Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Parler Is Back in Apple's
App Store—With Conditions
May 17, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Parler Is Back in Apple's App Store—With Conditions
Think of it as 'Parler Lite or Parler PG'
- Parler is set to make a reappearance in Apple's App Store on Monday, after the latter company reviewed changes that the social media platform made to address concerns of lax moderation. The news comes on the heels of reports last month that Apple had cleared the way for this...
Parler Cleared for
App Store Return
Apr 19, 2021 1:57 PM CDT
Parler Cleared for App Store Return
Apple says Parler has agreed to make changes
- In what Republican Rep. Ken Buck calls a "huge win for free speech," Apple has decided to allow social media app Parler to return to the App store. In a letter Buck tweeted Monday, Apple exec Timothy Powderly said Apple has approved a version of the app with...
Fired CEO of Parler Sues,
Saying He Was Cheated
Mar 24, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Fired CEO of Parler Sues, Saying He Was Cheated
John Matze charges he was told his 40% stake was worth $3
- The fired chief executive of Parler has counterpunched. John Matze has sued the right-wing social media platform he co-founded, accusing the company of an "arrogant theft" in seizing his share and bullying him to drive him out. Rebekah Mercer, the wealthy Republican donor who backed the site, is named...
Parler Says It Is
Now 'Here to Stay'
Feb 15, 2021 2:13 PM CST
Parler Says It Is Now 'Here to Stay'
Social media site returns, minus old posts
- Parler is back after more than a month offline, with a new CEO—but none of its old content. It's not clear whether the removal of old posts is the result of the social media site's removal from host Amazon Web Services last month or a "scorched-earth...
Parler CEO John Matze Fired
Feb 4, 2021 12:58 AM CST
Parler CEO John Matze Fired
Board of controversial social network terminates him
- Parler is without a CEO. The board of the controversial social network, which was forced largely offline due to violent far-right rhetoric making the rounds on it, terminated John Matze last week, Matze confirmed to Reuters after the move was first reported by Fox News . "On January 29, 2021,...
Judge: Amazon Doesn't
Have to Restore Parler Now
Jan 21, 2021 4:45 PM CST
Judge: Amazon Doesn't Have to Restore Parler Now
Court rules on injunction but not the entire case
- Amazon won't be forced to immediately restore web service to Parler after a federal judge ruled Thursday. The court was considering a plea to reinstate the fast-growing social media app, which is favored by followers of former President Donald Trump. US District Judge Barbara Rothstein said she wasn't...
Parler Is Back Online
Jan 18, 2021 12:39 AM CST
Parler Is Back Online
Controversial social media site returns to the web
- Parler is back. The website for the controversial social network was online again as of Sunday afternoon, CNN reports, indicating it has found a hosting service after Amazon Web Services gave it the boot, though it's not clear which host that might be. "Hello world, is this thing...
Amazon to Judge: Don't
Make Us Reinstate Parler
Jan 13, 2021 3:26 PM CST
Amazon to Judge: Don't Make Us Reinstate Parler
Company says lack of moderation led to 'steady increase' in violent content
- Amazon has asked a federal judge to deny a request to reinstate the cloud-service account for conservative social media network Parler, claiming Parler shrugged off police violence content on its site before and after the insurrection at the US Capitol. Amazon's lawyers made the claim on Tuesday, a day...
Jan 11, 2021 2:28 PM CST
Parler Files Antitrust Suit Against Amazon
Company wants judge to order it reinstated
- Parler, which went offline early Monday after Amazon pulled it from its web-hosting service, has asked a federal judge to order its reinstatement. The social media company filed a lawsuit in federal court in Seattle Monday, saying Amazon's "decision to effectively terminate Parler's account is apparently motivated...
Parler Is Now Inaccessible
After Amazon's Move
Jan 11, 2021 6:47 AM CST
Parler Is Now Inaccessible After Amazon's Move
The social network says other cloud-hosting companies aren't jumping to work with it
- Parler was inaccessible as of early Monday after Amazon went forward with its decision to suspend the Twitter-like platform from its web-hosting services, reports the
. Per the
, Amazon said late Saturday that Parler violated its terms of service, citing inadequate content moderation. "Recently, we’ve seen...
Parler CEO After Apple, Google
Play Moves: 'We Won't Cave!'
Jan 9, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Parler CEO After Apple, Google Play Moves: 'We Won't Cave!'
Google Play has yanked the Parler app, and it looks like Apple is about to
- On the same day Twitter permanently banned President Trump due to what it says was a risk of further incitement of violence, another social media platform found itself contending with its own troubles related to the same. CNN Business reported Friday that Google Play has yanked the app for Parler,...
Trump Sneaks in
4 More Tweets,
Hints of 'Own
Jan 9, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Trump Sneaks in 4 More Tweets, Hints of 'Own Platform'
Michael Flynn, Sidney Powell also get banned from Twitter
- Twitter permanently suspended President Trump's personal account, @RealDonaldTrump, on Friday, but the commander in chief quickly found a temporary workaround. CNBC reports that Trump managed to sneak in four more tweets from the government-owned @POTUS account on Friday evening, although those tweets were also removed from the platform almost...
Deputy Fired Over
'Disturbing' Parler Posts
Dec 29, 2020 7:38 AM CST
Deputy Fired Over 'Disturbing' Parler Posts
Aaron Hoffman: Posts seeking violent overthrow of elected officials, killing John Roberts weren't mine
- A Virginia sheriff's deputy in Prince William County has been fired over "disturbing" remarks he appears to have made on a conservative social-media site, though he insists he wasn't the one who posted them. Per FOX 5 , Aaron Hoffman is calling the situation a "giant nightmare"...
Is Backing Parler
Nov 15, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Billionaire's Daughter Is Backing Parler
Rebekah Mercer played a vital role in getting the social-media network started
- A social media app that's soaring in popularity—especially among conservatives and libertarians—didn't just come out of nowhere. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Rebekah Mercer, a deep-pocketed conservative donor, played a big role in getting Parler up on its feet. In fact, Parler CEO John Matze...
No. 1 Downloaded App
Is a Snub to Twitter
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 14, 2020 7:00 AM CST
No. 1 Downloaded App Is a Snub to Twitter
Parler is a right-leaning alternative for conservative users
- A peek at the charts for Apple's App Store and the Google Play Store reveals a common theme: Parler is the No. 1 free downloaded app. As it turns out, the trend is a recent one, and it's all tied to Election 2020, reports TechCrunch . Parler is a...
Popular on Newser
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
Dump These Antiperspirant Sprays ASAP If You Have Them
The Quest for Fair Skin Leads to 'Serious Adverse Effects'
California Demographics Shift, Thanks to 'Inland Empire'
Salvation Army Racism Guide Angers Some Conservatives
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.