Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Experts: Numbers on Updated
COVID Shots Are 'Abysmal'
Oct 27, 2023 12:26 PM CDT
Experts: Numbers on Updated COVID Shots Are 'Abysmal'
Per CDC, only 7% of adults, 2% of children have received most recent coronavirus vaccine
- A month after federal officials recommended new versions of COVID-19 vaccines, 7% of US adults and 2% of children have gotten a shot. One expert called the rates "abysmal," per the AP . The numbers, presented Thursday at a meeting held by the CDC, come from a national survey...
or Take Pay Cut
Oct 9, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Penn Gave Nobel-Winner Ultimatum: Leave, or Take Pay Cut
Katalin Kariko didn't leave, keeping up her dogged research that led to COVID vaccines
- Hungarian researcher Katalin Kariko looks pretty good on paper these days: She co-pioneered mRNA research at the University of Pennsylvania that led to COVID vaccines that helped save millions of lives worldwide during the pandemic; as of last week she has a Nobel for her trouble ; and, just as icing...
Are No More
Oct 4, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
'Once a staple of the pandemic,' they're now a relic of the past
- Those little white cards documenting you'd been vaccinated against COVID-19, once required at certain restaurants, theaters, gyms , and international border crossings, will no longer be distributed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC says it's not giving them out anymore, and that anyone who wants...
You Can Now Get Your
Updated COVID Vaccine
Sep 13, 2023 12:41 AM CDT
You Can Now Get Your Updated COVID Vaccine
Shots beginning this week, as soon as Wednesday in some locations
- Most Americans should get an updated COVID-19 vaccine, health officials said Tuesday. Advisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention endorsed the new shots for everyone 6 months and older and the agency's director quickly signed off Tuesday on the panel's recommendation. That means doses should be...
Updated COVID Shots Part
of Plan to Avoid 'Tripledemic'
Sep 9, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Updated COVID Shots Part of Plan to Avoid 'Tripledemic'
Approval of updated vaccines expected within days, just in time for flu and RSV season
- Updated COVID-19 vaccines are coming soon, just in time to pair them with flu shots. Doctors hope enough people get vaccinated to help avert another "tripledemic" like last year, when hospitals were overwhelmed with an early flu season, an onslaught of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and yet another winter...
Think We're Done
With COVID? It's
Not Done With Us
Aug 29, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Think We're Done With COVID? It's Not Done With Us
Illness is more manageable now, but late-summer wave shows our 'new normal' will include the virus
- If you're seeing a sudden uptick in people around you contracting COVID, more than three years after the start of the pandemic, and more than three months after the pandemic public health emergency was declared over , you're not imagining it. Per the
New York Times
, there's been...
Rogan, Musk, RFK Jr. Zero In
on One Vaccine Scientist
Jun 19, 2023 11:11 AM CDT
Rogan, Musk, RFK Jr. Zero In on One Vaccine Scientist
Dr. Peter Hotez of Houston says he's being 'stalked'
- Anthony Fauci has long been public enemy No. 1 in the eyes of vaccine opponents. With Fauci retired, it appears that a vaccine scientist in Houston might be assuming the unwanted role. The scientist is Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of...
COVID Vaccines Likely
Getting a Big Update
Jun 16, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
COVID Vaccines Likely Getting a Big Update
FDA advisers endorse updating the shots
- The COVID-19 vaccines are on track for a big recipe change this fall, the AP reports. Today’s vaccines still contain the original coronavirus strain, the one that started the pandemic—even though that was long ago supplanted by mutated versions as the virus rapidly evolves. Thursday, the Food and...
Foxx Reps Say Vax Claim
Isn't True, Yet It Just Won't Die
Jun 8, 2023 8:08 AM CDT
Foxx Reps Say Vax Claim Isn't True, Yet It Just Won't Die
Rumor that actor's mystery condition was caused by COVID vaccine continues to spread online
- What's going on with Jamie Foxx's health is still largely a mystery —even an upbeat update from his daughter didn't provide many details—but one thing fans can now rule out is that he suffered medical complications from the COVID vaccine. That's according to reps...
Report: Florida's Top Doc Nixed
Key Data From Vaccine Study
Apr 8, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Report: Florida's Top Doc Nixed Key Data From Vaccine Study
Analysis shows State Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo cut data on COVID being riskier than shot
- An analysis that was the basis of a highly criticized recommendation from Florida's surgeon general cautioning young men against getting the COVID-19 vaccine omitted information that showed catching the virus could increase the risk of a cardiac-related death much more than getting the mRNA shot, according to drafts of...
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly'
Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Feb 5, 2023 9:50 AM CST
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Vaccine skeptics keep falsely blaming deaths on COVID shots
- Results from 6-year-old Anastasia Weaver’s autopsy may take weeks. But online anti-vaccine activists needed only hours after her funeral this week to baselessly blame the COVID-19 vaccine, per the AP . A prolific Twitter account posted Anastasia’s name and smiling dance portrait in a tweet with a syringe emoji....
Another Tennis Star Has
Apparent Vaccine Troubles
Jan 9, 2023 10:20 AM CST
Another Tennis Star Has Apparent Vaccine Troubles
Italy's Camila Giorgi is accused of having fake vaccination certificate on eve of Australian Open
- Around this same time last year, Australia was booting Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic out of the country, prohibiting him from competing in the Australian Open due to his lack of COVID vaccination. Now, right before this year's tennis tourney Down Under, a similar controversy is bubbling up involving...
Grant Wahl's Widow: I Can't
Ignore the Trolls Anymore
Jan 9, 2023 9:30 AM CST
Grant Wahl's Widow: I Can't Ignore the Trolls Anymore
Celine Gounder, a doctor, says vaccine disinformation is too dangerous
- Celine Gounder is an infectious-disease physician and epidemiologist, and she also happens to be the widow of renowned soccer writer Grant Wahl . After her husband died while covering the World Cup, the anti-vaccine brigade concluded that his COVID vaccine must have been the reason. (It wasn't—Wahl died of...
Jan 6, 2023 6:33 AM CST
Doctor Harassed After Rogan Promotes Fake Tweet
Podcaster has since apologized for his part over post that spread misinformation on COVID vaccine
- Earlier this year, amid backlash on his conversations about COVID and climate change, Joe Rogan insisted he was "not trying to promote misinformation" on his popular Spotify podcast. This week, however, he found himself apologizing for doing just that, after he promoted a fake tweet that brought harassment upon...
Dec 17, 2022 12:47 PM CST
Teacher Who Gave Teen Vaccine Shot Avoids Prison
Laura Russo pleads guilty to lesser charge
- A high school teacher fired after being accused of injecting a teenager with a coronavirus vaccine without his parents knowing has avoided a prison sentence. Laura Russo pleaded guilty Friday to a misdemeanor count of attempting the unauthorized practice of medicine in court in Mineola, New York. She also entered...
DeSantis Wants Grand Jury
to Probe COVID Vaccines
Dec 14, 2022 7:04 AM CST
DeSantis Wants Grand Jury to Probe COVID Vaccines
Governor asks the Florida Supreme Court to empanel one
- Ron DeSantis is taking his gripes with the COVID-19 vaccine to new heights. The Florida governor on Tuesday requested that the state Supreme Court convene a grand jury to investigate any "wrongdoing" related to the vaccines, saying the public wants "accountability," Politico reports. Not many details have...
Parents Lose Fight
to Keep Baby From
Getting Vaccinated Blood
Dec 7, 2022 8:08 AM CST
Parents Lose Fight to Keep Baby From Getting Vaccinated Blood
New Zealand's health service granted temporary medical custody
- A 4-month-old boy in need of heart surgery was on Wednesday ordered into the temporary medical custody of health officials by a New Zealand court, in a contentious case that has attracted international press. His parents have refused to proceed with the surgery unless their son only be given blood...
Ice Cube: Refusing
the 'Jab' Cost Me $9M
Nov 23, 2022 11:58 AM CST
Ice Cube: Refusing the 'Jab' Cost Me $9M
He confirms he lost out on movie role because of his vaccination status
- "I don't know how Hollywood feels about me right now," said Ice Cube in a Sunday podcast appearance, but he made it crystal clear how he feels about the COVID vaccine. While appearing on "Million Dollaz Worth of Game,"
reports he confirmed murmurings that...
Oct 21, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
Pfizer Sets Future Price for COVID Vaccine
Figure up to $130 per dose
- Pfizer will charge $110 to $130 for a dose of its COVID-19 vaccine once the US government stops buying the shots, but the drugmaker says it expects many people will continue receiving it for free. Pfizer executives said the commercial pricing for adult doses could start early next year, depending...
FDA Clears Bivalent COVID
Boosters for Kids 5 and Up
Oct 12, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
FDA Clears Bivalent COVID Boosters for Kids 5 and Up
The CDC now has to sign off
- The US on Wednesday authorized updated COVID-19 boosters for children as young as 5, seeking to expand protection ahead of an expected winter wave. Tweaked boosters rolled out for Americans 12 and older last month, doses modified to target today's most common and contagious omicron relative. While there wasn'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.