Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Demolished After Bombing
Jul 7, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
'America's Stonehenge' Demolished After Bombing
Mysterious granite structure was damaged early Wednesday
- Early Wednesday, a bomb destroyed part of the mysterious Georgia Guidestones monument in a rural area in the state's northeast. Later in the day, authorities finished the job. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation tweeted a photo of the destroyed granite monument, saying that "for safety reasons, the structure...
Jul 6, 2022 5:36 PM CDT
Bomb Destroys Mysterious Georgia Guidestone
Conservative Christians have called the monument satanic
- A rural Georgia monument that some conservative Christians have criticized as satanic was bombed before dawn on Wednesday, damaging one of four granite panels that some people dubbed "America's Stonehenge." The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said the Georgia Guidestones monument near Elberton was damaged by an explosive...
Group: Hang Our Banner, or
Monument Becomes a Toilet
Apr 6, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Group: Hang Our Banner, or Monument Becomes a Toilet
White Lies Matter makes a demand of the United Daughters of the Confederacy
- "We took their toy, and we don't feel guilty about it." So reads an email sent to AL.com from a group calling itself White Lies Matter. The "toy" they claim to have taken is the Jefferson Davis Memorial Chair, a 3-foot-tall stone monument worth $500,...
Sep 19, 2019 2:00 AM CDT
Washington Monument Finally Reopens
It was closed for 3 years for repairs
- After a three-year closure, the Washington Monument is reopening to the public. The 555-foot stone obelisk was closed in Sept. 2016 in order to replace the aging elevator and upgrade security systems. The monument will reopen to the public at noon Thursday, and first lady Melania Trump is expected to...
Cross on Public
Land Can Stay
Jun 20, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
SCOTUS: 40-Foot Cross on Public Land Can Stay
Thursday opinion cites war monument's historical significance
- A 40-foot cross on public land in a Washington, DC, suburb is staying put, thanks to a 7-2 ruling by the Supreme Court. The Maryland Peace Cross in Bladensburg, Md., erected with private funds in 1925 to honor 49 area servicemen killed in World War I, doesn't stand in...
Here Are Your
5 New National Monuments
Mar 13, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Here Are Your 5 New National Monuments
They tell of disaster, division, dinos
- President Trump signed a bipartisan public lands bill Tuesday that will protect 1.3 million acres from California to Kentucky and establish five national monuments. But it's the lack of action on ex-Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke's recommendations in a review of 27 national monuments that's drawing attention....
'Ancient' Stone Circle
Turns Out to Be
Jan 22, 2019 4:00 AM CST
'Ancient' Stone Circle Turns Out to Be '90s Replica
Scottish farmer fooled archaeologists
- An "ancient" stone circle in Scotland turned out to be as authentic a Neolithic relic as Spinal Tap's stage props. After the owner of a farm in Leochel-Cushnie, Aberdeenshire, contacted authorities about a stone circle on his property, archaeologists investigated the site and concluded that it was an...
of Pisa's Lean
Nov 21, 2018 10:05 AM CST
Leaning Tower of Pisa's Lean Has Changed
Pisa's landmark still holding strong after 800 years
- No need to rush to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa before it falls. The famous Italian tower is doing just fine more than 800 years after it first started tilting during construction, according to a group that's been monitoring the 190-foot Tuscan monument since 2001. It's in...
Man Arrested for
Smearing Ketchup on
'Father of Gynecology'
May 31, 2018 8:32 AM CDT
Man Arrested for Smearing Ketchup on 'Father of Gynecology'
He performed skit at controversial Alabama monument
- The "father of modern gynecology" is a man some people would now prefer to forget—but police in Alabama still won't let you smear ketchup on his statue. A 74-year-old activist was arrested on Confederate Memorial Day—that's April 23—for "criminal tampering" after leaving the...
Russia's Kalashnikov Statue
Had Embarrassing Error
Sep 24, 2017 7:29 AM CDT
Russia's Kalashnikov Statue Had Embarrassing Error
Workers have to remove part of Moscow monument just days after it was unveiled
- Just days after a monument honoring AK-47 designer Mikhail Kalashnikov was unveiled in Moscow , workers have removed a part of it that showed a German weapon that many believe inspired the renowned assault rifle. The monument features a towering statue of Kalashnikov and an adjacent sculpture of St. George fighting...
Alabama Unveils a New
Aug 28, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Alabama Unveils a New Confederate Monument
Other states are tearing down tributes to Dixie
- Alabama just got a new Confederate memorial, even as similar monuments have sparked protests and violence elsewhere. AL.com reports that more than 200 people attended the unveiling Sunday of a stone dedicated to "Unknown [Alabama] Soldiers" with the Confederacy at Confederate Veterans Memorial Park in Crenshaw County. "...
Up With Missy Elliott Statue?
Aug 21, 2017 7:32 PM CDT
Down With Confederate Monument, Up With Missy Elliott Statue?
If 25K petitioners have their way, yes
- The more than 25,000 people who've signed a viral online petition so far don't just want a Confederate monument in Portsmouth, Virginia, removed—they want it replaced with a monument to Missy Elliott. The idea isn't as random as it might seem; the iconic rapper hails...
Aug 17, 2017 5:03 AM CDT
More Confederate Monuments Are Coming Down
Nobody wants to be the next Charlottesville
- Cities across America, fearing that they could become the site of the next Charlottesville-style confrontation between white supremacists and their opponents, are stepping up efforts to get rid of Confederate monuments. Four monuments were taken down in Baltimore overnight Tuesday in a surprise move ordered by the mayor, and cities...
In Overnight Move, Baltimore
Removes Confederate Statues
Aug 16, 2017 7:37 AM CDT
In Overnight Move, Baltimore Removes Confederate Statues
Four come down, with mayor saying it's in the name of safety
- Four Confederate monuments that stood in Baltimore on Tuesday morning were no longer there as of Wednesday morning. The city undertook a surprise overnight operation to remove them, with crews starting about 11:30pm and working until the early morning, reports the
. (See video .) "They needed...
Arkansas' Ten Commandments
Monument Stood for Only a Day
Jun 28, 2017 10:58 AM CDT
Arkansas' Ten Commandments Monument Stood for Only a Day
Michael Reed accused of knocking it over with his car
- A controversial Ten Commandments monument didn't even last a day on the grounds of the Arkansas Capitol before it was knocked to the ground early Wednesday, reportedly by a man accused of damaging a similar monument in another state. Michael Tate Reed, 32, appears to have done little to...
Monument No. 3
Down, but 4th
Won't Be So Easy
May 17, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
Confederate Monument No. 3 Down, but 4th Won't Be So Easy
General Robert E. Lee statue still stands in New Orleans
- Workers in New Orleans took down a Confederate monument to Gen. PGT Beauregard shortly after 3am Wednesday, the third of four such monuments to come down in the city as part of a removal process that has been anything but easy. "While we must honor our history, we will...
New Orleans Starts Taking
Apr 24, 2017 3:40 AM CDT
New Orleans Starts Taking Down 'Aberration'
Mayor says Confederate statues don't represent city
- Workers in New Orleans began removing the first of four prominent Confederate monuments early Monday, making it the latest Southern city to sever itself from symbols viewed by many as representing racism and white supremacy. Trucks arrived to begin removing the first memorial, one that commemorates whites who tried to...
Thou Shalt Not
City Grounds: Court
Nov 11, 2016 12:04 PM CST
Thou Shalt Not Erect Religious Monuments on City Grounds: Court
Ten Commandments structure in Bloomfield, NM, declared unconstitutional
- Much like those "rapid-fire warnings at the end of prescription drug commercials," a disclaimer on a Ten Commandments monument in New Mexico might require "a reasonable observer … to get on his knees" to read it, an appeals declared this week. That was one of the factors...
Petra's Secret Found
'Hiding in Plain Sight'
Jun 10, 2016 12:09 PM CDT
Petra's Secret Found 'Hiding in Plain Sight'
Archaeologists find unusual structure buried in sand
- The sandstone Monastery and Treasury Building of Petra, carved by the Nabataeans nearly 2,000 years ago, astonish hundreds of thousands of tourists who visit southern Jordan each year. Unbeknownst to them, another enormous monument has been "hiding in plain sight" half a mile away. Satellite and drone imagery...
Artist Giving Away
May 3, 2016 12:38 AM CDT
Artist Giving Away Life-Size 'Foamhenge'
He has to move Virginia monument to make way for park
- "Foamhenge," a life-size plastic foam replica of England's famous Stonehenge monument in Natural Bridge, Va., has made appearances in TV shows and attracted curious visitors from around the world. Artist Mark Cline must move the monument before Aug. 1 because it sits on property that will become...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
A New Look at the Killing of the 'Face of Red Power'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.