Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Details on Air Show
Crash That Killed 6
Dec 1, 2022 12:27 AM CST
NTSB Reveals Details on Air Show Crash That Killed 6
No altitude plan was made before the tragedy, report finds
- Just before a midair collision that killed six at a Dallas air show, a group of historic fighter planes was told to fly ahead of a formation of bombers without any prior plan for coordinating altitude, according to a federal report released Wednesday. The report did not give a cause...
State Watchdog Agrees With
NTSB on Blame in Limo Crash
Oct 29, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
State Watchdog Agrees With NTSB on Blame in Limo Crash
Inspector general reports gaps in policies and procedures
: A state watchdog released a report Friday night blaming New York regulators in the 2018 fatal crash of a limousine—just as federal regulators did two years ago. Oversight by the Department of Transportation and Department of Motor Vehicles was inadequate, state Inspector General Lucy Lang found, the AP...
Driver Acquitted in
Deaths of 7 Bikers
Aug 9, 2022 4:14 PM CDT
Driver Acquitted in Deaths of 7 Bikers
Volodymyr Zhukovskyy's lawyer said lead motorcyclist caused New Hampshire crash
: A jury has found truck driver Volodymyr Zhukovskyy not guilty on all charges in a head-on cras h that killed seven bikers in New Hampshire in 2019. The 26-year-old had faced negligent homicide, manslaughter, and reckless conduct charges, NBC Boston reports. Prosecutors said Zhukovskyy had taken heroin, fentanyl, and...
Wrong Fuel Led to
Doctor's Fatal Plane Crash
in case you missed it
Aug 29, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Wrong Fuel Led to Doctor's Fatal Plane Crash
Jet fuel was put in aircraft designed to run on standard aviation gas
- Because putting jet fuel in the wrong kind of plane can have catastrophic consequences, the filler nozzles are designed not to fit into tanks that take standard aviation fuel. But that didn't prevent the basic error that led to a deadly crash in 2019, according to a National Transportation...
NTSB: Skydiving Plane That
Crashed Wasn't 'Airworthy'
Apr 13, 2021 2:27 PM CDT
NTSB: Skydiving Plane That Crashed Wasn't 'Airworthy'
Aircraft was damaged before pilot pushed it on takeoff, leading to 11 deaths
- A pilot's aggressive takeoff led to an aerodynamic stall, causing the 2019 crash of a skydiving plane in Hawaii that killed all 11 people on board, government safety investigators have determined. The National Transportation Safety Board said the stall caused a loss of control at an altitude that was...
NTSB to Do Away With
Wreckage of TWA Flight 800
Feb 24, 2021 12:56 PM CST
NTSB to Do Away With Wreckage of TWA Flight 800
Agency has used it to train thousands of investigators
- Some 230 passengers and crew members died when TWA Flight 800 suffered an explosion and crashed soon after taking off from New York's JFK Airport on July 17, 1996—but the wreckage of the Boeing 747-100 has likely saved countless other lives over the following decades. The National Transportation...
Aboard That Scary Flight:
'Don't Look ... Let's Just Pray'
Feb 23, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Aboard That Scary Flight: 'Don't Look ... Let's Just Pray'
Investigators trying to understand why fan blades broke, and not for the first time
- It's a small miracle nobody was hurt or killed in Colorado over the weekend after an engine blew on a United jet and rained huge pieces of debris on neighborhoods near the Denver International Airport. In fact, one of the engine's fan blades came down on a soccer...
Feds Lay Out Final Moments
in Kobe Bryant Crash
Feb 9, 2021 10:09 AM CST
Feds Lay Out Final Moments in Kobe Bryant Crash
NTSB says pilot apparently became disoriented in clouds before crashing
- US safety investigators said Tuesday the pilot of Kobe Bryant's helicopter flew through the clouds last year in an apparent violation of federal standards, likely becoming disoriented just before the helicopter crashed and killed Bryant and eight others, per the AP . Pilot Ara Zobayan was flying under visual flight...
Investigators Share What They
Know About Maritime Disaster
Oct 21, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
Investigators Share What They Know About Maritime Disaster
34 people died on the Conception in September 2019
- After a 13-month effort, investigators say they won't be able to determine the definitive cause of the dive boat fire that killed all 33 passengers and one crew member in September 2019. The National Transportation Safety Board was told at a virtual hearing on Tuesday that though the Conception...
Lawmaker in Deadly Crash
Flew Despite Vision Problems
Aug 25, 2020 5:51 PM CDT
Lawmaker in Deadly Crash Flew Despite Vision Problems
Gary Knopp was denied certification in 2012
- An Alaska state lawmaker who was involved in a July midair collision that killed seven people was piloting his plane even though his medical flight certification was denied eight years ago because of vision problems, a federal agency reported Tuesday. Alaska State Troopers identified the pilot as state Rep. Gary...
NTSB: Tesla Driver
Was Playing Video Game
During Fatal Crash
Feb 26, 2020 12:11 AM CST
NTSB: Tesla Driver Was Playing Video Game During Fatal Crash
'If you own a car with partial automation, you do not own a self-driving car'
- The National Transportation Safety Board says the driver of a Tesla SUV who died in a Silicon Valley crash two years ago was playing a video game on his smartphone while his vehicle was being controlled by a partially automated driving system. Chairman Robert Sumwalt said at the start of...
NTSB Shares What
It Knows About
Kobe Bryant's Crash
Jan 29, 2020 6:56 AM CST
NTSB Shares What It Knows About Kobe Bryant's Crash
NTSB describes it as a 'high energy impact crash'
- The helicopter that Kobe Bryant and eight others were in on Sunday came very close to clearing a California hillside, the National Transportation Safety Board said on Tuesday, missing the top by just 20 to 30 feet. The
New York Times
reports the helicopter had reached 2,300 feet before...
Plane Crash in South Dakota
Snowstorm Kills 9
Dec 1, 2019 5:43 AM CST
Plane Crash in South Dakota Snowstorm Kills 9
3 people were injured
- Nine people—including two children and the pilot—have been killed after a plane crashed in South Dakota, authorities tell CNN . Peter Knudson with the National Transportation Safety Board tells the AP that 12 people were aboard the Pilatus PC-12 when it crashed about 12:30pm Saturday, shortly after taking...
Led to Plane Crash
Nov 9, 2019 9:30 AM CST
NTSB: Latest Gender Reveal Led to Plane Crash
Texas aircraft stalled after releasing 350 gallons of pink water
- Gender reveals have led to a car fire , a wildfire , even a death in Iowa . Now, per the
New York Post
, one has apparently spurred a plane crash. National Transportation Safety Board records show that the accident, which happened Sept. 7 in Turkey, Texas, took place after the pilot—IDed...
Slams Into NJ Home
Oct 30, 2019 12:01 AM CDT
Small Plane Slams Into NJ Home
'It kind of looks like a volcano erupted'
- A small plane crashed and exploded in a residential neighborhood in the New Jersey suburbs of New York City on Tuesday morning, leaving its pilot dead and setting two houses on fire, the AP reports. The twin-engine Cessna 414 went down at 11am just several hundred yards from Claremont Avenue...
After Dive Boat Fire
Sep 13, 2019 1:02 AM CDT
'Seaman's Manslaughter' Charges Possible After Dive Boat Fire
NTSB says all 6 crew members were asleep
- A California scuba dive boat was operating in violation of Coast Guard regulations when crew members were sleeping and a pre-dawn fire killed 34 people, leaving grieving families wondering if a required night watchman could have saved their loved ones. Thursday brought a disclosure from the National Transportation Safety Board...
The Worst Crash Ever Just
Missed. Now What Do We Do?
Oct 13, 2018 12:30 PM CDT
The Worst Crash Ever Just Missed. Now What Do We Do?
Aviation officials say faster reporting is needed
- Safety officials say a near collision of airliners in San Francisco last year was a few feet from becoming the worst crash in aviation history and underscores the need for faster reporting of dangerous incidents before evidence is lost, the AP reports. The National Transportation Safety Board issued a final...
Duck-Boat Tragedy Video:
Trip Went From Calm to Frantic
Jul 28, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Duck-Boat Tragedy Video: Trip Went From Calm to Frantic
NTSB releases a preliminary timeline of what happened
- Now, the video. Federal officials have reviewed footage from the sunken Missouri duck boat to see how events unfolded and compare the launch time to severe-weather warnings for the area, the
Kansas City Star
reports. Per the National Transportation Safety Board, the trip went from leisurely to frantic within minutes...
After 2 Teens Die in
Fiery Tesla Crash
May 10, 2018 11:18 AM CDT
NTSB Investigating After 2 Teens Die in Fiery Tesla Crash
This investigation focuses on battery fire, not Autopilot; police say car was speeding
- Two teens were killed in Florida Tuesday night when a 2014 Tesla Model S went off the road, ran into a concrete wall, and burst into flames—and now the National Transportation Safety Board is investigating, making this the fourth accident involving Tesla vehicles that the NTSB is probing, the...
NTSB Kicks Tesla
Out of Investigation
for Breaking Rules
Apr 13, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
NTSB Kicks Tesla Out of Investigation for Breaking Rules
Feds say electric car company prematurely made information public
- Federal investigators say they have booted electric car maker Tesla from a group that's investigating a fatal March 23 crash of a Tesla Model X SUV in California. The National Transportation Safety Board said it removed Tesla as a party to the investigation after the company prematurely made information...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.