Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suit: Billionaire Raped
Me at Epstein's Mansion
Nov 29, 2022 12:49 PM CST
Suit: Billionaire Raped Me at Epstein's Mansion
Cheri Pierson sues Apollo Global Management co-founder Leon Black, Epstein's estate
- A woman claims billionaire Leon Black raped her in a "brutal attack" at the Manhattan home of Jeffrey Epstein. In a lawsuit filed Monday, Cheri Pierson says she was "in desperate need of money" when she agreed to massage the co-founder and former CEO of Apollo Global Management...
Gives Girl Scouts
Its Biggest Gift Ever
Oct 18, 2022 11:41 AM CDT
MacKenzie Scott Gives Girl Scouts Its Biggest Gift Ever
Philanthropist donates more than $84M to group
- Philanthropist MacKenzie Scott donated $84.5 million to Girl Scouts of the USA and 29 of its local branches, the 110-year-old organization said Tuesday, calling it a vote of confidence. "Her support of our organization means honestly just as much as the donation," Sofia Chang, CEO of GSUSA,...
MacKenzie Scott Quietly
Files for Divorce
Sep 29, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
MacKenzie Scott Quietly Files for Divorce
Her second husband had disappeared from joint philanthropy efforts
MacKenzie Scott has indeed split with her second husband. The billionaire philanthropist, 52, filed for divorce from science teacher Dan Jewett on Monday after less than two years of marriage, reports CNN . The papers were filed in King County Superior Court in Washington state, though no further details were...
Have Had a
Rough Year. None
Sep 20, 2022 7:29 AM CDT
Tech Tycoons Have Had a Rough Year. None Like Zuckerberg
Meta CEO has hemorrhaged $71B since Jan. 1—more than half his wealth
- Don't worry, Mark Zuckerberg is still a billionaire—but he's lost many, many of those billions over the past several months. In what Bloomberg describes as a rough year for most tech billionaires, it's been an especially bumpy one for the Meta CEO: He's lost $71...
30-Year-Old on $20B Adobe
Deal: I'm Cool if It Falls Apart
in case you missed it
Sep 18, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
30-Year-Old on $20B Adobe Deal: I'm Cool if It Falls Apart
After stunning rise through Silicon Valley's ranks, Dylan Field sells Figma platform to tech giant
- When Dylan Field started work on the design-software startup Figma with former Brown classmate Evan Wallace, he hoped it would one day rival Adobe's Photoshop. This week, the 30-year-old arranged to sell his company to the larger one, and the payday will be "colossal" if the deal goes...
China's Richest Woman
Is Rapidly Getting Poorer
Jul 29, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
China's Richest Woman Is Rapidly Getting Poorer
Yang Hiuyan's $23.7B fortune has more than halved amid real estate crisis
- With an estimated fortune of $11.3 billion, China's richest woman isn't exactly short on cash—but the country's real estate crisis has made Yang Huiyan a lot poorer than she was at the start of the year. Bloomberg reports that Yang had an estimated $23.7...
'Eat the Rich' With Popsicles
Shaped Like Musk, Bezos
Jul 13, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
'Eat the Rich' With Popsicles Shaped Like Musk, Bezos
MSCHF artists collective has ice cream trucks in NYC, LA with the billionaire-shaped treats
- If you're in New York City or Los Angeles on Wednesday and want to work out your angst against capitalism, there's a frozen treat waiting for you, modeled after the world's richest men. Just stop by what's being deemed a "unique art pop-up" by CBS...
New Estate Sets
Jun 24, 2022 7:29 AM CDT
Billionaire's New Estate Sets Florida Record
It's not far from a property Larry Ellison purchased for $80M last year
- One of the world's richest people , billionaire Oracle founder Larry Ellison, has just dropped $173 million on new digs, setting a record for the largest residential sale in Florida history. And by a long shot. Previously, the state hadn't seen a home sell for more than $130 million,...
Walmart Heir Pays Record
Price for an NFL Team
Jun 8, 2022 9:24 AM CDT
Walmart Heir Pays Record Price for an NFL Team
Rob Walton will reportedly pony up $4.65B to buy the Denver Broncos
- Up until this week, the most an NFL team has ever sold for is $2.3 billion. That record just got shattered, however, by the news that Walmart heir Rob Walton, one of the world's richest men, has agreed to buy the Denver Broncos for twice that price. A...
Jun 2, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
LeBron James Gets His 'Biggest Milestone'
'Forbes' anoints him a billionaire, making him the first active NBA player to get there
- Eight years ago, LeBron James told
that he was chasing his "biggest milestone"—achieving billionaire status. Mission accomplished, according to
. The magazine now calculates James' worth to be $1 billion, making him the first active NBA player to reach the mark. Michael Jordan made the list...
Elon Musk: Don't Be Offended
by My Wealth. I Don't Spend It
Apr 20, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
Elon Musk: Don't Be Offended by My Wealth. I Don't Spend It
Tesla CEO says he doesn't consume like a billionaire
- If you begrudge Elon Musk his billions, take solace: He's not even spending all that money on himself. Like, not even on a villa, a mansion, or an apartment.
reports the world's richest person talked about his $275 billion fortune in an interview with the head...
Meet the 10 Richest
People in the World
Apr 5, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Meet the 10 Richest People in the World
You know many of them already, including Elon Musk at No. 1, per 'Forbes' annual billionaires ranking
is trying to make us feel bad for the world's billionaires, it's not really working. The magazine notes that, collectively, this group is now worth $400 billion less than they were a year ago, thanks to the ongoing pandemic, tepid markets, and war—but 1,000...
Billionaire's Uighur Remarks
Do Not Go Over Well
Jan 18, 2022 1:27 PM CST
Billionaire's Uighur Remarks Do Not Go Over Well
Chamath Palihapitiya walks back 'don't care' comments made on his podcast
- While discussing concerns over China's treatment of Uighurs, billionaire investor Chamath Palihapitiya didn't even feign interest. "The rest of us don't care," he said on Saturday's episode of his podcast, per CNBC . Palihapitiya said he had more important things to worry about than reports...
Oxfam Calls for One-Time
99% Tax on Billionaires
Jan 17, 2022 3:33 AM CST
Oxfam Calls for One-Time 99% Tax on Billionaires
Money would be used to expand production of vaccines for the poor, anti-poverty group says
- Anti-poverty organization Oxfam called Monday for governments to impose a one-time 99% tax on the world's billionaires and use the money to fund expanded production of vaccines for the poor—part of an effort to combat global inequality widened by the coronavirus pandemic, the AP reports. The ranks of...
Billionaire Gets 'Unprecedented
Lifetime Ban' on Antiquities
Dec 7, 2021 11:16 AM CST
Billionaire Gets 'Unprecedented Lifetime Ban' on Antiquities
Michael Steinhardt will face no charges over $70M in stolen items
- A New York billionaire will face no criminal charges after surrendering 180 antiquities worth $70 million, which authorities say were stolen from 11 countries. The items had been looted from Bulgaria, Egypt, Greece, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Syria and Turkey, and trafficked by 12 criminal smuggling networks before...
Frenzied Interpretations After
Musk Shares Ancient Poem
Nov 3, 2021 11:37 AM CDT
Frenzied Interpretations After Musk Shares Ancient Poem
There was no real context to the quoting of the Quatrain of Seven Steps
- Talking heads are trying to figure out what the world's richest man meant in tweeting lines from an ancient Chinese poem on Tuesday. Elon Musk caused a stir—on Twitter, where the Tesla and SpaceX CEO counts 62 million followers, and on Chinese social media site Weibo, where he...
Billionaire Sues Ex-Model
Who Accused Him of Rape
Oct 29, 2021 4:01 AM CDT
Billionaire Sues Ex-Model Who Accused Him of Rape
Leon Black accuses Guzel Ganieva, law firm of trying to extort him
- Billionaire financier Leon Black is suing a Russian former model he had a yearslong affair with, claiming her accusation of rape is part of a conspiracy against him. The 70-year-old, who stepped down as CEO of Apollo Global Management earlier this year over his links to Jeffrey Epstein, is suing...
Not Keen on
Oct 27, 2021 8:42 AM CDT
Guess Who's Not Keen on Dems' Billionaire Tax Plan?
Tesla/SpaceX CEO Elon Musk could see $5B in taxes over 5 years if the plan were put in place
- Under a new proposal unveiled by Democrats this week, America's richest of the rich would soon be helping to pay for President Biden's domestic agenda by paying taxes on unrealized gains on assets like stocks in their portfolio, whether or not they sell them. It was expected there'...
Frances Haugen's Fight
Has a Billionaire Backer
Oct 21, 2021 6:37 AM CDT
Frances Haugen's Fight Has a Billionaire Backer
EBay founder Pierre Omidyar's organizations are giving financial support to Facebook whistleblower
- Frances Haugen's fight against Facebook is receiving funding from a billionaire: tech critic and eBay founder Pierre Omidyar. Omidyar's global philanthropic organization Luminate gave $150,000 last year to nonprofit Whistleblower Aid, which is handling Haugen's legal representation , Politico reports. However, Whistleblower Aid is also seeking donations...
One Man Has Lost $27B
So Far This Year
Sep 17, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
One Man Has Lost $27B So Far This Year
China's Colin Huang has the world's biggest wealth drop in 2021
- Colin Huang is still a very rich man, estimated to be worth $35 billion by Bloomberg . But the founder of Chinese e-commerce business Pinduoduo also has the distinction of having lost more money this year than anyone else in the world—more than $27 billion. That is by far the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Musk's Surprise Friday Leak: 'The Twitter Files'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.