Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Darrell Brooks Gets Life
With No Chance of Release
Nov 16, 2022 6:50 PM CST
Darrell Brooks Gets Life With No Chance of Release
He drove his SUV into a Christmas parade last year, killing 6
- Darrell Brooks Jr. was sentenced to life in prison with no possibily of release Wednesday, just under a year after he drove his SUV into a Christmas parade in Waukesha, Wisconsin, killing six people and injuring dozens more. Waukesha County Circuit Judge Jennifer Dorow sentenced the 40-year-old on 76 charges,...
Jury Took 3 Hours, 15 Minutes
to Find Darrell Brooks Guilty
Oct 26, 2022 11:22 AM CDT
Jury Took 3 Hours, 15 Minutes to Find Darrell Brooks Guilty
He faces 6 mandatory life sentences for parade killings in Waukesha, Wis.
- A Wisconsin man was convicted Wednesday of killing six people when he drove his SUV through a Christmas parade last year, ending a trial in which he defended himself erratically and sometimes confrontationally. The jury found Darrell Brooks guilty of six counts of first-degree intentional homicide. He faces a mandatory...
Insists It Was
Oct 26, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
Waukesha Parade Defendant Cries, Insists It Was an Accident
Jury began deliberations after closing arguments
- The man accused of intentionally driving through last year's Christmas parade in Waukesha, Wisconsin, killing six people and injuring dozens more, insisted through tears during closing arguments in his trial Tuesday that the tragedy was accidental. "What if the vehicle couldn’t stop because of malfunction? What if...
Suspect in Waukesha Parade
Deaths Pulls More Court Stunts
Oct 7, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
Suspect in Waukesha Parade Deaths Pulls More Court Stunts
Wisconsin man strips off shirt, sticks sign down his pants
- A Wisconsin man defending himself against homicide charges for allegedly plowing his SUV through a Christmas parade stripped off his shirt, sat with his back to the camera and stuck a sign he'd been given to signal objections down his pants Thursday before opening statements began in his trial,...
Waukesha Parade Suspect
Is Changing His Plea
Jun 20, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Waukesha Parade Suspect Is Changing His Plea
Lawyer says Darrell Brooks is mounting insanity defense
- A man accused of killing six people and injuring dozens more when he allegedly drove his SUV through a Christmas parade in suburban Milwaukee last year has decided to mount an insanity defense, his attorneys said Monday. Darrell Brooks Jr. faces more than 80 charges, including six homicide counts, in...
Judge Refuses to Delay Trial
in Christmas Parade Deaths
Apr 4, 2022 5:06 PM CDT
Judge Refuses to Delay Trial in Christmas Parade Deaths
Darrell Brooks Jr. faces more than 80 charges
: A judge refused Monday to delay the trial for a man accused of killing six people and injuring dozens more when he allegedly drove his SUV through a Christmas parade in suburban Milwaukee. Waukesha County Circuit Judge Jennifer Dorow said it's important to resolve the case as quickly...
Suspect in Christmas Parade
Tragedy Talks to Fox News
Dec 2, 2021 3:01 AM CST
Suspect in Christmas Parade Tragedy Talks to Fox News
Darrell Brooks says he feels he's being 'demonized'
- The man suspected of driving through a Christmas parade in Waukesha, Wis., last month, killing six people and injuring 62 others, says he's being "dehumanized." Darrell Brooks, charged with six counts of intentional first-degree homicide, on Wednesday gave an interview to Fox News from inside the Waukesha...
Sixth Waukesha Victim
Is an 8-Year-Old Boy
Nov 23, 2021 6:14 PM CST
Sixth Waukesha Victim Is an 8-Year-Old Boy
Suspect Darrell Brooks was charged with homicide in first court appearance
- The man accused of driving an SUV into a Christmas parade in Waukesha was charged with five counts of intentional homicide Tuesday—and the charges still to come will include a sixth count. Relatives say 8-year-old Jackson Sparks died from his injuries at Children's Hospital Wisconsin Tuesday, the AP...
Homeowner Apparently Made
Snack for Parade Suspect
Nov 23, 2021 11:39 AM CST
Homeowner Apparently Made Snack for Parade Suspect
Video reportedly shows Darrell Brooks knocking on door after crash, asking for help with Uber
- Doorbell video has emerged related to the Waukesha parade crash , and it appears to show suspected driver Darrell Brooks knocking on the door of a nearby home shortly after the tragedy and asking for help getting an Uber. Watch the video via NBC News . In it, a man identified as...
Horrific Waukesha Incident
Killed 4 'Dancing Grannies'
Nov 22, 2021 6:00 PM CST
Horrific Waukesha Incident Killed 4 'Dancing Grannies'
Beloved group makes regular appearances at parades in the region
- The five people killed in Sunday's tragedy in Waukesha, Wisconsin, include four members of the Milwaukee Dancing Grannies—a close-knit group of pompom dancers that performs at dozens of parades in the region every year. Group members Virginia Sorenson, 79; LeAnna Owen, 71; Tamara Durand, 52; and Wilhelm Hospel,...
Cops: Waukesha Suspect
Was Involved in Domestic
Disturbance Minutes Earlier
Nov 22, 2021 2:25 PM CST
Cops: Waukesha Suspect Was Involved in Domestic Disturbance Minutes Earlier
Darrell Brooks faces 5 counts of first-degree intentional homicide
- The man accused of driving into a Christmas parade in Waukesha Sunday, killing five people and injuring almost 50 others, had been involved in a domestic disturbance just minutes earlier, police in the Wisconsin city said Monday. Waukesha Police Chief Daniel Thompson said "the suspect left that scene just...
as Driver at Waukesha Parade
Nov 22, 2021 10:45 AM CST
39-Year-Old Identified as Driver at Waukesha Parade
Reports suggest he may have been fleeing scene of a crime when he plowed into parade
This file has been updated with additional details about the suspect.
Police say they have a suspect in custody after an SUV plowed into a Christmas parade in Wisconsin, but they haven't provided any details publicly. Now, however, multiple outlets—including the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
, the AP , and...
What We Know About
Wisconsin Parade Tragedy
Nov 22, 2021 6:51 AM CST
What We Know About Wisconsin Parade Tragedy
'I heard the motorist revving the engine'
- Few answers have emerged about Sunday's tragedy in Waukesha, Wisconsin, where an SUV plowed into a Christmas parade . The latest on what is being reported:
Police say five people are dead and more than 40 injured, but the numbers could change given the chaos of events, reports the
5 Dead After SUV Plows
Into Christmas Parade
Nov 22, 2021 12:53 AM CST
5 Dead After SUV Plows Into Christmas Parade
Police have suspect in custody; more than 40 others are hurt in Wisconsin tragedy
This article has been updated to reflect the number of fatalities and injuries.
A joyous scene of marching bands and children dancing in Santa hats and waving pompoms turned deadly in an instant, as an SUV sped through barricades and into a Christmas parade in suburban Milwaukee, killing at...
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.