Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
US Must Act on New Vaccines
Quickly, COVID Chief Warns
May 12, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
US Must Act on New Vaccines Quickly, COVID Chief Warns
Funding has dried up, preventing the government from ordering more
- The White House COVID-19 response coordinator issued a dire warning Thursday that the US will be increasingly vulnerable to the coronavirus this fall and winter if Congress doesn't swiftly approve new funding for more vaccines and treatments. Dr. Ashish Jha told the AP that Americans' immune protection from the...
FDA Limits Authorized Use
of Johnson & Johnson Vaccine
May 5, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
FDA Limits Authorized Use of Johnson & Johnson Vaccine
If they can, adults should get Moderna or Pfizer coronavirus shots, agency says
- Referring to new data on blood clots, the Food and Drug Administration announced limits Thursday on who should and should not be administered Johnson & Johnson's coronavirus vaccine. Only adults unable to receive other vaccines instead, either because the products are inaccessible or they're not clinically appropriate, are...
Big Move From Moderna on
Shots for Youngest Kids
Apr 28, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Big Move From Moderna on Shots for Youngest Kids
Pharma company submits data to FDA, asks regulators to OK COVID shots for under-6 set
- Moderna on Thursday asked US regulators to authorize low doses of its COVID-19 vaccine for children younger than 6, a long-awaited move toward potentially opening shots for millions of tots by summer. Frustrated families are waiting impatiently for a chance to protect the nation's littlest kids as all around...
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK
Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
Apr 14, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
3rd dose among this set appears to offer significant antibody boost, even against omicron
- Pfizer said Thursday it wants to expand its COVID-19 booster shots to healthy elementary-age kids. US health authorities already urge everyone 12 and older to get one booster dose for the best protection against the newest variants—and recently gave the option of a second booster to those 50 and...
Outlook Is Bleak for
Russia's Sputnik Vaccine
Apr 13, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Outlook Is Bleak for Russia's Sputnik Vaccine
WHO approval looks 'unlikely' following invasion of Ukraine: 'WaPo'
- Russia's coronavirus vaccine was the first approved for use in any country just six months into the global pandemic. But Sputnik V has now seen "an inauspicious fall," the
reports, adding Russia's invasion of Ukraine looks to have "sabotaged any further aspirations" for...
Police: Suspect Had as Many as
90 Vaccine Shots in Card Scam
Apr 3, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Police: Suspect Had as Many as 90 Vaccine Shots in Card Scam
Forged passes have a market in Germany among COVID deniers and others who don't want to be vaccinated
- A 60-year-old man allegedly had himself vaccinated against COVID-19 dozens of times in Germany in order to sell forged vaccination cards with real vaccine batch numbers to people not wanting to get vaccinated themselves. The man from the eastern Germany city of Magdeburg, whose name was not released in line...
Myocarditis Follows Infection
More Often Than Vaccine: CDC
Apr 2, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
Myocarditis Follows Infection More Often Than Vaccine: CDC
Some young patients, parents have worried about heart issues developing after shots
- For the first time, a study has directly compared the chances of teenagers and young men developing heart inflammation after receiving the coronavirus vaccine versus having a COVID infection. Myocarditis is much more likely to surface after an infection than after inoculation, the study showed, the Centers for Disease Control...
WH Officials: There's No
Money for 4th Doses for All
Mar 23, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
WH Officials: There's No Money for 4th Doses for All
...unless Congress approves $15B in emergency funding for COVID response
- If you're 65 and older and awaiting your second COVID booster shot, or have kids under 5 who you hope can soon receive their initial vaccine, administration officials tell the
enough doses at the ready for when those approvals come in. For everyone else, though,...
Moderna Says COVID Vaccine
Is Safe for Babies, Toddlers
Mar 23, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
Moderna Says COVID Vaccine Is Safe for Babies, Toddlers
Company to seek authorization for low doses for kids under 6
- Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine works in babies, toddlers, and preschoolers, the company announced Wednesday—and if regulators agree it could mean a chance to finally start vaccinating the littlest kids by summer, per the AP . Moderna said in the coming weeks it would ask regulators in the US and Europe...
Moderna to FDA:
Authorize 4th Dose
for All Adults
Mar 18, 2022 12:21 AM CDT
Moderna to FDA: Authorize 4th Dose for All Adults
Drugmaker's reasoning: provide flexibility for providers to determine who needs one
- Drugmaker Moderna asked the FDA on Thursday to authorize a fourth shot of its COVID-19 vaccine as a booster dose for all adults, the AP reports. The request is broader than rival pharmaceutical company Pfizer's request earlier this week for the regulator to approve a booster shot for all...
Says 4th Dose
Mar 16, 2022 12:44 AM CDT
Pfizer CEO Says 4th Dose 'Is Necessary'
But he's hoping company will soon have a shot that works against all variants
Pfizer, along with its partner BioNTech, on Tuesday asked US regulators to authorize an additional COVID vaccine booster for seniors. The pharmaceutical company says data from Israel as well as an ongoing study of healthcare workers suggest those 65 and older would benefit from a fourth dose, the AP...
Florida Breaks With CDC
on COVID Vaccines for Kids
Mar 7, 2022 2:33 PM CST
Florida Breaks With CDC on COVID Vaccines for Kids
State will recommend against vaccinating healthy children
- Florida Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo said Monday that the state will formally recommend against COVID-19 vaccinations for healthy children. Ladapo made the announcement at a roundtable event organized by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis that featured a group of doctors who criticized coronavirus lockdowns and mandate policies, the AP reports....
Studies Find No Rush
for Next Booster Shot
Feb 21, 2022 6:55 PM CST
Studies Find No Rush for Next Booster Shot
Antibodies produced after third dose appear to do well against variants
- It's reasonable to assume health officials will soon recommend a second booster shot of the coronavirus vaccine to maintain protection against COVID-19. Israel has made fourth shots available, per CNN . The UK plans to do so this spring for people over 75. In the US, the FDA said that...
J&J Is Pausing
COVID Vaccine Production
Feb 9, 2022 6:54 AM CST
J&J Is Pausing COVID Vaccine Production
Move is said to be temporary, but some are raising concerns
- The only Johnson & Johnson plant that had been making usable batches of the company's COVID-19 vaccine is no longer producing it, a move that could reduce the global supply of the vaccine by a few hundred million doses, sources tell the
New York Times
. J&J quietly made...
US COVID Death Toll
Feb 5, 2022 2:20 PM CST
US COVID Death Toll Approaches 1M
900,000 people have died, officials say
- The US death toll from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is inching closer to 1 million as the Omicron variant rages throughout the world, the AP reports. More than 10% of the 900,000 Americans lost to the virus died after Dec. 12, per Reuters . “If you had told most...
Pfizer Seeks Approval for
Vaccine for Kids Under 5
Feb 1, 2022 5:16 PM CST
Pfizer Seeks Approval for Vaccine for Kids Under 5
Regulator urged company to apply earlier than planned
- Pfizer on Tuesday asked the US to authorize extra-low doses of its COVID-19 vaccine for children under 5, potentially opening the way for the very youngest Americans to start receiving shots as early as March. In an extraordinary move, the Food and Drug Administration had urged Pfizer and its partner...
FDA Gives Full Approval
to Moderna Vaccine
Jan 31, 2022 1:52 PM CST
FDA Gives Full Approval to Moderna Vaccine
Serious side effects have proved to be very rare
- Moderna announced Monday that US health regulators have granted full approval to its COVID-19 vaccine, a shot that's been given to tens of millions of Americans since its emergency authorization over a year ago. The action by the Food and Drug Administration means the agency has completed the same...
NY Nurses Sold $1.5 Million
in Fake Vax Cards, Police Say
Jan 30, 2022 9:35 AM CST
NY Nurses Sold $1.5 Million in Fake Vax Cards, Police Say
Two Long Island women face felony charges
- The owner of Long Island's Wild Child Pediatric Healthcare and one of her employees allegedly made more than $1.5 million selling forged COVID-19 vaccination cards, per the
New York Times
. Julie DeVuono, 49, and Marissa Urraro, 44, were charged Friday with second-degree forgery, court records show. DeVuono, the...
'I Will Die Free'
Jan 30, 2022 7:56 AM CST
Unvaccinated Man Needing Transplant: 'I Will Die Free'
Chad Carswell says he is willing to die over vaccine stance
- A North Carolina man says more than 100 people have offered to donate a kidney to him. The number of local hospitals willing to carry out the surgery stands closer to zero. That's due to Chad Carswell's unvaccinated status. The double amputee says his kidney is 4% operational...
As Canada's Truckers Fight
Vax Mandate, Musk Picks Sides
Jan 28, 2022 1:18 PM CST
As Canada's Truckers Fight Vax Mandate, Musk Picks Sides
'Canadian truckers rule' was Tesla CEO's tweet as drivers headed to Ottawa protest
- Elon Musk has been inserting himself lately into conversations about crypto , but the Tesla and SpaceX CEO shifted gears late in the week to lend support to an entirely different cause. "Canadian truckers rule" was his thumbs-up tweet Thursday, directed toward big-rig drivers headed toward Ottawa for an anti-vaccine...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Chess Champ Finally Unloads Cheating Allegations
Deborrah Collier Bought Some Items Before Her Odd Death
Hurricane Ian's Approach 'Near Worst-Case' for Tampa
Fetterman Explains Tattoos After Tucker Carlson's Rant
Couple Saves Injured Baby Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.