Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Elizabeth Holmes Trial Proves
Boys' Club Is Alive and Well
Sep 16, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Trial Proves Boys' Club Is Alive and Well
Ellen Pao wonders why male tech execs accused of fraud aren't held to same standard
- Ellen Pao thinks Elizabeth Holmes should be held accountable for her actions as CEO of the not-quite-what-it-appeared Theranos blood-testing company. But in an essay at the
New York Times
, Pao writes that something else is true in regard to Holmes' ongoing trial: It "can be sexist to hold her...
They Had Every Right to Use
the Gym. He Didn't Think So
May 28, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
They Had Every Right to Use the Gym. He Didn't Think So
White CEO in Minneapolis loses office lease after video shows him calling 911 on black entrepreneurs
- One of the perks of using an office space via WeWork in Minneapolis' MoZaic East complex is that you get to take advantage of the site's amenities, including its gym. But, per the Hill , a group of black entrepreneurs who've owned a business in the building for a...
Erstwhile Buyer Over
Apr 8, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
WeWork Sues Erstwhile Buyer Over 'Buyer's Remorse'
Claims investor worked to ensure conditions of stock takeover wouldn't be met
- WeWork is suing the Japanese bank that offered to save it from insolvency before backing out of a $3 billion stock takeover . In a lawsuit filed Tuesday, the special committee of WeWork's board said SoftBank and CEO Masayoshi Son took "desperate" actions to back out of the tender...
Now an 'Ex-Billionaire'
Apr 3, 2020 11:22 AM CDT
WeWork Founder Now an 'Ex-Billionaire'
SoftBank pulls out of $3B stock takeover, a big blow to Adam Nuemann
- SoftBank's cold feet apparently became frozen. WeWork's largest investor announced Thursday that it was backing out of a deal to buy $3 billion in shares of the communal office-space startup, including some $970 million worth from founder and former CEO Adam Neumann. SoftBank said it was "fully...
May Not Get
His Mega Payday
Mar 18, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
WeWork's Founder May Not Get His Mega Payday
SoftBank is reconsidering $3B stock takeover deal
- The co-founder of troubled communal office space startup WeWork may not get his billion-dollar parachute after all. SoftBank, the Japanese conglomerate that was planning to bail out of the company by buying $3 billion in WeWork shares from current shareholders—including almost $1 billion of co-founder Adam Neumann's shares—...
Had an 'Exit Plan.'
Then the Door Closed
Nov 22, 2019 12:19 PM CST
WeWork's CEO Had an 'Exit Plan.' Then the Door Closed
Inside the rise and fall of WeWork
- A little more than a year before Adam Neumann was ousted as WeWork's CEO and exited very, very rich , he thought he was about to become very, very,
rich. As Gabriel Sherman writes in a lengthy piece for
, Neumann had what Sherman terms an "escape...
SoftBank Just Took
Massive $6.5B Bath
Over WeWork, Uber
Nov 6, 2019 7:37 AM CST
SoftBank Just Took Massive $6.5B Bath Over WeWork, Uber
CEO Masayoshi Son: 'There was a problem with my own judgment' on WeWork, Uber investments
- SoftBank took a gamble on WeWork and Uber—and it just took a $6.5 billion quarterly operating loss, Bloomberg reports, its first in 14 years. The Japanese's firm's CEO is coming out of the situation both pensive and "defiant," per the
New York Times
to Get $1.7B Parachute
Oct 22, 2019 12:09 PM CDT
WeWork Founder to Get $1.7B Parachute
SoftBank will take over the troubled communal office-space startup
Wall Street Journal
reports SoftBank Group Corp. has reached a deal to take control of WeWork, the communal office-space startup recently beset by problems. WeWork's board approved the deal, which would give co-founder Adam Neumann, who stepped down as CEO but remains on the board, $1.7 billion....
WeWork Pulls 2.3K 'Toxic'
Phone Booths Out of Service
Oct 15, 2019 6:53 AM CDT
WeWork Pulls 2.3K 'Toxic' Phone Booths Out of Service
Insiders say troubled firm plans round of layoffs
- The problems are piling up for WeWork: The shared workspace company informed tenants Monday that it has closed 2,300 phone booths at 223 sites in the US and Canada after detecting high levels of a cancer-causing chemical, reports Reuters . The company says it began testing for formaldehyde after a...
WeWork CEO Steps Down
Sep 24, 2019 4:54 PM CDT
WeWork CEO Steps Down
Adam Neumann will remain on company's board
- WeWork's charismatic but controversial CEO is stepping aside from the communal office-space company he founded, another moment of reckoning between the fast-growing startup and its disenchanted investors. The New York-based company said Tuesday that Adam Neumann will be replaced by two co-CEOs: Artie Minson, formerly co-president and chief financial...
Report: WeWork Directors
Want to Oust Eccentric CEO
Sep 23, 2019 5:11 AM CDT
Report: WeWork Directors Want to Oust Eccentric CEO
Adam Neumann could be pushed out Monday
- Directors at office-sharing company WeWork are considering kicking eccentric co-founder Adam Neumann out of the CEO's office, insiders say. Sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
that a group of directors—including some linked to Japanese conglomerate SoftBank, the company's biggest investor—want him ousted to salvage an IPO...
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.