Found Dead on Small Boat in Caribbean
It was drifting near Turks and Caicos Islands, an oft-used region for human traffickers
- A boat was found drifting about a mile off Grand Turk island with 20 dead people on board, including two children, authorities in the Turks and Caicos Islands said Sunday. Officials said investigators had ruled out foul play but were still trying to determine what happened, per the AP . The...
Students Need Rescue From
Boat Made of Kiddie Pools
May 11, 2021 1:46 PM CDT
Students Need Rescue From Boat Made of Kiddie Pools
The college students needed a 2:30am rescue off California
- It's all fun and games until someone needs a rescue. CNN reports that two California college students who fashioned a boat out of two kiddie pools, plywood, duct tape, and 20 five-gallon plastic buckets ended up needing to be rescued from the Pacific Ocean on Saturday. As one might...
'Hottest Doctor' Gets in
Hot Water Over Party Pics
Nov 27, 2020 5:06 PM CST
'Hottest Doctor' Gets in Hot Water Over Party Pics
Mikhail Varshavski has urged the public to wear face coverings during the pandemic
- The "hottest doctor" on Instagram might have a little explaining to do. Mikhail Varshavski, also known as Dr. Mike, was caught maskless on a party boat with bikini-clad women—after months of urging people to wear masks during the coronavirus pandemic, the
New York Post
reports. Photos published by...
Video Shoot Erupts
Into 'Floating Fireball'
Oct 17, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Video Shoot Erupts Into 'Floating Fireball'
'The boat was fully engulfed in flames'
- A music-video shoot turned to horror Thursday when the boat used a set erupted in flames,
reports. Thirteen were hurt, one critically, when two blasts rocked the 41-foot Wellcraft on the New River in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Twenty-one people were shooting the low-budget video at the time. "Out...
Boats Sink at 'Trump Parade'
Sep 5, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Boats Sink at 'Trump Parade'
Over 2.6K people planned to attend the Texas event
- A "Trump Boat Parade" ran into a little trouble Saturday when several boats sent out distress calls and some actually sank, CBS Austin reports. The event on Lake Travis in Austin, Texas, was going well until boats along the parade route sent out calls for help. "TCSO responded...
Shark Grabs 10-Year-Old Off
Boat During Fishing Trip
Jul 18, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
Shark Grabs 10-Year-Old Off Boat During Fishing Trip
Boy in stable condition after incident in waters off Tasmania
- A 10-year-old boy is lucky to be alive after a shark yanked him from a boat off the Australian coast. Authorities say the boy was on a 20-foot vessel fishing with his dad and two other people Friday about 3 miles from the shores of Tasmania when the shark emerged...
Trapped by Virus,
Man Sails 5K Miles to
Get to Elderly Parents
Jun 29, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Trapped by Virus, Man Sails 5K Miles to Get to Elderly Parents
Juan Manuel Ballestero journeyed from Portugal on sailboat after flights into Argentina were canceled
- When the coronavirus pandemic hit, Juan Manuel Ballestero was on the island of Porto Santo in Portugal, and the native Argentinian could've remained there indefinitely. But "I didn't want to stay like a coward on an island where there were no cases," Ballestero tells the
The Ocean Just Got
a Little Less Mysterious
Jun 21, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
The Ocean Just Got a Little Less Mysterious
Scientists have mapped nearly a fifth of the ocean floor
- Wish you could see the ocean floor? A project to map the entire surface by 2030 is making headway and has nearly a fifth of it completed, the BBC reports. The Nippon Foundation-GEBCO Seabed 2030 Project began in 2017 with only 6% mapped, so it's moving at a decent...
This Superyacht Is First of Its
Kind. A Big Name May Buy It
Feb 10, 2020 7:06 AM CST
This Superyacht Is First of Its Kind. A Big Name May Buy It
Bill Gates rumored to be scooping up $640M monster, world's first hydrogen-powered superyacht
- A world first is expected to hit the high seas in another four years or so, and the world's sometimes-richest man may be placing an order for it. The
reported that Aqua , a 370-foot superyacht designed by Sander Sinot and worth about $640 million, was purchased...
Woman, Her 5 Kids Are
Among the Dead in Dock Fire
Jan 29, 2020 5:29 PM CST
Woman, Her 5 Kids Are Among the Dead in Dock Fire
The victims were living on boats in Alabama marina
- A woman and her five children were among the eight people who died in a dock fire at a north Alabama marina, authorities and relatives said, per the AP . Grace Annette Watson Miles, 40, was killed in the blaze early Monday, along with Dezli Nicole Miles, 7; Kesston Damien Miles,...
8 Confirmed Dead in
Alabama Dock Fire
Jan 28, 2020 2:04 AM CST
8 Confirmed Dead in Alabama Dock Fire
Blaze destroyed at least 35 boats
- A massive boat dock fire in Alabama early Monday killed at least eight people, including minors, authorities have confirmed. Scottsboro Fire Chief Gene Necklaus says it will take days to confirm the identities of the victims and learn the cause of the fire, which destroyed dozens of boats, AL.com...
Survivor of Boat Sinking:
'It Happened Really Fast'
Jan 3, 2020 12:05 PM CST
Survivor of Boat Sinking: 'It Happened Really Fast'
Dean Gribble, one other crew member made it off the Scandies Rose; 5 are presumed dead
- Loved ones who spoke with crew members on the Scandies Rose crabbing boat shortly before it sank on New Year's Eve in the Gulf of Alaska, leaving two survivors and five missing and feared dead, say they didn't realize just how dire the situation was. Jeri Lynn Smith...
Alec Baldwin Got Scammed
in Statue of Liberty Tour
Oct 8, 2019 9:03 AM CDT
Alec Baldwin Got Scammed in Statue of Liberty Tour
Actor livid after he says he and his family were tricked about tour that really went to New Jersey
- Give us your tired, your poor, your disgruntled celebrity tourist. Although he's a native Long Islander, Alec Baldwin revealed Monday he'd been taken by what he calls a Big Apple "scam," NBC New York reports. Baldwin posted to Instagram a picture of a ticket he and...
After Dive Boat Fire
Sep 13, 2019 1:02 AM CDT
'Seaman's Manslaughter' Charges Possible After Dive Boat Fire
NTSB says all 6 crew members were asleep
- A California scuba dive boat was operating in violation of Coast Guard regulations when crew members were sleeping and a pre-dawn fire killed 34 people, leaving grieving families wondering if a required night watchman could have saved their loved ones. Thursday brought a disclosure from the National Transportation Safety Board...
'I Can't Breathe'
Sep 2, 2019 2:15 PM CDT
Diving Boat Mayday Caller: 'I Can't Breathe'
34 are missing after the Conception catches fire, sinks
- The search continues—but four bodies have turned up since a commercial diving boat caught fire off the California coast Monday and sank with 34 people apparently on board, the AP reports. Passengers of the Conception were said to be trapped below deck as flames engulfed the 75-foot vessel. Ventura...
Toddler Found Drifting in Boat:
My Dad Went Swimming
Aug 17, 2019 8:45 AM CDT
Toddler Found Drifting in Boat: My Dad Went Swimming
Oscar Monjaras Robledo's body found in Texas' Lake Granbury; 3-year-old in 'good condition'
- She told her rescuers her dad had gone swimming. Those were the heartbreaking words of a toddler found drifting in a boat in Texas' Lake Granbury on Friday morning, about 16 hours after she and her father had set off for a boat ride. Per NBC Los Angeles , local deputies...
It Wasn't Good Fishing
Weather. The Boat
Went Out Anyway
Jul 4, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
It Wasn't Good Fishing Weather. The Boat Went Out Anyway
Now 27 are dead, 9 are missing after fishing boat capsizes, sinks off coast of Honduras
- At least 27 fishermen died after a fishing vessel capsized and sank during bad weather Wednesday in the Caribbean off Honduras' northern coast, the Central American country's military says. The AP reports that nine people are missing and 55 others have been rescued. Jose Domingo Meza, a spokesman for...
Photos Taken May 3
Added Fuel to Iran Fears
May 16, 2019 8:53 AM CDT
Photos Taken May 3 Added Fuel to Iran Fears
'NYT': Photos show missiles on boats in Persian Gulf
- Non-essential Embassy staff members in Iraq have been told to leave , and there's been a report that the Pentagon could send 120,000 troops to the Middle East if tensions with Iran reach a breaking point. Now, a possible clue as to why the hubbub over Iran has suddenly...
His Wife's Body Was Found Tied
to Anchor. He Claimed Suicide
Dec 12, 2018 10:10 AM CST
His Wife's Body Was Found Tied to Anchor. He Claimed Suicide
It's life in prison for Christopher Leclair
- A Pennsylvania man who hoped to shack up with his girlfriend after killing his wife of 25 years will instead be confined to a prison bed for life. Christopher Leclair maintained his innocence even as a judge sentenced him to life in prison without parole on Tuesday, describing the June...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
200 People Drift Away While Ice Fishing in Minnesota
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.