Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Juul to Pay $438.5M to
Settle Teen Vaping Probe
Sep 6, 2022 3:20 PM CDT
Juul to Pay $438.5M to Settle Teen Vaping Probe
33 states were investigating the marketing of its high-nicotine vaping products
- Electronic cigarette maker Juul Labs has agreed to pay nearly $440 million to settle a two-year investigation by 33 states into the marketing of its high-nicotine vaping products, which have long been blamed for sparking a national surge in teen vaping. Connecticut Attorney General William Tong announced the deal Tuesday...
Have to Pull
Its E-Cigs Yet
Jul 6, 2022 12:29 AM CDT
Juul Actually Doesn't Have to Pull Its E-Cigs Yet
FDA temporarily suspends its order banning the products
- The Food and Drug Administration issued an administrative stay Tuesday on the order it issued last month for vaping company Juul to pull its electronic cigarettes from the market. The agency said on Twitter that the stay temporarily suspends the marketing denial order while it conducts further review, but does...
FDA to Juul: Pull Your
E-Cigs Off the Market
Jun 23, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
FDA to Juul: Pull Your E-Cigs Off the Market
Decision is a major blow to the vaping company
This summary has been updated to reflect the FDA decision.
The FDA on Thursday ordered Juul to take its e-cigs and other products off the market in the US, reports the
New York Times
, which describes it as a "profoundly damaging blow" to the company. The agency found...
Elizabeth Holmes Trial Proves
Boys' Club Is Alive and Well
Sep 16, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Trial Proves Boys' Club Is Alive and Well
Ellen Pao wonders why male tech execs accused of fraud aren't held to same standard
- Ellen Pao thinks Elizabeth Holmes should be held accountable for her actions as CEO of the not-quite-what-it-appeared Theranos blood-testing company. But in an essay at the
New York Times
, Pao writes that something else is true in regard to Holmes' ongoing trial: It "can be sexist to hold her...
Aug 23, 2021 7:55 PM CDT
FDA Decisions Near on E-Cigarettes
Agency has deadline next month for approving companies' product applications
- E-cigarette manufacturers soon will learn whether they're out of business, still in the market but facing new government controls, or back in in a big way. The companies were given a choice last year: pull their vaping products or seek Food and Drug Administration approval for them. More than...
Ahead of Major Trial,
an E-Cig Maker Settles
Jun 28, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Ahead of Major Trial, an E-Cig Maker Settles
Juul will pay North Carolina $40M over allegations it went after teens in ads
- Remember when Juul was everywhere, and all the kids thought it was cool? So does the state of North Carolina, which sued the vape pod company in 2019. Now, Juul has agreed to pay $40 million over six years to settle that lawsuit just before it was set to go...
Juul Wants People to Vape,
but Not at Its Own Office
Dec 30, 2019 4:44 PM CST
Juul Wants People to Vape, but Not at Its Own Office
Wall Street Journal reports that workers won't stop, despite company crackdown
- An odd story about Juul and vaping is in the news Monday: The
Wall Street Journal
reports that the company is in the unusual position of trying to convince its own workers to stop vaping at the office. However, Juul is apparently not having much luck on that front. “...
Minnesota Is Suing Juul
Dec 5, 2019 12:02 AM CST
Minnesota Is Suing Juul
'They have deceived and misled Minnesota consumers of all ages'
- Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison sued Juul Labs on Wednesday, accusing the e-cigarette maker of unlawfully targeting young people with its products to get a new generation addicted to nicotine. The lawsuit filed in Hennepin County District Court in Minneapolis seeks to force Juul to stop marketing to young people;...
After Troublesome Year,
Juul Makes a 'Right-Size' Move
Nov 12, 2019 11:22 AM CST
After Troublesome Year, Juul Makes a 'Right-Size' Move
E-cigarette maker will slash 16% of its workforce, per a company official
- Due to the public's "lack of trust" in the vaping industry, Juul cut four of its fruit- and dessert-flavored products last month. Now, confirming rumors from last month, the e-cigarette maker says it will cut 650 jobs, or about 16% of its workforce, reports the
Wall Street Journal
After New Study,
No More Mint
Nov 7, 2019 5:30 PM CST
After New Study, No More Mint
Juul will sell only menthol and tobacco flavors
- Juul Labs said Thursday it will halt US sales of its best-selling, mint-flavored electronic cigarettes as it struggles to survive a nationwide backlash against vaping. The voluntary step comes days after new government research showed that Juul is the top brand among high schoolers who use e-cigarettes and that many...
Ex-Juul Official Makes
Huge Claim in Lawsuit
Oct 30, 2019 7:00 PM CDT
Ex-Juul Official Makes Huge Claim in Lawsuit
Siddharth Breja says the company sold a million contaminated nicotine pods
- Looks like Juul's lawyers won't be sleeping much tonight. A former executive at the e-cigarette company says Juul sold a million contaminated nicotine pods and fired him for complaining about it, BuzzFeed reports. Siddharth Breja, ex-senior vice president for global finance, made the allegations in a Tuesday lawsuit...
Bending to Pressure,
Juul Cuts 4 Products
Oct 17, 2019 3:47 PM CDT
Bending to Pressure, Juul Cuts 4 Products
The e-cigarette brand responds to people's 'lack of trust' in the industry
- Juul Labs stopped selling fruit and dessert flavors Thursday, acknowledging the public's "lack of trust" in the vaping industry, the AP reports. The voluntary step is the company's latest attempt to weather a growing political backlash blaming its flavored-nicotine products for hooking a generation of teenagers on...
Juul Honcho Is
Out as Ads Halt
Sep 25, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Juul Honcho Is Out as Ads Halt
Company says it won't lobby against proposed ban on some e-cigarettes
- E-cigarette maker Juul has a new face at the helm with the vaping industry falling under greater scrutiny. The company announced Wednesday that CEO Kevin Burns will be replaced by KC Crosthwaite, who currently serves as senior vice president for chief strategy and growth at tobacco giant Altria, reports the...
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.