Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Tried to Lock
Everyone In an Ikea.
Aug 15, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Health Officials Tried to Lock Everyone In an Ikea. Then, Chaos
Patrons bust out of Shanghai store after lockdown due to customer's close contact with COVID patient
- Usually when it's closing time at a store, patrons calmly make their final purchases and exit. The scene was a bit more chaotic over the weekend at an Ikea in Shanghai after health authorities tried to lock everyone inside following a coronavirus report tied to one of the customers....
If Ikea Has Its Way, Your
Baby Will Be Named Malm
Jun 9, 2022 11:52 AM CDT
If Ikea Has Its Way, Your Baby Will Be Named Malm
Swedish retailer's Norway branch offers 'name bank' with hundreds of ideas based on its products
- Have you thought about Malm, Kivik, or Trotten? Swedish retailer Ikea is known for the distinctive names of its flat-pack home products. Now, the company's Norway branch wants to use the brand's experience to help parents browsing the baby-naming department. Ikea Norway has built a "name bank"...
Building That Billy Bookcase
Is About to Get More Costly
Dec 31, 2021 12:45 PM CST
Building That Billy Bookcase Is About to Get More Costly
Ikea announces it's raising prices an average of 9% globally amid supply chain issues
- We'll be opening our wallets a little wider for the privilege of building our own furniture in 2022. Swedish retail giant Ikea has announced it's raising its prices next year, at an average of 9% worldwide, to contend with rising transportation and raw materials costs that Ingka Group,...
Ikea to Sell
Aug 18, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
Ikea to Sell Something New: Electricity
Furniture giant will sell affordable electricity from wind and solar parks to homes in Sweden
- Ikea already sells solar panels in nearly a dozen of its markets. Now, the furniture giant based out of Sweden is taking an even deeper plunge into the renewable-energy market, starting on its home turf. Beginning next month, Ikea will sell electricity from solar and wind parks to domestic households,...
Ikea France on Trial
Over Spying Claims
Mar 22, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
Ikea France on Trial Over Spying Claims
Company is accused of illegally spying on employees, disgruntled customers
- Ikea’s French subsidiary and several of its former executives went on trial Monday over accusations that they illegally spied on employees and customers. Trade unions reported the furniture and home goods company to French authorities in 2012, accusing it of collecting personal data by fraudulent means and the illicit...
Ikea Wants to Buy Back
Old Ikea Furniture
Oct 14, 2020 3:47 PM CDT
Ikea Wants to Buy Back Old Ikea Furniture
Just not in the US
- Forget hawking your Ikea bookcase on Facebook Marketplace. As of November you'll be able to sell it back to Ikea—so long as you live in one of 27 countries. Spoiler: The US isn't on the list. "By making sustainable living more simple and accessible, Ikea hopes...
Ikea's Main Franchisee
Prepares for Baby Boom
Apr 21, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Ikea's Main Franchisee Prepares for Baby Boom
Ingka aims to reopen European stores in May
- Ikea's main franchisee has reopened all but one of its stores in China, and next month it plans to welcome crowds back to its European stores, too. Ingka Group—the world's largest furniture retailer, operating 420 Ikea stores around the world—aims to reopen stores in Europe in...
Yet More Dressers
Mar 4, 2020 11:41 AM CST
Ikea Recalling Yet More Dressers
This time around, it's the Kullen that can tip over
- Ikea is recalling 820,000 more dressers, adding to the 17.3 million it recalled in 2016. Once again the recall is due to the risk of the dressers tipping over, but this time around it's the three-drawer Kullen model being recalled; in 2016 it was the Malm model....
Ikea Settles for $46M
in Toddler's Death
Jan 6, 2020 6:07 PM CST
Ikea Settles for $46M in Toddler's Death
Recalled dresser toppled over on Jozef Dudek
- The parents of a 2-year-old California boy who was killed when an Ikea dresser tipped over and suffocated him have reached a $46 million settlement with the company. Jozef Dudek died in 2017, USA Today reports. "We miss him so much," his mother, Joleen, said Monday. The Dudeks...
This Is the Most
Swedish Fugitive Ever
Nov 21, 2019 10:54 AM CST
This Is the Most Swedish Fugitive Ever
He's found sleeping in a bed at Ikea
- Police in Sweden say a wanted man was found asleep in a bed in a furniture store north of Stockholm, per the AP . Police spokesman Tobias Ahlen says the staff at the Ikea store in Uppsala contacted the police Monday after they found the 25-year-old sleeping in the bed department....
After A$AP Rocky
Bust, Calls for
an Ikea Boycott
Jul 28, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
After A$AP Rocky Bust, Calls for an Ikea Boycott
And a fan is arrested after threatening to 'blow this motherf---er up' outside Swedish embassy in DC
- Fans of A$AP Rocky and the president of the United States alike are up in arms over Sweden's detention of the rapper , but one in particular is in some legal trouble after allegedly threatening to literally get up in arms outside the Swedish embassy in Washington, DC.
Just Not on Ikea's
Feb 11, 2019 7:51 AM CST
New Zealand Definitely Exists. Just Not on Ikea's World Map
It's not the first time the country has been forgotten by cartographers
- Usually when you buy something from Ikea, it's necessary to assemble all of the parts, but a world map should really come preassembled with all of the countries included. At least that's the feeling of New Zealanders, who are a bit miffed that a map from the retailer'...
Child Fires Gun He
Found in Ikea Store
Jun 26, 2018 4:08 AM CDT
Child Fires Gun He Found in Ikea Store
The handgun's owner dropped it in a sofa
- Police say a child fired a shot from a loaded handgun after finding it in a sofa at an Ikea store in suburban Indianapolis. Police in Fishers say no one was injured from the gunshot about 2pm Monday at the furniture store along Interstate 69 just northeast of Indianapolis, the...
With 8 Children Now Dead,
Ikea Relaunches Dresser Recall
Nov 21, 2017 9:55 AM CST
With 8 Children Now Dead, Ikea Relaunches Dresser Recall
7 of the deaths occurred since 2002
- Ikea relaunched a recall of 29 million chests and dressers Tuesday after the death of an eighth child. The death of a California toddler, who was found trapped underneath an Ikea Malm dresser in May, has raised questions about whether Ikea has effectively spread the word about the recall, which...
Critics: 'Ticking Land Mines' for
Kids Due to Poor Ikea Recall
Oct 20, 2017 12:11 PM CDT
Critics: 'Ticking Land Mines' for Kids Due to Poor Ikea Recall
An 8th toddler died in May after a dresser fell on him; his parents say they didn't know about recall
- A massive recall , followed by a $50 million wrongful-death settlement payment last year, seemed to mark the beginning of the end for an Ikea disaster that left several toddlers dead after they were crushed by dressers that fell on them. But NPR reports yet another toddler—said to be the...
Ikea Has a 'Hairy' New
Oct 15, 2017 9:05 AM CDT
Ikea Has a 'Hairy' New Furniture Collection
It's for your pets
- Scratching posts from the pet store are so 2016. Instead, Ikea hopes to elevate animal accoutrements to a more contemporary status with its new line of furniture and accessories for cats, dogs, and whatever other domestic creatures might crave their own custom-made lounging areas. Mashable reports on the "Lurvig"...
Ikea Begs People to Stop
Sleeping in Stores Overnight
Dec 22, 2016 11:12 AM CST
Ikea Begs People to Stop Sleeping in Stores Overnight
Retailer doesn't think sleepover pranks are funny and warns against trespassing
- Two years ago, Ikea teamed up with Airbnb to invite people to camp out overnight in one of its Aussie locations as a PR stunt. Now the Swedish retailer is pleading with others to stop holding "non-sponsored sleepovers" in its stores, citing safety issues and warning of possible trespassing...
Ikea to Pay $50M
to Families of Kids
Killed by Falling Dressers
Dec 22, 2016 8:10 AM CST
Ikea to Pay $50M to Families of Kids Killed by Falling Dressers
Furniture giant settles wrongful death suits of 3 toddler boys
- Ikea will pay $50 million to the families of three toddlers crushed by its dressers since 2014 in what might be the largest-ever settlement for a case involving the death of a child, reports the
. The families, who filed wrongful death suits, will split the money evenly after...
Ikea Is Getting Into the
Nov 3, 2016 5:15 PM CDT
Ikea Is Getting Into the Hydroponics Game
It will start selling plant-growing systems in US next spring
- Ikea believes city-dwelling Americans are finally ready to start growing their own food. Business Insider reports the company plans to launch its line of indoor hydroponic gardens in the US this spring. Hydroponics are supposed to make gardening easier for beginners in that there's no soil, no need to...
IKEA Says Yes
to Kanye's Plea,
Aug 3, 2016 2:24 PM CDT
IKEA Says Yes to Kanye's Plea, Jokingly
Rapper really wants to work with the furniture chain
- On Monday, Kanye West revealed one of his weirder ambitions: "I have to work with IKEA," the rapper told BBC Radio 1 , begging the furniture chain to "allow Kanye to create." He explained that the chain's minimalist designs appeal to him, and that he wants...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.