Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Frenzied Interpretations After
Musk Shares Ancient Poem
Nov 3, 2021 11:37 AM CDT
Frenzied Interpretations After Musk Shares Ancient Poem
There was no real context to the quoting of the Quatrain of Seven Steps
- Talking heads are trying to figure out what the world's richest man meant in tweeting lines from an ancient Chinese poem on Tuesday. Elon Musk caused a stir—on Twitter, where the Tesla and SpaceX CEO counts 62 million followers, and on Chinese social media site Weibo, where he...
Billionaire Sues Ex-Model
Who Accused Him of Rape
Oct 29, 2021 4:01 AM CDT
Billionaire Sues Ex-Model Who Accused Him of Rape
Leon Black accuses Guzel Ganieva, law firm of trying to extort him
- Billionaire financier Leon Black is suing a Russian former model he had a yearslong affair with, claiming her accusation of rape is part of a conspiracy against him. The 70-year-old, who stepped down as CEO of Apollo Global Management earlier this year over his links to Jeffrey Epstein, is suing...
Not Keen on
Oct 27, 2021 8:42 AM CDT
Guess Who's Not Keen on Dems' Billionaire Tax Plan?
Tesla/SpaceX CEO Elon Musk could see $5B in taxes over 5 years if the plan were put in place
- Under a new proposal unveiled by Democrats this week, America's richest of the rich would soon be helping to pay for President Biden's domestic agenda by paying taxes on unrealized gains on assets like stocks in their portfolio, whether or not they sell them. It was expected there'...
Frances Haugen's Fight
Has a Billionaire Backer
Oct 21, 2021 6:37 AM CDT
Frances Haugen's Fight Has a Billionaire Backer
EBay founder Pierre Omidyar's organizations are giving financial support to Facebook whistleblower
- Frances Haugen's fight against Facebook is receiving funding from a billionaire: tech critic and eBay founder Pierre Omidyar. Omidyar's global philanthropic organization Luminate gave $150,000 last year to nonprofit Whistleblower Aid, which is handling Haugen's legal representation , Politico reports. However, Whistleblower Aid is also seeking donations...
One Man Has Lost $27B
So Far This Year
Sep 17, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
One Man Has Lost $27B So Far This Year
China's Colin Huang has the world's biggest wealth drop in 2021
- Colin Huang is still a very rich man, estimated to be worth $35 billion by Bloomberg . But the founder of Chinese e-commerce business Pinduoduo also has the distinction of having lost more money this year than anyone else in the world—more than $27 billion. That is by far the...
It's a 'Major Milestone
in Human Spaceflight'
Sep 15, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
It's a 'Major Milestone in Human Spaceflight'
4 tourists, expected to launch Wednesday, will orbit Earth for 3 days
- Another billionaire is headed to space, this time with an all-civilian crew, in what CNN reports is the "first orbital mission in the history of spaceflight to be staffed entirely by tourists or otherwise non-astronauts." A retrofitted SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule dubbed Resilience will spend three days orbiting...
Billionaire Unveils Plans for
'Most Inclusive City in the World'
Sep 7, 2021 7:52 AM CDT
Billionaire Unveils Plans for 'Most Inclusive City in the World'
Marc Lore's Telosa, to be built in some US desert, will be a sustainable, 'equitable' metropolis
- He's helmed Jets.com and Diapers.com and served as a top Walmart exec. Now, billionaire and entrepreneur Marc Lore has a new project in the works, as long as he can pull together more than $400 billion. That's the amount the 50-year-old says he needs to build...
Business Ventures Have
Made Rihanna a Billionaire
Aug 4, 2021 12:33 PM CDT
Business Ventures Have Made Rihanna a Billionaire
Forbes says she's now the world's richest female musician
- Barbados-born star Rihanna now has a fortune bigger than the economies of some of her homeland's Caribbean neighbors.
reports that the 33-year-old is now officially a billionaire—and the world's richest female musician—with an estimated net worth of $1.7 billion. But while she has had...
Jul 29, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Billionaire Accused of 'Provoking Trouble' Gets 18 Years
Observers say case against Chinese pig farmer and dissident ally Sun Dawu is politically motivated
- It's been nearly nine months since Sun Dawu was arrested, and on Wednesday, the Chinese billionaire pig farmer heard his fate: 18 years behind bars, as well as a nearly $500,000 fine. Sun's crimes, per a Chinese court: "picking quarrels and provoking trouble," a charge...
Partner of Lord's Son
Charged With Killing Cop
Jun 1, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Partner of Lord's Son Charged With Killing Cop
Canada's Jasmine Hartin accused of accidentally shooting Belizean police officer in the head
- The daughter-in-law of a British-Belizean billionaire has been charged with shooting a police officer in the head in Belize. Jasmine Hartin—the wife of Lord Michael Ashcroft's youngest son, Andrew, himself a well-known property developer in Belize—was charged Monday with manslaughter by negligence in the death of police...
Remote Alaska Crash Kills
One of World's Richest Men
Mar 29, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Remote Alaska Crash Kills One of World's Richest Men
Petr Kellner, 56, of Czech Republic dies while on heli-skiing trip
- A crash in Alaska's backcountry during a Saturday heli-skiing trip claimed five lives, including that of the Czech Republic's richest man. The AP reports Petr Kellner, 56, had a 98.93% stake in the global investment company PPF Group and a net worth pegged at $17.5 billion;...
Guy to Join
Mar 11, 2021 8:23 AM CST
Warren Buffett Becomes 6th Guy to Join Elite Group
Berkshire Hathaway chair can now claim $100B to his name
- Tired: becoming a billionaire. Wired: entering the $100 billion club. Now in the latter category is Warren Buffett, who on Wednesday joined an elite group of five—Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, and LVMH Chair Bernard Arnault—who've been able to claim that benchmark amount in...
Want to Go on
to the Moon?
Mar 3, 2021 7:21 AM CST
Want to Go on SpaceX Flight to the Moon? He's Paying
Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa launches contest for 8 to ride with him to lunar orbit in 2023
- It's a Frank Sinatra song come to life, courtesy of a billionaire. In 2018, tycoon and art collector Yusaku Maezawa, founder of Japanese online fashion mall Zozotown, was announced as the first signed passenger aboard SpaceX's Starship rocket, set to fly to the moon sometime in 2023. At...
Billionaire Offers to End 'Petty'
$1M Fight. Foe Says Nope
in case you missed it
Dec 12, 2020 12:10 PM CST
Billionaire Offers to End 'Petty' $1M Fight. Foe Says Nope
It's all over an expensive lawn sculpture Pimco co-founder erected in his yard in Laguna Beach
- "I do not willingly back down from a fight," says billionaire Bill Gross, who's engaged in a legal battle with his Laguna Beach neighbor over a $1 million lawn sculpture. But even the Pimco co-founder says he's had enough of this "petty" disagreement amid a...
Teen YouTuber Totals
Dad's $3.4M Roadster
Nov 20, 2020 1:18 PM CST
Teen YouTuber Totals Dad's $3.4M Roadster
Gage Gillean reportedly hit a tree in Dallas on Tuesday, but he's OK
- It's a good thing YouTuber Gage Gillean's father is a billionaire because it may take a few million dollars to replace the rare sports car Gillean just wrecked. The 17-year-old son of private equity firm founder and car collector Tim Gillean was driving his father's custom-made purple...
It's a Very
Good Day for
Nov 17, 2020 7:37 AM CST
It's a Very Good Day for Elon Musk
Tesla CEO is about to become 3rd-richest person on the planet as his company joins S&P 500
- Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk is set to overtake Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg as the world's third-richest person on Tuesday. Tesla's stock closed just above $408 on Monday but jumped 14% in after-hours trading following news that the company will join the S&P 500 index on...
Trump Acknowledged a Debt
of $400M. It's Much Higher
Oct 16, 2020 11:54 AM CDT
Trump Acknowledged a Debt of $400M. It's Much Higher
But 'Forbes' also notes he has significant assets and has a net worth of $2.5B
- The subject of President Trump's debt surfaced at his town hall Thursday night, and he didn't deny a figure of $400 million raised by NBC's Savannah Guthrie. "It's a tiny percentage of my net worth," Trump said. "$400 million is a peanut,"...
Billionaire Charged in
$2B Tax Evasion Case
Oct 16, 2020 3:32 AM CDT
Billionaire Charged in $2B Tax Evasion Case
'We will not hesitate to prosecute the smartest guys in the room'
- Federal prosecutors charged Texas billionaire Robert Brockman on Thursday with a $2 billion tax fraud scheme in what they say is the largest such case against an American. Department of Justice officials said at a news conference that Brockman, 79, hid capital gains income over 20 years through a web...
Billionaire Barred From
Buying Himself Nice Things
Sep 16, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
Billionaire Barred From Buying Himself Nice Things
It's a 'humbling turn of events' for Chen Feng
- A life without first-class flights, luxury hotels, and weekends at the golf course. For most of us, that sounds like business as usual. For Chen Feng, it's "a humbling turn of events," reports the
New York Times
. Chen is both a billionaire and the co-founder and chairman...
Formerly 'Poor as Hell'
Tyler Perry Now a Billionaire
Sep 2, 2020 12:07 PM CDT
Formerly 'Poor as Hell' Tyler Perry Now a Billionaire
He says ownership made all the difference
- Tyler Perry, who grew up poor in New Orleans and spent much of the '90s as a penniless—and sometimes homeless—playwright, is now officially a billionaire. The 50-year-old actor and filmmaker has been added to the list of billionaires at
, which estimates he has made more than...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Great Barrier Reef Just 'Gave Birth'
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
Snowboarding Legend Dies in Filming Accident
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
Wrongfully Jailed at 18, He's Now a Millionaire
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.