Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Yellen: Signs Point
Away From Recession
Sep 11, 2023 4:49 PM CDT
Yellen: Signs Point Away From Recession
Treasury secretary expresses confidence about economy
- Polls show Americans are feeling a bit better about the US economy lately, per the
Wall Street Journal
, and that includes Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen. Asked if the nation will be able to head off a recession while keeping inflation under control, she told Bloomberg , "I think you'd...
Amid Strained Relations,
Yellen Visits China
Jul 7, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
Amid Strained Relations, Yellen Visits China
Treasury chief addresses concerns that US is looking to decouple from China's economy
- Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen appealed to China's No. 2 leader not to let frustration over US curbs on access to processor chips and other technology disrupt economic cooperation during a visit Friday aimed at improving strained relations. Meeting with Premier Li Qiang, the AP reports that Yellen said Washington...
May 26, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Yellen Revises Debt Deadline
Treasury secretary tells Congress government will be out of cash by June 5
- Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Friday updated the date when she projects the federal government will run out of cash to pay its bills to June 5, unless the debt ceiling is raised or suspended by then. That's more specific than she's been; Yellen previously had said it...
May 21, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
Biden Has Question About 14th Amendment
Yellen agrees there might be better ways to solve debt crisis
- He probably has the authority to invoke the 14th Amendment to raise the debt ceiling without congressional approval, President Biden said Sunday, but he acknowledged that could lead to problems. "The question is, could it be done and invoked in time that it would not be appealed, and as...
May 1, 2023 5:16 PM CDT
Biden Calls Meeting as Yellen Issues Default Warning
President asks congressional leaders to White House
- Unless Congress does something about the debt ceiling quickly, the federal government could run out of money to pay its bills by June 1, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said Monday. Her estimate adds pressure to lawmakers and President Biden to reach a deal to raise or suspend the debt limit,...
A Bank Collapsed. Next:
Moves to Avoid a 'Contagion'
Mar 15, 2023 8:29 AM CDT
A Bank Collapsed. Next: Moves to Avoid a 'Contagion'
Media outlets detail Biden administration's frenzied weekend to try to keep banking crisis at bay
- The collapse on Friday of Silicon Valley Bank , which was bookended by the shuttering of two other financial institutions, led to wider fears among Biden administration officials: the possibility of a "contagion" that could lead to a domino effect of failure among America's banks, as one White House...
Minting a $1T Coin
Jan 23, 2023 7:32 AM CST
Janet Yellen: Forget About Minting a $1T Coin
Treasury chief throws cold water on unusual solution to debt-limit standoff
- Another debt-ceiling standoff is upon us, which means a bizarre-sounding idea is once again in circulation: Mint a $1 trillion coin to pay the nation's debts. Treasury chief Janet Yellen, however, suggests advocates should forget it because the nation's central bank probably would not accept such a coin,...
In Senegal, Yellen Recoils at
the Business of Slave Trading
Jan 21, 2023 2:30 PM CST
In Senegal, Yellen Recoils at the Business of Slave Trading
Treasury secretary says administration has not endorsed reparations
- US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen paid a solemn visit Saturday to the salmon-colored house on an island off Senegal that is one of the most recognized symbols of the horrors of the Atlantic slave trade that trapped tens of millions of Africans in bondage for generations. Yellen, in Senegal as...
Trump Advice May Put
Republicans in 'Political Corner'
Jan 20, 2023 2:16 PM CST
Trump Advice May Put Republicans in 'Political Corner'
Former president warns GOP not to go after Social Security, Medicare in debt ceiling fight
- The potentially calamitous fight over the debt ceiling has begun, and former President Trump weighed in emphatically on Friday with advice to his fellow Republicans. “Under no circumstances should Republicans vote to cut a single penny from Medicare or Social Security,” Trump said in a video posted to...
Big Political Fight Everyone
Predicted Is Getting Underway
Jan 13, 2023 1:21 PM CST
Big Political Fight Everyone Predicted Is Getting Underway
Treasury's Yellen says the US is about to hit debt limit, prelude to showdown in Congress
- In other years, it might be a humdrum political matter: Treasury chief Janet Yellen told Congress on Friday the nation will hit its debt limit on Thursday, reports Politico . This year, however, the warning is expected to begin what promises to be a protracted and high-stakes fight between the White...
House GOPer Sends Letter
to Yellen on Hunter Biden
Jan 12, 2023 10:40 AM CST
House GOPer Sends Letter to Yellen on Hunter Biden
Republicans have started their probe into president's son, as well as into Joe Biden's finances
- In October, federal agents announced they'd gathered enough evidence to justify charging Hunter Biden with crimes. Now, House Republicans have jump-started their long-desired investigation of the president's son, as well as the involvement of ex-Twitter employees in handling reporting on him. Per the Hill , a letter sent Wednesday...
It's a 'Huge Milestone'
for US Currency
Dec 9, 2022 4:25 AM CST
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
New banknotes are the first to be signed by 2 women
- Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Thursday helped mark a milestone in US history when she held up a newly minted $5 bill signed for the first time ever by two women. Yellen's signature will appear alongside that of US Treasurer Lynn Malerba, the first Native American in that position,...
Yellen: I Worked Hard on a
Legible Signature for US Bills
Dec 1, 2022 7:38 AM CST
Yellen: I Worked Hard on a Legible Signature for US Bills
'I knew this was something you could really screw up,' she tells Colbert
- Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen's signature will soon appear on US currency—and she says she "practiced and practiced" to make sure it was legible, unlike the signatures of some of her predecessors. "Tim Geithner and Jack Lew signed the currency and their signatures were so illegible that...
Jul 19, 2022 8:43 AM CDT
A New Economic Term Enters the Lingo
Treasury chief Janet Yellen pushes 'friend-shoring' in South Korea speech
- In a speech in South Korea on Tuesday, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen pushed the idea of "friend-shoring" as economic policy. Broadly speaking, the new-ish term refers to the idea of trading more closely with allies instead of "geopolitical rivals," as the
Wall Street Journal
puts it. For...
Jun 8, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
2 Gloomy Forecasts Sour the Market's Mood
Yellen worries about inflation, the World Bank about stagflation
- The US stock market did not wake up in a great mood on Wednesday, with the Dow and the benchmark S&P 500 both down about half a percentage point in early trading. That might have something to do with two dour forecasts issued Tuesday about the US and the...
I Was Wrong
Jun 1, 2022 1:06 AM CDT
Janet Yellen: I Was Wrong About Inflation
Treasury secretary says she did not accurately predict 'the path that inflation would take'
- Last year, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said that inflation posed just a "small risk" to Americans. Now, she's admitting she didn't get that quite right. "I think I was wrong then about the path that inflation would take," Yellen told CNN Tuesday when Wolf Blitzer...
Western Allies Clear Room
When Russians Speak at G20
Apr 20, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Western Allies Clear Room When Russians Speak at G20
Yellen says she can't abide 'business as usual' after invasion
- Western allies took another step toward isolating Russia on Wednesday when their representatives walked out of a G20 meeting as the country's financial officials spoke. Delegations from Britain, Canada, and the US—including Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen—left the session in Washington, Reuters reports. Yellin said she objected to...
New 'Remarkable' Women's
Quarters Starts With a Big One
Jan 11, 2022 8:31 AM CST
New 'Remarkable' Women's Quarters Starts With a Big One
US Mint has started shipping quarters with image of poet Maya Angelou, first in a series
- The United States Mint said Monday it has begun shipping quarters featuring the image of poet Maya Angelou, the first coins in its American Women Quarters Program. Angelou, an American author, poet, and civil rights activist, rose to prominence with the publication of
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Under Quirky Law, We
Really Could Mint a $1T Coin
Oct 6, 2021 8:14 AM CDT
Under Quirky Law, We Really Could Mint a $1T Coin
'Gimmick' floated as one solution to the debt-ceiling impasse
- Some politicians think they've found a silver bullet for the impasse over the debt limit, except the bullet is made of platinum: Mint a $1 trillion coin and use it to flood the treasury with cash. Even its serious proponents— Paul Krugman is one of them —call it...
Apr 5, 2021 4:34 PM CDT
Yellen Wants Minimum Global Corporate Tax
Treasury secretary criticizes nation-by-nation cuts
- Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Monday urged the adoption of a minimum global corporate income tax, an effort to offset any disadvantages that might arise from the Biden administration's proposed increase in the US corporate tax rate. Citing a "30-year race to the bottom" in which countries have...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.