Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
In This Long Island Town,
an 'Unusual 911 Call'
Apr 4, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
In This Long Island Town, an 'Unusual 911 Call'
Police help rescue baby seal from Southampton traffic circle
- Police in an East End town on Long Island received what LongIsland.com deems a most "unusual 911 call" over the weekend. Sgt. Jim Cavanagh of the Southampton Town Police Department tells CNN a seal was spotted on Sunday by residents, sliding through a parking lot in the hamlet...
Fans Stepped Up for
Betty White's Birthday Challenge
Jan 23, 2022 2:25 PM CST
Fans Stepped Up for Betty White's Birthday Challenge
Call to action encouraged fans to donate to animal rights causes in her name
Betty White's fans stepped up big time. The "Betty White challenge" called for fans of the late actress to donate to animal shelters and rescues on what would have been her 100th birthday, and
reports those donations added up to at least $12.7 million. That'...
Drone Saves Dog
With a Twist
Jan 21, 2022 8:06 AM CST
Drone Saves Dog From Drowning, With a Twist
Rescuers dangled sausage from the drone
- Police officers, firefighters and other rescuers failed to wrangle an escaped dog, eventually spotted on dangerous tidal flats in Havant, England, over two days last week. "It began to look perilous for Millie the jack russell-whippet cross" who'd escaped from her owner during a walk on Jan. 13....
They Tried to
Corral a Loose Dog.
He Led Them to This
in case you missed it
Jan 9, 2022 12:35 PM CST
They Tried to Corral a Loose Dog. He Led Them to This
Tinsley credited with helping bring police to a crash site
- Bring on the Lassie comparisons: A Vermont man credits his dog for coming to his rescue, and officials are praising the dog as well. Tinsley, a 1-year-old Shiloh Shepherd, was seen running loose on I-89's Veterans Memorial Bridge at the Vermont-New Hampshire line on Monday, say New Hampshire State...
Missing Dog Found on
Ledge 50 Yards Above Creek
Dec 14, 2021 9:29 PM CST
Missing Dog Found on Ledge 50 Yards Above Creek
She was reunited with owners after daring rescue
- A dog missing for two weeks in Colorado was rescued from a ledge about 50 yards above a creek and is now back home, the AP reports. The Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region says that after it received a call about a dog stuck on a cliff overlooking...
Swims 1.8K Miles
to New Zealand
Nov 12, 2021 8:42 AM CST
Antarctic Penguin Swims 1.8K Miles to New Zealand
And after some rest and a fish smoothie, 'Pingu' was returned to the water
- Harry Singh thought he'd discovered a child's toy on a beach on New Zealand's South Island. Then it moved its head. What he'd actually found was a tired Adélie penguin, which had the BBC reports apparently traveled some 1,800 miles from its home on...
of La Palma Dogs
Is a Head-Scratcher
Oct 23, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mystery Rescue of La Palma Dogs Is a Head-Scratcher
'The dogs are fine,' said sign left behind by 'A Team,' ahead of drone meant to save them
- A drone operation was set to rescue several dogs from the Spanish island of La Palma, where they've been stranded in a yard surrounded by lava after a volcano eruption that's been going on for more than a month. There'd even been a test run that went...
Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Oct 20, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
On Lava-Covered Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Drone will swoop in to try to save several dogs trapped in yard on La Palma
- It's a precarious mission in Spain's Canary Islands, one that will require "calm and concentration," but the drone is ready. So says Aerocamaras, the company that will try to rescue several dogs trapped in a yard by lava on La Palma, where a volcano eruption that...
Binx the Cat
Found 16 Days
Jul 10, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Binx the Cat Found 16 Days After Surfside Condo Collapse
'A small piece of good news': Kitty has been reunited with family
- In what WSVN calls a "miracle" for one of the families affected by the tragedy in Surfside, Fla., a cat that lived in Champlain Towers South has been found alive, more than two weeks after the condo collapsed. "After 16 long and extremely difficult days, I'm happy...
2 Weird Animal Rescues
Involve a Parrot and a Cat
May 18, 2021 8:50 AM CDT
2 Weird Animal Rescues Involve a Parrot and a Cat
Just another day at the office for fire crews
- Two new entries in the annals of unusual animal rescues:
Firefighters in Florida were called to rescue a cat—not out of a tree, but from the undercarriage of a car owned by New York Giants cornerback Isaac Yiadom, per the AP . Rescue workers responded to Yiadom's
Strangers Take Injured Bird
From Maryland to Georgia
May 17, 2021 1:57 PM CDT
Strangers Take Injured Bird From Maryland to Georgia
A young, seriously injured pigeon has a shot at a happy life
- Pigeons have been carrying things around for people for ages. Some kind humans got a chance to return the favor recently by banding together in a frantic relay race to carry an injured bird to safety. It all started when Mel Tillery saw someone trying to shoo a "really...
Rescuers Save Elephant
That Fell Into Well
Nov 23, 2020 11:05 AM CST
Rescuers Save Elephant That Fell Into Well
They needed a crane, though
- Rescuing someone who falls into a well is difficult enough. But rescuing an elephant? Authorities in southern India managed the feat when the animal fell into a well about 50 feet deep, reports NPR . It took 12 hours and three main steps: using pipes to pump out some of the...
Rescue Group Refuses CDC's
Order to Return Puppies
Sep 29, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Rescue Group Refuses CDC's Order to Return Puppies
French bulldogs were found neglected in Chicago airport warehouse
- An animal rescue group that took in 15 French bulldog puppies found, neglected and in poor health, in an O'Hare International Airport warehouse says it will not return the puppies to the Middle East. A truck driver discovered the puppies in crowded crates, bleeding from their paws, with burn...
Officer Used His Phone
to Lure Escaped Peacock
May 12, 2020 7:24 PM CDT
Officer Used His Phone to Lure Escaped Peacock
Boston officer found a mating call
- Turns out you're not the only one desperate to break out of your home environment these days. A peacock named Snowbank fled Boston's Franklin Park Zoo, and was wooed back in a most unusual way. Zoo New England, which has the Franklin Park Zoo under its umbrella, says...
3 Abandoned Kittens
Saved by a Cup of Coffee
Jan 27, 2020 9:28 AM CST
3 Abandoned Kittens Saved by a Cup of Coffee
Quick-thinking Alberta man frees them from ice, then finds them a new home
- Never has a cup of lukewarm coffee done so much good. A man in Alberta, Canada, used his coffee to free three kittens stuck to the ice, reports the BBC . (See video here .) The best part: He posted about his unusual rescue on Facebook , and now all three kittens...
Dog Leads Rescuers
to Neglected Animals
Jan 24, 2020 5:03 AM CST
Dog Leads Rescuers to Neglected Animals
Georgia woman charged with animal cruelty
- Animal rescue volunteers in Georgia say they went out to help a stray dog in Spalding County—and came back with six dogs and 10 puppies. The volunteers say that the stray mother dog, Clover, led them to a property where numerous dead or distressed and malnourished animals were in...
Lobsterman Hauls in
Live Deer 5 Miles
Nov 8, 2019 12:05 AM CST
Lobsterman Hauls in Live Deer 5 Miles From Shore
He says it would have been a 'goner' if he and his crew hadn't intervened
- A Maine lobsterman hauled in an unusual catch 5 miles off the coast—a live deer. Ren Dorr says he was setting traps when he saw a young deer Monday morning. He says the deer had given up swimming and was being carried farther offshore, the AP reports. Dorr and...
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Trump at State AG Deposition: I Plead the Fifth
Fred Savage Accusers: His Eyes Would Go 'Dead'
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.