Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Minnetonka CEO: Sorry We
Appropriated Native Culture
Oct 13, 2021 3:00 AM CDT
Minnetonka CEO: Sorry We Appropriated Native Culture
Company promises to do better
- You might think Native American people are in some way involved in Minnetonka moccasins, but you'd be wrong. And on Indigenous People's Day, the CEO of the Minneapolis-based company formally apologized for its cultural appropriation, NPR reports. "We recognize that our original products, some of which are...
Michael B. Jordan
by Nicki Minaj
Jun 23, 2021 11:23 AM CDT
Michael B. Jordan Gets Schooled by Nicki Minaj
She points out his new rum brand J'Ouvert was poorly named
- A month after Kendall Jenner got slammed for her "migrant chic" look in an ad for her 818 Tequila, there's another celeb with a booze-brand problem. Actor Michael B. Jordan says he'll be changing the name of his rum brand, J'Ouvert, which Nicki Minaj joined other...
Gwen Stefani Pushes Back at
Cultural Appropriation Critics
May 29, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
Gwen Stefani Pushes Back at Cultural Appropriation Critics
The singer is defending herself more than a decade after the Harajuku Girls moment
- Gwen Stefani has no regrets about the Harajuku Girls. When she was singing for No Doubt, she inspired thousands of girls to buy a bindi at the mall and wear it to school, but “cultural appropriation” wasn’t a familiar phrase in those days. It’s a familiar...
This Time in
Sep 18, 2020 8:24 AM CDT
'Another Academic Racial Fraud,' This Time in Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin-Madison grad student CV Vitolo-Haddad confesses to being mostly Italian
- Apparently, academics pretending to be Black is a thing? Earlier this month, George Washington University professor Jessica Krug resigned her position after penning an admission on how she'd faked being Black. Now, out of Wisconsin, a similar case. Per the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
, University of Wisconsin-Madison PhD student CV...
She Lied About Being Black.
Now, GWU Takes Action
Sep 5, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
She Lied About Being Black. Now, GWU Takes Action
Jessica Krug's students are in need of a new professor
- A professor who admitted to lying about her Blackness won't be teaching this semester at George Washington University, the
reports. Jessica Krug, who taught African and Latin American studies, is being replaced but hasn't yet been fired. "We certainly want the classes to continue, and...
Book Tour Canceled
Over 'Safety Concerns'
Jan 29, 2020 5:01 PM CST
Book Tour Canceled Over 'Safety Concerns'
Flatiron Books brings Jeanine Cummins' tour to an end
- Hoping to catch the author of
at your local book store? No longer: The publisher has nixed the rest of Jeanine Cummins' tour over safety concerns,
reports. The best-selling novel, about a Mexican mom and her son fleeing for the US, has received a mix of...
Latest J-Law Ad
Called 'Ignorant and Gross'
Nov 24, 2018 12:30 PM CST
Latest J-Law Ad Called 'Ignorant and Gross'
Critics ask latest collection features a white woman
- Dior has taken a public hit—and buckled a little under the pressure—after featuring Jennifer Lawrence in an ad for a collection celebrating Mexican culture, the
reports. Critics say the French fashion house should have used a Mexican actress for a collection about Mexican horsewomen known as escaramuzas....
She Knew Dress Was
'the One.' Twitter Says
It Shouldn't Have Been
May 3, 2018 8:15 AM CDT
She Knew Dress Was 'the One.' Twitter Says It Shouldn't Have Been
But Utah's Keziah Daum says she has just shown love for the culture
- When Keziah Daum first saw in a vintage shop the red dress she ended up wearing to prom, she appreciated its elegance and "knew it was the one," she tells ABC News . Some research into the dress revealed it was a symbol of female empowerment and reinforced her...
Fans Hurt Over
Portrayal in New
Mar 8, 2016 6:54 PM CST
Native American Fans Hurt Over Portrayal in New
'I'm broken hearted…my beliefs are not fantasy'
- Native American
fans are feeling hurt, betrayed, and angry over JK Rowling's newest entry to her magical universe.
History of Magic in North America: Fourteenth Century-Seventeenth Century
was published online this week and focuses on Native American wizards, the
reports. According to Mashable , the short story...
Nixed for Being
Nov 23, 2015 4:33 PM CST
Yoga Class Nixed for Being 'Offensive'
University of Ottawa student group cites 'cultural appropriation'
- For the past seven years, Jennifer Scharf has been teaching a yoga class for disabled students at the University of Ottawa, and she was all set to start it up again in September, the CBC reports. But an email from the school's Center for Students With Disabilities, part of...
Popular on Newser
FBI: Images Show Dark Truth About Renowned Collector
CNN Fires Chris Cuomo, Citing New Information
Mother Chases Down Leopard To Rescue Son
She Feared Her Partner Would Kill Her. Death Came Differently
Diabetics' Quest for This 7% Target 'Could Kill Them'
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.