Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sentencing Date Set
for Elizabeth Holmes
Jan 13, 2022 5:09 AM CST
Sentencing Date Set for Elizabeth Holmes
Theranos founder will remain free on $500K bond until Sept. 26 sentencing
- Theranos founder and convicted fraudster Elizabeth Holmes will learn her fate on Sept. 26, according to an order filed by US District Judge Edward J. Davila on Wednesday. Holmes, who turns 38 next month, could face up to 20 years on each of the four fraud charges she was convicted...
It Could Be Years Before
Holmes Goes to Prison
Jan 10, 2022 12:33 PM CST
It Could Be Years Before Holmes Goes to Prison
Appeals process likely to be long, complicated
- After a long, complicated trial for Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes, the jury delivered a complicated verdict , which could make the appeals process tricky for her lawyers. The jury found Holmes guilty on four fraud counts, not guilty on four others, and they were deadlocked on three more. Lawyers tell the...
Juror Says It Was 'Tough to
Convict' the 'Likable' Holmes
Jan 5, 2022 8:23 AM CST
Juror Says It Was 'Tough to Convict' the 'Likable' Holmes
Still, juror No. 6 Wayne Kaatz says he and his peers didn't find Theranos founder very credible
- On Monday, the jury in the Elizabeth Holmes trial handed down guilty verdicts on four of the fraud and conspiracy charges against the Theranos founder, though it was a "tough" process, one of the jurors now reveals. Wayne Kaatz, aka Juror No. 6, tells ABC News that he and...
'End of an Era'
in Silicon Valley
Jan 4, 2022 2:37 AM CST
Elizabeth Holmes Verdict Marks 'End of an Era' in Silicon Valley
There is a price to pay for lying, some note in reaction to the verdict
- When Elizabeth Holmes was found guilty on four counts of fraud Monday , it "signaled the end of an era" in Silicon Valley, writes David Streitfeld at the
New York Times
. The tech startup world has long blurred the line between hype and actual achievement, but with the Theranos verdict,...
Holmes Jury Says It Is
Deadlocked on 3 Counts
Jan 3, 2022 2:17 PM CST
Holmes Jury Says It Is Deadlocked on 3 Counts
Judge tells them to keep deliberating
: The jury in the Elizabeth Holmes case was sent back to the deliberation room Monday after they told the judge they were deadlocked on three of the 11 fraud counts against the former Theranos CEO. The jurors—who began deliberations before Christmas—didn't say which of the counts...
Holmes Jury Won't
Have Verdict Before 2022
Dec 30, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Holmes Jury Won't Have Verdict Before 2022
Closed-door meeting suggests plea deal could be in the works for former Theranos CEO
- The jury weighing fraud charges against former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes departed court Wednesday without reaching a verdict after six days of deliberations. It won't resume discussions until after the upcoming New Year's holiday weekend. The eight men and four women on the jury had been expected to...
Theranos Investor Has
Unique Plan to Get Money Back
Dec 16, 2021 11:23 AM CST
Theranos Investor Has Unique Plan to Get Money Back
Marc Ostrofsky plans to sell an NFT of his otherwise worthless stock certificate
- Like a lot of Theranos investors, Marc Ostrofsky lost a hefty sum when the blood-testing company went broke. But Ostrofsky thinks he has a way to get his $150,000 back, and maybe even more. CNBC reports that he plans to sell his Series A stock certificate as a nonfungible...
Dec 8, 2021 6:40 PM CST
Holmes Ends Her Testimony With Denials
Defense rests, but closing arguments won't take place till Dec. 16
- The defense wrapped up its case in Elizabeth Holmes' trial Wednesday with her declaration that she didn't mislead investors in her blood tech startup—"Never," she said. "You understand they were entitled to truthful answers about Theranos' capabilities?" a prosecutor asked. "Of course," Holmes...
Again Struggles Under
Dec 8, 2021 3:11 AM CST
Elizabeth Holmes Again Struggles Under Cross-Examination
Theranos founder admits she gave journalist incorrect info
- Elizabeth Holmes was cross-examined again Tuesday in her fraud trial, and admitted under questioning from prosecutors that she gave journalist Roger Parloff incorrect information for his 2014
cover story on Theranos. Reading the statement from the article that Theranos offered 200 finger-prick blood tests and would soon offer more...
Dec 1, 2021 1:22 AM CST
Elizabeth Holmes Weeps Under Cross-Examination
Cross-examination will continue December 7
- One-time entrepreneur Elizabeth Holmes, under questioning by prosecutors, struggled Tuesday to recall key events that led to her facing criminal fraud charges for allegedly fleecing investors and customers of her failed blood-testing startup Theranos, the AP reports. Her cross-examination began the day after she shared painfully vivid memories of alleged...
Gives Graphic Testimony
Nov 30, 2021 12:32 AM CST
Elizabeth Holmes Gives Graphic Testimony
Says Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani abused her
- On Monday, Elizabeth Holmes testified to what her defense team has long hinted she would: abuse suffered at the hands of her ex-boyfriend, and the former president and chief operating officer of Theranos, Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani. Holmes said she got involved with Balwani shortly after being raped while studying...
Gives 'Stunning' Testimony
Nov 24, 2021 6:45 AM CST
Elizabeth Holmes Gives 'Stunning' Testimony
Admits she added Pfizer logo to Theranos reports without drugmaker's authorization
- It was Elizabeth Holmes herself who added the logos of drugmakers Pfizer and Schering-Plough to complimentary Theranos lab reports, the Theranos founder admitted during her third day on the stand at her criminal fraud trial. But, Holmes insisted, she didn't mean to mislead business partners or investors, some of...
Line to Hear
Testify Starts at 1am
Nov 23, 2021 2:00 AM CST
Line to Hear Elizabeth Holmes Testify Starts at 1am
Theranos founder talks about early days of doomed startup
- Elizabeth Holmes took the stand again Monday in her trial on charges of criminal fraud, and the Theranos founder talked about the early days of the blood-testing startup and appeared to try to connect with jurors. Responding to what the AP terms "friendly questions" from her defense team, Holmes...
At Elizabeth Holmes Trial, a
'Sudden,' Maybe Risky Move
Nov 20, 2021 7:30 AM CST
At Elizabeth Holmes Trial, a 'Sudden,' Maybe Risky Move
In 'surprising' development, defense team brings Theranos founder herself to the stand
- The criminal trial of Elizabeth Holmes is set to enter its 12th week, and it ended the 11th week with a "sudden and surprising move" by the defense, which started making its case Friday. To wit: The 37-year-old Theranos founder herself took the stand, striding "confidently" to the...
Combative Witness Emerges
in Elizabeth Holmes Trial
Nov 16, 2021 12:55 PM CST
Combative Witness Emerges in Elizabeth Holmes Trial
Defense attorney spars with jilted Theranos investor Alan Eisenman
- The fraud trial of Elizabeth Holmes is now in its second month, and this week saw the emergence of a colorful, combative witness. Things got so heated in court between Holmes attorney Kevin Downey and investor Alan Eisenman on Monday that the judge called for a "reset," reports...
Lab Chief Brought Issue to
Holmes, Got 'Implausible' Reply
Nov 10, 2021 9:03 AM CST
Lab Chief Brought Issue to Holmes, Got 'Implausible' Reply
Kingshuk Das testified on Tuesday
- "I found these instruments to be unsuitable for clinical use." It's probably not what Elizabeth Holmes would want to hear anyone saying about Theranos' proprietary Edison devices. But Kingshuk Das isn't anyone. He's Theranos' former lab director, and he made the statement Tuesday while testifying...
Rep Says Elizabeth Holmes
Conned Betsy DeVos' Family
Oct 27, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Rep Says Elizabeth Holmes Conned Betsy DeVos' Family
Wealthy clan doubled Theranos investment to $100M
- Former Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and her billionaire family were among the many people misled by Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes, a rep testified Tuesday. Lisa Peterson, who works on investments for the DeVos family, said she was asked to look into Theranos in 2014 after one of her bosses spoke...
Romance With 'Tiger'
Oct 6, 2021 2:54 PM CDT
Texts Expose Elizabeth Holmes' Romance With 'Tiger'
Theranos founder and Sunny Balwani met in 2002
- The trial of Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes involves a romance portion, with prosecutors diving into Holmes' longtime relationship with Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani. Holmes and Balwani, who himself faces fraud charges in a trial slated for early next year, met in a 2002 language-immersion session in China when they were...
At Elizabeth Holmes' Trial,
a Familiar but Unexpected Face
Sep 23, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
At Elizabeth Holmes' Trial, a Familiar but Unexpected Face
Ex-SecDef James Mattis testified that former Theranos CEO misled him on blood-testing tech
- Former US Secretary of Defense James Mattis testified Wednesday in the trial of fallen tech star Elizabeth Holmes, saying the entrepreneur misled him into believing she was on the verge of rolling out a blood-testing breakthrough that he hoped would help save lives of troops in battle. Mattis' appearance came...
Who Was 'Surprised,
Sep 22, 2021 1:58 AM CDT
Theranos Patient Who Was 'Surprised, Sad' Testifies
She's the first of a planned 11 patients to take the stand at Elizabeth Holmes' trial
- After receiving two blood test results from Theranos indicating she might be miscarrying, Brittany Gould discussed options for terminating the pregnancy with a nurse practitioner. But the test results were wrong, and Gould, who testified Tuesday at the criminal trial of former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes, ended up delivering a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Alicia Witt on Parents' Deaths: 'I Had No Idea' Heat Was Out
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.