Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
At This Eatery, a Grubhub
Order Stopped Workers Cold
in case you missed it
Jun 26, 2022 3:55 PM CDT
At This Eatery, a Grubhub Order Stopped Workers Cold
Cops say hostage was rescued after writing on her order: 'Please call the police'
- Usually in the "additional instructions" field on Grubhub orders, customers specify food allergies or ask for extra condiments. Cops say for one New York City-area woman, that section on the app became a place to plead for help, and helped lead to her rescue. ABC7 reports that an order...
11-Year-Old Walking With
Her Family Shot in Bronx
May 17, 2022 9:34 AM CDT
11-Year-Old Walking With Her Family Shot in Bronx
Girl was shot as 2 people on a motorized scooter chased a man running down the sidewalk
- A "senseless" shooting has claimed the life of an 11-year-old girl in New York City after a stray bullet hit her during a chase among strangers. CBS New York reports on the Monday afternoon shooting, which took place in the Longwood neighborhood of the Bronx around 5pm as the...
After Disaster, Cardi B Gives
Back to Her Native Bronx
Jan 19, 2022 4:26 PM CST
After Disaster, Cardi B Gives Back to Her Native Bronx
'WAP' singer covers funeral costs for 17 fire victims
- Love her or hate her, Grammy winner Cardi B cares about her hometown. The rapper/singer of "WAP" fame is covering funeral costs for the 17 people killed in a Bronx fire on Jan. 9, the
New York Daily News
reports. Cardi B, a 29-year-old native of the Bronx, is...
Woman Says Stranger
Saved Young Daughter
in Bronx Blaze
Jan 10, 2022 3:09 PM CST
Woman Says Stranger Saved Young Daughter in Bronx Blaze
Official revise death toll to 17
- The death toll was lowered from 19 to 17 Monday in New York City's deadliest fire in more than 30 years—but with some survivors fighting for their lives in city hospitals, officials warn that the toll could rise again. Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said Monday that the toll...
Door Was Left Open as They
Fled Fire. Devastation Ensued
Jan 10, 2022 1:36 AM CST
Door Was Left Open as They Fled Fire. Devastation Ensued
Electric heater in bedroom started Bronx blaze, and smoke spread through building
- A malfunctioning electric space heater in a bedroom caused the devastating fire that left at least 19 dead, including nine children, in a high-rise apartment building in the Bronx Sunday morning. The fire, New York's deadliest in three decades, started in a duplex unit spanning the second and third...
19 Killed, 9 of Them Kids, in
Bronx Apartment Building Blaze
Jan 9, 2022 3:51 PM CST
19 Killed, 9 of Them Kids, in Bronx Apartment Building Blaze
Deadliest fire in NYC in three decades
- A New York City apartment building fire has killed at least 19 people—including nine children—Sunday morning. The fire in the 120-unit building in the Bronx is the deadliest fire in the city in about 30 years, and the deadliest in a residential building in the US since 2017,...
Man's Attempt to Jump
NYC Subway Turnstile Kills Him
Jan 3, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Man's Attempt to Jump NYC Subway Turnstile Kills Him
Police say the 28-year-old landed on his head, breaking his neck
- A cautionary tale out of New York City, where police say a 28-year-old man's attempt to avoid paying subway fare ended up killing him. The
New York Post
reports the man allegedly jumped the subway turnstile at the Forest Hills-71st Avenue station in Queens around 6:45am Sunday but...
at Bronx Zoo
Been Her 2nd
Nov 12, 2021 4:15 PM CST
Woman's Stunt at Bronx Zoo May Have Been Her 2nd
Police are seeking trespasser who climbed over barrier at lion exhibit, much like incident in 2019
- An incident at the Bronx Zoo this week was reminiscent of one that took place about two years ago in the same spot—and it looks like it may have been a stunt pulled off by the same perpetrator. NBC News reports that at around 4pm on Thursday, a blonde...
Cops: Dad Grabbed Gun,
Opened Fire After
NYPD Shot Son
Aug 31, 2021 2:28 AM CDT
Cops: Dad Grabbed Gun, Opened Fire After NYPD Shot Son
Son ended up dead, father hit with multiple charges
- A Sunday morning shootout ended with a son dead and a father arrested after he allegedly grabbed the gun his dying son had been holding when he was shot by police. The Bronx incident started when Mike Rosado, 24, and his father Raphael Rosado, 45, who were celebrating outside a...
13-Year-Old Fatally Shot
in Bronx Gang Dispute
Jul 12, 2021 8:48 AM CDT
13-Year-Old Fatally Shot in Bronx Gang Dispute
Police say Jaryan Elliot, who was standing outside a cafe, was the intended target
- Police say a gang dispute resulted in a fatal shooting in the Bronx on Sunday afternoon, with the victim's age causing double-takes. Jaryan Elliot was only 13, reports WABC-TV . NYPD Chief Rodney Harrison tweeted that Jaryan was the "intended target." Police and witnesses say a gunman emerged...
Files Lawsuit Over
Jun 22, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Trump Organization Files Lawsuit Over Golf Course
New York City canceled company's contract
- The Trump Organization sued New York City on Monday for cancelling its contract to run a golf course in the Bronx earlier this year, a move it said was politically motivated and should be reversed. The lawsuit, filed in state court, says nothing in the 566-page contract gave New York...
In NYC, 'Truly
of Attacks Over
Apr 26, 2021 6:27 AM CDT
In NYC, 'Truly Shocking' Series of Attacks Over the Weekend
Video footage suggests same suspect carried out attacks against 4 Bronx synagogues
- Four New York City synagogues, all in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, were attacked over the weekend, pelted by rocks in what police say may have been hate crimes. NYPD Detective Francis Sammon tells CNN that the six attacks—two each against the Riverdale Jewish Center and Chabad Lubavitch,...
Late-Night Bus Ride
Turns Terrifying in NYC
Jan 15, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Late-Night Bus Ride Turns Terrifying in NYC
9 injured after MTA vehicle plunged 50 feet off overpass toward Cross Bronx Expressway
- It was supposed to make a left, but instead, the bus went over a bridge. The
New York Daily News
reports on Thursday's frightening crash at around 11pm in the Bronx borough of New York City, when an MTA bus smashed through the barriers of an overpass and fell...
NYPD Seeks Woman Who
Mugged 85-Year-Old for $7
Nov 23, 2020 6:05 PM CST
NYPD Seeks Woman Who Mugged 85-Year-Old for $7
Victim was hospitalized after Saturday attack
- The New York Police Department is appealing for the public's help in finding a woman who violently mugged an 85-year-old man on a street in the Bronx on Saturday morning. Surveillance video released by police shows the woman, who appears to be in her 20s, going through the victim'...
He Was Waiting for a Bus in
NYC. Then, a Horrifying Plunge
Oct 30, 2020 7:04 AM CDT
He Was Waiting for a Bus in NYC. Then, a Horrifying Plunge
Leonard Shoulders is 'traumatized' after falling into sinkhole full of rats in the Bronx
- Yes, 2020 has been a disaster so far, but at least for most of us, "sinkhole full of rats" wasn't also part of the narrative. Leonard Shoulders, however, can't say the same. The
notes that although New York City is "used to tall tales of...
AOC on Judge's Detention
Jun 8, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
AOC on Judge's Detention Ruling: 'Unconstitutional'
Ocasio-Cortez: NYPD detaining arrestees for more than 24 hours without charges
- On Thursday, a Manhattan judge issued a ruling affecting the NYPD and protests in New York City, and AOC is pushing back. Per Law & Crime , Criminal Court Judge James Burke granted the police department's request to allow for the detention of arrestees in Manhattan, the Bronx, and Brooklyn...
NYC Steps Up
Apr 10, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
NYC Steps Up Mass Burials
Hart Island sees 'drastic' rise in interments as morgues are cleared for virus victims
- More than 5,000 people have died in New York City from the coronavirus, and it looks like some of them may be headed to what the
New York Daily News
calls the "Island of the Dead." Hart Island, located off the Bronx and run by the...
Police Union Says It's
at War With de Blasio
Feb 10, 2020 5:05 PM CST
After Shootings, Police Union Says It's at War With de Blasio
Suspect is charged in both Bronx attacks
- A New York City police union blamed the shootings of two officers over the weekend on Bill de Blasio and said it's "declaring war" on the mayor. "We do not respect you, DO NOT visit us in hospitals," the union tweeted . "You sold the NYPD...
Man Talks to
Police in Van, Shoots
Feb 9, 2020 9:25 AM CST
Man Talks to Police in Van, Shoots
Officer survives what officials call 'an assassination attempt'
- A New York police officer was wounded Saturday night while sitting in a marked patrol van in the Bronx with another officer. A man walked up to the driver's side of the van and asked for help finding an address, police said. The van was starting to pull away...
NYC Man Killed in $1
Christmas Eve Robbery
Dec 29, 2019 8:44 AM CST
NYC Man Killed in $1 Christmas Eve Robbery
60-year-old man was defending husband against 6 men
- Juan Fresnada was walking in the Bronx with his husband, Bayron Caceras, on Christmas Eve when six men approached and demanded money. When the pair refused, ABC News reports that the men attacked, knocking Fresnada to the ground and beating him badly before making off with all of one dollar....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
'We Literally Witness His Neck Break' in Police Van
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.