Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Ukraine Suggests Chernobyl
Should Land on List of Wonders
Apr 26, 2021 3:21 PM CDT
Ukraine Suggests Chernobyl Should Land on List of Wonders
UNESCO designation could bring in tourists and spread a message of hope
- The Great Barrier Reef. The Grand Canyon. The Great Wall of China. The Galapagos Islands. Chernobyl. One of these things is not like the others, but the gap could close if Ukraine gets its way. Monday is the 35th anniversary of the worst nuclear disaster the world has seen: The...
Russia to Pull Troops
Back Near Ukraine,
Weapons to Remain
Apr 22, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Russia to Pull Troops Back Near Ukraine, Weapons to Remain
The heavy weapons will be used during military exercise later this year, per defense minister
- Russia's defense minister on Thursday ordered troops back to their permanent bases following massive drills in Crimea that involved 10,000 troops, 1,200 military vehicles, 200 warplanes, and 60 navy ships in a show of force amid tensions with Ukraine. "I consider the goals of the snap...
The Big Question in Ukraine:
What Exactly Is Russia Up To?
Apr 20, 2021 2:27 PM CDT
The Big Question in Ukraine: What Exactly Is Russia Up To?
There is a massive military buildup at the border
- The presence of Russian forces along Ukraine's borders is growing. So too is the speculation, reports the
New York Times
, which is quick to state that few in the West or in Ukraine believe Russia will actually invade eastern Ukraine, which has been the scene of a 7-year-long war...
Biden Has Another
Tense Call With Putin
Apr 13, 2021 6:17 PM CDT
Biden Has Another Tense Call With Putin
He urged Russian leader to 'de-escalate tensions' with Ukraine
- President Biden urged Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday to "de-escalate tensions" following a Russian military buildup on Ukraine's border in their second tense call of Biden's presidency. Biden also told Putin the US would "act firmly in defense of its national interests| regarding Russian cyber...
Mar 15, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
Couple's Breakup Solution: Handcuffs
These constantly bickering Ukrainians are definitely creative
- When Viktoria Pustovitova told Alexandr Kudlay she wanted to break up with him (again) after a relationship marred by constant fighting, Kudlay didn't write her a love poem, buy her flowers, or blast romantic ballads with a boom box outside her bedroom window. Instead, the 33-year-old Ukrainian had a...
What World Leaders Are
Saying About DC Violence
Jan 6, 2021 5:27 PM CST
What World Leaders Are Saying About DC Violence
'Disgraceful,' 'shocking,' and 'concerning'
- “Disgraceful." That’s Boris Johnson’s take on images of Trump supporters storming the US Capitol on Wednesday, according to the
. “The United States stands for democracy around the world and it is now vital that there should be a peaceful and orderly transfer of power,...
A Life Bookended By
the Holocaust and a Pandemic
Jan 4, 2021 4:26 PM CST
A Life Bookended By the Holocaust and a Pandemic
A survivor says she is losing time to tell her story
- Toby Levy lost her teenage years to the Holocaust, hiding in a barn in what was then Chodorow, Poland. Nine people lived in a 4-by-5 space, not knowing if each day was their last, unable to make any noise, often unable to even look outside. Now, at 87, Levy is...
Another World Leader
Tests Positive for COVID
Nov 9, 2020 12:19 PM CST
Another World Leader Tests Positive for COVID
'It's gonna be fine,' says Ukrainian president
- Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky is the latest world leader to test positive for COVID-19. The 42-year-old confirmed the diagnosis Monday and said he plans to self-isolate, Fox reports. "Despite all the quarantine measures, I received a positive test. I feel good & take a lot of vitamins,"...
Battle Is Over Borscht
Oct 22, 2020 5:35 PM CDT
New Ukraine-Russia Battle Is Over Borscht
Ukraine wants UNESCO to recognize dish as 'intangible cultural heritage'
- While it may not rival the intractable hummus conflicts of the Middle East or the battles over baklava from Greece to Iran, a borscht dispute is simmering between Ukraine and Russia. Kyiv chef Yevhen Klopotenko has spearheaded an effort to have the beloved beet soup recognized as Ukraine's "...
Oct 16, 2020 6:53 AM CDT
Reports: Trump Knew Russian Assets Were Using Giuliani
US intelligence found Giuliani was the target of a Russian intelligence operation in Ukraine
- US intelligence agencies warned the White House that Rudy Giuliani was the target of a Russian intelligence operation, and had contact with Russian assets, while in Ukraine last year, according to reports from the
New York Times
. Giuliani visited the country in December seeking information he thought...
Oct 15, 2020 1:38 PM CDT
Controversy Widens Over
Story on Bidens
Senate panel plans to subpoena Twitter CEO over restrictions on story
- The controversy over a
New York Post
story about Joe and Hunter Biden is apparently not going to fade quickly. The Senate Judiciary Committee plans to vote next week to subpoena Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey over the site's decision to restrict tweets and retweets about the story, reports the...
Biden Campaign Feuds
New York Post
Oct 15, 2020 1:07 AM CDT
Biden Campaign Feuds With
New York Post
Over candidate's involvement, or lack thereof, in son's business dealings with Ukraine
New York Post
on Wednesday alleged that Joe Biden was directly involved with son Hunter Biden's business dealings with Ukrainian energy company Burisma Holdings, and the presidential candidate was quick to hit back at the tabloid. The
citing emails it obtained (apparently from a computer repair store...
American Woman Who Worked
at Embassy Killed in Ukraine
Oct 1, 2020 1:15 AM CDT
American Woman Who Worked at Embassy Killed in Ukraine
Jogging death suspected to be the result of an attack
- An American woman who worked for the US embassy in Ukraine was killed while jogging in the capital city of Kyiv Wednesday. Sources tell the Guardian the woman had a non-diplomatic job and was married to a US foreign service officer. She was found unconscious with a head injury near...
26 Dead, One Survivor in
Fiery Crash of Military Plane
Sep 26, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
26 Dead, One Survivor in Fiery Crash of Military Plane
Just one survivor after accident Friday night in Chuhuiv, Ukraine
- Searchers combing the area where a Ukrainian military aircraft crashed found two more bodies Saturday, bringing the death toll to 26. The plane, a twin-turboprop Antonov AN-26 belonging to the Ukrainian air force, was carrying a crew of seven and 20 cadets from a military aviation school when it crashed...
Fly Over Biden
to the GOP'
Aug 1, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Accusations Fly Over Biden Materials 'Sent to the GOP'
And that's not the only alleged threat to the 2020 election
- As the Nov. 3 presidential vote nears, there are fresh signs that the nation’s electoral system is again under attack from foreign adversaries, the AP reports. Intelligence officials confirmed in recent days that foreign actors are actively seeking to compromise the private communications of "US political campaigns, candidates...
Hostage Crisis Ends After PM
Asks People to Watch Film
Jul 21, 2020 4:49 PM CDT
Hostage Crisis Ends After PM Asks People to Watch Film
Ukraine gunman seized bus
- An "unstable" armed man who seized more than a dozen hostages on a long-distance bus in the western Ukraine city of Lutsk was detained late Tuesday after a standoff that lasted for over 12 hours and all hostages were freed unharmed, officials said. At one point during the standoff,...
Here's What Ousted
Has to Say About Trump
Apr 6, 2020 4:14 AM CDT
Here's What Ousted Intelligence Official Has to Say About Trump
Michael Atkinson says he was fired for doing his job in reporting whistleblower complaint
- The ousted inspector general of the intelligence community says he is “disappointed and saddened” that President Trump fired him, but he also encouraged other inspectors general to continue to speak out when they are aware of wrongdoing, the AP reports. Trump notified Congress late Friday that he intended to...
'Bad News' on Radiation as
Fire Burns Near Chernobyl
Apr 6, 2020 2:03 AM CDT
'Bad News' on Radiation as Fire Burns Near Chernobyl
Radiation spikes near the forest fire
- Two forest fires were still burning near the Chernobyl nuclear power station as of Sunday night, and radiation levels in the area were said to be substantially higher than normal, the AP reports. "There is bad news—radiation is above normal in the fire’s center," said the...
He Defied Trump
Apr 4, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
He Defied Trump on Ukraine Complaint. Now, a Dismissal
President Trump has fired Intelligence Community IG Michael Atkinson
- He alerted Congress to an intel official's complaint about Trump's July 25 phone call to the Ukrainian president, which jump-started the probe that led to the president's impeachment. Now, Michael Atkinson, the inspector general of the Intelligence Community, is out of a job. Politico , the AP , and...
His Mind on
Mar 6, 2020 2:23 PM CST
Romney Changes His Mind on Hunter Biden
He will vote for subpoena, paving way for investigation
- Despite his misgivings, Sen. Mitt Romney has decided to vote next week to subpoena records about Hunter Biden's employment for a Ukrainian energy company. As recently as Thursday, Romney had said the Senate Homeland Security Committee shouldn't be investigating Joe Biden's son, Politico reports. A Romney spokeswoman...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Family Dies in 'Heartbreaking Tragedy' at Canadian Border
Mitch McConnell Contrasts Black Voters, American Voters
British Doctor Visiting US Shot Dead in Bed
Meat Loaf Dead at 74
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.