Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
$4.8M Settlement Reached
Over Man 'Shot in the Face'
Apr 4, 2022 12:04 AM CDT
$4.8M Settlement Reached Over Man 'Shot in the Face'
Julian Lewis was killed by a Georgia state trooper
The family of a Black man fatally shot by a Georgia state trooper in 2020 will receive a $4.8 million settlement from the state. A lawyer for Julian Lewis' family says the settlement was reached last month before a lawsuit was filed, the
New York Times
Black Voters Sue Trump
Nov 22, 2020 2:00 PM CST
Black Voters Sue Trump
The NAACP suit claims Trump is trying to 'coerce' officials
- Black voters in Detroit are suing President Trump and his campaign over their attempt to overturn the 2020 election results, ABC News reports. The NAACP Legal Defense Fund filed the suit Friday for three voters, saying the president's campaign was trying to "coerce" and "intimidate" officials into...
Nov 7, 2020 12:30 PM CST
Kamala Harris Just Broke 3 Glass Ceilings
The vice president-elect made history on Saturday
- Glass ceiling, meet Kamala Harris: The California senator made history Saturday by becoming the first woman and woman of color elected vice president, NPR reports. The daughter of a Jamaican father and an Indian mother, Harris is no stranger to history: She was the first Black woman to become attorney...
City in Turmoil Embraces
'Fresh Approach to Policing'
Sep 26, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
City in Turmoil Embraces 'Fresh Approach to Policing'
Cynthia Herriott-Sullivan will be Rochester's first female police chief
- Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren tapped a Black woman to become the new interim city police chief, saying Saturday she will bring a "fresh approach to policing" amid the tumultuous aftermath to Daniel Prude’s death, the AP reports. Cynthia Herriott-Sullivan, who retired from the department in 2009 as a...
Trump to Black Americans:
Here's My 'Platinum Plan'
Sep 26, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Trump to Black Americans: Here's My 'Platinum Plan'
And he claims Joe Biden has hurt Black communities
- President Trump took aim at Black voters Friday by offering a new multi-billion-dollar plan and taking a jab at his Democratic rival, CNN reports. "No one in politics today has done more to hurt the Black community than Joe Biden," Trump said at a campaign event in Atlanta....
'Anxiety' Stirs 2 Women
to Take a Very Bold Step
Sep 13, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
'Anxiety' Stirs 2 Women to Take a Very Bold Step
Ashley Scott and Renee Walters are creating the Freedom Georgia Initiative
- Welcome to the Freedom Georgia Initiative. So far it's just 96 acres of dirt roads and trees, but two pioneering women foresee much more: a safe space for Blacks in trying times, CNN reports. "I'm hoping that it will be a thriving safe haven for people of...
City Repeals Law That's
Said to Target Blacks
Sep 12, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
City Repeals Law That's Said to Target Blacks
Opa-locka gives 'saggy pants' law the yank
- A Florida city has repealed its "saggy pants" law after critics said it unfairly singled out Black residents, Fox News reports. The Opa-locka City Commission repealed the 13-year-old ordinance—and a similar one targeting women in exposed underwear—with a 4-1 vote Wednesday by video conference. "I was...
Unions Threaten Work
Stoppages Over BLM
Sep 5, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Unions Threaten Work Stoppages Over BLM
'The status quo ... is clearly unjust, and it cannot continue'
- Ahead of Labor Day, unions representing millions across several working-class sectors are threatening to authorize work stoppages in support of the Black Lives Matter movement amid calls for concrete measures that address racial injustice. In a statement first shared with the AP , labor leaders who represent teachers, autoworkers, truck drivers,...
She Lied About Being Black.
Now, GWU Takes Action
Sep 5, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
She Lied About Being Black. Now, GWU Takes Action
Jessica Krug's students are in need of a new professor
- A professor who admitted to lying about her Blackness won't be teaching this semester at George Washington University, the
reports. Jessica Krug, who taught African and Latin American studies, is being replaced but hasn't yet been fired. "We certainly want the classes to continue, and...
Video: Cops Put Hood on
Black Man. He Didn't Survive
Sep 3, 2020 2:00 AM CDT
Video: Cops Put Hood on Black Man. He Didn't Survive
Daniel Prude's family bring his death to the public eye
- A Black man who had run naked through the streets of a western New York city died of asphyxiation after a group of police officers put a hood over his head, then pressed his face into the pavement for two minutes, according to video and records released Wednesday by the...
Police Shoot Black Man
Armed With Knife '11 Times'
Aug 22, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Police Shoot Black Man Armed With Knife '11 Times'
The killing is under investigation in Louisiana
- Police in Louisiana shot and killed a man as he tried to enter a convenience store with a knife, authorities said Saturday per the AP . The shooting was captured on video (WARNING: graphic images) and the state ACLU condemned what it described as a "horrific and deadly incident of...
Aug 15, 2020 3:10 PM CDT
Father Can't Explain Why Suspect Shot His 5-Year-Old
'There wasn't anything between me and him,' says Austin Hinnant
- A North Carolina father says his 5-year-old boy was killed by their neighbor for no apparent reason—the day after the two men had dinner together, the
reports. Austin Hinnant says he was grilling chicken at his Wilson home last Saturday when he saw his neighbor of 8...
Disney Wouldn't Air
This Episode—Until Now
Aug 11, 2020 9:28 AM CDT
Disney Wouldn't Air This Episode—Until Now
Episode of 'black-ish' about Trump finds a home on Hulu
- A politically charged episode of
from 2017 that was shelved by ABC has found a home on Hulu, a corporate sibling of the Disney-owned broadcast network, the AP reports. "I cannot wait for everyone to finally see the episode for themselves," series creator Kenya Barris posted Monday...
A New First for the US Navy
Aug 2, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
A New First for the US Navy
Meet Lieutenant Madeline Swegle, the Navy's first Black female fighter pilot
- Lieutenant Madeline Swegle made headlines Friday by becoming the first Black female tactical aircraft pilot in US Navy history, CBS News reports. The trailblazer received her Wings of Gold along with 25 classmates at a graduation ceremony at the Naval Air Station in Kingsville, Texas. "I'm excited to...
'I Think They
A Lynching Is
Jul 26, 2020 1:50 PM CDT
'I Think They Always Knew': A Lynching Is Revived, 34 Years Later
Timothy Coggins was dragged to his death in 1983. But where was justice?
- Timothy Coggins was said to be funny and exuberant, with a captivating smile. Tragically, the young Black man was lynched in October 1983—a crime that went unsolved until law enforcement took up the cold case and showed it to a jury 34 years later,
reports. "I think...
Activist's Statue Only
Lasts for 24 Hours
Jul 16, 2020 11:17 AM CDT
Activist's Statue Only Lasts for 24 Hours
The city of Bristol removes 'A Surge of Power (Jen Reid)'
- First, a slave trader. Then a black activist. Now a pedestal in Bristol, England is empty again after the city took down the activist's statue on Thursday morning, Sky News reports. "This morning we removed the sculpture," the City Council said in a statement. "It will...
Popular on Newser
FBI List Shows Top Secret Files Were Recovered at Mar-a-Lago
Landmark Bill Goes to Biden: Here's What's in It
Agent on Rushdie: 'The News Is Not Good'
They Were Enjoying Happy Hour. Then, 'Pure Panic'
What We Know About the Attack on Salman Rushdie
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.