Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Democratic Republic of Congo
Stories 1 - 20 |
Beating Death of Refugee
Feb 5, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Protesters Denounce Beating Death of Refugee
24-year-old's family had moved to Brazil to escape fighting in Congo
- Demonstrators gathered on Saturday in Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, and other Brazilian cities to protest the killing of a 24-year-old Congolese refugee who was beaten to death on Jan. 24. The killing sparked outrage and revulsion across the nation, the AP reports. In Rio, they gathered outside the beach...
Do We Have a
'Moral Obligation' to
Mine for Cobalt in Idaho?
Jan 29, 2022 1:45 PM CST
Do We Have a 'Moral Obligation' to Mine for Cobalt in Idaho?
One of the country's largest stores of cobalt is there
- As the planet's need for lithium—or, more specifically, lithium-ion batteries—continues to swell, so too does the need for metals needed to make those batteries. Cobalt is one of them. As Michael Holtz explains in a lengthy piece for the
, a White House report issued in June...
Lava Flow Sends
May 23, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Lava Flow Sends Thousands Fleeing
Eruption panics residents but largely spares Congo city devastated in 2002
- A volcano eruption in eastern Congo triggered evacuations, with about 8,000 people fleeing to Rwanda, as lava flows neared the major city of Goma. The flows slowed overnight, stopping just before reaching the city of 2 million, officials reported, and the Rwandan emergency agency said the evacuees were going...
Attack on UN Convoy
Kills Italian Ambassador
Feb 22, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Attack on UN Convoy Kills Italian Ambassador
Luca Attanasio, who had been ambassador to the country since 2017, was killed in Congo
- The Italian ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo, an Italian carabinieri police officer, and their Congolese driver were killed Monday in an attack on a UN convoy, per Italy's Foreign Ministry and locals. The ambush occurred as the convoy was traveling from Goma, Congo's eastern regional capital,...
6 Rangers Killed in
Gorilla Park Ambush
Jan 11, 2021 7:10 PM CST
6 Rangers Killed in Gorilla Park Ambush
A dozen of their colleagues were massacred in April
- The mountain gorillas of Virunga National Park in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo are endangered, as are the rangers tasked with protecting them. At least six rangers were killed in an ambush Sunday, less than nine months after a dozen rangers and five civilians were massacred, the
A First From a
Jun 30, 2020 7:50 AM CDT
A First From a Belgian Monarch: 'Deepest Regrets'
King Philippe offers remorse for colonial abuses in DRC under reign of ancestor King Leopold II
- Under the brutal colonial rule of Belgium's King Leopold II, the Democratic Republic of Congo saw millions of its citizens perish at the turn of the 20th century. Now King Philippe, the current royal ruler of Belgium and a direct descendant of Leopold, has offered what's just short...
Just as Ebola Epidemic Was
Nearly Defeated, a Big Problem
Apr 20, 2020 3:21 AM CDT
Just as Ebola Epidemic Was Nearly Defeated, a Big Problem
Patient flees, sparking fears flare-up will become a larger outbreak
- An Ebola patient has escaped from a clinic in eastern Congo, leading to fears that a flare-up of the hemorrhagic fever that started April 10 won't be so easily contained. The Democratic Republic of Congo hadn't seen a new case in more than seven weeks, and was two...
It Turns Out Peat Is Way, Way
More Important Than You Knew
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 6, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
It Turns Out Peat Is Way, Way More Important Than You Knew
If peatlands burn, the planet will suffer greatly
- If you've never thought much about peat, that's understandable. An accumulation of partially decayed vegetation that can develop into a material more than 20 feet deep, peat covers just 3% of the Earth. But a lengthy article from
makes clear it's a powerhouse thanks to...
Amid Ebola Crisis,
a Border Closure
Aug 1, 2019 8:08 AM CDT
Amid Ebola Crisis, a Border Closure
Access to and from Rwanda near Congolese city of Goma is now restricted
- Last month, the deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which has killed more than 1,800 over the past year, was declared an international health emergency , spurring fears that neighboring nations would seal their borders. Now Rwanda has done just that, at least partly. Access between the...
Ebola Outbreak: Now
It's a Global Emergency
Jul 17, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
Ebola Outbreak: Now It's a Global Emergency
WHO makes the announcement after virus hits city of 2M
- The deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo is now an international health emergency, the World Health Organization announced on Wednesday after the virus spread this week to a city of two million people, the AP reports. A WHO expert committee had declined on three previous occasions to advise the United Nations...
Ebola Reaches City of 2M
Jul 15, 2019 12:15 AM CDT
Ebola Reaches City of 2M
Infected pastor traveled to Goma, Congo
- The Congolese health ministry confirmed an Ebola case in Goma late Sunday, marking the first time the virus has reached the city of more than 2 million people along the border with Rwanda since the epidemic began nearly a year ago. The health ministry says the man, who arrived earlier...
Justice Years After
Found in Field
Jul 8, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Justice Years After Disemboweled Bodies Found in Field
ICC finds Bosco Ntaganda guilty of war crimes committed in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- The International Criminal Court came into being in 2002. Seventeen years later, it notched its fourth conviction. Former Congolese rebel leader Bosco Ntaganda, known as the "Terminator," was convicted on Monday of war crimes and crimes against humanity, among them, sexual slavery—the first time the ICC has...
They'd Hoped to Contain Ebola
in the Congo. That Plan Failed
Jun 14, 2019 10:43 AM CDT
They'd Hoped to Contain Ebola in the Congo. That Plan Failed
2 have died in Uganda, and there are more suspected cases
- The World Health Organization has called an emergency meeting Friday over an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo that has now made its way into Uganda. Citing Ugandan Health Ministry information, the
New York Times
reports that two people—a 5-year-old Congolese boy and his 50-year-old grandmother—died...
Ebola Health Worker
Killed by Villagers
May 28, 2019 10:55 AM CDT
Ebola Health Worker Killed by Villagers
Democratic Republic of Congo continues to struggle to contain outbreak
- Health workers in the Democratic Republic of Congo continue to struggle to effectively combat the deadly virus that's currently raging in an "out of control" outbreak : On Saturday, villagers killed a health worker, AFP reports, citing the daily health ministry bulletin dated Sunday. "Part of the population...
Ebola Outbreak Is
'Out of Control'
May 15, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
Ebola Outbreak Is 'Out of Control'
Experts warn that a ceasefire is needed in the DRC
- The Democratic Republic of Congo's devastating Ebola outbreak is the second-biggest in history , but experts are now saying it's out of control and could end up rivaling the worst epidemic ever, which devastated three west African countries between 2013 and 2016. More than 1,600 people in the...
Explains This Selfie
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 28, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
Park Ranger Explains This Selfie
Orphaned gorillas like to mimic humans, he says
- A park ranger in Congo has described how he captured a selfie with two gorillas that went viral. Mathieu Shamavu, a ranger at Virunga National Park in eastern Congo, says he was checking his phone when he noticed two female orphaned gorillas, Ndakazi and Ndeze, mimicking his movements, so he...
Doctor Possibly Exposed
to Ebola Is Now in Nebraska
Dec 30, 2018 5:02 AM CST
Doctor Possibly Exposed to Ebola Is Now in Nebraska
US doctor was working at a missionary hospital in Democratic Republic of Congo
- A US doctor possibly exposed to the Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo is now back in the US. The unidentified 39-year-old treated a "severely ill" patient at a missionary hospital who later tested positive for the deadly virus, Politico reports. A day later, the US physician...
'Rare' Reaction Kills Boy
During 'Life-Saving' Surgery
Dec 23, 2018 2:35 PM CST
'Rare' Reaction Kills Boy During 'Life-Saving' Surgery
Matadi Sela Petit was only 8 years old.
- The story of a Congolese boy who came to America for life-saving surgery took a tragic turn when news emerged Saturday about his medical procedure, CNN reports. Matadi Sela Petit, 8, had a life-threatening facial tumor that inspired former NBA player Dikembe Mutombo to take him from the Democratic Republic...
Ebola Outbreak Now
Nov 30, 2018 12:19 AM CST
Ebola Outbreak Now History's 2nd-Biggest
Almost 400 cases confirmed in northeast Congo
- Congo's deadly Ebola outbreak is now the second largest in history, behind the devastating West Africa outbreak that killed thousands a few years ago, the World Health Organization said Thursday. WHO's emergencies chief, Dr. Peter Salama, called it a "sad toll" as Congo's health ministry announced...
Latest Ebola Outbreak
Could Be Uncontainable
Nov 6, 2018 4:43 PM CST
Latest Ebola Outbreak Could Be Uncontainable
Bad news from CDC director, other experts
- For the first time since Ebola was identified in 1976, the disease could become a persistent presence. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield warned Monday that the new outbreak in Congo is so severe it may not be containable, the
reports. Most previous outbreaks have...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
Verizon Just Got Pricier
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
Inside the Push to Stop Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.