Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Expect Hallucinations During
This Hellish Ultra-Marathon
Jan 22, 2023 4:40 PM CST
Expect Hallucinations During This Hellish Ultra-Marathon
The Tunnel Ultra is just over 200 miles in the dark
- "I don't want there to be no finishers. But I do want them to go through hell to get there." Mission accomplished, Mark Cockbain. He's the creator of the Tunnel Ultra, a race he calls "a mind-bending test of extreme endurance and sensory deprivation."...
She Ran 100-Mile World Record
Only to Be Told It Didn't Count
in case you missed it
Nov 20, 2022 12:30 PM CST
She Ran 100-Mile World Record Only to Be Told It Didn't Count
USA Track & Field refuses to ratify Camille Herron's record, says course was too short
- Professional ultrarunner Camille Herron thought she'd beaten her own world record by more than a minute in February when she completed a 100-mile race in 12 hours, 41 minutes, and 11 seconds, for a pace of 7:37 minutes per mile. The Oklahoma woman beat the male second-place finisher...
They Have 60 Hours
to Run 100 Miles.
It's Nearly Impossible
Jul 3, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
They Have 60 Hours to Run 100 Miles. It's Nearly Impossible
Only 15 people have managed to get to the end of the Barkley Marathons in time in 36 years
- We've written about the Barkley Marathons in the past and can't resist an update. The punishing 100-mile race is eye-poppingly difficult, so much so that no runners managed to finish in 2022—or many of the previous years. Since its 1986 founding, only 15 have managed to complete...
Plenty of People
Run in Central Park.
Just Not Like This
Apr 16, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Plenty of People Run in Central Park. Just Not Like This
Oz Pearlman logged a record 116 miles in a single day
- The New York City Marathon ends in Central Park. Oz Pearlman's April 8 run started
ended there—but the time between those two points, and the distance covered, was pretty epic. The
New York Times
reports the 39-year-old Brooklynite set out to get the "Fastest Known Time"...
Ultrarunner Camille Herron
Can Definitely Outrun You
Mar 5, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Ultrarunner Camille Herron Can Definitely Outrun You
She has earned the right to compare herself to fine wine
- Whether you are an elite marathoner or someone who only runs if you are being chased, Camille Herron’s latest feat will impress. It happened Feb. 19 at the "Jackpot Ultras" in Nevada, site of the 2022 USATF 100-mile Championships. Yes, a 100-mile race. That’s roughly the distance...
One in 8
Started the Race
Ended Up Dying
Oct 17, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
One in 8 Runners Who Started the Race Ended Up Dying
The 'WSJ' digs into the deadly ultramarathon in China
- Running 60 miles would feel like death for most of us. For 21 runners in China, it actually was deadly . Writing for the
Wall Street Journal
, Wenxin Fan takes a deep dive into just what went wrong during the May 22 ultramarathon , which saw 172 runners set off at 9am—...
It's a Crushing Race, and
It Costs $20K to Run It
Aug 1, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
It's a Crushing Race, and It Costs $20K to Run It
120 miles, 10K feet of ascent, but Michelin-star cooking
- "Race like a warrior but recover like a king." It's an appropriate motto for what's being billed as the most luxurious ultramarathon on the planet. Yes, participants in the Highland Kings Ultra will have to hoof it through 120 miles of Scotland, but they'll pay...
She Decided to Exit 2020
by Running—for 24 Hours
Jan 6, 2021 11:20 AM CST
She Decided to Exit 2020 by Running—for 24 Hours
Jen A. Miller describes a day spent running, walking, sleeping in misery and joy
- However you welcomed 2021, it almost certainly wasn't like Jen A. Miller did: by running and walking. For 24 hours. In a piece for the
New York Times
, Miller explains that she signed up for the Hainesport Hundred and 24 Hour Endurance Run in Hainesport Township, NJ, "because...
Race Was Paused for Weather,
but She Wasn't Alerted
Jul 31, 2019 1:02 PM CDT
Race Was Paused for Weather, but She Wasn't Alerted
44-year-old Norwegian ultrarunner dies in lightning strike in Italy
- The Südtirol Ultra Skyrace race calls itself "the most extreme experience in the Alps." One runner didn't survive it.
reports that a 44-year-old Norwegian woman was hit by lightning Saturday evening while participating in the three-day, 75-mile race, which begins and ends in Bolzano,...
Dec 5, 2018 4:40 PM CST
In Ultrarunning, This Woman Often Beats the Men
Courtney Dauwalter runs 200-mile races, often beating men
- There are runners, and then there’s Courtney Dauwalter—a star of “distance running’s lunatic set,” as the
New York Times
puts it. The 33-year-old ultrarunner routinely participates in races that exceed 200 miles. Since 2011, she has tackled 51 ultra races, Deadspin reports, winning 11 of...
Appalachian Trail Record
Sep 4, 2017 4:33 AM CDT
Ultrarunner Smashes Appalachian Trail Record
He completed the 2,190-mile trek in 45 days, beating the prior record by 9 days
- After making the final sprint up Maine’s Mount Katahdin in 37 sleepless, rain-soaked hours, Joe McConaughy now boasts the record for fastest time to complete the Appalachian Trail. McConaughy averaged about 48 miles per day to complete the 2,190-miles trek from Springer Mountain, Ga., to the top of...
Will Break You
Jul 27, 2017 6:54 PM CDT
The Ludicrous Barkley Marathons Will Break You
Fewer than 20 people have completed the race in 31 years
- To complete Tennessee's Barkley Marathons, runners only need to average 2mph for 60 hours. Easy, right? Not so much,
reports in a must-read piece that simultaneously makes the race seem like heaven and hell on Earth. The Barkley Marathons comprises five loops through Frozen Head State Park. There'...
Oct 25, 2016 9:45 AM CDT
Guy Crushes Coast-to-Coast Running Record
He ran from San Francisco to Manhattan in 42 days
- Philippides , who? Pete Kostelnick has just made the Greek legend's marathon race look like a quaint sprint. Keeping an average pace of 73 miles per day, the Nebraska ultrarunner, 29, landed at New York City Hall on Monday having raced 3,100 miles from San Francisco in just...
Guy Sets Fast, Furious
Appalachian Trail Record
Sep 19, 2016 4:33 AM CDT
Guy Sets Fast, Furious Appalachian Trail Record
Karl Meltzer, 48, did it in 46 days
- Running through 14 states in 45 days, 22 hours, and 38 minutes may be a long and arduous journey, but as of this week it's also the fastest any person has ever completed a supported thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. Karl Meltzer, a 48-year-old ultrarunner who also holds a...
Race on Earth'
May 11, 2013 8:08 AM CDT
Inside the 'Most Brutal Race on Earth'
100-mile Barkley Marathons in Tennessee might be the weirdest, too
- To call the Barkley Marathons quirky would be accurate—the entry fee for first-timers to the 100-mile race is a license plate from their home state; the race dates aren't posted (entrants have to just figure it out); there are hidden checkpoints, and GPS devices aren't allowed; and...
Apr 21, 2013 4:30 PM CDT
Meet the Queen of Ultrarunning
Lizzy Hawker can run over 24 hours without sleep
- Ultrarunners compete over hundreds of miles and for days at a time in a single race. But even by those superhuman standards, British ultrarunner Lizzy Hawker, 36, is particularly, well, ultra. Hawker is the five-time women’s division winner of the Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc, one of the toughest trail races...
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Arrest Made in Ambush Murder of Microsoft Exec
After Boy, 6, Shoots Teacher, Superintendent Shown the Door
DA Says Mother Will Be Charged With Killing 2 Kids
Nomination of 12-Year-Old for Worst Actress Causes Backlash
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.