Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jun 15, 2022 3:58 PM CDT
Frog Mystery Surfaces at Iron Age Settlement
Archaeologists can't explain their bones at ancient site
- Excavations carried out ahead of highway work in England have revealed a mass grave full of … long-dead frogs. Experts are at a loss to explain the mass of 8,000 bones from roughly 350 frogs and toads, found buried in a long ditch beside an excavated roundhouse at Bar...
Know What This Is?
A Curious City
Would Like to Know
in case you missed it
Jun 12, 2022 12:25 PM CDT
Know What This Is? A Curious City Would Like to Know
Amarillo, Texas, looking for help to identify strange figure spotted outside zoo
- Is Sonic the Hedgehog looking for friends in Amarillo? Officials in the Texas city are asking for the public's help to identify an odd-looking object, possibly creature, spotted near the city zoo. In the "dark and early morning hours" of May 21, security cameras inside an Amarillo Zoo...
A Mysterious Hunt for Cash Is
Underway in a Canadian City
May 13, 2022 2:30 AM CDT
A Mysterious Hunt for Cash Is Underway in a Canadian City
Miramichi, New Brunswick, residents can thank Roman Dungarvan, whoever that is
- It'll be a Friday the 13th like no other in the small Canadian city of Miramichi. The New Brunswick locale is home to 17,600 people, and someone among them has started hiding $100 bills with sometimes creepy clues leading to them. And on Friday the 13th comes the...
Final Text Revealed From
Family Who Died on Trail
Feb 19, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Final Text Revealed From Family Who Died on Trail
From Jonathan Gerrish's phone: 'can you help us. ... No water or ver [over] heating with baby'
More is now known about the final hours of a California family who perished on a hike near Yosemite over the summer, thanks to dad Jonathan Gerrish's cellphone, reports CNN . Per the Mariposa County Sheriff's Office , some of the last things that Gerrish, wife Ellen Chung, and...
Wife of Cryptocurrency CEO
Maintains She Watched Him Die
Jan 19, 2022 10:40 AM CST
Wife of Cryptocurrency CEO Maintains She Watched Him Die
Jennifer Robertson talks about Gerald Cotten and his investors' missing money
- Gerald Cotten's death spurred plenty of grief, and not just for his friends and family—one of whom is "finally sharing her side of the story." The CEO of what was then Canada's biggest cryptocurrency exchange died in India from complications of Crohn's disease in...
Murdaugh's Wife Left a Will
Behind, but With One 'Oddity'
in case you missed it
Jan 2, 2022 8:00 AM CST
Murdaugh's Wife Left a Will Behind, but With One 'Oddity'
Someone had crossed off name of Maggie Murdaugh's sister as estate handler on 2005 doc
- The strange saga swirling around South Carolina's Murdaugh family continues, now involving the supposed final wishes of the late Maggie Murdaugh. NBC News reports the 52-year-old, found shot to death in June in her rural Islandton home along with 22-year-old son Paul Murdaugh, left behind a last will and...
Carbon Monoxide Killed
7 in Family, Tests Show
Dec 22, 2021 6:35 PM CST
Carbon Monoxide Killed 7 in Family, Tests Show
Source could be the furnace or a van in the garage, sheriff says
: Carbon monoxide poisoning, apparently accidental, killed seven family members whose bodies were found in their home, Minnesota officials said Wednesday. Ramsey County officials said blood tests showed a lethal level of carbon monoxide, the AP reports. Technicians couldn't find a problem with the furnace that would have caused...
Decades-Old Human Remains
Belong to 1960s Guitarist
in case you missed it
Dec 18, 2021 5:00 PM CST
Decades-Old Human Remains Belong to 1960s Guitarist
Frank Little Jr. was a member of the O'Jays
- The remains of a man have been identified almost 40 years after they were found—and it turns out he was once a member of an R&B group that has a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Frank "Frankie" Little Jr. was a guitarist for...
of La Palma Dogs
Is a Head-Scratcher
Oct 23, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mystery Rescue of La Palma Dogs Is a Head-Scratcher
'The dogs are fine,' said sign left behind by 'A Team,' ahead of drone meant to save them
- A drone operation was set to rescue several dogs from the Spanish island of La Palma, where they've been stranded in a yard surrounded by lava after a volcano eruption that's been going on for more than a month. There'd even been a test run that went...
Oct 11, 2021 8:51 AM CDT
New Hampshire Scratching Its Head Over Weekend 'Boom'
No one knows what caused loud noise, rattling homes experienced Sunday by hundreds
- A bang, a boom, houses shaking. Those were some of the descriptions reported by residents Sunday morning in sections of New Hampshire, and the cause as of early Monday remains a mystery. Per WMUR , people in dozens of towns across the central and southern parts of the state, as well...
The Anonymous Letters
Terrorized an Ohio Town
Aug 28, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
The Anonymous Letters Terrorized an Ohio Town
CBS News looks at the decades-old mystery
- The weirdness began in Circleville, Ohio, in 1977. And, spoiler alert, though CBS News'
digs way deep into the decades-old mystery, it remains one with plenty of theories and no certainty. In March of that year, anonymous letters started appearing in mailboxes accusing residents of everything from embezzlement...
Birds With Swollen Eyes Are
Dropping Dead in 6 States, DC
Jun 24, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Birds With Swollen Eyes Are Dropping Dead in 6 States, DC
Wildlife officials are trying to figure out what's afflicting hundreds of birds across US
- At the end of May, wildlife managers in the District of Columbia and multiple mid-Atlantic states started fielding reports about hundreds of sick and dying birds, afflicted with eye and nerve issues that couldn't be explained. Now, the mystery illness has spread to the South and Midwest, and scientists...
Jun 18, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
Someone Won $731M Here. Now, 'Strange Things' Are Happening
Powerball mystery continues in Lonaconing, Md.
- Whoever won this Powerball jackpot "is no fool." That's the assessment of the
, which covers a group of still-anonymous $731 million lottery winners in Lonaconing, Md., and the "strange things" that have been happening since the win was announced in January. Everyone in the...
Australia to Try to Solve
One of Its Greatest Mysteries
in case you missed it
May 23, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Australia to Try to Solve One of Its Greatest Mysteries
Somerton Man's remains exhumed in hopes of creating a DNA profile
- Australian authorities are hoping to get to the bottom of one of the 20th century's most intriguing cold cases : that of the still-unidentified Somerton Man, a suit-clad, 40-something man who was found dead on a beach near Adelaide—possibly by poison—on the morning of Dec. 1, 1948. Now,...
2nd Case of 'Havana
Syndrome' Near WH Emerges
May 17, 2021 8:38 AM CDT
2nd Case of 'Havana Syndrome' Near WH Emerges
Investigators still racking their brains to figure out what's caused dozens of mystery illnesses globally
- In 2019, a White House official walking her dog in Arlington, Va., suddenly experienced ringing in her ears, felt her face start to tingle, and came down with a headache. In early November 2020, a National Security Council official fell ill after walking near the Ellipse , on the White House'...
Mystery Ailment Strips
Bears of Their Fear of Humans
Mar 29, 2021 11:18 AM CDT
Mystery Ailment Strips Bears of Their Fear of Humans
It's also causing fatal brain inflammation in bears out West
- Wildlife officials in California are worried about a strange ailment that appears to strip young bears of their fear of humans—and also is causing fatal brain inflammation. Cases have been turning up in the state since at least 2014, including four in the last year, reports CBS Sacramento . As...
15 Human Feet
Mar 28, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
15 Human Feet Washed Ashore. Here's Why
The mystery started in 2007
- "Please don’t call them 'severed feet.'" So says forensic scientist Gail Anderson of Simon Fraser University, whose research involving dead pigs plays a big role in getting to the bottom of a mystery that flummoxed Canadian locals and police near the Salish Sea off British...
Airline: We'll Tell You
Where You're Going,
Just Before You Land
Mar 3, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Airline: We'll Tell You Where You're Going, Just Before You Land
Qantas resumes 'mystery flights' for Australian passengers
- Australia's flag carrier has just the thing for people desperate to get away, so long as they don't care where they're going. In the hope of boosting the beleaguered tourism industry amid international travel restrictions, Qantas is asking Australian passengers to hop aboard one of three "...
Man Furious Someone Painted
Cookie Monster on His Building
in case you missed it
Dec 20, 2020 7:05 AM CST
Man Furious Someone Painted Cookie Monster on His Building
Artist in Peoria, Ill., says he was paid by building owner 'Nate' to create mural; real owner says no
- The monolith isn't the only artistic mystery floating around these days. On Dec. 1, artist Joshua Hawkins proudly thanked the team that helped him paint a huge Cookie Monster mural on the side of a vacant building in Peoria, Ill., which he'd been commissioned to create at the...
51 Years Later, a 'Zodiac Killer'
Cipher Has Been Solved
Dec 12, 2020 6:00 AM CST
51 Years Later, a 'Zodiac Killer' Cipher Has Been Solved
Code-breaking trio solves one of the ciphers the killer sent to 'San Francisco Chronicle' in 1969
- For 14 years, Virginia web designer David Oranchak has been toiling away on one of America's greatest mysteries: the "340 Cipher," a 340-character puzzle sent to the
San Francisco Chronicle
more than 50 years ago by the infamous "Zodiac Killer," who murdered at least five...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Cheney: 'Trump Can Never Be Near the Oval Office Again'
Teen's Sudden Mental Collapse Ended in a National Park
'Miracle Boy' in Florida Condo Collapse Tells His Story
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.